New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    I'd rather be among the 50 (or 100, or how many you have) annonymous thinkers, thank you very much. Being totally unrecognisable in-game and hired/fired en masse like slaves or cattle beats having to face death is the sacrifice I am willing to make to ensure others have more fun on the battlefield.
    Good to see.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll want five pages on the Enforcer project on the desk by tomorrow. Chumbley has some experience with robotics from the cyberdisk thing, might be a good place to start.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

And what, let me out of the storeroom? Right.

On that note, who said I was unattractive? I'll take the beatings and ridicule... but ugly? Too far, too far.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    We could also transfer him to Public Relations and actually send him there as a target. This way, no description would be necessary.

Of course, it's hard to tell if he'd scare the kids away or if they'd just laugh at him.

Although, that could actually be used to sort out prospective recruits.
    Which ones would we recruit? The brave ones or the tactically astute timely retreaters?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Which ones would we recruit? The brave ones or the tactically astute timely retreaters?
    Both, of course.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

5. - Top - End - #305

Of course, there aren't any aliens in X-COM either. Well, apart from Chumbley.

And he will be gone soon. Oh, yes.
    Hey!

<stuns Eldan again>

He gets coffee for the boss. That's one less thing we have to let Copper out of the storeroom for.

Besides, he gave me some good info on how best to thwack that psi-dude we captured.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

X-com land attractions:

The "beat Copper with a shock rod" booth. With a real, 100% effective stun rod. 1 quarter, 1 swing. We give you your money back if you make him scream.

Everybody knows that when you have a problem, you have a problem. But when you have multiple problems -- lots of people with ready money and a desire to hit something, a beat-worthy X-com employee -- they can be made to solve each other.

Don't forget we need employees -- excuse me, 'cast members' -- to dress up in alien costumes to pose with the kiddies for the camera.

I volunteer to wear the Chrysalid suit.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-07-07 at 06:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    X-com land attractions:

The "beat Copper with a shock rod" booth. With a real, 100% effective stun rod. 1 quarter, 1 swing. We give you your money back if you make him scream.

Everybody knows that when you have a problem, you have a problem. But when you have multiple problems -- lots of people with ready money and a desire to hit something, a beat-worthy X-com employee -- they can be made to solve each other.

Don't forget we need employees -- excuse me, 'cast members' -- to dress up in alien costumes to pose with the kiddies for the camera.

I volunteer to wear the Chrysalid suit.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Chrysalid?
    We haven't run into anything by that description, and when I asked Chumbley about them, he just started whimpering softly for about an hour.

So, what I'm saying is you'll need to design the suit yourself.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 06:54 PM.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    On that note, who said I was unattractive? I'll take the beatings and ridicule... but ugly? Too far, too far.
    Well, excuse me for always turning away because of my sheer repulsion before being able to get a good look at you. So you're not ugly, I guess.
    But, given your unique status, you will be before this is over.

Well, the latter would fit right in, I suppose.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that I said I wanted to be recruited on an earlier page, how many other people in the world are there with death wishes?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll throw myself into the fray. I'm an accomplished Colonel in Gral's X-Com already, with incredible scouting power and awful psionic strength. Maybe I'll be luckier this time.

edit: Ah, it was because the game confused my stats with those of a tank, and I ended up with 25HP more than you're allowed. I think I qualify as awesome now.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2009-07-07 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I said I wanted to be recruited on an earlier page, how many other people in the world are there with death wishes?
    You're going into the American X-Com base. Just takes a while for the updates to catch up to the requests.

Also, if everyone wanted I could go a tad faster for the next couple of days. Is one mission a day a good rate or do we want to go faster?
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 10:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    You're going into the American X-Com base. Just takes a while for the updates to catch up to the requests.

Also, if everyone wanted I could go a tad faster for the next couple of days. Is one mission a day a good rate or do we want to go faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid on a merry-go-round
    Faster, FASTER FASTER!
    See also; the text two spaces above this.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'll throw myself into the fray. I'm an accomplished Colonel in Gral's X-Com already, with incredible scouting power and awful psionic strength. Maybe I'll be luckier this time.
    Truly a great scout, if you look at his Credentials, it Appears the game thinks he is a tank, as It is impossible to have Health over 60.

