New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

Don't get overconfident, guys. You haven't won yet . . .

Dog can't see a target to charge, so he moves up instead. He still kills the blubbery thing, though he's still in the edge of the stinking cloud.

I'm assuming Jaya's 'straight down' move means to squeeze between the two enemies and go to K8. Provokes a whole bunch of AoO's, though the archer is now greatly weakened from the spells.

Archer AoO: (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[9]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[78]
    Image targeting (1 is Jaya): (1d7)[3]
    Blubbery thing AoO: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[22]
    Image targeting (1 is Jaya): (1d7)[7]

Edit: Two images pop, but Jaya's unhurt.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-13 at 10:37 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

2. - Top - End - #212

Planetar

Round 13.

Northern stinking cloud disperses. Mist is mist again.

The left ugly green thing 5-foot steps and tries to shoot the giant leopard. Dog benefits from +2 AC due to tree cover and from concealment due to the stinking cloud.

Attack 1: (1d20+15)[17]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[28]
    Attack 2: (1d20+15)[24]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[16]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[64]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[15]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[17]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[14]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[59]

Second UGT 5-foot steps into the mist after Dok and tries to pincushion him while he's busy chanting. Same deal, +2 AC, concealment, yadda yadda.

Attack 1: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[42]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[28]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[29]
    Attack 3: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[24]
    Attack 4: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[68]

Surviving ugly blubbery things go for Jaya. Their claws are weak but can still wear you and your images down.

Claw: (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Claw: (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    Claw: (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]
    Bite: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]

Image targeting rolls, use as needed (1 is Jaya): (1d5)[5] (1d5)[5] (1d5)[4] (1d5)[5] (1d5)[1] (1d5)[2] (1d5)[5] (1d5)[1] (1d5)[5] (1d5)[2]

Edit: Two more images go pop. Two left.

New map:

{table=head]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P
    1|||G||M|M|T|G|G|M|M|||||
    2||||||M|M|M|D|M|M|||||
    3||F|F||||M|M|M|G|||S|||
    4||F|F|||||M|M||||||
    5|||||L|L|||C|C||||||
    6|||||L|L|C|C|C|C||||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C|B|||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|J|||||
    9|||||||||C|C|B|||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11||||||||||||||||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||
    16||||||||||||||||[/table]

One last Fort save from Dog. Succeeds on anything but a nat. 1. Dok, if any of those hit, you'll have to make a Concentration check of 10 + damage + spell level per hit to maintain the summon.

Aaaand some bad news for the girls. This is 10 rounds after you were first introduced to the killer flowers' poison attack. Which means, you guessed it, secondary saves!

Fort DC 17 for Jaya and Tina. Failure means paralysis. Jaya in particular really doesn't want to fail this one.

Assuming you survive all that, your turn.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-13 at 10:55 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #213

Fort: (1d20+9)[13]

*sigh* Dammit Saph...
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-13 at 11:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214

Planetar

Well, on the plus side, I think Dok's just found a use for that Freedom of Movement after all.

By the way, is this a bad time to mention that 1 round/level spells are going to be expiring right about now?
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-13 at 11:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Fort - (1d20+13)[19]
    Conc - (1d20+18)[27] DC 22

Summon finishes, Large Air Elemental appears at E1/F2.
    Elemental turns into a Whirlwind, moves over the UGT next to me(avoiding me, but hitting Tina). It abuses that 100' fly speed to force DC 18 saves v 2d6 damage and DC 18 saves v being picked up until it either runs out of move or grabs the UGT, and then moves through as much of the Stinking Cloud as it can(Does the large-sized whirlwind count as 'Strong Wind'?).

If you ban the ability to force 10 DC 18 saves per move action(only 7 this round, though), the elemental moves over the UGT, moves to the first sack o' blubber, then moves back to J4/K5.

