New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

Between the tracks leading to the hole and the fact that there is no way to survive in an endless desert, it's clear that the only way to go is down. So I'll drop GMF on Dog, 3 times due to 2 Pearls of Power, and drop down the hole.
    With the power of Block, become as Obsidian, and let us go into the deep.
    Rolls to redue falling damage:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jump:(1d20+4)[14]
    Tumble:(1d20+9)[28]

Dog's Jump:(1d20+13)[16]
    Dog's Tumble:(1d20+7)[26]
    OoC:just updated char sheet to conform to the rules a bit better(forgot that +5 items are technically custom).
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-09 at 12:35 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

OK. You're going to be a little delayed by the rounds spent casting GMFs and using Pearls of Power. I'll tell you when you enter.

Also, tell me what spells/abilities you have up.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

The GMF on Dog's claws and bite. And actually, I'll toss a Barkskin on him as well. The rest of my stuff is too short-lived for me to use unless I know combat is coming soon.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-09 at 12:37 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

ooc: thanks Saph - overlooked that casting shield in the middle of the swarm would have been quite painful
    Otherwise, on the AoO:
    - quite powerful ability of those archers that they do not trigger AoO when using their bows! (the archer at the wall would also have triggered an AoO since it was in the threat range of the spiked chain)
    - on the cover: I'm a bit confused - I thought the cover (if there at all) provided +2 AC only (and thus was not cover for the purpose of denying AoO, which is only there when the cover is +4 to AC)? Then, the tripped ugly green archer rolled on the ground to get to that cover area (a move action or a 5ft "step"?) and then stood up. It gets two attacks as a standard action?
    OK, I guess so - it's time to vamoosss, aussi ...

ROUND 6 Gladiator actions (initiative 18, just after the ice storm)
    In dwarven: "Darn! I cannnot hold them - will move to the exit in the north - and through if possible."
    Then, with the move action, the Gladiator auto-tumbles to avoid AoO (or is there cover?) to H1I1H2I2 first.
    - If that exit is no illusion, he will use the remainder of his movement to get through the exit - to block the exit (and only letting through friends), at H0I0H-1I-1, so to speak.
    - If that exit is an illusion and/or he is otherwise stopped from moving on, he'll end his move in H1I1H2I2.
    In both cases, he'll cast an obscuring mist spell from the ring of spell storing, centered on the middle between H1I1.

AC is at 21, 23 with cover. Hp at 33. Hope that trick works!

PS: will again only be able to post in 10 hrs or so - from my mobile. Good luck everyone until then!
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-09 at 01:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Planetar

The trees give a small degree of cover to creatures using them. There are too many for me to put on the map, so I'm just assuming that the Medium-sized and smaller combatants have been using them to their advantage whenever possible. Jaya and Tina have been benefiting from this, but your character is too big to hide behind a tree.

Tumble takes a penalty for each time past once you use it in a turn, so you're going to have to make some Tumble checks to avoid AoO's during your move. Your modifier is +14, so you only auto-succeed on the first one.

Tina takes her turn and heals. I'll do the OpFor go in a little while.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Ooc: sorry, I must have misunderstood the aoo-blocking effect of cover (since the gladiator did it without problem before).
    Would have loved a spot check to realize where aoo are possible for him and where not - this way, I managed to waste a round AND get myself almost killed at the same time ... ;)

I think only one additional aoo is necessary: against the small ugly thing near Jaya.
    2nd tumble - (1d20+12)[15]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

phew! Just also realized the aoo from the 2nd archer:

archer aoo - (1d20+10)[28]

8. - Top - End - #128

Planetar

Unless you have some way of avoiding square G2, I think you'll need a third tumble check against the northern ugly green thing.

Edit: Nevermind, you've already done it. All succeed.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-09 at 02:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Planetar

New map prior to enemy turn, Round 6.

{table=head]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P
    1|||||M|G|M|G|G|M|M|||||
    2||||||M|M|M|M|M|J|||||
    3|||G||||M|M|B|M|||S|||
    4||||||||M|M|C|||||
    5|||||||||C|C||||||
    6||||T|||C|C|C|C|B|||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C|B|||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||
    16||||||||||||||||[/table]

10. - Top - End - #130

Planetar

Northern ugly green thing 5-foot steps up to Gladiator and unloads a full attack of arrows into his face. Uses Rapid Shot this time. No cover, but you benefit from concealment. Vs AC 21.

Attack 1: (1d20+13)[22]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[13]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[10]
    Attack 2: (1d20+13)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[18]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[32]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[30]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[12]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[67]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[14]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[18]
    Attack 5: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[9]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[94]

Second UGT's turn will depend on the outcome of the first's.

11. - Top - End - #131

Planetar

Gladiator is still up, just. You can thank your Obscuring Mist for that one. :)

Second UGT, now out of everybody's line of sight, also full attacks, firing at Gladiator's square. Gladiator benefits from the tree cover and has total concealment.

Hmm, wonder if that makes the second UGT an 'invisible attacker' . . . nah, we'll say it doesn't for now. Full attack is vs AC 23.

