New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Well, dirtbags, it seems some of you were intrigued enough by the catchy title line to enter this office. You are being offered an opportunity that, in generations to come, will be the envy of every right thinking man, woman, child, and freakish silicon based entity that falls into none of above listed categories. You, miscellanious scum, are being given a chance to join in and make decisions for the greatest military entity in the history of the Earth.

You, ladies, gents, and poorly disguised aliens spies (You in the back, with the hideous carapace: The baseball hat isn't fooling anyone.) are being given a chance to join X-Com.

Now, normally I'd hand you some form of weapon, a shirt in team colors, and let you charge to your glorious deaths, but it seems the limp wristed sissies at the UN are making noises about "Appropriate use of resources" "minimizing civilian casualties" and other such defeatest coward talk. This sad hamstringing of your glorious leader's tactical ability forces me to allow you, the pathetic grunts who might as well be wearing shirts with "Blue Team" on the front, to decide on base location and "general tactical outlook" AKA whether or not I make every effort to save each and every one of your worthless hindquarters or if I take the man's route, with death or glory charges, heroic last stands, and hilarious grenade related "Accidents" which I record and submit to whichever country we're in's most painful home videos, where we will most assuredly be beaten by video of a baby making odd noises!

Where was I? Right. Volunteers. So just stick your John Hancock on the line, submit your votes on technological developments, Ironman mode, and the nation most worthy of our defensive efforts, and die gloriously for Earth and X-Com. If you fail to die gloriously, then at least bring back alien corpses.

(Note: This let's play may end without notice due to any of the following factors: Work, lack of work, boredom, excitement, success, failure, swine flu, bird flu, human flu, or actual alien invasion. In the event of cancellation, feel free to blame Fox.)

Current cast:
    Spoiler
    Show

The crew of the XAS Avenger, code named "Hand of God"

Chiasaur11: Your glorious leader and commander. Good with a quip, a gun, or a Psi amp, he's earth's last, best hope against the encroaching menace.

Nano: A new pilot appointed after a mysterious tragedy, Nano was lucky enough to get to pilot the Avenger, X-COM's newest top of the line craft. Like most assignments at X-COM, there's a thin line between a plumb assignment, and a suicide mission. Nano hasn't noticed yet that a trip to Cydonia? Probably the latter.

Copper: The crack shot sniper with a million word a minute mouth, his organizational skills have aided X-COM enough to make the Sectoids hate him almost as much as his commander does.

Lopez: X-COM's trusted Heavy Weapons Platform, Lopez has been a key component of every mission. Whether he's drawing fire, slaughtering Chryssalids, or just scouting, Lopez is the linchpin of any X-COM assault.

Tengu Temp: The rising star of X-COM, Tengu Temp is earth's finest psychic, a mental marvel unmatched by anything the aliens can field. Unfortunately, all the power tends to go to his head.

BRC: Comrade! Have you heard the word? X-COM's resident dirty red, BRC is a revolutionary to the core, and with the help of a standard issue Psi-Amp, he's spreading the revolution to every alien he can.

Trazoi: Every unit needs a medic, and when disaster strikes, Trazoi's the closest thing X-COM has. Of course, he's a bit rusty on most of the basics, up to and including "first, do no harm."

Slaanesh: Don't ask. Just... don't ask.

Jimor: An ex PI trying to solve the murder of an old buddy, Jimor's alcohol system is only .03% blood by volume.

Kane: Is dead. And also alive. He tries not to think about it much.

Lord of Rapture: Some fight with guns. Some fight with their minds. Rapture fights with conspiciously placed notes around the base saying how awesome he is. It seems to be working so far.

Sheila The Fort Fri laser tank, Sheila's a solid bit of craftsmanship, with the best laser based armament available. She gets along fairly well with Lopez. So well, in fact, it might be impeding job performance.

(Classified) The AI on the Avenger, this particular bit of programming seems a bit... mad. Still, he hates the alien menace, and that should be enough for now.

Murska: Is also there.

War is fought with brains and tech as well as guns and rockets, of course.

Cubey runs X-COM's highly ethically questionable science division, where every day is a good day to try to build city sized mechs.

