New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fantasy novel reccomendations?

See the title. I'm looking for a new fantasy book to read, but there's kind of a lot of them out there. I find that staring at bookshelves and waiting for divine inspiration is fairly inefficient, so I'm relying on the collective experience of the entire "Media Discussions" forum to help me choose the next novel I'll read.

My preferences, in approximate order of importance:
    • Good characterization. This is a must. I don't really see any point in reading a novel that doesn't get inside a character's head.
    • Magic should be surreal and mysterious. I'm not necessarily opposed to characters having magic, so long as the novel can still maintain an air of mystery about it (ie not having everyone in the world capable of casting the same exact spell in the same exact way).
    • I'd prefer a modern setting, but I'm more than willing to waive that if the setting is well-thought-out and developed. In the latter case, I enjoy having setting elements introduced naturally rather than thrown in with exposition.

Note that I consider "scifi + psionics" or "scifi + aliens" to be fantasy. Also, the overall level of magic is irrelevant (I've enjoyed everything from the extremely-rare-but-powerful of A Song of Ice and Fire to the can't-swing-a-cat-in-here-without-it-turning-into-a-manticore of The Dark Tower).

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy novel reccomendations?

Have you ever read any Discworld? They are mostly comedies in a fantasy setting, but many of them are fantastic fantasies in their own right.

The Witch novels are probably the best examples. They tend to be serious meditations on the conventions of fantasy, fairy tales and even Shakespeare, but are also hilarious and intelligent.

And for good characterization you can't do better than Granny Weatherwax. Strarting from her second appearance in Wyrd Sisters she has evolved into one of the most compelling fantasy characters I have ever encountered. I wouldn't trade her for a hundred Drizzts.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Have you ever read any Discworld? They are mostly comedies in a fantasy setting, but many of them are fantastic fantasies in their own right.

The Witch novels are probably the best examples. They tend to be serious meditations on the conventions of fantasy, fairy tales and even Shakespeare, but are also hilarious and intelligent.

And for good characterization you can't do better than Granny Weatherwax. Strarting from her second appearance in Wyrd Sisters she has evolved into one of the most compelling fantasy characters I have ever encountered. I wouldn't trade her for a hundred Drizzts.
    I'm not sure you can't do better than Weatherwax.

I mean, Vimes at the very least comes very close.

Also: Seconded. So very hard.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Edited: Sorry, I didn't notice you read A Song of Ice and Fire already.
    Last edited by Puppeteer; 2009-06-20 at 07:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really like David B. Coe's Winds of the Forelands series which starts with Rules of Ascension. Very rich world, wonderful characters, and really beautifully written.

The magic is only practiced by a small number of refugees from the far south of the continent, who are given leave to practice by the ruling elite, but if they possess one of the more powerful versions, they're put to death.

You get a lot of comparisons to George R.R. Martin, except this series finished on schedule.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm utterly not surprised the first recommendation was Discworld. It's impossible not to mention it if you have read any. Which means this is a thirding.

I'm not sure you can't do better than Weatherwax.

I've always felt they were quite equal. And even though both are awesomer, I prefer Rincewind to them.

And for a breath of fresh air into the thread, so to speak, I'll recommend Elantris from Brandon Sanderson. Characterization isn't Pratchett awesome (then again, who is?), but it's very good. The overall atmosphere is great as well.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Vimes may be the best character I have ever encountered period. It's just that he is a bit less of a "fantasy character" than Esme. She's a not-exactly-wicked witch, he's a hardboiled cop. He just happens to live on Discworld.

Though some pretty weird stuff does happen to him. He has faced werewolves and vampires, fought dragons, traveled in time, and hired sentient crockery as a policeman. So I guess you can't treat him as being entirely "normal".

Incidentally, if he is ever portrayed in a live action movie, I want Alan Rickman to play him. That would be awesome beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    I've always felt they were quite equal. And even though both are awesomer, I prefer Rincewind to them.
    Like him too. Never before has a protagonist made running away screaming more fascinating.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-06-20 at 08:27 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you read any of Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine books? They certainly meet your 3rd criteria, and I would consider them to meet your first. The second is less certain - all Necromances can do the same things, for example, but they all do them differently.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Judging by your criteria, I'd say you absolutely, positively must read Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clarke, quite possibly the best fantasy nove published since Lord of the Rings. I really mean that.

Not modern, but set in England during the early 19th century, during the era of the Napoleonic Wars - definetly a change from the standard medievalesque fantasy setting. The premise is that magic used to permeate the world and Faery regualrly interacted with the mundane plane, but it long ago retreated and no real magic had been seen for a couple hundred years. THere are 'magicians' ,but they're actually men who like to write papers and talk about the theory of magic - no one can actually do anything. Then Mr. Nolrrel appears, a man who can actually do real magic, followed soon after by Jonathon Strange, who becomes Norrel's pupil for awhile.

The characterization is amazing - up there with Dickens, really. Magic is awe-inspiring, and fairies are scary as hell.

