New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 61 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

You each, across the course of your lives, have one thing in common. At some point, you saw a rapidly rolling bank of fog. In the back of your head, a small voice shouted "Run!" but evidence suggests you were too dumb to listen. The fog seems to move in from every direction, sweeping over you in a hot and humid wave. The cavern falls away as bright hot sunlight beats down on you. You find yourself stranded in the middle of an enormous desert, composed of almost entirely flat black sand dunes. There's no features, and a steady wind blows away your footprints.

Welcome to the Test of Spite Dungeon. This is a trap-and-puzzle dungeon, the first trap being the area you are currently in. You have been thrown together with four other strangers who do not stay dead when killed, nor do they provide XP.

Please introduce yourselves after a formal declaration of long-term intent in the ToS thread. I wish you the very best of luck.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-06-24 at 06:41 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

The faint smell of brimestone greets your nose as the pale, red eyed woman puts aside her spellbook and smiles at you.

"Jaya Ballard, Taskmage"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-06-26 at 04:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Pretty much all prepped and ready to go. As such, I shall start this with a first post.

"My greatest foe yet... a challenge that cannot be overcome by adding more fire. At least not at first glance..."

Cast:

1. Wind Wall to form a trench in the middle of the ground.
    2. Chain Lightening through the trench to sear the sides into obsidian.
    3. A Lightening Bolt each on the sand on both sides so as to create more obsidian in order to reinforce the trench.
    4. Dismiss Wind Wall, pull out ladder, lay it over the trench, and hang a blanket over the ladder.

"Well, it's not a tavern in Sigal, but it'll do nicely for now."
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-06-29 at 11:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Suddenly Jaya Ballard is disturbed in her relaxed waiting.

A tall (almost 7 feet), but stooped over, thin old man appears - complete with white beard, old hat and leaning on a quarterstaff. His belt and slender backpack show all kinds of pouches and odd objects.

"Hello," he says in a deep voice."You can call me Gladiator. I have come here to protect you - and others that may still come."

Gladiator
    Spoiler
    Show

12th level Dwarf Monk (Giamonk tank variant style); Lawful Good
    STR 24 (15 start, 3 stat gain, +2 size, +4 enhance), DEX 14 (+2 enhance, -2 size), CON 16 (+2 racial), INT 10, WIS 16 (+2 enhance), CHR 6
    FEATS: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple (Monk bonus feats), Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes (Monk bonus feat), Weapon Focus/Unarmed Attack, Improved Trip (Monk bonus feat), Improved Natural Attack, Blind-Fight, Stunning Fist (12/day, DC 19)
    SPECIAL: Improved Evasion, Slow Fall 60ft, Ki-Magic/Lawful, Purity of Body (immune to Disease), Wholeness of body (24 hits/day), Diamond body (immunity to poison), Abundant Step (Dimension door 1/day). Dwarf racial traits (including 60ft Darkvision).
    SKILLS: Move Silently +9 (DEX, 6 ranks, MW item), Hide 0 (DEX, -4 size, MW item), Spot +25 (WIS, 15 ranks, MW item, eyes), Listen +20 (WIS, 15 ranks, MW item), Use Magic Device +5 (CHR, 5 ranks, MW item), Spellcraft +3 (1 rank, MW item), Tumble +14 (DEX, 8 ranks, MW item, synergy), Jump +28 (STR, 5 ranks, MW item, synergy, move).
    ITEMS: Masterwork tools for all above skills (450 gp), Masterwork spiked chain, cold iron (650), beads of bless 1/day (600), Pearl of Power, level 1 (1,000), Cloak of Resistance +2 (4000), Lesser Rod of Extend (3,000), 50 Masterwork Shuriken, silvered (410), Eyes of the Eagle (2,500), Belt of Giant Strength +4 (16,000), Amulet of WIS +2 (4,000), Boots of Speed (12,000, usually worn), Slippers of Spider Climb (4,800), Hat of Disguise (1,800), Bracers of AC +1 (1,000), Ring of Protection +1 (2,000), Ring of Spell Storing (18,000; usually with obscuring mist, shield and bless weapon), Permanently enlarged at lvl 16 CL (3,460), Gloves of DEX +2 (4,000)
    WAND BUDGET: 8250.
    2x Wands of CLW, 1x Wand of lvl 2 Mage Armour, 1x wand of lvl 1 mage armour, 2x wand of shield, 2x Wand of Obscuring Mist, 1x Wand of Bless Weapon. Potions of bless weapon and magic fang.
    OTHER EQUIPMENT 20 days of trail rations, backpack, 5 flasks or 1.5 litre water each, explorer's outfit, monk's outfit, bedroll, shoevel, 5 (empty) scrollcases, 2 belt pouches, 2 50ft silk ropes, 5 torches, flint&steel, 10 tindertwigs, 12 gp.
    INITIATIVE: +6 (DEX, feat)
    MOVE: 60ft (60ft climbing)
    AC 18 (WIS, DEX, monk, bracers, deflection, size), 21 with mage armour. Possible boosts: +1 (haste), +4 (shield), +3 (fighting defensively).
    Touch AC: 17
    HITS 93 (max d8 at first level, CON). Current: 93
    SAVES: Fort +13 (+15 vs spells), Refl +12 (+14 vs spells), Will +13 (+15 spells, +17 vs enchantment)
    BAB: +9/+9/+9/+4
    TRIP: +15 (STR, feat, size) +19 vs opponent trip attemts (dwarf)
    GRAPPLE: +24 (+24/+24/+24/+19)
    UNARMED ATTACK: +16 (+16/+16/+16/+11); Damage 4d6 +7
    SPIKED CHAIN ATTACK: +12 (+12/+7), Damage 2d6+10