Dok moves to Jaya and casts Freedom of Movement.
    Tumble at full speed - (1d20+9)[18]
    Concentration - (1d20+19)[39]

Dog charges UGH at C1.
    Spoiler
    Show
    claw attack - (1d20+18)[24]
    Claw Attack - (1d20+18)[20]
    Bite Attack - (1d20+20)[25]
    Claw Damage - (1d4+7)[10]
    Claw Damage - (1d4+7)[10]
    Bite Damage - (1d8+12)[19]
    If Bite hits:
    Grapple - (1d20+19)[24]
    Rake Attack - (1d20+17)[33]
    Rake Damage - (1d4+4)[7]
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #216

Planetar

How are you travelling 25' in one round?

Edit: Also, the DC was 27 for the Concentration check, not 22. (I went to the effort to write it out for you, too.) Luckily for you, you just made it.

Edit to edit: Also also, you need the DC 13 Fort save for Dog. It was on their turn.

Edit to edit to edit: No, you can't force 10 saves per elemental. It does disperse the mist and the stinking cloud, though.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 12:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Planetar

Reflex Saves: (1d20+11)[20], (1d20+11)[24], (1d20+3)[19]

Grapple Check: (1d20+15)[17]

8. - Top - End - #218

Planetar

The air elemental fails to pick up or damage the UGT or the blubbery thing. Dog successfully hits and grapples the other UGT and smacks it about a bit further.

AoO against Dok from the UGT:

Attack: (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[14]

Edit: Misses.

Oh yeah, just noticed that you already did Dog's fort save. He passes.

And Tina now needs two reflex saves in addition to the fort save.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 02:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    How are you travelling 25' in one round?
    Facepalm. Stupid dwarfiness. I move as close as possible to Jaya and blast one of the blubbery things with Call Lightning. SR - (1d20+12)[18]
    damage - (3d6)[12]
    Edit to edit: Also also, you need the DC 13 Fort save for Dog. It was on their turn.
    You only mentioned the one for Dog, so I figured I'd missed something and you didn't need one for Dok. Dok's Fort - (1d20+20)[21]
    Edit to edit to edit: No, you can't force 10 saves per elemental. It does disperse the mist and the stinking cloud, though.
    Didn't think so. One set of saves for the UGT and the first blubbbery thing, then, and if the UGT succeeds, it blocks his path and aim.

Sorry Tina.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-14 at 12:22 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #220

Planetar

Lightning hits the blubbery thing dead on but does no damage.

Check for next turn: (1d20+21)[41]

Well, Jaya's still paralysed, so just Tina left to go. Tina, the obscuring mist's gone, by the way.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Give him a minute. Some people sleep at 5 in the morning, the fools.

Edit:For future reference, the Air Elemental forces 2 saves. First they save v. the 2d6, then they save v. being picked up.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-14 at 12:39 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

12. - Top - End - #222

Planetar

Ah, that's right. One more save, then: (1d20+3)[7]

Edit: One of the small blubbery things is picked up.

Mostlyharmful's on Europe time, like Gia, so we'll be waiting a few hours from him whatever. It's early afternoon for me, though. :P

Oh, one other thing for future rounds: how are you commanding the air elemental? Do you speak Auran? It'll attack automatically regardless, but to do specific stuff such as the air-freshener maneuver you just pulled off, you'll need some way to talk to it.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 12:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that's right. One more save, then: [roll0]

Edit: One of the small blubbery things is picked up.

Mostlyharmful's on Europe time, like Gia, so we'll be waiting a few hours from him whatever. It's early afternoon for me, though. :P
    1 AM here, but like 6 in the morning for the brit. And I probably won't be back on until 11 AM or so my time.

And no, no auran, forgot. My last 2 summoners were a Malconvoker that had every language, and a Druid with a DM that didn't care. How much control do I have?
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-14 at 12:58 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

14. - Top - End - #224

Planetar

For future rounds, we'll say that you can automatically point out allies and friends, but you can't communicate anything more complicated than that. So instructions will be along the lines of "Kill/don't kill."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

For future rounds, we'll say that you can automatically point out allies and friends, but you can't communicate anything more complicated than that. So instructions will be along the lines of "Kill/don't kill."
    GET TH' ARCHER! GET HIM! KILL HIM NAOW!