I suppose I will also Sign up for Red Shirt Duty.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Banned

Good to see.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll want five pages on the Enforcer project on the desk by tomorrow. Chumbley has some experience with robotics from the cyberdisk thing, might be a good place to start.
    Our work continues swiftly! Soon, we will have something like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aliens are screwed.

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Our work continues swiftly! Soon, we will have something like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aliens are screwed.

Sir, I'm willing to sacrifice Aldren and Copper if that's what it takes to speed up Lab Tech Cubey's research!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Chrysalid?
    We haven't run into anything by that description, and when I asked Chumbley about them, he just started whimpering softly for about an hour.

I can think of only one reason why Mr. Brian 'I'm human, honest, the compound eyes are just a rare birth defect' Pendell would know about alien species we've never even heard about.

He's really really clever, and should be reassigned to the science team!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dead, they sell for 20K, which is nice.
    The Japanese will eat ANYthing if you put it in a nice bed of rice.

Ditto for the Scots if you deep fry it long enough.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Ditto for the Scots if you deep fry it long enough.
    The problem being that the Scots simply won't eat it if it isn't.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Chrysalid?

No prob. I kinda had this dream of a big, black monster that zombifies everyone it touches. Yet for some reason, kids love it. My wife knows what a needle and thread are for ... I'll see what we can do.

I can think of only one reason why Mr. Brian 'I'm human, honest, the compound eyes are just a rare birth defect' Pendell would know about alien species we've never even heard about.
    More likely it was all the funny business with time shifting back when the Euro base got hit. I have these strange memories ...

... or maybe it's whatever chow they're serving in the mess room these days. I swear I saw Copper in the food preparation area, and that would explain a LOT.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-07-08 at 06:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    Sir, always happy to do what I can to ensure team discipline and morale!

<goes to beat some spine into Fiddler>
    ...not a redshirt.... not a redshirt... not a

*Alex bursts into the room*

DIE ALIEN SCUM *shoots Alex* Um... crap....
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

I find boddy count suprisingly low, what dificoulty are you playing on?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Default Summing up: The Sectoids hate us, the Floaters hate everyone else, and I hate Copper.

Well, as March rolled in and the screamings of the Sectoid leader from the construction of the psi lab were a constant sound in the base. Made me sleep better, but the men couldn't wait until the soundproof booth was done. The klaxons of the alarm system were hardly audible over the din, but the Interceptor pilots were in the cockpit in seconds. The conveniently soundproof cockpits.

The ace pilots of X-COM are up to the job, of course. The enemy craft gets the explodo.

The Science teams manage to do well despite the screaming. Cubey summed the whole bit up. "It's like that monkey poop coffee. It keeps you awake, you don't like it at first, and you really don't want to know where it comes from, so you desperately think about anything else.

Medkits were the result of the first burst of inspiration. They came too late for Fri and Atranis, but they should stop bleeding out from being an issue for anyone else. We have plans for dealing with Headless Ninja based friendly fire as well.

Motion sensors also were invented. When asked why, Cubey spoke for the whole team when he said "They had them in Aliens, and that movie rules"
    "But, in Aliens, the ranking officers, and almost everyone else, died horribly"
    "Oh. Right."

Armor research was frontlined after that, and the results looked promising. We had plenty of alien alloys, and saving a trooper or two was worth some money.

Not a ton, mind you, but if it was less than 40k, it was a savings.
    Unfortunately, before the new gear could go into production, Russia was attacked!

The mood was tense. We had lives on the line. Innocent people could die if we failed. Then, in a moment of bravery that would live forever in X-COM history, Trazoi spoke up.

"Sir, am I missing something? It's just Russians."
    "Oh. Right. Ninja, not too many HE rounds on full auto."

Ninja grabbed all the ammo and flares he could carry. A night mission was a new and unpleasant experience, and we did not want to go unprepared.

As we disembarked, Lopez spotted, and I wasted, another Floater. It seems Floaters and people really don't get along. Maybe the Reapers pooped on a councilman's lawn or something.

The mission continued more or less routinely. We secured the north half of the map, saved a couple of Russians...

Then we went south. It seemed the Floaters took the "terror" part of the missions seriously. If those weren't dirty Reds...

