New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (D&D 3.5) Good exotic weapons

So I'm considering building an Exoticist variant Fighter/Rogue skillmonkey, primarily with a spiked chain for tripping. Since by my understanding, Exoticist grants proficiency with 4 exotic weapons and I didn't see any I liked offhand other than spiked chain...

So, yeah, what're some other good exotic weapons? I know a gnomish calculus is good for awhile until alchemical items become useless (unless the DM likes enchanced alchemy or whathaveyou)... And I was thinking of something to cover the 2 other damage types (bludgeoning and slashing particularly)... Maybe either Fullblade or Bastard sword for the slashing... Maybe Maul or Dire Flail for bludgeoning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (D&D 3.5) Good exotic weapons

Kaorti Resin weapons are pretty much amazing. Requires extra proficiency above and beyond what a normal weapon would give. So, to use a Kaorti Resin Spiked Chain, you'd need 2x Exotic Weapon Proficiencies. It sets your crit damage multiplier to 4x though, which is pretty freakin sexy.

Its online somewhere in a web enhancement.

For extra lulz, you could wield an orc quadruple axe as well. Don't think about it too hard though, as just imagining it has a chance to slice one of your own limbs off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The heavy repeating crossbow might be a good option. The net could work as well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kusari-Gama. Spiked Chain, but Light instead of 2-handed. Not great for your build but a lot of fun IMHO. Great for TWFers.

Harpoon. Thrown, sticks in the enemy, deals double damage being pulled out. Can be atached to a rope to control movement.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5

Urgrosh.

Harpoon. Thrown, sticks in the enemy, deals double damage being pulled out. Can be atached to a rope to control movement.
    To the last, I grapple with thee. From Hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate sake, I spit my last breath at thee.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-06-27 at 07:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's also the Ritiik from the Frostburn, works like the Harpoon, aside from the throwing part.
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I like the Sugliin for straight-up, "it needs to DIE right now", damage-dealing. Found in Frostburn, same as the Ritiik.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Full blades are pretty nasty (and bordering on ridiculous) but my favorite has to be the tried and true bastard sword.

The thing I like about the bastard sword, is you can two hand power attack with it, or grab a shield and go sword and board. Some people don’t like it but I do.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Greathammers, of the Greathorn Minotaur variety. 1d12(19-20/x4) with a bonus on sunder checks? Yes, please! It's in MM2 or 3, iirc.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Full blades are pretty nasty (and bordering on ridiculous) but my favorite has to be the tried and true bastard sword.

The thing I like about the bastard sword, is you can two hand power attack with it, or grab a shield and go sword and board. Some people don’t like it but I do.
    Because S&B is terrible. The +.5 Str damage is far better. The best way to prevent damage is to kill something, not to boost AC. If you really want a shield, go Animated and you can have your cake and eat it too.

Edit: Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer is not MMII. 3 or 4, I think it's 4. Only worth it if the DM uses the 19-20/x4 Crit, which few do. I view it as balanced, but many hate the ability. I'd recommend describing it as 'spending a feat on the weapon instead of Improved Critical'. Then you take Impacting...
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-06-27 at 08:18 PM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Very true.

But still I like the look and feel of a sword and shield fighter. It’s a shame they’re so bad.

As to that greathammer thing, its rather mean, but hardly broken.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2009-06-27 at 08:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, right, nice call. I opened up my MM pdfs, and the Greathorn Minotaur is page 100 in the MMIV.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Very true.

But still I like the look and feel of a sword and shield fighter. It’s a shame they’re so bad.

As to that greathammer thing, its rather mean, but hardly broken.
    Crusader, Kinght, and Duskblade can pull it off.

The real problem with the Bastard Sword is that either you S&B, meaning you use an awesome shield and BA Longsword, or you THF and use a Greatsword. If you want to switch between the 2, you use a Longsword 2-handed. The extra 1 point of damage from the Bastard Sword isn't worth a feat. Wep Spec is better, and Wep Spec sucks.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Small suggestion ... I'd skip the Exoticist.

