New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,468 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Banned

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

As for me, I'll look 30 even in 40 years from now on. Aging is for people of lesser genius.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Aging is for people of lesser genius.
    I'm contractually obligated not to age. Damn X-COM..

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    As for me, I'll look 30 even in 40 years from now on. Aging is for people of lesser genius.
    Hear hear!
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

4. - Top - End - #1444

Oh bother, only one more page.

Here's hoping I can not be killed by a random mugger who wants to steal my identity when I go back to the normal society.

I think that even though I rarely touched the science department here, I've gleamed alot of knowledge... I wonder if I can get into science... that should be safe, right?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Halfling in the Playground

Aging is for people who take the 'time off' prank seriously.

And Cubey if you ever need some exotic prototype materials, the storage room at fort Fry was never that well organized, things went 'missing' from time to time.

Last edited by Swot; 2009-08-01 at 12:22 PM.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Right.

As we're done, I might as well admit all of the shameless cribbing, loose inspiration, and ignoble motives.

First thing's first. Thanks to Red Vs. Blue for names for the tank and general leadership attitude. And Bungie? Sorry for shamelessly stealing from Marathon. It happens.

If you need more X-COM LPing goodness, (although I can't provide an accurate comparison of value, being the least objective person around for this kind of thing) there's completed LPs at the Let's Play archive and the escapist forums, and half done let's plays at the penny arcade forums and stardestroyer.net.

(Yes. I read a lot of let's plays while doing this and not long before.)

Also, I started because an "X-Com is nifty" thread seemed likely to not make ten pages, so I started a LP.

Sadly for me, I have a commitment problem. I commit to things I start.

So yeah, thanks to all involved.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Barbarian in the Playground

Farewell chiasaur. You are forever a god among playgrounders.

(because we won't run into you in countless other threads)
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks.

While I'm doing this, some ideas that never got finished:

Civilian prospective on a terror raid (Cancelled for start of murder mystery plotline)
    Newspaper report (Another idea on that scrapped list)
    Psychic training as a mental warscape occurring at the same time as regular life. Horrific-y. (Just couldn't make it work.)
    Memorial service for a laser HWP while completely ignoring soldiers who died during mission (Loses comedic edge when the most beloved character is the HWP)
    Propaganda recruitment stuff (No good time for it)

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Psychic training as a mental warscape occurring at the same time as regular life. Horrific-y. (Just couldn't make it work.)
    Psychonauts?!

10. - Top - End - #1450

As for the propaganda, there's always time for a retrospective. Or more fanart/work.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Uh...no idea. They may not even be in an accessible folder in BG1, come to think of it. I don't really know, since I don't have it installed - or rather, only as part of the trilogy mod.

Anyway, I'd just download a mod and edit one of the portraits that come with it. Like this one. Save it in the same format and everything should work.
    Sorry to bother you again, but is there a mod which would do the job without replacing the old portraits?

Just want to keep to the old formats and such.

(Also, I'll try to make a recruitment advertisement at some point as a last hurrah.)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-08-02 at 02:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Troll in the Playground

A quick search gave me this.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work and you already have a portrait in mind, upload whatever you want to use for it and I'll see what I can do. May need some aimless fiddling treatment, and that might require Photoshop or a similar program.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Got the picture in question

Spoilering it, just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Troll in the Playground

Right...I should probably go and install BG now.

I hope it's not too urgent.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

So, those worked for me. (Uploaded as .rar so no hosting site can do some funny bs to the images.)

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

So, those worked for me. (Uploaded as .rar so no hosting site can do some funny bs to the images.)
    So I just get win.rar, unzip these into a portraits folder inside Baldur's gate, and that should work?

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

Uh...sorry, forgot to explain. The images must be in a folder named Portraits in the general BG directory. (Misread your post. So, yeah, what you already wrote.)

EDIT: Also, 7zip.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-08-02 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Critical reading failure.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Uh...sorry, forgot to explain. The images must be in a folder named Portraits in the general BG directory. (Misread your post. So, yeah, what you already wrote.)