Chumbley, the alien captured by X-COM on a routine raid, tries his best to aid X-COM in the study of alien craft with some success, while also helping with general around the base busywork. He makes the best waffles known to man.

Swot: The chief engineer of X-COM. Usually making laser cannons in a dimly reasonably well lit basement.

Fort Fri is the secondary base, currently keeping busy trying to prevent England from being devoured by Chryssalids. It's an unpopular job, but with Knight in charge, no one has ever asked to quit. More than once.

Alex Knight: The second in commander of earth's defensive efforts, Knight is a man more prone to action than thought. The deadliest man alive in close quarters combat, he makes every mission a terror mission, for the aliens at least.

Pie Guy: was the most promising of the recruits, quickly making Sergeant. However, his cowardice led to disaster, a lost tank, and three dead. He still regrets it.

Rockphed: The first to volunteer for suicide missions, Rockphed seems to have a death wish. This gives everyone around him the heebie jeebies, which means he's usually left alone on the Skyranger, the safest position of all.

Kzickas: Is a member of X-COM.

Flickerdart: An idealistic rookie, Flickerdart is one of the three soldiers in the Fort Fri Skyranger team who has not yet learned to wet his or her pants at the mention of the word "Muton". And one of those three is Colonel Knight, who files fear under "Oh yeah. That thing aliens do when they see me".

Oslecamo: Another new member of the Fort Fri active team, Oslecamo is unusually optimistic about X-COM's deathrate. "At least there's more of a chance for a promotion."

Dark Fiddler: One of first men recruited for X-COM, Fiddler has been marked for death since day one. Even with the current unblemished record of success, he's wary. He knows he's one whim of command away from a suicidal scouting run, and he's doing his best to avoid it.

Eldan: Is totally not an alien spy. Really.

Ferrus &
    Zero Numerous: The odd job men of the crew, Ferrus and Numerous replaced vets with records dating back to day one. Although it took a while, they both earned their stripes with willingness to obey nearly suicidal orders, assuming someone was covering for them. They still debate the relevant virtues of Joel and Mike more than most of the base staff.

X-COM fights in the air as well. Our ace pilots (with one unfortunate exception) are a valuable asset, taking down ships far better armed than earth's with nothing more than gumption, devotion, and devastating plasma cannons.

Hans Von Hammer: The presumably German flying ace at X-Com Europe, his skill almost makes us overlook the fact he speaks almost constantly in quotes from old issues of "Enemy Ace".

King: One of X-COM's newest pilots, King thought he'd be joining a thriving garrison at Kaiju control, but, due to a bureaucratic error, he's not just the only pilot, but in fact the only person at the base.

Lester: Nano's replacement as the Fort Fri interceptor pilot, Lester is the third pilot of Interceptor 2. He tries not to let stories of a haunted breakroom bother him. He doesn't do that very well.

Of course, for every hero in the field, there are three guys sitting arond doing nothing. We salute you, and your drain on the budget.

Lord Herman
    Pendell
    Thanatos
    Redpieper
    Tykspoon
    Slaneesh
    Johnny Blade
    Redpieper
    Cristo Meyers
    Narazil
    Gralamin
    Jibar
    Tyracus
    Suzuro
    11th Hour
    The accursed Dexter Griff

Finally, those who gave their last measure of devotion for X-COM.

Artanis
    Fri
    Lokxy
    Winterwind
    Kane
    Eldan
    Bouregard
    Penguinizer
    That other guy
    Dallas Dakota
    Headless Ninja
    Azure Butterfly

You will not be forgotten. For at least half an hour.

