New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: If a OOTS video game was in development...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdan22 View Post
    PS: I think Elan and Haley have had sex. Roy and Celia. Oh, and Hilgya and Durkon.
    Don't forget Belkar and Jenny.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EyethatBinds View Post
    It would need to be an FPS or the first game wouldn't sell well enough for the order to get out of the first dungeon.
    Which is why no one has heard of Warcraft

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geek666 View Post
    What about a fighting game like street fighter, super smash bros or maybe even a new installment in the vs. capcom series.

b move Shoot a arrow from the crossbow she had in her first appearance.
    down b move suck the life energy from the opponent.

down b move throw a tangle foot bag.
    b forward jump on windstriker and charge forward.

B move Hit the enemy with a door.
    B forward charge at the enemy.
    super move turn into thog hulk and rage

B move Throw a dagger forward (10% chance of throwing a lit match).
    up B jump up with ring of jumping and slice down into the enemy with daggers.
    forward b throw Mr. scruffy at the foe who lands on them and distracts them similar to what he did with Tsukiko.

B move throw an animal from the bag of tricks into the opponent. It lands on there face and stuns them.
    SUPER SMASH BURLEW!!!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    3. Old-school Wizardry/Might and Magic style first-person party crawl (similar to TSR gold boxes and a host of other games they just don't make any more) - still potential for popup interjections of text, random and specific encounters both dangerous and risible.
    Oh, THAT could work! :D And cue full-party dialogues Quest for Glory style (that is, showing full pictures of the characters rather than just the small usual portrait or whatnot... and maybe different modified pictures to represent different levels of injury and status effects....) and inter-party banter outside of combat and quips during combat! :D Gosh, that would be soooo awesome. ^^
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

Two words: Final Fantasy. You get to choose which member of the Order you play as, and if you choose V, you even get to choose a gender! Although gender choice won't change appearance.
    I'm a:
    Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 11
    What are you?
    --------
    Threeshades is the best avy maker EVA!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neverwinter Nights!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo
    So Vaarsuvius is an Epic Whatsit now. "Whatsit". I think I like that term.

Link to the Best Band Ever

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Which is why no one has heard of Warcraft
    Well, there is DotA...

8. - Top - End - #38

There was a flash game developed, once upon a time... link.
    It's not terribly polished, but functional. The original thread is here.
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    ..That is actually quite awesome. O.O I mean, yes, not very polished and no plot and all, but it's still a game....

...Incidentally, does anyone know whether fan-made games are something the Giant would object to? I mean, I recall him saying that he wouldn't want to have anything like a movie made (yet, anyway) because he wouldn't be able to have the amount of control over it that he'd like, and the same likely applies to games, but if it's fanmade, it's something entirely different, isn't it? (No expectation to make money, for one thing.)
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say point-and-click adventure game for the humour of it, and the importance of plot.
    One where you can switch between characters and need them to accomplish different things, like Day of the Tentacle, might work.

Otherwise, a RPG might work too, kinda Final Fantasy like, with a solid plot and funny cutscenes, and battles in the middle as filler. And to force you to play the game for 100 hours by making you have to level up for 2 hours between each plot-thing. (Yeah, I dislike that. I'd much prefer the games if they removed all the leveling up thing and you could just follow the story and enjoy the game).

A simulation game where you make some decisions and the plot evolves differently (like the "you're the hero" books, except as a game) could be interesting, but less than the above two options I'd say.

Any game purely about fighting would I think be completely against the spirit of oots, which is a plot and humour based comic.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I would say point-and-click adventure game for the humour of it, and the importance of plot.
    One where you can switch between characters and need them to accomplish different things, like Day of the Tentacle, might work.
    This is the only possible way I would be interested in a video game of OotS. Rich would have to be very heavily involved in its development, though... that kinda goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    Hehe, how cute, people considering graphic adventures "classic."

You Johnny-come-lately types make me sick.
    I think you'll find that most authorities on video games will consider the likes of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion to be "classics". The Beatles would never have existed without the 50s' rock & roll movement but you can't claim they aren't a "classic" band just because you happened to be there when Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were first making waves.

