New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Console Games with good/bad Storylines

What games do you think have good stories?

What games do you think have bad stories?

Uncle ST is interested in what you (the people) think.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Console Games with good/bad Storylines

Why only console games?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Because i dont play PC games (with a few exceptions). And, not only that, but if i allow PC games all those point and click story/puzzle games are going to swamp the thread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Alright, i'll bite

BAD: Ninja Gaidan 2

Good: KOTOR 2
    I like pie&&pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie pie

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Good: Bioshock.
    Bad: Condemned 2.
    Brocham
    Yocham

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Bad: Bioshock. Saw it coming.
    Good: Diablo. Just enough to get you to the next mindless slaughter. What more could you ask for?

7. - Top - End - #7

Good: Mass Effect
    Bad: Soul Calibur 3

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Good: Halo series. No, it wouldn't win any pulitzer prices, but it got the job done, and hey, it kept me interested, which is more than I can say for a lot of other games. And the plot didn't take place entirely in cutscenes. Much of the story took place as you were playing the game, and shooting things. Not to mention there was good usage of voice acting, sound effects, and visuals to really sell the whole package.

Bad: Mass Effect. Nothing really happens for 90% of the game. There's essentially an intro sequence and an ending sequence, which are mildly interesting, if cliche, and then leagues and leagues of grind-fest in between.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2009-08-29 at 01:24 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #9

Good: Any Final Fantasy (really you saw it coming)
    Bad: Been a while since i console gamed so i can't really remember any bad.
    Awesome avatar made by Arokh

I have a love affair with cycling.

2789 Miles cycled Since the end of March 2009. Many more to come.

erothayce.tumblr.com

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Good: Most Final Fantasy's, Grandia'a 1 & 2, Bioshock, Legend of Dragoon, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Hotel Dusk

Bad: Blue Dragon, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Star Ocean III

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Bad: Bioshock. Saw it coming.
    Good: Diablo. Just enough to get you to the next mindless slaughter. What more could you ask for?
    Although I'll inevitably burn you at the stake for dissing Bioshock's story, I have to ask: Diablo's on a console?
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

13. - Top - End - #13

Actually, first Diablo was released on PSX.

Anyway, Good: Metal Gear Solid 4?
    Bad: Lost Odyssey. Borring.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I find it amusing that one person posts Mass Effect as a good story and the next posts it as a bad story.

Of course, the negetive opinion used the word "grindfest" to describe a story game, so perhaps they just skipped all the dialogue.

And yes, Bioshock had a pretty bomb story.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2009-08-29 at 08:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Good: Final Fantasy Tactics

Bad: Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance

16. - Top - End - #16

Good: Shin Megami Tensei games (I and II for the SNES and the rest for PS2 if I recall correctly (Or at least the SMT games worth mentioning))

Bad: Uhh, can't really remember anything specifically bad. Represed memories maybe?
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

17. - Top - End - #17

I really enjoyed the story of all the Kingdom Hearts games so far.

But being totally honest here, although I love the series, Pokemon just lacks a good story.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Good: Soul Reaver 2

Bad: Fallout 3

Soul Reaver 2 has some of the most cool time travels I have ever seen. And one of the most surprising and thrilling time paradox I have ever seen. Also, some of the most interesting dialogues between Raziel and Kain in the entire series.

Fallout 3 main quest was just stupid. I couldn't stand James, he was a jerk. Always doing what he wanted with everyone and everything, even his own son/daughter. I didn't even want to save the Wasteland. And the big bad was SPOILER: a robot. I knew it from the beggining. And I didn't even like him. And his evil plan was silly. END OF SPOILER

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

good: Fable the lost chapters.

want to scrape my eyes out bad: fable 2 but that's also partially due to gameplay.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Good: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Definitely that one.
    Bad: KotOR 2, if they haven't changed the story for the console version.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Good Stories: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4. Few games spend as much time on character development for its main characters or have said characters be as interesting as they are. I dare anybody to say that Junpei and Naoto aren't two of the most complex main characters in video game history.

Valkyria Chronicles. Far from the most original story ever, it is quite well-told and the characters are likeable. The dramatic curve also comes out very well.

Beyond Good and Evil. The first game to make me cry, again the core story is deceptively simple, but through excellent use of cinematic techniques the true impact is much stronger than you would think. Also who cannot love a game where one of the main characters is a talking pig who works as a mechanic?

Bad Stories: Metal Gear Solid 4. While the core story is, of course, monumentally silly, that is not what i dislike. What i dislike is the amount of incredibly dull, pointless sub-plots added and the way Kojima wanted to do the same cinematic thing that Beyond Good and Evil had, without anything resembling the same success, resulting in long, static cutscenes of people talking about things that just aren't interesting.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Zombie

GOOD: XenoSaga/Gears series

BAD: LifeLine Voice Action Adventure
    You are a guy trapped in a space station control room telling this waitress (literally, with a microphone) how to stay alive and come save you, by watching everything on the security monitors.
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-08-29 at 11:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good: Killer 7. At first it is convoluted and confusing, but as it takes you through its world of twisted characters, backdoor politics, and spiritual conflict, you grow to enjoy it. Also it begins to make sense the second time you play it
    Bad: Metal Gear Solid 2. It started off strong with the tanker chapter, sp you get excited about the Plant Chapter. Then you get the unlikeable duo of Raiden and Rose, who care more about their personal lives more than the fact that there are Terrorists who have taken hostages and might kill them. The conspiracies get really annoying, and all the reveals at the end get rediculos.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Bad: nothing. I don't play games with bad plots if I can help it.

