New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIII: Because We're Lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    @Keris: Huh? Squark was my own invention, albiet with elements of Star Wars, Doctor Who, and D&D added in. I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.
    I was referring to Illel.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    I was referring to Illel.
    Who? Boring text
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Oh....

Illel is still... around. I'm trying to figure out what to do with him, since I like the idea of him having survived and been forgotten due to an eternally botched spellcraft check (there's a 50-50 chance of surviving that maneuver he used to kill Sildyu, but it was never discussed in comic, and it doesn't bar resurrection. Kraagor was different: the snarl unmade his soul, so there was nothing to resurrect in Oots). Plus it solves why the Order of the Driving Lance or whatever they call it didn't try to resurrect Illel, or it failed.

I think the Squarks are just going to mention him from time to time.

For those of you who don't remember, Illel was one of the Order of the Driving Lance, The Order of the Scribble Analog from the backstory. See KP's exposition comics (comics 41-43 in the archive)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Who? Boring text
    Illel was a member of the Order of the Driving Lance, the group of adventurers who defeated Sildyu in Kippy's original exposition, back in the early days of the plot. Links: I II III

In the original comics, Illel sacrificed himself to destroy Sildyu. However, Squark retconned this, instead stating he had been whisked away by Squark and trained as a Jedi. You can see Squark's version here: I II
    There was an earlier appearance, but I can't locate it atm, due to the forum's lousy search function.

And I know Squark has ninja'd me here, but I blame the waiting period between searches.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-07 at 10:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll be with very very little internet, if any, for the next few days. So don't go into my room, and if you hear any noises coming from in there, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

Also, don't forget to water my plants and feed the Machinists. Seeya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Illel was a member of the Order of the Driving Lance, the group of adventurers who defeated Sildyu in Kippy's original exposition, back in the early days of the plot. Links: I II III

In the original comics, Illel sacrificed himself to destroy Sildyu. However, Squark retconned this, instead stating he had been whisked away by Squark and trained as a Jedi. You can see Squark's version here: I II
    There was an earlier appearance, but I can't locate it atm, due to the forum's lousy search function.

And I know Squark has ninja'd me here, but I blame the waiting period between searches.
    Actually, the retcon was me noticing a plot...

Well, it wasn't big enough to be a plot hole... Missing plot atom, maybe? Maybe more of a missing plot quark. Actually, it was probably smaller than a quark.

Anyway, it bugged me that a) the fact that there's a 50-50 chance of surviving a retributive strike, by being tossed into some random plane, and b) unlike Kraagor's death (in which the Snarl unmade him, so no resurrection or speak with dead is possible), there was nothing stopping people from resurrecting Illel, or at least casting contact other plane or anything like that. So I came up with the idea that he had survived, but AP botched his spellcraft check so badly that when the resurrection failed, he assumed the retributive strike had mangled his soul and rendered resurrection and the like impossible. Of course, because of my erratic drifting in and out of the plot, this is the first time I've actually discussed this coherently.

Oh, and the earlier version can't be found, because I accidentally deleted all my old comics.

Or maybe it was on purpose.

But the things were horrendous, anyway. I did you guys a favor.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I'll be with very very little internet, if any, for the next few days. So don't go into my room, and if you hear any noises coming from in there, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

Surely they don't need to eat anything, being mechanical
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-07-07 at 11:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Edit: Surely they don't need to eat anything, being mechanical
    They arn't mechanical. They build machines. Then power them by burning souls. They, themselves, are devils.

Ask the Secret Brit for more information.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-07-07 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

oh well that was embaressing

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Feed plants to Machinists, gotcha.
    Well, it wasn't big enough to be a plot hole... Missing plot atom, maybe? Maybe more of a missing plot quark. Actually, it was probably smaller than a quark.
    "Opportunity to pull on a perceived loose end".

Oh, and the earlier version can't be found, because I accidentally deleted all my old comics.
    Yeah, I find that out now, after finally tracking down the relevant posts. Bah.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-07 at 11:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

In other news....

I'm amazed one of us hasn't added us to the tvtropes webcomic long runners yet. We have over 1000 comics, possibly over 2000, so, even though ABR is still obscure, we still count.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, maybe they only count things alot of people know about.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Plus it solves why the Order of the Driving Lance or whatever they call it didn't try to resurrect Illel, or it failed.

For those of you who don't remember, Illel was one of the Order of the Driving Lance, The Order of the Scribble Analog from the backstory. See KP's exposition comics (comics 41-43 in the archive)
    Oh there's a reason.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

In other news....

I'm amazed one of us hasn't added us to the tvtropes webcomic long runners yet. We have over 1000 comics, possibly over 2000, so, even though ABR is still obscure, we still count.
    Well, ABR has been there for only about two years... Just because we have a lot of comics doesn't mean we are long runners.

Also: Who is on board your truck, Squark ? I'm making a FFF comic.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, the retcon was me noticing a plot...