EDIT: Also, 7zip.
    Well, thanks for trying.

Just got a 1569 error when I tried to save. And when I try to load (just to test)?

1395 error.

So...

yeah. Probably a disk error. Which means I'm out of luck.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-08-02 at 05:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Can't be the image when the problem occurs when you try to save.

So I'd also say it has to be something about your disk.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Expletive.

Just... Expletive Expletive.

Well... since the disk goes into a frenzy whenever a portraits folder is made...

Any ideas on what to do?

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Not really.

I'd check the CD. Maybe it's just badly scratched and one of the files is always missing/corrupt as a result. In that case, well, you know...get a new copy.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-08-02 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Edited? What? Never. I'd never recommend...stuff.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Default Fame, Money, [s]the mercy of a swift death![/s]

For the preservation of human knowledge, and the illumination of future generations, a pair of X-Com recruitment pamphlets, before and after the conclusion of the Cydonian conflict, and the subsequent renovation of the X-Com charter and change in command.

Images and some text will be censored for security purposes until censored

Mid war recruitment documentation:

Sick of your dead end job?

Tired of people pushing you around?

Enjoy meeting new and interesting people, and then inadvertantly causing their deaths?

Then join X-COM! We're always hiring recruits, whether human, censored, or censored.

Be the first to test new technologies, see exotic locals, and give Johnny Ethereal a boot up his snooty alien posterior! (Note. If you choose not to join X-Com, your newfound knowledge of Ethereals can be used as legal grounds to have you executed).

And if you die, rest assured that your death will be horrible and painful, but fortunately in all cases but censored, censored, or simply bleeding out, it will at least be quick. And we'll try to avenge your death, if it doesn't take too much effort.

And if you have a severe allergy to the taste of your own blood, good news! You only need to be willing to work 30 hours a day (note to modern readers. Not a typo. Further information on the subject is still classified.) and be able to reenact any first season episode of Macguyver to join our engineering department. And if research is your field, well, any recipient of the prestigious Richards scholarship at State U with a loose approach to morals is more than welcome in our science department, headed by noted mad scientist censored.

Join X-Com today! Or be considered a traitor. Either one helps our funding.

Chiasaur11, Commander and founder of X-Com, formerly of MJ-12.

A modern example, for contrast. Note the higher quality paper stock.

You have been contacted because you've proven yourself, whether through years of service or exemplary scoring on the covert censored testing. You know who we are. We know you can be trusted. If you are willing, report to censored by censored. We await your response with interest.

censored
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-01-08 at 04:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Halfling in the Playground

I see the second propaganda follows college ads mind games.
    Whoever wrote it is one of those smart people.
    Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for reviving this thing, but there were a couple of things to note of almost no significance that I found since the thread started:

1) X-Com does, in fact, have nukes in the form of Avalanche missiles.

Yes. The only human weapon that does any good against alien ships is a tactical thermonuclear device. The Plasma beam can thus be assumed to be unbelievably powerful.

2) This also applies to base missile defenses. Fusion defenses are officially filed under "There is no overkill. Only open fire and I need to reload."

3) Making a Lego Skyranger is an amusing way to waste an afternoon. If I ever take pictures, I'll edit this post to link them.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Firbolg in the Playground

and why do you need to edit? New post! For great justice!

Anyway, do anyone know in which page brc posted his x com avatars?
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-08-30 at 06:05 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Anyway, do anyone know in which page brc posted his x com avatars?
    A bunch of different ones.

27. - Top - End - #1467

Well, before the thread actually gets locked, I'd like to thank whoever added this LP to the TV Tropes page for LPs.

My hat would be off to you, sir or madam, if I were not poor and such.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Well, before the thread actually gets locked, I'd like to thank whoever added this LP to the TV Tropes page for LPs.

My hat would be off to you, sir or madam, if I were not poor and such.
    It was me.

Shameless self promotion, sorry to say, rather than higher motives.