New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    I'd argue that we don't know HOW we're returning, just the info it says on the alignment of the caster and THAT we can come back. Plus it's a bit dubious to know about the whole autorespawn thing in character.
    ooc: true. It's a bit dependent on what you guess the soul knows about the respawn, and what a soul knows about the spell that tries to get it back. In this case even more complicated - a dwarf casts it! How will the dwarf druid tell his cousin-turned-goblin that he never realised that would happen? In particular since he could have just waited a couple of days instead without any problem?
    But I can easily wing it due to the (broad) background I thought up for the character. He's lawful good, and it can easily be interpreted that this mission (to protect the group) overrides all.
    Technically, though, it's going to be e bit complicated to play a small goblin ex-dwarf monk in a tank role.
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-15 at 03:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272

In particular since he could have just waited a couple of days instead without any problem?
    How would the caster have known that?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    That'll depend on how in character Saph's info dump was.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

It depends. In the same way that everyone knew how to trust each other instinctively, everyone could know about the respawning ability that Tidesinger mentioned.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    It depends. In the same way that everyone knew how to trust each other instinctively, everyone could know about the respawning ability that Tidesinger mentioned.
    What he said.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

I do know that you all will be brought back at a certain time, so I'm not wasting the 2k(yet). At some point in the future, I'll ask all of you)In-character) about your wishes upon 'true' death(I want to be left for the scavengers). As for how come we all trust each other, I do because the other side of this combat was green, and as we all know, green skin=evil. Plus, you know, you guys haven't tried to kill me.

Also, again, how many exits are there from this room and where are they located?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

The exit info was listed earlier in the combat. Twice, actually.

There's an exit at the north centre, leading into a sort of tunnel. It's currently blocked by the monk's giant corpse.

At this point, Tina and Gladiator's bodies vanish, leaving behind only a pair of skulls. Each skull has a note next to it, explaining the resurrection process. Short version: 1 to 4 days, last cleared area.

Yup, there are bows, too. They're Large-sized, and come with a very big stack of Large-sized arrows in various materials.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

8. - Top - End - #278

"I'm sure Spartacus would appreciate these bows when he gets back in... four days, I see. In the meantime, I suppose we shall have to bunk down and make do. I'd hate to leave another soul here, after he risked his life for me. I don't suppose we can make use of the forces of nature (such as Walls of Stone) and fortify this position until then?" Jaya asks Dok respectfully.

9. - Top - End - #279

Planetar

By the way: tell me at what point you guys decide to rest and wait for spells. I'll handle respawns then.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

10. - Top - End - #280

Well, after the RITUAL DESECRATION AND DISMEMBERMENT OF THE ENEMY CORPSES WITH FIRE! FIRE! I think Jaya will rest on the old ramparts.

"I dance on their corpses. This is a sacred dance of my peoples to grant good luck to the victors of battle. I take no joy in this whatsoever. It is purely professional."

Oh, and I put all the weapons into my Haversack.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-15 at 11:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

Perform: Dance (1d20-1)[1]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah may have something that'll work. Ah assume ye don't want to leave until they come back? Ah don't like not having an escape route, but I don' wan' to chance something slippin past our guards

If Jaya doesn't object, I cast Stone Shape to block the exit tunnel completely. I also have my pet Track any scent trails that lead anywhere other than to the big door.

Also, Survival - (1d20+13)[27] to gather food from the plants and such in here so that I don't need to break into my trail rations, and cast Create Water so we on't have to risk possibly-tainted wells.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Perform: Dance [roll0]
    What are ye supposed to be, some kind o' bard or something?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

14. - Top - End - #284

"I just happen to be cautious."
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-15 at 11:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Planetar

Stone Shape puts a thin sheet of stone across the doorway, maybe 2-3 inches thick.

Dog finds several hundred scent trails crossing and crisscrossing the courtyard. Following all of them will take several hours. Assuming he does so, he doesn't find anything particularly interesting.

With your Survival skill you find some crabapples, some bark, and some milk grass. It's enough to sustain you, as long as you're not too picky about the taste. Dog, however, wants some meat. He seems willing to try eating the archers if you'll let him.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Stone Shape puts a thin sheet of stone across the doorway, maybe 2-3 inches thick.

Dog finds several hundred scent trails crossing and crisscrossing the courtyard. Following all of them will take several hours. Assuming he does so, he doesn't find anything particularly interesting.

With your Survival skill you find some crabapples, some bark, and some milk grass. It's enough to sustain you, as long as you're not too picky about the taste. Dog, however, wants some meat. He seems willing to try eating the archers if you'll let him.
    I do have Dog follow the trails, what else is there to do?

As for the archers, well, Jaya, are those damned archers dangerous to et or not? Dog deserves a good meal...and a bit o' fun, too.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

17. - Top - End - #287

"The archers? Doubt it. Barely fit for carrion vines. Now, their rations area bit safer, but I'll make no guarantees... how about summoning a badger or something to test them out?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems cruel to the poor animals, but if Dog doesn't get meat he'll get sick.

I burn Endure Elements and Shilleleigh for an Owl and an Eagle. The eagle I toss scraps of one of the archers to, and the Owl I toss some of their rations to. Do they sicken within the next 2 minutes?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

19. - Top - End - #289

Planetar

They peck at it a bit, but don't seem particularly keen. Presumably there's better stuff where they come from.