Charges/stuff spent so far:
    1 day of rations for food and water
    7 charges of shield spell
    15 charges for CLW spells
    2 charges of bless weapon
    2 charges of obscuring mist spell
    14 charges mage armour lvl 2 spell
    1 charge mage armour lvl 1 spell
    3 shuriken

4.5 encounters, 2 respawns

Edit/ooc: Sorry for being late !
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2010-01-16 at 03:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Well call me Spartacus, it's a giant dwarf. What beings a man like you to these parts?"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-01 at 08:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well, funnily enough, I have no clue. The only thing I know is I am here to protect you and others (instinctively knowing who to trust ...)- and even my memories are somewhat fuzzy. But I hope they will clear soon."

ooc: how did you see through the disguise self effect? Not that it matters much, the monk would have soon enough revealed himself when discussing general group tactics and what to do etc.

PS: saw your PM, will have a look at that thread when I get the time.
    PPS: edited yesterday's character info - I had miscalculated the item total costs

7. - Top - End - #7

(I didn't read your post carefully and just saw the part about him being a giant dwarf.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The mist swirls and coalesses into a young woman wearing a top hat and a pretty summer dress.

Ah, hello. looks like I've been swept up into another world, funny that. I've got this unshakeable feeling that I'm supposed to trust the two of you and introduce myself. So, I'm Tina. pleased to meet you.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Well hello, Tina. Like all of us, you appear to be a mage.
    Maybe I can already open up the broad tactical discussion ...

(takes of hat of disguise, an ugly, massive and 8ft tall dwarf appears. Instead of a staff, he carries a nasty-looking spiked chain and many shuriken, as well as several wands.)

I am here to protect you.
    For this, I myself employ spells from wands and a ring of spell storing that create a mage armour (for some hours), shield me and get my hands to also strike true vs demons and devils. Then, I sometimes create mist around me to confound my foes.
    If any of you can do these things and/or could help enhance me this way, let me know.
    I have a pearl here that would be able to recall a mage armour spell (but your s would definitely last longer). I also have a rod that can double the length of lesser spells - maybe you will need that yourself for any longer-lasting enhancements that you wish to use.

Finally, what greatly helps me in combat is, if you can somehow lower the enemy's strength.

That's it for now. What do you say?

ooc: mostylharmful, some questions/points on your character sheet:
    - you took crippling strike twice. Is that even possible? Plus, you only have one special ability as a 12th level rogue, anyway.
    - are we playing with flaws and traits? As far as I recall, Pharao's fist did not use any. But I'm fine with both versions.
    - the ring of blinking (27,000gp) plus being intelligent, may be somewhat in excess of the typical 12th level charcacter items - but if Tidesinger has approved it -no problem! Intelligent items make good added fluff in groups sometimes!
    - you'll need the point blank shot feat for the rapid shot feat.
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-04 at 01:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    ooc: mostylharmful, some questions/points on your character sheet:
    - you took crippling strike twice. Is that even possible? Plus, you only have one special ability as a 12th level rogue, anyway.
    - are we playing with flaws and traits? As far as I recall, Pharao's fist did not use any. But I'm fine with both versions.
    - the ring of blinking (27,000gp) plus being intelligent, may be somewhat in excess of the typical 12th level charcacter items - but if Tidesinger has approved it -no problem! Intelligent items make good added fluff in groups sometimes!
    - you'll need the point blank shot feat for the rapid shot feat.
    ooc: Hi,

- no, I wrote up the original at 11th level and converted, hence the feat mixup too, will now go and rejig the feat bit.
    - I think we are, the original test of spite write up has them and I wasn't notified of any change but I can go rewrite since niether you nor Pharoh's Fist have them.
    - a ring of 28k isn't in any way outside the WBL of a 12th level, it's just outside the 1/4 rule some people play with. Sufficient reducers take it right down to affordable. We're using a bit of homebrew to make it actually inconvinient rather than the RAW that lets you reduce costs for essentially no problem.

Oh, I'm not so much a mage really. Can't really say as I'm any kind of mercenary, just a lady that muddles through life to be honest. That being said, I've got this real knack with things, people, magic items, problems in general. Consider me a bit of a problem solver.

Oh, and I think I can help you with the whole 'weakening' thing. If you want to stand in frount of me if anything big and scary comes up I'll try to give you a hand if I can.

Turns to Jaya Ballard

And I have to say, I just LOVE your outfit, any chance I could get your seamstresses details?
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-04 at 02:38 PM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

11. - Top - End - #11

"... am I the only sane one around here?" Jaya wonders as the preppy thief looks over her bodysuit.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-05 at 03:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    "... am I the only sane one around here?"
    ooc: Is that in character or out of it?