Rogue4/Regular Fighter 2/Master of Masks1/Regular FighterX

Spend the skill points to learn four total languages at level 1. (Your DM may be nice and count Common as a language for purposes of the prereq). Max out Perform(act), Disguise, and Bluff each level. You'll need to either be a human or have at least 12 INT to get MoM by 7th - if you aren't either of those, you'll have to take another Fighter level and pick up MoM at 8th. Get the Gladiator mask and whatever other mask you like. You are now proficient in not four, but all exotic weapons. The mask will also make up for one of the two lost BAB with a +1 competence bonus to attack. You also now have access to all of the fighter feats, which include all of the Exoticist feats.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I remember there being some passable exotic weapons in Planar Handbook. I don't have it open right now, so I don't remember specifics, but I can at least point you in that direction.

Likewise, I remember there being some cool things in Sandstorm. I recall being enamored of the Eagle's Claw because there's a feat that lets you get an additional attack with one (as a full-round, of course, basically Rapid Shot or Flurry)... not amazing, but there's worse out there. There are a few other decent ones in Sandstorm as well, so it's worth checking out.

Hmmm... with the Throw Anything feat or some similar trick, Rapid Shot, and Eagle's Fury (the feat I mentioned above), you can get two additional attacks with an Eagle's Claw on top of whatever iteratives you have. Of course, this takes at least six feats (Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, EWP: Eagle's Claw, Eagle's Fury, Throw Anything, and Quick Draw), so it's really, really not worth it, but dammit, it's cool. Might be fun to throw on an NPC sometime or something.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, yeah, what're some other good exotic weapons?
    Check out Person_Man's Haberdash build for a list of all the interesting/worthwhile exotic weapons:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I've always quite liked the Desert Throwing Knife from Sandstorm if you have spare Exotic Weapon Proficiencies to throw around (pun intended)...not, perhaps the best weapon in the world, but I like the idea of a half decent throwing knife; just add Far Shot to increase your range increment to that of your Sneak Attack limit.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm surprised noone has linked to the gleemax thread yet.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=796494

I've been looking at the other thread too, neither one seems complete... but between the two of them, that should be pretty much all good exotic weapons in 3.5.

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Gnome Quickrazor or the Braid Blade. The gnome quickrazor allows you to unsheath, attack, and resheath the weapon to keep your hand free. Not game breaking, but I find it cool. The Braid Blade is a marginally weak weapon, especially when you consider that it's only 18-20/x2, not the 18-20/x3 you see running around, but, yet again, it brings up an interesting image AND leaves your hands completely free.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Always been a big fan of the Fullblade/Strongarm Bracers combo. Even better with a size large race. (Powerful build not stacking with the bracers)

A friend's Minotaur Barbarian/Warhulk/Frenzied Berzerker loves his size huge Fullblade. 4d8 weapon, STR in the high 30s, attacks that hit 3 squares at once and power attack for the picnic.... *shudder*
    Was HP before HP was cool.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Crusader, Kinght, and Duskblade can pull it off.

The real problem with the Bastard Sword is that either you S&B, meaning you use an awesome shield and BA Longsword, or you THF and use a Greatsword. If you want to switch between the 2, you use a Longsword 2-handed. The extra 1 point of damage from the Bastard Sword isn't worth a feat. Wep Spec is better, and Wep Spec sucks.

Yeah, an easy fix is to simply make the bastard sword martial instead of exotic. that way you don't have to waste a feat on bastard sword and you can get weapon spec (which does kinda suck).

Personally I think there are a lot of weapon and feat combinations that you shouldn’t have to take in order to use it.

A great example is the rapier and weapon finesse. You should have weapon finesse built into the rapier so you can wield it properly, instead of having to waste a feat. If tripping weapons grant a bonus when you trip things with them, why shouldn’t a Finesseable weapon let you use your dexterity to attack rolls without a feat?

22. - Top - End - #22

HalfOrcPirate

Any exotic weapon that is 1 handed can be combined with Exotic Weapon Master to get 2x strength to damage rather than the original 1.5. That matters more and more as your levels climb, especially if you have rage of some sort.

Harpoon is a definite plus one. There's nothing wrong with a Net, especially because of that cool weapon style feat for net + trident.