Text-only adventures have their advantages in terms of storytelling, sure, but when you consider the amount of time you have to spend trying to guess the correct verb in order to complete a lot of puzzles (not to mention the fact that if you struggle with written English, it makes the whole game literally unplayable), it's no surprise that they evolved into a simpler point-and-click interface.

Besides, you don't seriously want an OotS video game with no stick figures, do you?
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2009-06-28 at 10:49 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    What kind of genre would you want it to be? What part of the OOTS universe would you want it to take place in?

Personally I would like a RTS
    Turn-based strategy games are better than RTS games.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy: High-damage hits, can one-shot low and mid-level mooks. Great Cleave: After killing an opponent automatically attacks another one during the same attack. Can knock people out with the flat side of the sword. Meat shield ability to completely protect one person from enemy attacks. Strength to carry one body with no speed penalty and two at half speed. Bashes doors open. Bag of Tricks thrice per mission - send small animals to filch keys, gnaw through ropes or distract opponents with their cuteness. High visibility: big and bulky, so opponents will be quicker to notice him. Solves puzzles and riddles but half as fast as V.

Durkon: Can attack opponents with his hammer and defend himself. Healing, obviously. Dispel Magic to remove status effects from teammates or buffs from allies. Stability - place him in a passageway with his shield out and nothing short of a small crowd will be able to budge him. :D Low height - can hide behind low obstacles like shrubbery without needing to crouch like most others. Dwarven dullness - if he's alone and stands still a bunch of enemies can run by without noticing him. More dwarven dullness - enemies who identify him as an opponent but lose sight of him won't immediately recognise him if they see him again. Likewise, if someone spots him and reports him to another person, the report takes twice the usual time as the reporter struggles to outline Durkon's distinguishing features. Thor's Lightning twice per mission. Thor's Might once per mission - for a very short duration, increased size, can carry up to four bodies, can smack up to five opponents with one hit, but no increase in speed. XD

Haley: Ranged attack, can one-shot an enemy who's not aware of her or is fighting someone else. Can snipe at someone at a long range at the cost of the one-shotting ability. Dodges area blast effects like Fireballs. Picks locks, discovers traps and hidden doors, disarms traps. Twice per mission can freeze the enemy with her frost arrows instead of killing them. Jumping and climbing skills. Can move silently over any terrain and sneak by enemies, even through their line of sight if she's not too close to them. If she's alone, can bluff enemies who discover her into thinking that she's a civilian (if the circumstances fit). Can use rope to tie up KO'd enemies. Can pickpocket civilians and distracted guards for resources. If captured and tied up, can sometimes pull the seduction-headbutting trick to knock out a guard before freeing herself.

Elan: Can attack with his rapier for a small amount of damage. Can use an enhanced pun attack for much greater damage five times per mission, which also causes all enemies who hear it to stop whatever they're doing and attack him just to make him pay for the puns (so it doubles as a distraction). :D Can create an illusion that may briefly stall enemies. Can put on a puppet show (with Banjo) to capture the attention of crowds of civilians. Can use the bardic song ability to lure/distract enemies. Can enter buildings by smashing through windows with no damage. Can strip naked making enemies whom he is facing immediately turn away (making them unaware of what happens in Elan's direction) or just completely cover their eyes. Females or enemies who simply aren't bothered either won't be affected or will quickly recover and take appropriate action. In the case of the females (or, rarely, some males), the action may not necessarily be hostile.