That out of the way:

Good:

Super Robot Wars (any title) - the creators take several giant robot shows, mash their storylines together and the end result is not only internally consistent, but awesome. Fans consider SRW titles as doing the included series' plots at least as good as the series themselves, and sometimes even better than the actual series. Gundam SEED Destiny, looking at you.

ICO, Shadow of the Colossus - the storyline is almost 100% showed, not told. And due to minimalistic approach, you have to figure most stuff out by your own rather than receiving answers in the game. But the world, design, and everything that happens is artistically BEAUTIFUL.

Okami - a course of Japanese mythology that's easy to approach by everyone, fun, quirky, amusing at times and moving in a powerful way at others.

Disgaea series - simply hilarious, but also touching emotionally when you least expect it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good: Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. This game does game stories right; it gives you some background history on what exactly is going on, and the story is played out via the game events and your interaction with the environment at large.

Bad: Tales of Legendia. Even worse for being attached to a series that's typically pretty sweet about this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    BAD: LifeLine Voice Action Adventure
    You are a guy trapped in a space station control room telling this waitress (literally, with a microphone) how to stay alive and come save you, by watching everything on the security monitors.
    That sounds pretty cool, actually. What was so wrong with it?
    Last edited by Vmag; 2009-08-29 at 01:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Good: I thought Destroy All Humans: Path Of The Furon had a pretty good storyline, as you may already know from another thread I just made. It took the boring-ish forumla of the past games and scrambled it in a way I loved and would have never predicted.

I also thought Phychonauts was a very good story. Very original and it fit together smoothly and pretty much seemlessly.

Bad: Ty the Tazmainian Tiger 3: Night of the Quinkan. It thows a happy cartoon animal into the apocalyptic future filled with an alien-demon-race thing destroying his land, and what does he do? Go on friendly go-kart races. Okay, maybe that only played a small part of it, but I still thought those were rather ham-fisted. Also, the opening of the game is laughably stupid and all the other characters...don't do anything. This game is pretty similar to the first two games I mentioned, but it doesn't pull it off in my opinion, you know?
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-08-29 at 01:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    I find it amusing that one person posts Mass Effect as a good story and the next posts it as a bad story.

Of course, the negative opinion used the word "grindfest" to describe a story game, so perhaps they just skipped all the dialogue.

And yes, Bioshock had a pretty bomb story.
    The story that was there was okay, if cliche. The reason I don't like it is that, aside from the very beginning and the very end, everything you do has nothing to do with the story, rather being: "Go to this planet and kill everything because they're bad."

And I will agree that Bioshock had a pretty good story, as they go. I can't say I cared for the game itself, but the story got me to finish the game, and that's about everything I want out of a good game story.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Vmag View Post
    Good: Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. This game does game stories right; it gives you some background history on what exactly is going on, and the story is played out via the game events and your interaction with the environment at large.

Bad: Tales of Legendia. Even worse for being attached to a series that's typically pretty sweet about this sort of thing.

"Having to say "shoot leg" to have her fight back, or "dodge right" to get out of the way, and then fight with the voice recognition to get it to understand what your saying. Figuring out how to identify an item on a table for her to pick up, like theres a floppy disc under some papers next to a cd, if you say "check disk" she grabs the CD. Or an I tem you know 1 name for and its identified as something else, I spent hours yelling at a screen trying to get her to check a dresser, when it was identified as a bureau.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    "Having to say "shoot leg" to have her fight back, or "dodge right" to get out of the way, and then fight with the voice recognition to get it to understand what your saying. Figuring out how to identify an item on a table for her to pick up, like theres a floppy disc under some papers next to a cd, if you say "check disk" she grabs the CD. Or an I tem you know 1 name for and its identified as something else, I spent hours yelling at a screen trying to get her to check a dresser, when it was identified as a bureau.
    Sounds like a gameplay issue, not a story one.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vmag View Post
    10 hours of gameplay, 8 of them actually trying to get the voice-recog to work. Dragon Naturally Speaking, wasn't.

Don't believe me about the bad game and story then here!

http://g4tv.com/videos/10862/LifeLin...enture-Review/

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Sounds like a gameplay issue, not a story one.
    No really, the good part of the game were the bad controls and telling the girl to change clothes AFTER beating it one and with a saved game. She dresses into a Daisy Duke outfit.

The story was really nothing but telling this waitress what to do, and like a women she just wouldn't listen to anything you would say to her. (I kid, I KID!)

There is so little story that you forget it between the opening sequence and the ending sequence because you are too busy trying not to purposefully strangle yourself with the headset, and they neglect to include it in the game at all. You just have the intro and ending for story. It is a big advertisement for what Dragon Naturally Speaking can do for gameplay. We see how far voice-recognition game controls went form there don't we?

If you can find a story in this more that a cover blurb about a Final Fantasy game....then I will play Lifeline again!
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-08-29 at 02:15 PM.