Attack 1: (1d20+13)[18]
    Miss chance (1-50 misses): (1d100)[62]
    Attack 2: (1d20+13)[33]
    Miss chance (1-50 misses): (1d100)[65]
    Attack 3: (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    Miss chance (1-50 misses): (1d100)[29]
    Attack 4: (1d20+8)[26]
    Miss chance (1-50 misses): (1d100)[95]
    Attack 5: (1d20+8)[21]
    Miss chance (1-50 misses): (1d100)[17]

Other rolls: (1d20)[7] (1d20)[13] (1d20+2)[4] (1d20+2)[20]

12. - Top - End - #132

Planetar

Critical threat on the second shot.

Confirmation roll: (1d20+13)[31]
    Extra damage if hit: (4d6+14)[24]

Edit: Well, looks like Gladiator's luck's run out. He takes 12 + 9 + 37 + 18 damage. If it's any consolation, I'll do my best to make sure he have some company in the afterlife waiting room shortly.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-09 at 05:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Planetar

Jaya, you hear a 'sqlrtch' sound from Gladiator's last known position, remarkably similar to the sound of an arrow going through an eye, followed by a very heavy thump. One of the ugly blubbery things appears out of the mist and flails away at you and your images, followed by a second.

Attacks: (1 on the targeting is Jaya, 1-20 on the concealment is a miss).
    Claw: (1d20+4)[10] targeting (1d8)[3] concealment (1d100)[94]
    Claw: (1d20+4)[11] targeting (1d8)[6] concealment (1d100)[31]
    Claw: (1d20+4)[19] targeting (1d8)[1] concealment (1d100)[88]
    Bite: (1d20+2)[6] targeting (1d8)[2] concealment (1d100)[6]

A third ugly blubbery thing lumbers up and makes some flailing gestures. Suddenly the mist thickens and begins to give off a horrible stench. You recognise the effect as a stinking cloud. Fort save, DC 13, or be nauseated. The ugly blubbery thing next to you doesn't seem to like the stench much either, but it keeps attacking.

1|||||M|M|G|G|G|M|M|||||
    2||||||M|M|M|M|B|J|||||
    3||||G|||M|M|M|M|B||S|||
    4||||||||M|M|C|||||
    5|||||||||C|C|B|||||
    6||||T|||C|C|C|C||||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Silver M squares are mist. They obscure sight, and are currently overlaid with a stinking cloud effect. Make a DC 13 Fort save if you enter, or you're nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-09 at 05:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Planetar

Jaya - you take (1d6+1)[2] damage. You're currently in a stinking cloud, backed up against a wall of force, unable to see or hear any allies, with several demons trying to eat your face. While possibly not the absolute worst situation you have ever been in, it probably makes the Top 10.

Tina - even without the tree cover, there's now so much crowding the battlefield that you'd be able to see almost nothing of what was going on. You heard Gladiator shouting, followed by a painful sounding thump. As far as you know, you're on your own.

Gladiator - unless you have some way of preventing 70-plus points of arrow damage, you're dead.

Dok - you've just finished casting your second greater magic fang spell. Everything's nice and peaceful.

Player's turn.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-09 at 06:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Fort: (1d20+9)[12]

16. - Top - End - #136

Shazam.

Resilient Sphere centered on myself pops into existence as per my contingency.

17. - Top - End - #137

Planetar

I was wondering when you were going to do that.

Resilient Sphere pops into existence. You're nauseated for (1d4+1)[4] rounds.

Oh, and just to give you something to look forward to, you've still got poison in your system, so you're going to be making some secondary saves in a while.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-09 at 09:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

To clear things up:
    Dead characters respawn in 1d4 days in the last cleared room.
    Which right now would be the desert. Right now, I'm leaning towards allowing six respawns.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-07-09 at 11:10 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Respawn sounds nice! :)
    Now let me see how the others do without the tank ... (fetches popcorn, gets a chair)!!

Some first thoughts on Gladiator's early demise:
    Spoiler
    Show

- Overall I guess round 5 killed the monk- that NO AoO were possible were quite a nasty surprise.
    - In retrospect, also wading into combat without buffing more first was also not good for this build.
    - And finally in round 6 I was too stupid to move further away through the exit, allowing both archers full attack (at rapid shot even!). I DID move completely out of the yard, Saph btw, but was still targetable...
    Will do better after the respawn ...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming we all don't die in this room, I can prep Reincarnate tomorrow. I've got enough material components to cover for 2 deaths.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

21. - Top - End - #141

Planetar

Just so you know OOC, this is how it's going to go down:

Round 1: Jaya jumps in.
    Round 2: Tina and Gladiator jump in.
    Round 3: Dok arrives and casts GMF (this is the earliest you can feasibly appear)
    Round 4: Dok uses Pearl of Power
    Round 5: Dok casts GMF
    Round 6: Dok uses Pearl of Power
    Round 7: Dok casts GMF
    Round 8: Dok casts Barkskin and jumps in.

You'll arrive in the battle at the top of round 9. Once you do you'll make an initiative check. If you beat the OpFor, you'll go before they do, otherwise they'll go first.