Vaarsuvius: Useless in melee. Fireball for huge wide-spread damage three times per mission, Lightning Bolt to hit a row of enemies three times per mission. Disintegrate twice per mission - essentially one-shotting any enemy except for the BIG ones, who'll be injured and dazed but not killed. Invisibility Sphere twice per mission that briefly renders him and others invisible as long as they stay REALLY close. Works on up to five other people, but the greater the number, the greater the chance of being discovered due to noise. Explosive Runes twice per mission. Can use Blackwing to scout ahead and fetch or carry items, such as sheets with Explosive Runes cast on them to be dropped in the midst of a group of mooks. Suggestion twice per day: briefly gives control of an enemy mook. Fly spell: can be cast once per mission on himself or an ally to briefly give them the ability to fly over obstacles or reach otherwise inaccessible places but also makes them a highly visible target for every alert mook in the vicinity (unless used with Invisibility Sphere). Slim build: can hide in or move through narrow spaces that are inaccessible to others. Can move silently over any terrain. May discover spell scrolls during the mission that either replenish expended spells or provide something new. High visibility: Purple hair and bright red robes make mooks quicker to notice him. (A disguise may be worn in certain missions to prevent this.) If captured, can distract and/or bore the enemies into nodding off with a long rant. Can detect secret doors and traps like Haley, but cannot disarm them. Solves puzzles and riddles, though twice as fast as Roy. Ambiguous gender: If he is spotted by someone and then reported to another character, the report takes 150% the usual time due to pronoun trouble.

Belkar: Can hit up to four mooks (and one-shot any of them who are the weakest level) in the space of one attack. Can throw one or both of his daggers for (usually) an instant kill, but will be unarmed until he retrieves them. Climbing and advanced jumping skills. Very low height: only needs to crouch to hide behind obstacles where others would need to lie flat on the ground. Can sneak past opponents, even through their line of sight, more successfully to Haley due to his low height. Can move silently on any terrain. Can craft traps on the spot if he finds sufficient supplies (like a warehouse). Can toss other objects besides his daggers, like a lit match, a rock, etc. With a campfire or kitchen nearby, can cook a quick meal and leave it there, the smell will attract mooks who may abandon their duties and sit down to eat. If available, poison may be used. Can use Mr. Scruffy to either distract opponents with his cuteness or incapacitate enemy casters. Kissing a female enemy mook or civilian may make them leave him in peace. Can set things on fire.
    I never played Commandos, but this is awesome!
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

I see it as something similar to Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, but with more Zelda influences than sheer button mashing. I'd also like to see a more strategy based game, taking the role of a major villain, plotting the downfall of the Order.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    A Baldur's Gate clone seems the most likely, but I'd actually prefer to see at as on old-style adventure game (think LucasArts' Monkey Island series or the various Quest titles under the Sierra banner). Given OotS' roots in RPGs, something a little more stat-heavy might work, too, but I'd still like to see something where plot, humor, and clever solutions takes precedence over raw stat-building. (Let's face it, when do we (or at least I?) cheer for our favorite characters the most? Usually when they find some unusual, creative use of their abilities (Explosive Runes, Control Weather, etc.).

The question is, would you take control of a single character (say Roy), and everyone else would be NPCs or would you control the whole team at once? Would you maybe control different characters at different points in the narrative?
    Why does everyone think of Baldurs Gate first? I mean of course it's obvious but i think Oots would be more like Planescape Torment.

16. - Top - End - #46

i'll bet someone here could make a simple text adventure... that would be awesome!
    Give a man a match, keep him warm for a minute. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I play OotS everytime I boot Icewind Dale.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say an adventure game, Zelda style but with a more complex fight system, or a Final Fantasy kind of thing.

That, or a railroad storytelling game such as the Ace Attorney series, but again with some kind of battle interface.

In both these cases however, I think what would make the game sucessful would be the story it told rather than the gameplay itself. Manuscript and fluff would be vital.

I also think a beat 'em up could work. Preferrably a Super Smash Bros. like thing.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd just go with a fighting game. After all, it would give a lot of people something they really want:

A chance to smack around the character(s) they felt most deserved it.

You just have to make sure you've got the option of different outfits for the characters, even ones that didn't appear in the series. There are at least three available for Celia, for example, but I'm pretty sure a few people would love the option of playing against Miko as either blackguard or death knight. I doubt if anyone cared about whether Eugene gets costume changes or not, though, just as long as he's available to be beaten down.
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Someone could just make a module for NWN2 or even Warcraft 3 to cover our heroes' erstwhile adventure through the Dungeon of Dorukan. I think that would be fun. It would also answer GW's question about whether we could control just Roy, all the PCs at once or different ones at different points in the story (the answer, naturally, being all of the above!)