Also Giacomo,
    - do you get iterative attacks with Improved Natural Attack? I assume you've ok-ed that Unarmed Strikes count for the feat, not how I'd rule but meh. If you flurry with it you might still get the extra attacks if the DM rules them to be different to your standard Itteratives (again not how i'd rule) but the Improved Natural Attack feat says you do not receive additional attacks from a high Base attack bonus if you want to treat your fists as natural weapons.

- Have you gained proficiency with the Spiked Chain? You don't have the Exotic Weapon feat so how did you get rid of the -4 you take for non-proficiency?
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-04 at 07:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

In character.

(OOC: DM is busy this week with finals. We'll probably start Friday. Meanwhile, where's the stoopid tall kid?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Having a boop week, sorry. I haven't been able to access my computer nearly as much as I'd like this week, most of the times I have been able to I've been exhausted, which combined with losing the sheet once has left me...annoyed. It's coming, sorry.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

15. - Top - End - #15

(Do we get someone to substitute for Giacomo if he doesn't show? :p That would be interesting...)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

DM Notice

I've agreed to take over from Tidesinger in DMing this particular section of the dungeon. You can address any queries to me from here on in.

Please finish up adjusting your character sheets and go into the dungeon proper so that I can begin killing you. :)
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-05 at 11:41 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

17. - Top - End - #17

"Well, anyways, you are all invited to share in the shade. Just mind the glass and you'll be fine."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

hi again,

thanks, Saph, for jumping in!

other ooc: On the two issues that mostlyharmful brought up:
    - a monk's unarmed strike can make use of INA without any problem (SRD: "A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons." The PHB II even lists INA as a feat choice for an example monk). I do not think, though, that humanoids get any natural attacks apart from the unarmed strikes.
    - the spiked chain's stats are listed without weapon proficiency in it - the monk can stomach the -4 penalty, since he uses it for tripping mainly (which only needs a touch attack).

Plus, my sheet in spoiler above is updated with mundane equipment (and corrected a wand error). So, the Gladiator is ready to go!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You may have a very nice catsuit lady but i don't think huddling with you on your glowing island of slag is really for me, sorry but I just don't swing that way.

So, I'm just going to have a look around. See you on the flipside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to have a look around, not going far but try to see if anything's happening within 100' or so.

spot (d20+17)[28]
    listen (d20+17)[29]
    move silently (d20+20)[25]
    hide (d20+30)[36]

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

Tina, you see desert, desert, and more desert. It's completely flat and featureless. On the plus side, you move very quietly, and you'd be hiding very well too if it wasn't for the fact that you're in a giant featureless desert and thus stand out like, well, a girl in a summer dress in the middle of a desert.

DM Note: You might as well just start. STK can catch up when he finishes.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-06 at 10:36 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

21. - Top - End - #21

Jaya will try to use her shovel to dig in further under the desert.

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

Jaya, you start digging. You make steady but slow progress (low Strength and all that). Oh, and you're going to get some blisters.

23. - Top - End - #23

Dig: (1d20-1)[0]

You know what? I'm going to take 20.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-06 at 11:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Jaya continues digging while Tina potters around in the sand. Gladiator the giant dwarf, presumably, stands around watching.

Tina, you continue exploring and discover that if you go far enough, you can see some figures in the distance. They look familiar. If you go forward and explore, you find yourself returning to Jaya and Gladiator's campsite. If you turn back, you find yourself returning to Jaya and Gladiator's campsite.

Jaya, after about two hours of digging, you've dug yourself a hole taller than you are. You're also hot, tired, and your back hurts.

At this point, the sand underneath your feet suddenly shifts. You hop back in time and see the area in which you were digging start to settle and crumble. After a few seconds you can make out a small hole into which grains of sand are still falling. The ground seems to have been sufficiently weakened that one hard jump would break through the crust. Peering over the edge to look down, you can see nothing but darkness.

25. - Top - End - #25

I want to cast Magic Missile at the darkness.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

The darkness takes (5d4+5)[12] points of damage. It doesn't appear to notice. You recover the spell slot. You can do it again, if you want.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Ok, Spartacus, what we have here is a hole in the ground. Doubtless it leads to somewhere. Since the prep isn't here yet, I'm going to signal to her to come back."

Jaya turns towards the distant spot in the distance and yells at Tina. "Over here, we found something!"

She will then tie a rope around the stationary Gladiator, tie her jacket to the other end, cast light on the jacket, and throw the other end down into the darkness.

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

The jacket descends. What are your vision abilities?

29. - Top - End - #29

Darkvision 60 feet.

Edit: I don't have Light prepared.... so just the jacket.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-07 at 12:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Planetar

(You're an Evoker. What else is there to spend your bonus 0-level slot on?)

With your darkvision you can see that the darkness is in fact a vertical shaft, 15 feet in diameter. It goes down at least 60 feet, which is as far as your darkvision can see, and presumably further.

Nothing happens to the jacket as you lower it.