That's the command until further notice. Dang AoO-ing archer thing. My pets will make a meal out of them.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

16. - Top - End - #226

Planetar

Yeah, I think you guys are probably going to win this from here. The key roll was that Concentration check. If you'd failed that and fizzled the summon you would have been in trouble, but as things are you outnumber the bad guys enough that you should be able to win.

However, there's still a chance that the archers might kill one or two of you before you can finish them off, so don't relax yet.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I think you guys are probably going to win this from here. The key roll was that Concentration check. If you'd failed that and fizzled the summon you would have been in trouble, but as things are you outnumber the bad guys enough that you should be able to win.

However, there's still a chance that the archers might kill one or two of you before you can finish them off, so don't relax yet.
    Out of idle curiosity, what is it that's allowing these guys to make AoOs with bows? That doesn't even make sense with the way the full-attack system is supposed to work.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

18. - Top - End - #228

Planetar

You know the Arrow Mind spell from the Spell Compendium? These guys have an ability that basically duplicates that. They also have Symmetrical Archery, meaning they get twice as many shots a round as a normal archer. So they can walk right up to you and double-attack you in the face, and not only do they not provoke AoOs, they get AoOs against you into the bargain if you try to get away.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

You know the Arrow Mind spell from the Spell Compendium? These guys have an ability that basically duplicates that. They also have Symmetrical Archery, meaning they get twice as many shots a round as a normal archer. So they can walk right up to you and double-attack you in the face, and not only do they not provoke AoOs, they get AoOs against you into the bargain if you try to get away.
    I don't like that spell, either. Some things even magic can't justify. I'm not even calling it broken, it's just bad. A full-attack in melee represents an exchange of blows, of which 1-4 actually have a chance of hitting. An AoO is an attack that only has a chance of hitting because the opponent got distracted. A full-attack with a bow represents firing 1-4 arrows. An AoO with a bow represents firing an extra arrow because...the opponent...isn't paying attention to you? Not broken, just thematically it doesn't work.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Well damn, go to sleep hiding in a tree reasonably safe and wake up to a huge pile of suck.

Ok, let's hope the dice rollers more on my side now than it has been...

Fort vs Paralysis (d20+9)[20]
    Ref vs Whirl damage (d20+15)[31]
    Ref vs tossing (d20+15)[26]

If... IF those pull themselves off then as I understand it I've served my nauseated time bar one round so I've still only got a move action.

Well, that'll be zooming up into the trees again, god bless their leafy goodness, if I survive and they're still around next turn I promise I'll be more help but with just a move there's not much I can do, dammit people I'm a skill monkey glasscannon, stop looking at me like that!!!!!

hide (d20+30)[36]

Edit: This site really needs a happy dance icon.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-14 at 12:11 PM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

21. - Top - End - #231

Planetar

Round 14. Rounds are getting shorter.

Left UGT vanishes. None of you have line of sight to its new position at present.

Right UGT full attacks the air elemental.

Attack 1: (1d20+10)[29]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[12]
    Attack 3: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]
    Attack 4: (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[9]

One of the ugly blubbery things is being swirled around in the air elemental's whirlwind (which is only 5' at the base, as it turns out).

Other ugly blubbery thing full attacks Jaya, who, being paralysed, has basically no AC.

Claw: (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Claw: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Bite: (1d20+2)[4]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

Image targeting rolls, 1 is Jaya: (1d3)[3] (1d3)[2] (1d3)[2] (1d3)[3] (1d3)[1] (1d3)[1]

Remaining images are gone, Jaya takes 4 damage.

1|||||||T|G|G|||||||
    2||||L|L|||||||||||
    3||F|F|L|L|||||G|||S|||
    4|G|F|F|||||||A|||||
    5|||||||||C|C||||||
    6|||||||C|C|C|D||||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|J|||||
    9|||||||||C|C|B|||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11||||||||||||||||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Players' turn. Jaya's paralysed, Tina's hiding. Tina and Jaya need to make another pair of DC 17 Fort saves against the paralysing poison (though it's mostly academic in Jaya's case). Tina is unnauseated.