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    You cannot grasp the true form of Xykon's attack!

(On a side note, I always thought that was by far the scariest part of an already dramatic and frightening battle. I mean, when you break it down in game mechanics, it's a fancy way of saying non-elemental attack, but still..."Hey, I'm sitting here fighting something that can knock me around in ways I cannot even recognise!" That's pure, undiluted awesome and scary at the same time.)
    And you defeat this boss not with bottle rockets, death rays, yo-yos or your trusty bat, but by praying at it really hard. Not the characters you play in the game, you actually have to do it.

Yeah, Earthbound is pretty awesome.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    I thought about this for a while: how would you mix stat-based combat with a good avenue for solving puzzles through humor and clever solutions. Then I realized someone had already turned a webcomic into that game.

It's so obvious in hindsight, I think we have to change the question to: "how would you make a OOTS game using the engine from On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness?"
    I am totally with you on this. Great game, great comics and it puts together stat based combat and clever humour.
    I would prefer a turn based combat instead of a "almost real time" combat system (and it would work better having to deal with spellcasters with almost endless choices like V and Durkon)

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by tanis View Post
    I am totally with you on this. Great game, great comics and it puts together stat based combat and clever humour.
    I would prefer a turn based combat instead of a "almost real time" combat system (and it would work better having to deal with spellcasters with almost endless choices like V and Durkon)
    What almost endless choices? You have to prepare spell slots, right?

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jill View Post
    Miko is underpowered. She's slooooow and doesn't appear to have any perks.

Roy is easily the best for passive regeneration when holding still and attacks that cover a broad area.

Haley will murder mobs with her arrows -- assuming she can get them. Her ability to dash is alright.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-06-29 at 02:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    What almost endless choices? You have to prepare spell slots, right?
    Exactly. Try to do it with the On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness engine.

Still, a 14 level magic user can cast... how many... 50 spells/day? More? Try to navigate in a real time combat enviroment through a list of 50/60 spells then tell me if it's user friendly

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Turn-based strategy games are better than RTS games.

Clearly you have never tried the sheer brilliance of "Myth 2: Soulblighter"
    You need to.

Also, I'd say, for OOTS I'd like something in the lines of KoTOR.
    RT, but still with a D&D system.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Still, a 14 level magic user can cast... how many... 50 spells/day? More? Try to navigate in a real time combat enviroment through a list of 50/60 spells then tell me if it's user friendly
    I can only trust you've never played either Neverwinter Nights game, then? In all fairness, you either need to know what you're up against (sending an invisible familiar to scout, for example) or be very good at improvisational thinking in order to get your spells off as desired, but it can be done. The actual issue I came across wasn't picking spells off of a list (NWN uses Quickslots to mitigate this), but rather aiming my spells in a timely fashion to hit the optimal number of opponents that they would hit in a turn-based environment such as tabletop.

Of course, this was hindered by my own regrettably poor aiming skills, but luckily, they make bunches of wonderful spells which are single target or self-aiming, so I could generally manage to struggle through. Although I still generally played some kind of melee character, just because Knockdown was such a ridiculous weapon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Miko is underpowered. She's slooooow and doesn't appear to have any perks.
    Really? I suck with everyone but her.

...And that is how I met your father.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A Castle Crashers style beat 'em up would be awesome.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    I can only trust you've never played either Neverwinter Nights game, then? In all fairness, you either need to know what you're up against (sending an invisible familiar to scout, for example) or be very good at improvisational thinking in order to get your spells off as desired, but it can be done. The actual issue I came across wasn't picking spells off of a list (NWN uses Quickslots to mitigate this), but rather aiming my spells in a timely fashion to hit the optimal number of opponents that they would hit in a turn-based environment such as tabletop.
    NWN can easily be made turn-based by hitting the Pause button, which allows you to queue up actions at your leisure. (cast Invisibility, drink healing potion, move 10 feet to the left, throw Fireball.) This can even be done in multiplayer depending on the server settings.

30. - Top - End - #60

Wii Fit.