And an index of updates. From the first downed UFO to the final plasma round on Cydonia, the definitive list of events, with links!
    Spoiler
    Show

Prologue: Yes, this is the commander. Yes, you are doomed.
    Mission 1: Say hello to the valiant men and women of X-Com.
    Mission 2: Now say goodbye.
    Mission 3: New aliens. New psychopaths. Same old Chicago.
    Mission 4: Home is where they try to kill you.
    Intermission 1: Sweeping up corpses and counting the dead.
    Mission 5: Sensational character find of '99.
    Intermission 2: Enemy well know.
    Mission 6: The easy ones get you less of a pay check.
    Mission 7: Menace in Moscow! (Also aliens)
    Mission 8: Walk softly...
    Mission 9: Body armor? What kinda crazytalk is this?
    Mission 10: Yes, CAPTAIN Copper. Can't win them all.
    Mission 11: The beginning of a beautiful friendship? (No.)
    Mission 12: Ninja vs. Aliens.
    Mission 13: Shines the name, shines the name...
    Mission 14, part 1: There's a thousand stories in the city.
    Mission 14, part 2: This one ended a bit abruptly.
    Missions 15 and 16: Snakemen? Don't see the threat, really.
    Mission 17: The most dangerous game of all
    Intermission 3: Tensions mount.
    Mission 18: Private detective, public alien hunter.
    Mission 19: Toho meets Romero.
    Missions 20 and 21: Snakes on a spaceship before it was played out!
    Mission 22: Melting of the minds.
    Mission 23: Disasterpeice theatre, starring Pvt. Jimor.
    Mission 24: We all fall.
    Mission 25: Some folks just get back up.
    Mission 26: Avengers, ASSEMBLE!
    Mission 27: Robot Roll Call!
    Mission 28: Lead, follow, or cower in the corner.
    Mission 29: Even more extreme than usual home makeover.
    Mission 30: Snakes. Getting bored of Snakes.
    Mission 31: Death of a madman. Or not.
    Cydonian Assault Part 1: We go to Mars, not because it is easy...
    Part 2: Or because it is hard.
    Finale: But because man has always wanted to kill space aliens.
    Epilogue: A debt to the dead.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-06-09 at 12:11 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it.

Which X-Com game are we talking about here, specifically? X-Com: UFO Defense (better known as UFO: Enemy Unknown over here)?

If so, I vote for an Ironman game and for the primary base to be situated in some poorly accessible area in the Swiss Alps - from there, the X-Com will be able to watch unnoticed by civilian eyes over the multitude of countries located in Europe and Northern Africa.

(also, I have never participated in any Let's Play before, but this is just too interesting for me. Enemy Unknown was my most favourite game of all pretty much throughout the 90ies)
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-27 at 09:49 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

UFO: Enemy Unknown AKA UFO Defense indeed.

Although if you all voted for some insane reason to fund the enforcer project, well, I will cede to the will of democracy. (Curse you democracy.)

So, votes so far

Swiss Alps: 2
    USA! USA!: 1
    Saves:
    Ironman.
    Research
    Lasers.

Recruits:
    Winterwind. (Redshirt)
    Copper8642 (Fighting Quartermaster)
    Trazoi (Doomed grunt )
    That other guy
    Fri
    Loxxy
    The Dark Fiddler
    Alex Knight.
    Bouregard
    Headless ninja
    Eldan: (Alien spy)
    Penguinizer: (Grenades)
    Artanis (Demolitions)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-06-28 at 01:32 PM.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

What is Ironman, anyways?

That being said, I might be interested. Sign me up, but I might disappear if I can't catch on.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Research
    No votes.
    I propose to start with Laser Weaponry; as useful as medikits would be, if we start researching Laser Weaponry right away we have a fair chance to have a decent amount of Laser Pistols and even a couple of Laser Rifles when the nefarious invaders launch their first terror assault.

I also propose we buy ourselves three Avalanche-type missile launchers and swap all our Interceptor weaponry for this vastly superior weapon, get ourselves an autocannon with high explosive rounds for when we need to quickly cover the area with explosions, a dozen of E-Flares in case of night missions, a stun rod or two (if the opportunity presents itself) and a Cannon-AWC for the most dangerous hotspots in the missions on the occasion throwing redshirts rookies into the grinder doesn't seem the most prudent strategic option.