Susanna Clarke's website is a great place to get a feel for the work.

http://www.jonathanstrange.com/

Check it out now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Vimes may be the best character I have ever encountered period. It's just that he is a bit less of a "fantasy character" than Esme. She's a not-exactly-wicked witch, he's a hardboiled cop. He just happens to live on Discworld.

Though some pretty weird stuff does happen to him. He has faced werewolves and vampires, fought dragons, traveled in time, and hired sentient crockery as a policeman. So I guess you can't treat him as being entirely "normal".

Incidentally, if he is ever portrayed in a live action movie, I want Alan Rickman to play him. That would be awesome beyond belief.
    Rickman is awesome, don't get me wrong, and I'm sure he'd do an excellent job, but, I dunno.

I mean, Vimes is described as a man who, if he didn't restrain himself, would just be a brute, a nasty, incredibly efficient thug, nothing more. The fact he isn't is his triumph.

Rickman's always seemed a thinker at heart, more Vetinarian. For Vimes you'd want someone worn, but still seeming able to beat you to death with his bare hands, while managing to convey a good amount of depth.

Actually, although he'd be nowhere near perfect, in a few years Adam Baldwin might be a halfway decent choice. Not saying definitely, but...

Oh, and had another possibly insane idea. Jack McBrayer (Kenneth on 30 Rock) as Carcer Dunn.

Discuss.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-21 at 01:38 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

11. - Top - End - #11

Not sure if this has been recommended yet but the Hunters Blades Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore amazing books.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I think "fantasy", painted with a very broad brush, is the best description of Stephen King's The Dark Tower Cycle. The story of Roland and his companions is epic fantasy writ large, and one of the finest pieces of fiction I've ever read.

The characterization is impeccable, that being what King does best, and every single one of the main characters and villains will stick with you for years to come.

The magic is mysterious, mutable, and remains undefined throughout the series, though magic is certainly present it adds to the setting more than taking center stage.

The setting is modern in some places, post-apocalyptic in others, wild-west/Victorian/medieval in still others. No matter where King takes you, however, it still feels like the world of The Tower.

I seriously can't recommend these books enough if you haven't read them.

13. - Top - End - #13

Not sure if this book counts as fantasy or not, but I really liked The Healer by Michael Blumlein. Basically, there are two sets of sentient races: Your boring, everyday Human, and the Grotesques (Tesques for short), which are the same as humans except for two things: First, they have some sort of cranial deformity, ranging from a slight swelling to a frickin horn; Second, they have another orifice on their torso, rather like a vagina. A very small percentage of Tesques (like 1/10,000) can psychically meld with humans, root out their sickness, make the illness take a physical form, and excrete it through the extra orifice. Of course, these Tesques are found at a young age, taken from their parents by force if necessary, and trained to use their talents to best serve humans. Eventually, a healer will go through the Draining, become unable to heal anyone, and succumb to insanity and disease themselves, often before they are 25, and any healer who attempts to heal their fellow will suffer the same fate. The book follows a Healer, one with seemingly unlimited potential for ferreting out diseases, and more importantly, he seems to be immune to Draining.

The first time I read this book, I was like "Huh. Well, that was weird" and took it back to the library. But I found myself unable to stop thinking about it, and I checked it out again and reread it, and it's become one of my favorite books.

I also recommend the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

14. - Top - End - #14

Bartimeaus trilogy is my favourite young adult series ever.

It's chronicled the story of the two main character, Nathaniel the upstart young wizard, and the witty genie bartimeaus. Set in alternate present day, but where solomon style magic (using spirit) is abound and with that, a lot of difference with our present. For example, the british imperium is still strong, and america is still in their hand.

The magic is mysterious and consistent, and more importantly, the characters are great. You can see nathaniel's change and the change on his relationship with bartimeaus, from the idealistic apprentice at the first book, to the dour magician at the last book.

Jonathan strange and Mr Norell is my newest favourite book.

Often described as "Arthur Conan Doyle meet Jane Austen meet Neil Gaiman" It chronicled the life of two magician from an alternate victorian age where magic was abound... at the past. In this setting, magicians in the 19th century are reduced to 'theoritical magician' that's basically something like ineffectual magic historian, and usually consisted of rich people without better things to do.

The two titular magicians were magicians who were propechied to bring magic back.

It's written in the style of Jane Austen novel, only with you know, magic. Full of charm, wit, parody and humor, beside its smart idea and writing, and somewhat realistic urban fantasy with fairy and magic in london. And it's supposed to be a real historical book, so it's filled with footnotes (sometimes even filling 3/4 of a page).

And it got Duke of Wellington defeating Napoleon with strategic and logistical use of magic!

It's a really thick book though. It may take you a while to read it.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-06-21 at 01:56 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #15

Ooh! And the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabriel (Probably contains spoilers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For the more off-mainstream, I'd try the Black Company. Really connects you to the narrator, great development of the villian, fun stories about a bunch of mercenaries running around.

Fit's the first two criteria perfectly.

For the third... well, I think the author Chales Lint, does good 'modern' fantasy. Tried it, wasn't my thing, but was okay.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The Opening of the World series by Harry Turtledove is excellent. Only the first two books are out, but the third should probably be published sometime this year.