On the positive side, Dok no longer has to figure out which image to deliver the Freedom of Movement touch to. (Was wondering if you were going to remember that. ) His turn is before Jaya's, so if he delivers it Jaya will get her turn immediately afterwards.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 12:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Fort: (1d20+9)[13]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

What sort of concealment does the fire provide?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

24. - Top - End - #234

Planetar

Combined with the smoke, total.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Tha' way! Thar's a dammed archer tha' way!

Elemental:Move over the archer in front of him, then move until he can see the archer at A4, move over A4, slam the archer, and then move back to A5.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trapped Blubber damage - (2d6)[5]
    First UGT damage - (2d6)[7]
    Second UGT damage - (2d6)[5]
    Slam attack - (1d20+14)[23]
    Slam damage - (2d6+4)[12]
    Dok:Move to K7, cast Freedom of Movement.

Dog:Charge the UGT at J3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Claw Attack - (1d20+18)[33]
    Claw Attack - (1d20+18)[32]
    Bite Attack - (1d20+20)[37]
    Claw Damage - (1d4+7)[11]
    Claw Damage - (1d4+7)[11]
    Bite Damage - (1d8+12)[15]
    Grapple - (1d20+19)[23]
    Rake Attack - (1d20+17)[30]
    Rake Damage - (1d4+4)[8]
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

26. - Top - End - #236

"I am getting sick of this poison."

Look the small blubering thing in the eye and Magic Missile it, casting defensively (and I pretty much auto make the check, so...)

Damage: (5d4+5)[18]

5ft step to L7, end turn.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-14 at 01:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Planetar

Dok - Like I said, you can't see the left archer. Also, the air elemental can't make slam attacks in whirlwind form without changing back. So I guess it runs over the first archer then uses a standard action to take attack form, dumping the contents of the whirlwind out in the process. It'll make slam attacks starting next round.

Saves: (1d20+8)[11] (1d20+8)[16]
    Grapple: (1d20+12)[23]

Archer gets damaged, picked up, and spat out. Leopard charges and claws chunks out of it but this time fails its grapple check to take a hold.

Jaya - Your missiles kill the small blubbery thing.

Tina's turn, then OpFor again.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 02:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

5' drop out of the tree cover and full attack the UGT in J3

(vs Flat AC)
    (d20+12)[22] damage (7d6)[25] +2 str (1/2 miss blink (d10)[9])
    (d20+12)[28] damage (7d6)[18] +2 str (1/2 miss blink (d10)[5])
    (d20+7)[11] damage (7d6)[27] +2 str (1/2 miss blink (d10)[6])
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

forgt Fort save (d20+9)[21]

30. - Top - End - #240

Planetar

Tina: One hit. Others go wide due to firing into melee and the giant leopard in the way.

Round 15.

Left UGT steps out into view and full attacks the leopard. +2 AC due to cover.

Attack 1: (1d20+15)[30]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    Attack 2: (1d20+15)[32]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[16]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[11]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[18]

Right UGT also attacks the leopard, point blank. No cover bonus. All attacks are magic, by the way.

Attack 1: (1d20+10)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[8]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[11]
    Attack 3: (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[8]
    Attack 4: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[10]

Ugly blubbery thing scratches at the air elemental ineffectually.

Sparkly ooze moves in and runs over Jaya and Dok. You both get Reflex saves, DC 14, to jump away. If you succeed, no effect. If you fail:

Spoiler
    Show
    You're hit with a combined fireball and glitterdust effect.
    Fireball: (5d6)[19], Reflex 14 half.
    Glitterdust: Covered in sparkly dust (no save) and blinded, Will 13 negates.

New map:

1|||||||T|G|G|||||||
    2||||||||L|L|||||||
    3||F|F|||||L|L|G|B|||||
    4||F|F|||||||A|||||
    5||G|||||||C|C||||||
    6|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    7|||||||C|C|S|D|J|||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C||||||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11||||||||||||||||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Leopard takes around 50 damage, some saving throws for Dok and Tina, and it's the players' turn again.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-14 at 02:48 PM.