New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Need 3.5e Villain [4e]

I'm running a fourth edition campaign, and at some point I'd like to feature a villain (either minor or major) who is a leftover of 3.5 rules and functions, wishing to return the world to 3.5e. Unfortunately... I have little to no idea of how I would make 4e rules and abilities emulate 3.5e rules and abilities. Can you see a way to make this work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Need 3.5e Villain [4e]

I'm definitely rooting for the villain.
    No idea about the rules though; the systems seem pretty incompatible.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't try this. The 3.5 character will be a glass cannon compared to 4e characters: without a huge Con bonus it'll fall quickly, but 3.5 damage is astronomic compared to 4e damage (fireball for 10d6 at level 10...what in 4e gets close)? That's assuming you can overcome the system differences, which, while possible, is a lot of work.

There may be a sweet spot (I'd guess around level 5 for 3.5, and maybe level 3-5 for 4e), but that's just guesswork. I wouldn't even consider this.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

roll up a PC wizard in 4e (elf, gnome or human).
    make it solo (yeah i know, sounds broken).
    all his spells do 150% damage (increase dice)Empower Spell
    all his spells are ranged, blast or melee 1 (or modify them to be that)
    rename the spells according to 3.5 and rewrite the fluff about them (no change in numbers or effects)
    explain illogical effects ("3.5 Weird" doing "4e Sleep" effect) and overall overpoweredness with the fact that he is an interversional traveler (lost but still a traveler).

motivation: thinks that his old version would "back up" after destroying this new one.

EDIT: In the first 2 turn you could make the wizard cast spell according to their names... and after being attuned to the new version he would use them according to their effect (so 1st and 2nd turn random stupidity, and after the 3rd turn awesome confusingness).
    Last edited by Rigon; 2009-07-07 at 07:25 AM.
    My combat role is Lurker.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Parvum View Post
    I'm running a fourth edition campaign, and at some point I'd like to feature a villain (either minor or major) who is a leftover of 3.5 rules and functions, wishing to return the world to 3.5e. Unfortunately... I have little to no idea of how I would make 4e rules and abilities emulate 3.5e rules and abilities. Can you see a way to make this work?
    Depends on what you want to emulate. Monster summoning is rather easy. Level drain or ability damage, not so much.
    A Butterfly Dreaming - 4e monks and other roleplaying stuff