It's currently round 6-7. Waiting for Tina's action.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I move up to the battlements and Hide. (courageous I know)

Hide (d20+30)[46]
    Move Silently(d20+25)[45]
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

23. - Top - End - #143

Planetar

Enemy actions for Round 7:

The two ugly blubbery things continue slashing at Jaya, their attacks bouncing off the resilient sphere. One of the ugly green things emerges from the mist and fires a pair of arrows at her. They bounce off.

Tina is hidden off-map on top of the battlements in row 6. The sounds of combat from below have died out suddenly.

Other enemies are out of sight, so that's it.

1|||||M|M|M|G|G|M|M|||||
    2||||||M|M|M|M|M|J|||||
    3||||G|||M|M|M|M|B||S|||
    4||||||||M|M|C|B||||
    5|||||||||C|C|B|||||
    6|||||||C|C|C|C|G|||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Jaya is nauseated and I don't think her move action will amount to much inside the sphere, Dok is still buffing, Gladiator is still dead, so I guess it's Tina's turn again.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What's up here? Is there anything I can use as a distraction/set off/on fire/etc?

Spot (d20+17)[31]
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

25. - Top - End - #145

Planetar

The battlements are stone. There are a few old wooden barrels scattered around on the ramparts. They look as if they might have held stones or arrows once, but they're currently empty.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    The battlements are stone. There are a few old wooden barrels scattered around on the ramparts. .
    ! A cardboard box?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-10 at 12:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    The battlements are stone. There are a few old wooden barrels scattered around on the ramparts. They look as if they might have held stones or arrows once, but they're currently empty.
    grab a barrel, put on crenallation probably above row three since thats the last place I saw the ugly. dump 9 pints of oil, five alchemists fire, 3 thunderstones, 5 caltrops and three smokesticks into it. pour one pint of oil all over it and light it with a tindertwig. Boot the lot off the wall.

scuttle off behind some other barrels or boxes

Hide (d20+25)[37]
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-10 at 02:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Planetar

Round 8:

Tina - You push the whole thing off the edge. There's a moment of silence, followed by an enormous bang, the crackle of flames, and a yelp.

Peeking over the edge, you can catch glimpses of one of the ugly green things moving through the tree cover, its head scanning from side to side. It's holding its bows drawn and ready to shoot. It's also on fire, although this seems to have pissed it off rather than seriously hurt it. It doesn't seem to have seen you yet, since you're pretty sure that if it had it would have shot at you already.

Jaya - You're on the curved base of your sphere, trying to avoid throwing up. Through the walls you can see that the small blubbery things are still scratching fruitlessly at the force sphere. More ominously, though, you can see that the ugly green thing behind has settled down and seems to be waiting for you to come out. As you watch it starts miming a series of explicit gestures. You get the impression it's trying to indicate what it's going to do if it gets you.

Stinking cloud disperses.

Saving throws: (1d20+10)[16] (1d20+10)[13]
    Climb checks: (1d20+2)[10] (1d20+2)[5]

1|||||M|M|M|G|G|M|M|||||
    2||||||M|M|M|M|B|J|||||
    3||F|F||||M|M|M|B|B||S|||
    4||F|F|||||M|M|C|||||
    5|||||||||C|C||||||
    6|||||G||C|C|C|C|G|||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    8|||||||C|D|L|C|B|||||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

I think a recap key would be a good idea at this point.

J is Jaya, currently encased in an invisible sphere of force.
    T is Tina, currently off-map up on the battlements to the west, 30 feet up.
    G is Gladiator's body, currently obscured by the mist.
    G are ugly green four-armed humanoid things. They each carry two big longbows.
    B are small sickly grey blubbery things with claws and fangs.
    S is a sparkly ooze which seems to be on fire.
    C are squares of illusionary cloudkill, smelling of mustard gas and making screaming sounds.
    M are squares of obscuring mist.
    F are squares of flame and smoke.
    There's an invisible wall of force from L1 to L10 to A1.

Tina and Jaya's turn.

Dok, assuming you jump in on schedule, you and your leopard will appear after Tina's turn in the D and L squares. Make an initiative roll. If you get over 14, you act with the other players in this turn. If you get under 14, you'll act next turn, after the enemies. Either way, you'll appear in the illusionary cloudkill, so the first thing you'll have to do is make a DC 22 Will save for you and your leopard. If you fail, you don't take any damage, but you won't be aware that it's an illusion.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-11 at 12:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Jaya - You're on the curved base of your sphere, trying to avoid throwing up. Through the walls you can see that the small blubbery things are still scratching fruitlessly at the force sphere. More ominously, though, you can see that the ugly green thing behind has settled down and seems to be waiting for you to come out. As you watch it starts miming a series of explicit gestures. You get the impression it's trying to indicate what it's going to do if it gets you.
    Fair enough. Jaya will make a few gestures of her own right back at him.

Just let me know when I can act, and how many mirror images I have.

30. - Top - End - #150

Planetar

Nausea has 2 rounds left, meaning you're nauseated for this turn and next turn. After that you can act normally.

You've still got all seven images. They're crowded into the sphere with you.