New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Looking for D&D novel recommendations

I'm looking for some good fantasy reading material to buy off amazon. Can someone suggest a good D&D novel, preferably Forgotten Realms, that I can enjoy without having read 20 others to know all the characters and situations?

And please don't say R.A. Salvatore. I hate his writing style.
    I'll be thankful for any other suggestion.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for D&D novel recommendations

I'm not a huge FR fan, but I DO love a lot of the Dragonlance novels. If you haven't read those, I'd suggest grabbing the Chronicles trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) and then going from there. There are a TON of DL novels, some good, some bad, but in general the ones by Weis & Hickman are good, as are most of the ones by Richard Knaak.

For Forgotten Realms, I'm reading the new(ish) "Swordmage" and it's pretty good. Not the best plot-wise, but enjoyable. I'll probably pick up the sequel when it hits paperback. Note, though, that it's set AFTER the 100+ year jump between 3rd Edition D&D and 4th Edition D&D, so most of Faerun has been pretty wildly changed.

Also, you said you don't like Salvatore, but if you haven't read the Cleric Quintet, you might could try the first in that series. It's a lot different than his Drizz't books, and I know a lot of folks that like that series better than all of the Drizz't ones.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Starlight & Shadows books by (I believe) Elaine Cunningham.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I can help if you're looking for series:

Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy was good, as I recall. I only read them once, which is why my memory is fuzzy, but they were pretty good as far as D&D intrigue goes.

The War of the Spider Queen had some serious, serious issues in the later books, but the first one (Dissolution, by Richard Lee Byers) was fun.

Paul Kidd's Greyhawk novels (Return to White Plume Mountain, Descent into the Depths of the Earth and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits) are about as typical D&D novels as you can get; maybe a bit too humorous for some, but there's no accounting for taste.

Elaine Cunningham had two series and a novel. The series were about Arilyn Moonblade (not bad, but certainly dropping off in quality as time went on) and Liriel Baenre (marred, in my opinion, by D&D's screwed up magic. The Dresden Files does it much better). The novel, Evermeet, is great if you love elves and historicals. Otherwise...not so much.

That's all that's springing to mind, for the non-Salvatore, non-continuity Forgotten Realms novels. If I think of another, I'll add it in.

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Also, you said you don't like Salvatore, but if you haven't read the Cleric Quintet, you might could try the first in that series. It's a lot different than his Drizz't books, and I know a lot of folks that like that series better than all of the Drizz't ones.
    I did read the Dragonlance novels back in my college days, and the cleric series shortly after that. And what I mostly remember about the CQ is Salvatore's attempts at slapstick humor in prose form, and how incredibly painful I found the experience.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

6. - Top - End - #6

I was about to say 'Dark Elf Triology' until I saw your note. Oh well. I'm not a fan of Salvatore but I liked that series (and didn't like anything else).

I recommend War of the Spider Queen, which is both original and impressively well written. I find that the quality starts to diminish slowly from fourth book onwards (there are six, I believe), but if you've enjoyed the first tree, it will be barely noticeable.
    Overall, the series stands out as some really good work that I am not used to finding in D&D novels (no offense to their writers).
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoyed the Moonshae Isle trilogy, by (I think) Douglas Niles.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I, too, recommend War of The Spider Queen. It's surprisingly good for a gaming-related novel, although the quality varies between the authors.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm not a huge FR fan, but I DO love a lot of the Dragonlance novels. If you haven't read those, I'd suggest grabbing the Chronicles trilogy (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) and then going from there. There are a TON of DL novels, some good, some bad, but in general the ones by Weis & Hickman are good, as are most of the ones by Richard Knaak.
    QFT man also pick the twin series
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

I thought the Haunted Lands trilogy was alright. It takes place in Thay and works it's way from just before the spellplague to several years after and features Szass Tam as the primary villain.

The Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy was interesting, if somewhat chaotic at times. It does feature well known characters like Elminster and Manshoon, but their past deeds aren't critical to the story. It takes place well before the spellplague. It features lots and lots of magic (and descriptions of the impacts the spells should actually have) if you like that kind of thing.

I am on the second swordmage book and would give a similar recommendation as rtg0922.

For stand alones I thought Blackstaff was okay, but it does have some world changing events occur in it (which they give you the back story you need to understand them). Bloodwalk was interesting and featured a bloodmage which is the only one I have come across. The City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel was decent (and long, in comparison to the majority of FR paperbacks) and gives you an inside look at some of the parts of the city.

In general, the stand alone books (The Wizards series, The Citadels, etc) seem to be decent and don't depend on mountains of back story.

Also, I echo the call to check out more DL books. The Twins Trilogy was the high point in my mind. The others by Weis and Hickman are all decent. The new ones filling in gaps in the original trilogy are good too. I thought the second one was the better of the two released so far.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm not a fan of FR Books in general, but, War of the Spider Queen is rather good. And it's follow-up The Lady Penitent is reasonable.
    I also liked The Avatar Series, which dealt with the Time of Troubles. It was interesting to know what happened. Although, once you read it, you can't un-read it. I used to use my imagination for what happened in the ToT...Not anymore. But Mask is still awesome, and always will be.

My all-time favourite D&D books, are the DragonLance ones. And I heartily recommend you read those.

There are a TON of DL novels, some good, some bad, but in general the ones by Weis & Hickman are good, as are most of the ones by Richard Knaak.
    My favourite set has to be The Minotaur Wars by Richard A. Knaak; it is awesome. Primarily because it's got minotaurs and it's got ogres...And they fight. A lot.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-06-18 at 10:44 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Seconding the Avatar series. Falls apart a bit in the fourth book, but I found the final book (The Trial of Cyric?) to be brilliant.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    My favourite set has to be The Minotaur Wars by Richard A. Knaak; it is awesome. Primarily because it's got minotaurs and it's got ogres...And they fight. A lot.
    Haven't read those, but I LOVED the Legends books about Huma and Kaz the Minotaur.