EDIT: and a fullblade is nothing more than a bastard sword for a large creature. You can already wield one if you have weapon proficiency Bastard Sword.
    Last edited by woodenbandman; 2009-06-28 at 01:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I had a build a while back that was pretty kickass that uses an exotic weapon. An Urgrosh qualifies for both Flurry of Strikes AND Uncanny Blow, allowing you an extra swing per round at your highest AB for a minor -2 penalty, AND you get 2x your str bonus. If you build as a Dwarf Ranger1/Fighter2/Barbarian2/Deepwarden2/EWM2 with Steadfast Determination (PHBII), you are completely dependant only on Str and Con and will be able to severly cut people with your Urgrosh wielded 2handed (Important: NEVER duel wield with it, as this is the path to suck and fail). Also nice since you can enchant either end with different properties and not have to worry about drawing a seperate end. I recommend the axe head be your general purpose asskickin end with stuff like Wounding and Collision, and the pointy end be your exotic DR cracking end with something like Transmuting or Shadowstriking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

24. - Top - End - #24

Heres not just one, but two good exotic weapons not mentioned in any list so far:

The Maul (CW pg. 154)
    The Warmace

Whats so special about them? Well, they are Exotic One-Handed Bludgeoning weapons. And that means they don't just qualify for the exotic weapon masters 'Uncanny Blow', but also for Greater Mighty Wallop.

Weapons that fullify all three pre-reqs (must be exotic and must be one-handed for Uncanny Blow, must be bludgeoning for Greater Mighty Wallop) are incredibly rare.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

As Darrin already posted, you may wish to consider my Haberdash build (which he contributed to heavily). Here's a repost of the useful exotic weapons:

The Full List of Potentially Useful Exotic Weapons
    Spoiler
    Show

Braid Blade: Dungeon 120: 1d3, 18-20, x2. On a full attack, allows you to make an extra attack at -5, or -2 if you have 5 ranks of Tumble.

Collapsing Crescent Fan: Sandstorm, p. 96: +4 to attack any flat-footed foe. Great when combined with Iaijutsu Focus.

Composite Greatbow: Complete Warrior: Does 1d10 damage and has a 130 ft range increment. So this a good long ranged weapon for pure damage dealing.

Elven Courtblade: Races of the Wild: 1d10, 18-20 *2. Slightly less damage then the Jovar. But this two handed weapon can be used for both Power Attack and Weapon Finesse.

Flindbar: Monster Manual III: +2 to Disarm, and when you threaten a crit (19-20 or 17-20 with any Keen effect) you get a free Disarm attempt before you roll to confirm the crit.

Foot Spike: Races of the Wild: Yet another place to hide a weapon, just in case your DM decides to have your party taken prisoner.

Glot: Frostburn: Can be used to make ranged trip attacks, and deals better damage then bolas or barbed bolas.

Goad: Frostburn: Reach weapon that deals non-lethal damage, in case you ever want to capture someone without killing them. Also gives you +2 to Handle Animal checks against Huge or bigger animals.

Greathammer: Monster Manual 4 or Races of Stone: 1d12, 19-20/x4 or just 20/x4, depending on which version you use. Also gives you +2 to Sunder a weapon or shield, but sundering your future treasure is generally a bad idea.

Harpoon: Frostburn: A harpooned creature moves at half speed, cannot charge or run, and if you attach a rope to it you can limit their movement away from you. It can be removed with a full round action, which deals damage again. Occasionally helpful for battlefield control. Or you can enchant it with Returning, and have a double damage ranged attack.

Ice Axe: Frostburn: +4 to Climb checks.

Jovar: Planar Handbook: 2d6, 18-20, *2. With high damage and a high threat range, this is your is a respectable pure damage dealing weapon. Buy a Scabbard of Keen Edges.

Kaorti weapons: Fiend Folio web enhancement: *ANY* weapon can be made out of kaorti, which gives it a crit multiplier of x4. You need an EWP for a kaorti version of a weapon (even if it is already exotic), but... hey, no problem for Haberdash! Combine with a Keen Elven Courtblade or something similar for a ridiculous crit. Of course, this is a ridiculously exotic weapon, as you need to convince an Evil Outsider to make it for you (or accept the +4 LA to be a Kaorti yourself). My suggestion is that you invest in Knowledge (Planes), and ask your DM for a side quest to get one.

Lance: Not exotic, but everyone who is proficient should keep one on their mount. You never know when double damage from a charge might come in handy.

Lasso: Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 34: Using a lasso is a ranged touch attack that imposes a -2 to attack rolls and -4 on Dex (no Save).

Longstaff: Complete Adventurer: If you fight defensively or use Combat Expertise while using this weapon, you can’t be flanked. Screw you Rogues!

