Abjuration
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, M/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal (self)
    Duration: 1 round
    Saving Throw: None (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: None

Anti-Magic Fields cannot negate certain powerful magic, such as some epic spells, artifacts, and deities. Arcane Charge increases the magical energy of a spell to likewise override an AM field.

A caster performing an Arcane Charge is surrounded by a glowing aura of crackling power. Any one spell they immediately cast next, either on their next turn or as a quickened spell, can function for one round inside an anti-magic field (both cast within and cast from outside). If they do not immediately cast a spell the Arcane Charge is wasted. Even with an Arcane Charge, spells with ongoing durations will become suppressed after functioning for one round. It cannot work with Delayed spells.

Arcane Charge only opposes anti-magic fields, and doesn't affect saving throws, caster level, or any other aspect of magic. Arcane Charge cannot be cast within an Anti-Magic Field unless another Arcane Charge was cast to allow it before entering the field. One could potentially keep casting Arcane Charge inside an AM field this way until running out of spell slots.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-06-22 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Anti-Magic Field Counter: Arcane Charge

I'd restrict it to "spells lower in level than Arcane Charge", or "spells whose effective levels totals up to less than Arcane Charge's level, including any heightening effects on Arcane Charge, over a period of 1 round per caster level".

Ie, add some complexity to it. You can Arcane Charge, then toss out a bunch of non-metamagiced level 1 spells. Or you can heighten your Arcane Charge, then use it to get a level 8 spell off.

One could even push it another step, and make the level of spells that can be cast via the Arcane Charge be at most half the level of Arcane Charge. Ie, it wouldn't completely negate AMFs, but instead cost you a level 6 + level 3 slot, and two actions, to land a level 3 spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

No.

They have enough ways to stay alive.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Silence caster hater, your heretical words will not be tolerated here. -casts Disintegrate and sweeps the dust under the rug-

I like the idea; it reminds me of these spells;

Enhance Magical Flow, Lesser
    Universal
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: Standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Spell Resistance: No (Harmless)

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +1, and you gain a +2 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 10 gp.

Enhance Magical Flow
    Universal
    Level: Sor/Wiz 4

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +2, and you gain a +4 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 50 gp.

Enhance Magical Flow, Greater
    Universal
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6

All the Difficulty Classes of your spells increase by +3, and you gain a +6 bonus to your effective caster level to overcome a targets spell resistance. This does not stack with any other Enhance Magical Flow spell.

Material Component: A small crystal worth at least 100 gp.

Ring of Enhanced Magical Flow (Lesser): This decorative mithril ring has several glyphs etched on its surface, and a single elegant star sapphire studded in the center for display. Looking inside this gem shows thousands of tiny lights dancing within. These rings bestow a constant effect of the Lesser Enhanced Magical Flow spell, and while worn the wearer is filled with a tangible buzz of energy.
    Moderate Universal; CL 3rd; Forge Ring, Lesser Enhanced Magical Flow, Price 19,500 gp.

Maybe you could use something like these and add something like "you can make a caster level check to retain the ability to cast spells in a anti-magic field, and must make a spellcraft check to cast a spell?"
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2009-06-22 at 04:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

There are exactly two spells to get around an anti-magic field. Disjunction and Invoke Magic. All are 8th to 9th level. That should be a clue to you. And to be honest, Astral_Fire is right. Caster's don't need another boost by removing one of their weaknesses.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

And Invoke Magic only allows a 4th level spell or lower, while Disjunction has a low percent chance of working.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think its a great spell, and it has a huge weakness it lasts one round, sure i can burn through all my spell slots, or i could cast one spell makes sense to me

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by nysisobli View Post
    I think its a great spell, and it has a huge weakness it lasts one round, sure i can burn through all my spell slots, or i could cast one spell makes sense to me
    Problem is that it has to be the very next spell you cast. So casting Arcane Charge multiple times doesn't let you cast multiple other spells, it just lets you enter an antimagic field and delay casting a spell for a few rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    There are exactly two spells to get around an anti-magic field. Disjunction and Invoke Magic. All are 8th to 9th level. That should be a clue to you. And to be honest, Astral_Fire is right. Caster's don't need another boost by removing one of their weaknesses.
    My reasoning is that there should be a spell of equivalent level to the AM field to counter it. A level 6 spell that can only be stopped by a level 9? This doesn't complete negate it either. A caster can only act every other turn, or cast quickened spells, and burns through many spell slots.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-06-22 at 08:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought a targeted Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel Magic disabled a anti-magic field? I forgot, but I swear I have something along those lines.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    I thought a targeted Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel Magic disabled a anti-magic field? I forgot, but I swear I have something along those lines.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD
    Dispel magic does not remove the field, though Mage's Disjunction might.
    To be precise, Disjunction has a 1% chance per caster level to negate the field and remove it. That's already a pretty slim chance, and you're burning a 9th level spell for it. You could argue that this means that Anti-Magic Fields shouldn't be more easily countered, or that it means that Anti-Magic Fields are too difficult to counter as it is.