You get the impression that Dog isn't very discriminating in his tastes. Or maybe he's just hungry.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

I give dog some of my trail rations(which are mostly dried meats). I won't take the chance that the birds were avoiding the scraps based on poison rather than flavor.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

21. - Top - End - #291

Planetar

OK.

So, you're in a sealed courtyard, with some trees, two dead green demons, one dead ooze, a collection of frozen flowers, two skulls, and a collection of gemstones and art objects. You have a little less than two days to kill. Anything you want to do?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Stupid core-only. This is why I always buy marbles.

Wait, I have rope. And 2 Demons. Craft:Marionette - (1d20+2)[21] Perform:Puppet Show - (1d20-2)[4]

Unless Jaya has something else to do, we set watches and camp for 2 days.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

23. - Top - End - #293

Planetar

Milil, God of Bards, comes down and smites both you and Jaya. Seriously, that's the worst set of Perform checks I've ever seen.

Anyway, a couple of days pass uneventfully. Tell me anything you're doing; after that, we'll assume time's skipped ahead.

Gladiator
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a long stretch of time on a featureless flat plain, you reappear in the desert. Everything looks exactly as it did before, except the black sand has started to fill in the hole. You've got all your equipment and are at full HP. You have the feeling that you should wait around for a day or so.

A day later, Tina appears.

Tina
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a long stretch of time on a featureless flat plain, you reappear in the desert. Everything looks exactly as it did before, except the black sand has started to fill in the hole. Jaya's campsite is still there. You've got all your equipment and are at full HP.

Gladiator's hanging around, waiting.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

I train with Dog and Jaya, we need to get our working together, you know, working.

I also change up spells prepared. Other than that, not much to do.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"...unnnh. Memo to brain: never hope to AoO ugly green archers again..."
    (Looks around desert)
    "Hmm. I guess I should wait for a day. This is definitely the strangest thing that happened to me. But I'll at least get in the shade."
    Gladiator climbs down the shaft to the portal again with his slippers of spider climb. Once down there, he meditates, occasionally drinks a bit of his water and eats from his rations. He also refills the ring of spell storing with an obscuring mist spell from the wand (I can roll for UMD, but given he has two wands of it, it is only a 1:160000 chance that he fails to activate the wand(s) eventually until Tina arrives on day 2).

Once Tina arrives, he'll suggest being extra cautious this time - and buff ahead of going through again with a mage armour spell, followed up by a shield spell from the wand to preserve the ring of spell storing charges. This could take some time, but I hope Tina is more cautious than on the first run ...
    UMD for mage armour - (1d20+5)[11]
    UMD for mage armour - (1d20+5)[22]
    UMD for mage armour - (1d20+5)[12]
    UMD for mage armour - (1d20+5)[21]
    UMD for mage armour - (1d20+5)[11]

UMD for shield - (1d20+5)[19]
    UMD for shield - (1d20+5)[22]
    UMD for shield - (1d20+5)[7]
    UMD for shield - (1d20+5)[15]
    UMD for shield - (1d20+5)[22]

Edit: ah, the buffing only took 4 rounds. Great! Tina should also buff in that time in case she likes to - who knows what awaits us this time beyond the portal?
    Edit 2: Since Gladiator saw Tina use magic before, he asks her, if she wishes to use (one of his) wands of shield to also buff with that. While the mage armour will be useless to her given her chain mail, the shield may come in handy... (she could even borrow the wand for use in upcoming combat in case she can handle it well).
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-16 at 01:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Planetar

You refill your ring. Wands activate.

There isn't really any way to hang out at the bottom of the shaft, as your spider climb will wear off and you'll fall through the portal, so you'll have to go back up again to wait.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

ooc: Ah, I see. So, up in the sun then. Gladiator will dig some shelter vs the sun (he also has a shovel)

Once Tina is there, they'll either climb down or jump down through the portal (whatever is more feasible). Gladiator will have his boots of speed on then.
    Will post again after work in 10 hours or so.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    OK.

So, you're in a sealed courtyard, with some trees, two dead green demons, one dead ooze, a collection of frozen flowers, two skulls, and a collection of gemstones and art objects. You have a little less than two days to kill. Anything you want to do?
    Jaya buries them, reset her contingency, and tries to figure out where we are. You may roll knowledge for her.

OOC: Giacomo, if it takes you 4 tries on average to activate a wand that only lasts 2 hours, what happens when you roll a 1 and the wand doesn't respond to you for 24 hours?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-16 at 07:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Planetar

You're in Ravenloft. Or at least, a series of demiplanes within its sphere.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Back online ... and waiting for Tina. Btw, the hat of disguise with old tall wizard appearance is up again.

OOC: Giacomo, if it takes you 4 tries on average to activate a wand that only lasts 2 hours, what happens when you roll a 1 and the wand doesn't respond to you for 24 hours?
    ooc: That's what the second wand of mage armour is for. So, basically, there is only a 1:400 risk that Gladiator cannot activate a mage armour in a day (if he buffs several times/day, the risk rises, of course, but remains negligible). Plus, usually he uses the mage armour cast by a fellow arcane caster, together with his rod of extend (which he lends to the caster in return for his low-level buffs).
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-16 at 11:42 AM.