The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default kneeling in combat

I know that kneeling in combat gives you +2 to your AC against ranged attacks, but I thought it also gave a bonus to ranged attacks because of the greater stabilization. Is that true? If not, is there an ability that does that?
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar. | Unless stated otherwise, my post is referring to 3E/3.5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: kneeling in combat

You take a longbow

and try squatting and then firing

that did NOT make it easier.

But i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of thing you could do to munchkin your way to a +2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    You take a longbow

and try squatting and then firing

that did NOT make it easier.

But i wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of thing you could do to munchkin your way to a +2
    Crossbow? Ray spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    I know that kneeling in combat gives you +2 to your AC against ranged attacks, but I thought it also gave a bonus to ranged attacks because of the greater stabilization. Is that true? If not, is there an ability that does that?
    Not according to this table. Note that you get -2 AC to melee attacks too when kneeling. You don't get a bonus while prone either, which would give even more stability. (Although this obviously only applies to crossbows) Personally, I would also rule that when kneeling, longbows are out, although shortbows should be OK. Hmm, +2 to hit kneeling, +4 to hit prone (provided weapon is usable). Would that be too much?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's take a look here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/com...ableConditions

This table lacks any mention of a bonus gained for kneeling, so I guess there is none. And, I've not heard of any such ability existing. I don't believe there is any rule to support it.

Damn Ninja.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2009-06-17 at 08:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
    Not according to this table. Note that you get -2 AC to melee attacks too when kneeling. You don't get a bonus while prone either, which would give even more stability. (Although this obviously only applies to crossbows) Personally, I would also rule that when kneeling, longbows are out, although shortbows should be OK. Hmm, +2 to hit kneeling, +4 to hit prone (provided weapon is usable). Would that be too much?
    I would think that's a bit much. If you want to give more for prone I would only give +1 for kneeling and +2 to prone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by talus21 View Post
    I would think that's a bit much. If you want to give more for prone I would only give +1 for kneeling and +2 to prone.
    Sounds better to me, too. Charging only grants as much as a +2 in melee. Higher ground only gives a +1.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Crossbow? Ray spells?
    Using a crossbow while squatting would result in you shifting to prone position pretty quickly.