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Recruits:
    Winterwind. (Any specialties in mind?)
    Assign me as you please. I don't claim to be astonishingly good at that game, but I have won it with Ironman before.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    What is Ironman, anyways?
    Saving/Loading only for taking a break of playing, but no re-loading just because things go south. Defending the Earth is a bloody and gritty matter, soldier, and many of us will see the daisies from below before this war is over; there is no divine intervention that can save you like a reload button.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-27 at 10:09 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #6

Hmmm... my problem with being assigned a position is my lack of skill at this game. I'm very bad at it. That being said, while I could never survive an Ironman style game, I'm voting that you do. So I feel like I signed up for an actual alien invasion defense. Where I can die. And probably will.

Oh, and I agree with Winterwind on most points, except I think we should get the tank with the rockets, the cannon is LAME!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't feel strongly either way as far as the AWC is concerned, but I feel I should elaborate on my reason for voting for the Cannon.

The main purpose of the AWC, as far as I see it, would be to move whereever it would be exceedingly dangerous to move soldiers. Of course, we will be losing rookies left and right anyway, but in some cases it may seem just too dangerous to send even them. This means, however, that the AWC may often be forced to operate in closed confines and/or in proximity to X-Com personel or (in terror missions) civilians, so while the cannon is an infinitely inferior weapon, it would eliminate the risk of catching the tank or humans in the explosion. The AWC's main purpose is to divert fire from the squishy human soldiers, not to make kills anyway.

The rockets would have the added benefit of eliminating cover and clearing away large passages where we would need them, just like an autocannon or portable rocket launcher would. Also, much bigger potential to actually kill aliens.

Personally, while I'm noone to deny that rockets have their distinct advantages too, I find the cannon's useability while in proximity to targets one doesn't want to hit synergizes better with the AWC's primary function (scouting/taking hits instead of soldiers).
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-27 at 10:34 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #8

Very true. So I guess either way works.

Also, Winter, do you follow me around this forum, or do we just look at all the same topics?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You might note I posted in this thread before you did, and last time I checked I possess no prophetic powers (as handy as those might be).

Same for a fair amount of other threads you posted in (in fact, I started at least one of those )

I guess it's mostly that strategy games interest me practically without exception, and you seem to have a preference for strategy games as well.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #10

Wow, I'm the stalker without even realizing it. Creepy.

Oh, I forgot to vote on a location. I like Mid-Northern America. But they pay well, so maybe that's too easy for a game like this?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Wow, I'm the stalker without even realizing it. Creepy.

Oh, I forgot to vote on a location. I like Mid-Northern America. But they pay well, so maybe that's too easy for a game like this?
    Son, if defending the good old United States of America from the godless swarms of communist Martians is wrong, well then we might as well give up on brutally slaughtering other species solely for our own amusement!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    If so, I vote for an Ironman game and for the primary base to be situated in some poorly accessible area in the Swiss Alps - from there, the X-Com will be able to watch unnoticed by civilian eyes over the multitude of countries located in Europe and Northern Africa.
    I'd go slightly more east and place the base somewhere around the Austria/Hungary/Slovenia border, but the reasoning is the same.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Good to know.

Also, what free image hosting sites would everyone here recommend for this kind of project?

Don't want to overload it and lose all the images for weeks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

where do i sign..

1 vote for Europe as a base of operation,
    1 vote for Laser followed by armour

and

1 vote for ironman

position:

NOT the guy opening the door while holding primed hand grenade.

15. - Top - End - #15

This has the smell of a potentially insanely amusing thread. Or maybe it's just burnt flesh.

I'm horrendeously bad at this, eventhough x com was some sort of a cult classic in my country back then, a lot more cultsy and classicy than any other cult classic game. So I can't help with the decision making. I can only offer my personal wit, strength, and courage in one convenient fleshy package.

Do what you need to do with it, my commander.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Primary base with research facility should be in Europe. Second base could be in the U.S.A. Laser rifle is a must, followed by personal armor and medkits.

17. - Top - End - #17

Hey! I didn't want to abandon it, but nobody else was posting! I had made three posts right in a row with no intermittent posts!

*cough* ANYWAY... I vote for not dieing, thank you very much.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

18. - Top - End - #18

Definately Iron Man mode...and lasers. Lots of lasers.

My personal squad has 2 guys with pistols and stun batons (I.E. "bait"), 2-4 people with heavy weapons (missiles, autocannons), and everyone else with a rifle and some grenades.