With the Avatar series, I probably wouldn't recommend it. Some people love it, but I personally hated it and couldn't get through the second book.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Douglas Niles has also written some gems among the series, my personal favourite being 'Puppet King.' Jeff Grubb is famous (I think) for his portrayal of gnomes, so 'Seige of Mount Nevermind' is worth a look too. And though the third one kind of annoyed me Margaret Weis' new 'Dark Acolyte' trilogy is gripping. I've also heard good things about Jean Rabe.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I can honestly say that I've never read a Dungeons and Dragons novel I'd recommend. Maybe I'm just picky about which ones I'm willing to suggest others read, or maybe I'm just picky in general, but so far I've been willing to label such novels as, at best, pretty good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad. Crucible is the sequel to Prince of Lies.

The basic plot of both novels involve a lot of pantheon politics. Gods striving against gods and you get a good look at Forgotten Realm's afterlife. Mostly about how Cyric wants to wrest power from the rest of the pantheon, as per usual.

I'm a sucker of stories involving flawed gods with almost human characteristics (e.g. Greek mythology) and it's rather interesting to see the gods as characters who have personalities and perceptions almost exclusively limited to their sphere of influence.

For example, Cyric is a god of madness and lies. So he'll entertain a lot of narcissistic delusions of his own power, perfection, generosity, righteousness etc. Crucible is itself recounted from the perspective of a reluctant prophet of Cyric, Malik, who was not particularly devout but was nonetheless sent on a suicidal mission by the god -- so it's interesting in that he's an unreliable narrator.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-06-19 at 09:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I find R.A. Salvatore to be very hit-or-miss. The big war battles are well written, but his writing just feels awkward when the individual characters are out "adventuring" for some reason.

One book that I recently picked up and enjoyed was The Queen of Stone: Thorn of Breland by Keith Baker. It's more of a stealth-and-spy than a dragon hunt, and it's set in Eberron, but I found it a very nice read.

I haven't read anything else to recommend, though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I absolutely adore some of the Ravenloft novels.

Carnival of Fear, I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire I Strahd: the War Against Azalin, Knight of the Black Rose, and Spectre of the Black Rose are all excellent.

- Yulian

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Do not, do not, DO NOT!!! Read Soldiers of Ice by David Cook. It was the most horribly written Forgotten Realms novel in existence.

I understand the need to have a hero that does not always clean house with every enemy they face (such as the case with Arilyn Moonblade (although, I gotta say I love Elaine Cunningham's characters, with the possible exception of Danilo Thann. I am more of a fighter type anyway), but do not give me a hero that spends two thirds of the novel injured and in bed.

Azure Bonds, however was a pretty decent book. So was Crown of Fire. If you want a read that gives you a good history of the most prominent character in the realms, try reading Elminster: The Making of a Mage. It tells you a lot about his history.
    Last edited by Xenre; 2009-06-20 at 05:18 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm not a big fan of Forgotten Realms.

The only D&D novels other then the Dragonlace twins series and the war of the lance that I enjoyed was The Dreaming Dark Series by Keith Baker

Then again...i'm an Eberron junky.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

You know what the worst thing ever is?

Any collection of Dragonlance short stories ever.

One or two tolerable stories. A mountain of shuddering, pulsating dreck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post

Agreed.

Anyway, I'd recommend the FR moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles - they've got a nice plot, even though the characters are, with the exception of Newt, generic.
    Any bad guy who looks at O-Chul goes blind from sheer awesomeness.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Try Heroes and Fools then. It's the best of the bunch.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'll second the Ravenloft books that Yulian mentioned, with the caveat that most of the Ravenloft books he didn't mention generally suck. Though if you're going to read The War Against Azalin, you should probably read the other Azalin book. I think it's called Lord of the Necropolis.

I always kind of dug the Dark Sun "Prism Pentad," whose author I can't think of off the top of my head. And the first couple of Spelljammer books from the Cloakmaster cycle were tolerable.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Wraith View Post
    Agreed.

Anyway, I'd recommend the FR moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles - they've got a nice plot, even though the characters are, with the exception of Newt, generic.
    If I recall correctly isn’t that the one where the most powerful character on the island is *drumroll* a bard… with a bow. and the party gets their butts kicked by a boar, (not even a razorboar, just a boar).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    If I recall correctly isn’t that the one where the most powerful character on the island is *drumroll* a bard… with a bow. and the party gets their butts kicked by a boar, (not even a razorboar, just a boar).
    Just because they're level one doesn't mean you have to make fun
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

27. - Top - End - #27

I can honestly say that I've never read a Dungeons and Dragons novel I'd recommend. Maybe I'm just picky about which ones I'm willing to suggest others read, or maybe I'm just picky in general, but so far I've been willing to label such novels as, at best, pretty good.
    Same, same, same here.

And I've used up my helpful and constructive post count for the day. Bye.
    silver

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Just because they're level one doesn't mean you have to make fun
    Yeah, but it was one boar, a party of level ones should have been able to take it down. I mean they only have 25 hit points and AC 16.

29. - Top - End - #29

Oh, were we supposed to be recommending books that are actually good? Yeah... there aren't any. I figured we were just looking for "relatively good, compared to others within the category."
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

30. - Top - End - #30

Aisde from someone whom I really really liked dying in the end of the War of the Spider Queen novels what exactly were the problems?
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.