New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: guitar effects

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default guitar effects

gunna open up one here - as we often have guitar tech threads popping up...

guitar effects pedals/boards/units. Which ones do you dig? Which do you think are over rated? i'd DEFINATELY like to hear views on less well known brands if you've tried any boutique brands. Nice to hear about stuff that isn't boss ;)

one of my favourites, and for its price i've yet to find anything that comes close to topping it: Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDEcLTyYdU

1 dial
    1 toggle
    1 stomp switch

simple

my only minor gripe is its mains-operated only. If its the only pedal you use live, makes it a bit of a hassle to cart round the extension cord etc etc, but as part of a board its just dandy
    Last edited by xPANCAKEx; 2009-06-27 at 02:17 AM.
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: guitar effects

I keep hearing that multi effect pedals are crap and you're better off going with a bunch of specialized pedals. Is there any truth to that?

I was hoping to get an echo pedal for One of these Days and the intro to 2112. Any advice?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have an overdrive pedal, and I'm planning on getting a Big Muff, a volume pedal, a wah pedal, a flanger, and I think maybe one or two other interesting effects. Maybe some fuzz too. But that's all in the future!

Edit: @v That's another one I want, a crybaby! I knew I was missing one.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2009-06-27 at 02:05 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Huh, what a place.

Anyway I have a Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah, a ProCo Turbo RAT distortion, a DOD flanger, a Crybaby, Marshall ED-1 Compressor, and a custom made reverb/overdrive called the Pink Verb.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    I keep hearing that multi effect pedals are crap and you're better off going with a bunch of specialized pedals. Is there any truth to that?

I was hoping to get an echo pedal for One of these Days and the intro to 2112. Any advice?
    the mxr analog delay could probably handle it - check on youtube see if you like it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, I just learned why you don't leave a pedal plugged in. The batteries ran out so fast!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    The problem is when you want to run it through an amp with distortion.
    Wah pedals, volume, gain and (additional) distortion goes usually before pre-gain, that is, you plug into them, and then plug into the amp.
    Reverb, echo, delay, phaser and such effects, on the other hand, are usually put in between pre- and post-gain (with tube amps, you have separate tubes for pre-gain, and other, bigger tubes for post-gain).

A multi effect board combines the two kind of effects, so you have to plug them in before pre-gain. You can't then use them effectively with the amp.
    But they're really great with a simple transistor amp, where you get all gain from the multi effect board.

Then again, I know that Dark Tranquillity uses Behringer V-amp mulit effects and tube amps. But I think they only use the reverb and delay effects from the mulit effect, and use stomp boxes for wah and such.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Aye, like Narmoth said, it really depends on what type of music you want to make and what type of amplification you use.

It also depends on your own level of playing, in my opinion. There are a lot of multi effect boards that are very well affordable and offer a wide range of effects which are ideal for beginning and somewhat-advanced guitarists.

I myself started (years ago) with a board and used that for I think 3 years before I A) achieved a level of play that warranted the investment in more expensive equipment and B) actually had enough understanding and feel for different effects to warrant specific investments.

Funnily, nowadays I have a big box full of pedals and boards collecting dust in the basement and am drawing all my sound from the amp, guitar and pick-ups I use, which makes me very happy :).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Ah, I just learned why you don't leave a pedal plugged in. The batteries ran out so fast!
    its easy enough to daisy chain stuff off a power supply unit. Even if you only use 1 or 2 pedals, it makes a lot of sense for home use as you can leave everything plugged in, then only rely on batteries when playing live. Saves a lot of money that way