Mancatcher: Complete Warrior: Gives you a free Grapple attempt when you hit your enemy. Also, as long as your enemy can’t reach you, they can’t attack you or do anything other then attempt to move or escape from the grapple.

Net (PHB): Using a net is a ranged touch attack (maximum range of 10 feet) that imposes a -2 to attack rolls and -4 to Dex, 1/2 movement, and you can’t charge or run (no Save).

Orc Shotput: Sword & Fist, p. 71: One of the best thrown weapons in the game: 2d6 damage, 19-20 crit, x3 multiplier. Add some Master Thrower for extra fun.

Pincer Staff: Underdark: Basically a mancatcher that deals more damage.

Razor Net: Dragon Compendium, p. 115: All the hassle of a regular net, and it does 1d6 damage.

Ritiik: Frostburn: If you successfully hit an enemy, the enemy must make a Reflex Save. If it fails, you get a free Trip Attempt. Basically a weaker version of Knock-Down for free.

Scorpion Claws: +4 to Grapple checks. The bonus is unnamed, so it stacks with Improved Grapple. They're also light weapons, so no Power Attack, but yes for TWF. Sandstorm.

Sharktooth Staff: Savage Species: Gives you a free Grapple attempt when you hit your enemy. Unlike the mancatcher or pincer staff, it has no reach. But it deals the best damage. It’s also worth mentioning that they each have size restrictions.

Spiked Chain: PHB: Useful if you have a ton of reach and a potent magic weapon with an AoO build. But most of the time you can just use a glaive and a 5 ft step. If you're really in a pinch, use armor spikes.

Spinning Sword: Secrets of Sarlona, pg 136. Basically a Spiked Chain that you can only use with one hand. Useful if you want to be a sword and board build, or a TWF build.

Sugliin: Frostburn: Does 2d8 damage, but it’s a full round action to make 1 attack. But hey, until you get to +6 BAB, this is your weapon of choice for pure damage dealing when you’re already standing next to your enemy.

Whip Dagger: Drow of the Underdark: 15 feet of reach, which might be helpful on occasion. You can also use it with the Whip Climber Skill Trick to do Indiana Jones-ish swinging.

You should check out the rest of the build though, as it has various useful combos.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The bola for ranged trip attacks. It only has a 10 foot increment, which means a 50 foot max range, but tripping is a touch attack so that should help deal with the distance penalties.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I had a build a while back that was pretty kickass that uses an exotic weapon. An Urgrosh qualifies for both Flurry of Strikes AND Uncanny Blow, allowing you an extra swing per round at your highest AB for a minor -2 penalty, AND you get 2x your str bonus. If you build as a Dwarf Ranger1/Fighter2/Barbarian2/Deepwarden2/EWM2 with Steadfast Determination (PHBII), you are completely dependant only on Str and Con and will be able to severly cut people with your Urgrosh wielded 2handed (Important: NEVER duel wield with it, as this is the path to suck and fail). Also nice since you can enchant either end with different properties and not have to worry about drawing a seperate end. I recommend the axe head be your general purpose asskickin end with stuff like Wounding and Collision, and the pointy end be your exotic DR cracking end with something like Transmuting or Shadowstriking.
    Yeah but Keld, your build required someone to houserule a god into existence, as well as a few other minor errors.

Hotel papa: If your buddy had a +1 'balanced' (from Magic of Faerun), he could also have it made from gold or platinum, making it count as if it was one size larger than that. 4d6 becomes 6d6 I'm told.

28. - Top - End - #28

I like the gnome swordcatcher, but mainly because a Bard/Marshal can use both Snowflake Wardance and the Art of War Aura to get a nice disarm modifier with it. Never played a character with it, but it's an idea I kick around every so often.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It was stated on WotC board thread link, but the Tigerskull club is a pretty sweet weapon. It sounds like a silly weapon, but probably one of the best 1 handed weapons ever, and totally worth the proficiency feat. Frostburn
    Last edited by Tehnar; 2009-06-30 at 09:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but the Talenta Sharrash from Ebberon Campaign Setting is some kind of nasty. It's 1d10 damage, 19-20/x4 critting, reach, and trip all in one package. The only reason it might not be included in this discussion is because characters native to the Talenta Plains treat it as a martial weapon.

And let's also remember that it's likely wielded by halfiling riding frickin' dinosaurs.