EDIT: Also, The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump, by the same author. Modern setting.
    Last edited by Worira; 2009-06-21 at 02:12 AM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Neil Gaiman basically fits your criteria. He writes modern fantasy, usually about fantasy that lies around the edges of what we consider normal. Of his works, I'd recommend Neverwhere or American Gods first.

Neverwhere is basically about a normal guy who gets pulled into London Below, where all the people who slip through the cracks go. People from regular London see the inhabitants of London Below as beggars or homeless when they see them at all. It's a modern urban fantasy with fun characters and is one of my favorite books.

American Gods explores why America is poor ground for gods. Shadow, recently released from jail, joins up with the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, but is caught up is something larger than he can believe.
    Last edited by Joran; 2009-06-21 at 02:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

Good Sir, I second Joran's statement! Sincerely I must place my weight behind an endorsement of American Gods. It will prove a delight on several levels and should you be one to enjoy analysis, it is a text to be examined from several angles including historical, and hermeneutical.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Pete Postlethwaite and Clint Eastwood are both close approximations (Pete according to Terry Pratchett, Clint in the art)

Now that Vimes is getting old, Pete should be about right- Terry Pratchett said "I imagine him as looking something like a young Pete Postlethwaite)" in the Art of Discworld book

21. - Top - End - #21

Zombie

Drezden files by Jim Butcher. is exactly what you are asking for.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGirl

The Firekeeper Saga by Jane Lindskold. I very much enjoyed these books. Primarily a low magic fantasy with great character development and interaction.

Donnerjack by Roger Zelazny (finished by Jane Lindskold). This books leans more towards the sci-fi than the fantasy, but I think it fits your criteria well.

The Morgaine Stories by C.J. Cherryh. I never did get a chance to read the fourth book, but the first three were great.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

23. - Top - End - #23

I really like Tamora Pierce, Anne McCaffery and Tad Williams. Not sure how many of those will be to your taste, but could be worth a shot. You might also like Carpetworld or Carpetland or something like that.

24. - Top - End - #24

Gonna have to throw in my vote for both Terry Pratchett's Discworld series which is my favourite series and I have read it several times through, and Neil Gaiman's American Gods which is this playgrounders favourite book period(to the point I read it about once a month or so... yes, it's a sad obsession but no, no I don't care).

Also, on the note of Gaiman & Pratchett. Modern Fantasy = Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Garth Nix yep
    Bartimaeus also yep
    Discworld super yep (personally my faves are the guard books and death books)

If you don't mind the constant feeling that your reading a reworked LotR then the first 3 Shannara books are fine.

May I also direct you to Kevin Crossley Hollands Arthur books as well? They aren't strictly speaking high fantasy as there is very little extraordinary things bar Merlin and the first books titular seeing stone, but they are an interesting take upon the old English legend

hehe Good Omens is nice, though i'd say more in the realms of Parody than fantasy perhaps
    Last edited by Jair Barik; 2009-06-21 at 08:18 AM.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I'll third (or so) the recommendation for Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. And I'll fifth or sixth the recommendation for Neil Gaiman; it's hard to go wrong with any of his stuff.

And I'll second the recommendation on Glen Cook, though I find some of his other stuff to be even better than the Black Company books - the Garrett books (hardboiled PI in fantasy land) are very good as pure humor, and the Dread Empire books are excellent "straight" fantasy with just the right amount of black humor for seasoning (IMO).

I'll also second (or third, or whatever) the recommendation for Tad Williams, though again I'd recommend starting at a different point. Specifically, one of his single-volume works - meaning either Tailchaser's Song or The War of the Flowers - rather than one of his series. If you decide you like those, then you can move on to the multi-volume stuff.

Last but not least, I'm a little surprised that the thread has gotten this far without someone at least mentioning Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen - it's pretty massive, and it can be rough going at times, but it sounds like just what the doctor ordered for you.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #27

I'll check out Jonathan Strange based on the recommendations of this thread. I was always curious about the book, but never thought about picking it up.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

28. - Top - End - #28

Just saying that I kinda worship Neil Gaiman, and neverwhere is my favourite novel, ever.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #29

Monday Starts on Saturday, and its somewhat less good sequel, Tale of the Troika, by the Strugatsky brothers. Make sure you find a good translation, though.
    The books were written roughly 40 years ago when there was no real classification of fantasy as a genre in Russia, so it's got some very interesting scifi elements. The main character is a programmer, for example, working with what is today hopelessly obsolete technology. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but science and magic mix in funny ways. It's also not very long. However, a number of references may be lost on a foreign reader, sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: read Lois McMaster Bujold. For fantasy you specifically want The Curse of Chalion. It contains the best characterization I have ever read in a fantasy novel (and I have read quite a lot of them). Also, the magic fits in perfectly (and mysteriously) with the setting. Medieval setting, though, not modern.

For a modern setting with great characterization and very mysterious - but completely grounded in British folk traditions - magic, I highly recommend the work of Diana Wynne Jones. She writes YA books, but I love them just as much as an adult as I did when I was a teen. Books set in the present(ish) day include: Fire and Hemlock, Hexwood, The Time of the Ghost, The Ogre Downstairs and Eight Days of Luke.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.