"Sir, the Russians abandoned the glorious struggle back in the 90s"
    "Thank you, BRC. Really relevant"
    Well, if they were, say, American, or British, I might be pretty disgusted.

Even Russians deserve a little vengeance, though, and we made sure every single Floater paid.

We headed back to the Skyranger, tired but reasonably satisfied. We'd dropped every one of the monsters, and there were 9 less Russians threatening democracy without X-COM lifting a finger. Then we checked the cargo hold. Ninja was the first to spot it.

"Um, weren't all of those big dog things supposed to be dead?"
    Eldan's response was standard
    "Yes. X-COM has no aliens to worry about being alive on the Skyranger, and humanity has no traitor based worries HA HA!"
    "...Right. Well, I'd doubt the claim, even if Knight doesn't, on a standard mission, but this time I had something not in an X-COM uniform in mind. See that movement in the back? Seems we got a stowaway."
    Knight was as true to form as Eldan had been.
    "Right. Want me to hit something? Because I have this Stunstick right here. Captain? What you want me to hit? Because if Sgt. Ninja is irritating you..."

I always appreciate blind enthusiasm.
    "No, hit the thing in the cargo bay. At least now. We'll consider the Ninja part at a later date."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by That_other_guy View Post
    I find boddy count suprisingly low, what dificoulty are you playing on?
    I also thought that, but I restrain myself from saying that out loud, because, you know, I'm a ghost.

It might give them wrong ideas and then they'll start bringing exorcists into the base. It can only goes downhill from there.

And ah, finally we got a medkit. As it is (or more specifically, the lack of it is) the indirect cause of my death, I'm torn whether I should do more or less creepy apparition to celebrate (or mourn) this event. Anyone know what usually ghosts do in these kinds of event?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

I am glad to see that even in death, I am still contributing to the war effort!

...well, I'd be glad to see it if not for the whole being dead thing, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I also thought that, but I restrain myself from saying that out loud, because, you know, I'm a ghost.

It might give them wrong ideas and then they'll start bringing exorcists into the base. It can only goes downhill from there.

And ah, finally we got a medkit. As it is (or more specifically, the lack of it is) the indirect cause of my death, I'm torn whether I should do more or less creepy apparition to celebrate (or mourn) this event. Anyone know what usually ghosts do in these kinds of event?
    Well, without X-COM Util, every game of X-COM is on very easy, and if I grabbed Util there'd be other changes. Combine that with occasional (I can quit any time I want, I swear!) bouts of reloading (not every mission, and less often then I used to, but still on occasion) and you have the surprisingly low bodycount explanation.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I suggest an alternative approach: haunt the first Medi-Kit we ever produce. Manifest by shooting syringes at people. Or, because Medi-Kits' healing functions don't have any needles (wusses! I didn't work on that project, by the way), overuse stimulants on everyone and watch them run around like kids on sugar.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Fri the Talking Med-Kit?

Sounds awesome!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #328
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Fri the Talking Med-Kit?

Sounds awesome!
    All of a sudden I really want to be the medic on a Skyranger carrying around the possessed Med-Kit...

I was going to settle for Test Subject A for the live-fire testing of our new line of armor, but this sounds so much better.

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    ...not a redshirt.... not a redshirt... not a

*Alex bursts into the room*

DIE ALIEN SCUM *shoots Alex* Um... crap....
    Next time, load yer weapon, recruit. This could have been another attack by the alien scumbags on our valiant forces.

Second....

<Stuns Fiddler>

Man up. We're all valued members of X-Com here, just below Lopez.

Well, except for Copper, of course. And Aldren....

30. - Top - End - #330

Default Re: Summing up: The Sectoids hate us, the Floaters hate everyone else, and I hate Cop

Knight was as true to form as Eldan had been.
    "Right. Want me to hit something? Because I have this Stunstick right here. Captain? What you want me to hit? Because if Sgt. Ninja is irritating you..."

I always appreciate blind enthusiasm.
    "No, hit the thing in the cargo bay. At least now. We'll consider the Ninja part at a later date."

Sir, yes sir!

C'mere you......

<sounds of stunstick thwacking>

Oh, think you're a tough guy, eh?

<sounds of even more thwacking>