I'd like to be the guy on overwatch who somehow manages to miss the aliens moving up to slaughter the team every time.

19. - Top - End - #19

Why everyone researches medkits? My people are either shot dead or not shot dead.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bouregard View Post
    Why everyone researches medkits? My people are either shot dead or not shot dead.
    Believe it or not, it *is* possible to get wounded, especially once you start wearing armor.

I agree that medkits should be a lower priority than lasers though. Especially since lasers don't run out of ammo. Saves time reloading in the field, and money when you restock.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

^
    This. So lasers. I typically go with USA for my first base. Also: could I be a redshirt?

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't even know what my title means........

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, so many fresh recruits. Your forthcoming senseless and brutal death in the defence of our planet will be highly appreciated (and quickly forgotten).

I also second the multiple times mentioned research order of Laser Weapons -> Laser Pistol -> Laser Rifle -> Alien Alloys -> Personal Armour.

I also second the notion that our secondary base, to be constructed fairly early (though not right away) should be in the US, probably in northern Texas or so.

Oh, and nobody's mentioned it yet (probably because it's too obvious), but we need to start the construction of additional Quarters, Store Rooms, a Long Range Radar and a Containment Facility right away.

And hire a few more rookies and fill up the rest of our quarters with scientists. When the quarters finish, much more scientists and a few engineers, too.

As for the image hosting, personally I use Photobucket for all my image hosting purposes, and I've never run into problems, though I have no idea how well suited it would be for this endeavour.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-28 at 11:59 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

and we definetly need a tank, the only thing that can stand a few hits before we get armor.

25. - Top - End - #25

US is rather boring. Why don't we based ourselves on... say fiji? Or australia?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    US is rather boring. Why don't we based ourselves on... say fiji? Or australia?
    Because it is immensly important to protect our funding. Hence why the two most important spots are either Europe or North America - the former has the biggest density of funding nations, the latter has only Canada, USA and Mexico, but the US are the highest funding nation of them all.

Personally, I find the big number of countries to protect in Europe makes it a better starting location than North America, but both are important and should be protected as soon as possible.

In Australia, we would be too far from all of them. We would practically end up watching as one nation after the other defects to the alien invaders,
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-28 at 12:32 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Sir! I'm not an Alien Spy, Sir! Look at my human hat and glasses!
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyway, applying for any position that is still open, and another vote for Ironman and Switzerland.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're taking recruits, I'd be willing to join up. If possible, I would like to use grenades, since they always result in shenanigans.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Right then, dirtbags, scumbuckets, traitors, spies, and assorted near hippies. On the basis of "democracy" and "logic", you all have got yourselves stationed in Europe with laser research and no-one to save you if you fall. Needless to say, life in X-Com will be hard at first. There won't be any of the comforts of home.

But there is good news. Although I had to take a small funding cut, the UN has agreed that if we are successful, there will be no consequences whatsoever for any atrocities we commit!

(I should get us started by tonight. Might get the upload done before tomorrow. I got both a photobucket and a Flickr account so as to have a backup in case one can't handle all the graphic deaths and destruction sure to ensue.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's not too late to sign up, count me in

My votes regarding:

*Ironman: I don't mind one way or the other

*Starting location: Europe. There's just too many countries that can be covered there.

*Tech: Lasers up through laser rifles. Yes, it is theoretically possible to survive being shot, especially when you have armor...but we don't have armor, and you're screwed anyways if your shots are literally bouncing off the enemy. Besides, laser rifles are the second-best weapon in the game, third place is nowhere close, and the first-place weapon uses Elerium ammo.

*Weapons: One or two ACs with HE rounds, the rest rifles. Electro-flares and stun rods are obvious, with grenades to taste. Phase out the rifles for laser weapons as soon as they come out of the workshops.

*Me: AC-user with HE ammo. THINGS GO BOOM! Also, (if I somehow survive long enough), the blaster-user and psi-attacker whenever we get them.

*Interceptor tactics: I usually keep the missile launchers. Avalanches and (for smaller ships) Stingrays are good enough until we can get plasma beams.