Anyway, it bugged me that a) the fact that there's a 50-50 chance of surviving a retributive strike, by being tossed into some random plane, and b) unlike Kraagor's death (in which the Snarl unmade him, so no resurrection or speak with dead is possible), there was nothing stopping people from resurrecting Illel, or at least casting contact other plane or anything like that. So I came up with the idea that he had survived, but AP botched his spellcraft check so badly that when the resurrection failed, he assumed the retributive strike had mangled his soul and rendered resurrection and the like impossible. Of course, because of my erratic drifting in and out of the plot, this is the first time I've actually discussed this coheren:
    So he survived fore more than six centuries? Isn't that the oldest an elf can become? (And since Illel was at least 120 years old he would be far too old)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by megadoomer45 View Post
    Well, maybe they only count things alot of people know about.
    There Is No Such Thing As Notability

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Oh there's a reason.
    Mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Well, ABR has been there for only about two years... Just because we have a lot of comics doesn't mean we are long runners.
    Webcomic Long Runners are those with an archive of over 1000 comics, otherwise the list would be rather short.

So he survived fore more than six centuries? Isn't that the oldest an elf can become? (And since Illel was at least 120 years old he would be far too old)
    Squark has a time machine.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-07 at 11:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

Aha! I finally figured out who/what Keris's avatar is!

What does it matter you ask? Well damned if I know, it's just been bugging me is all. <.<

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Aha! I finally figured out who/what Keris's avatar is!

What does it matter you ask? Well damned if I know, it's just been bugging me is all. <.<
    ...It's in my sig. And Mem had asked me when I first put it up:
    Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Also, what's your new avatar supposed to be?
    Larry Stu. AKA Twilight. He's a dracula who doesn't play by the rules, and I felt like trying out inking/colouring on him.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

...It's in my sig. And Mem had asked me when I first put it up:
    I tend to skim through the thread lately rather then reading each page, especially if I'm off for a day and there are several pages. I can't be bothered to read through 5+ pages compromised by mostly useless posts. I personally blame Xar with his insanely high posting rate, but I may just be in a bad mood today and need something to blame.

Besides, you had your sig off in that post. Which is when I realized it. <.<
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-07-07 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides, you had your sig off in that post. Which is when I realized it. <.<
    Yeah, I remove my sig from any post I edit (the edit bar conflicts with it somewhat), and I got into the habit of turning it of by default, as I wasn't too happy with it at that point. But it does appear twice on this page alone, discounting posts after your revelation, of course.
    Might I enquire as to what who/what you figured my avatar was? And was your conclusion correct?

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

I just thought it was some random guy with a random anime haircut at first.
    Then, I found that comic in a funny images thread on another forum I lurk at. I just recognized the guy in a panel as your avy and it clicked. *shrugs*

I only saw Twilight once, and that was with a friend who insisted it would be fun. (it was, but only after it evolved into a popcorn fight)
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #891
    Firbolg in the Playground

My sister (Older, mind you. 18) brought it home and forced the family to watch it. I then spoiled the last book (I hadn't read it, just from a thread on this forum) and she said "Shut up! Don't spoil it for me, 'cause that sounds like a really good idea!"

... Ugh. I still love her, but still...
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2009-07-07 at 02:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

I just thought it was some random guy with a random anime haircut at first.
    Then, I found that comic in a funny images thread on another forum I lurk at. I just recognized the guy in a panel as your avy and it clicked. *shrugs*
    Ah, that'd do it. I've actually been thinking of swapping this one out for an even more obscure one, although it'd still be based on work by the same artist, 'cause I'm lazy.

I only saw Twilight once, and that was with a friend who insisted it would be fun. (it was, but only after it evolved into a popcorn fight)
    Believe me, popcorn fights are far less fun when you work at a cinema. Even when I wasn't on shift, I still found myself empathising with the poor fool stuck cleaning up. Although, now that I no longer work there...

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Believe me, popcorn fights are far less fun when you work at a cinema. Even when I wasn't on shift, I still found myself empathising with the poor fool stuck cleaning up. Although, now that I no longer work there...
    If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see the movie in the theater. :3

Nothing a vacuum and 2 minutes couldn't fix.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIII: Because We're Lazy.

Yeah, I remove my sig from any post I edit (the edit bar conflicts with it somewhat), and I got into the habit of turning it of by default, as I wasn't too happy with it at that point. But it does appear twice on this page alone, discounting posts after your revelation, of course.
    Might I enquire as to what who/what you figured my avatar was? And was your conclusion correct?
    My computer say that post was edited tomorrow at 13:82 AM, What the Heck?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

My computer say that post was edited tomorrow at 13:82 AM, What the Heck?
    Really? Now that is odd...
    Also, 13AM is impossible as well.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-07 at 02:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh thats nothing, My computer tells me my computer battery is almost empty at 95%

And in case it matters the battery runs up to 3 hours
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Two words: Time travel

28. - Top - End - #898

13PM would work, but one would write it as 1300. military time

I'd say your personal setting have gone screwy Keveak.

Rand, what kind of computer is it?
    Last edited by memnarch; 2009-07-07 at 02:18 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

29. - Top - End - #899

I also got that message from KR. Tomorrow at 13:Whatever.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post

Also: Who is on board your truck, Squark ? I'm making a FFF comic.
    3, technicly 4 Squarks- The driver (not shown at all), one who will do a bit of exposition and leave with the truck, and 2: The original Squark (Trench coat, white polo shirt [Actually the original was shirtless... not that anyone noticed], and a Sylvester Mccoy style hat, but gray), and Squark Squiggly... whose outfit is based on this image...

Yes. I play Runescape....

DON'T JUDGE ME!