Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 340

Thread: Good OOTSiverse

  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    "Onwards, then..."

    Once the others started walking, Radel followed. He wasn't overly keen to lead them - if nothing else he wasn't assured of their character, and wasn't used to anyone stood behind him. He glanced skyward, noting the familiar shape of Fionn circling high above. Nodding to himself, he set his eyes back upon the city.

    They weren't far away now - he could see the guards at the gate, watching them with a bored air.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    As you approach the gate, a young, sandy-haired guard stands up and addresses you:
    "Hail, stout yeomen! What is your business in Cliffport?"
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 04:55 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel lowered his hood - there was little to be gained by engendering suspicion in the guards, after all, and nodded a polite greeting.

    "Radel - a woodsman, come to trade for basic goods. Sundries, repairs and such."

    He stood aside, waiting for the others to introduce themselves similarly, not wanting to press on through the gates and risk losing them in the busy city. He didn't have too much invested in their company, not yet, but they were an interesting diversion. And it would be a shame to lose the guide.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 05:04 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense


    "Keothi Longwalker, here looking for work. Any ideas about where I could find a someone looking to hire the best swordsman in the land?" Keothi grins down at the guard, doing his best to be friendly and outgoing.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Diplomacy (1d20+1)[9]

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tackyhillbillu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Taki cough slightly beside Keothi.

    I might have to disabuse him of that notion...

    "Same as my big friend here, except I don't use a Sword at the moment."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    "Enter then, good sirs." He looks curtly at Keothi. "Your business is your own, but I wish you the best of luck in your search."

    The guard calls out an order to open the gate, and the great iron-bound doors swing slowly open.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 05:18 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel nodded in gratitude as the gates swung open, though he'd had no real doubt that they would. Woodsmen were not uncommon in the area, and though he wasn't exactly a typical example, he looked close enough to pass for one. And a city could hardly survive if it shut itself off from all trade.

    Once they were through the gate, Radel turned back to address the group. His eyes shifted around the street rather than settling on the people he was talking to, something which would probably be looked poorly upon by a skilled diplomat or socialite. But this urban environment was one he had little experience with, and it left him uncomfortable.

    "I don't imagine my minor errands will be of any interest to you, but I'll admit I'm somewhat intrigued as to what manner of opportunities for fame and glory you'll come across, if you're truly looking. And I do tend to like to lighten up my visits to the city with the local gossip. What say we meet at that tavern over there?"
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 05:23 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    The streets swarm with throngs of people, clothed in garb from many lands; stalls line Cliffport's busy streets, proprietors haggling over all sorts of exotic wares in a plethora of languages even more so. The bright sun beats scorchingly down upon the city despite the refreshing, salty breeze that blows in from the harbour. Airships make their way across the vibrant blue sky, headed for Azure City, Greysky, and even the North uncounted leagues away.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 05:28 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Eiso shrugged. "I wouldn't mind showing people where to find things, I mean, there's not too much I need to attend to. Well, I'd probably best check my house hasn't been broken into or anything, I mean, it's dead easy to do around here, although at least its still worth locking up. Not like Greysky, the more secure you think you are in that city the more tempting a target you become. Wouldn't catch me back there..." Eiso looks around at the faces of the others.
    "Eh, rambling again. Sorry. Happens sometimes. So... anyone need directions?"
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense


    Keothi glances over at the tavern, then nods. "It looks to be clean enough, and I imagine I'll need a room and meal before this is done. If I find any work, I'll let you know; it likely will require more then one person." So saying, Keothi turns to Eiso. "Where is a good place to find employment?"
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-03 at 05:32 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel eyed the street once more, before turning to examine Eiso. There seemed an unexpected symmetry to the two of them, in a strange sense. He had become instantly uneasy and on edge once he entered the city, but Eiso seemed right at home. Well... that would seem the best approach, then. Stick near him, and benefit from his expertise with the area. It's what he'd have recommended Eiso do, if they'd met in the woodlands.

    He smiled suddenly, attempting to adopt a friendly air, and nodded to Eiso.

    "I wouldn't object to a guide. I've only been to the city a few times, and it will save hapless wandering."

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that knowing where major buildings are in his home town counts as a Knowledge (Local) check with a DC so low it'd be like rolling a Jump check to play hopscotch


    "Well, uh, the kind of work you're looking for is, well, found in a tavern I guess. People sometimes post notes on the front door of that place asking for help with problems, goblins and troglodytes and things like that. For those of us who are prepared to get our hands a bit bloody in the service of a greater cause, or somesuch. Um, there is a sizeable police department, pretty incompetent, and not given to employing freelancers, heck I should know. Apparantly 'vigilante justice, whilst laudable in intent, is not conducive to the well-being and safety of Cliffport's inhabitants.' Well neither is turning a blind eye to the tendrils of the Greysky slaving rings because they fill your pockets with platinum... uh, where was I? Oh yes, taverns, and probably also the airship port. You'll sometimes get captains looking for officers, by which I mean actually competent guards. Those may be good bets, or maybe fate has something else in store for us, maybe."

    Eiso turned again to face the Radel, his eyes stopping at a number of people's faces in the background, trying to discern hostile intent and finding only mild boredom. He saw the ranger appraising him, and tried his best to look as comfortable in 'his' environment as the ranger did in the woodlands. The fact that nobody present seemed to mind his abnormal features gave him a little confidence, however, although next to the Goliath he hardly stood out.

    "I know a pretty good fletcher's, but I can only go to the expensive cobbler's, only place they can make shoes that fit my feet. You might be interested in the more standard place, although I can't for the life of me remember where it is."
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    After a few hours of touring the city, you find yourselves back in the tavern. The ceiling is low, and a fire burns low in a fireplace on the wall, casting a flickering shadow across the place. People huddle around scratched, musty wooden tables with tankards; the food you've ordered comes on dented tin plates, and the fare is universally unappealing. That's what you get for ordering the cheapest food, you think wryly as you stare down at your distasteful array of culinary monstrosoties; Cliffport is a city where you get what you pay for.

    Trying to seek escape from the disgusting stuff, the stifling heat, the dank, crowded atmosphere, your ears drift around aimlessly.

    And then you hear it from behind you. two men speak to each other, one old, long-bearded and white-haired, thin and dressed in a long robe. The other is in midsentence, large and hulking and clothed in black leather.

    "-enormous power, they say; it was created by Rat himself."
    "So you really mean to seek out the Meduseld?"
    "Yes, I leave tomorrow for the mountains."
    "You know where it is?"
    "Not exactly...but it's somewhere in the mountains between Blueriver Fort and Greysky."
    "An artefact of such evil power is sure to be well guarded."
    "Ha, no matter, soon I will have the power to rule this place."
    The dark man turns and sees your party watching.
    "What're you looking at?!" he snarls, and slamming his ale on the table heads upstairs. The old one follows him, quickly and without a word.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 06:15 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel turned over a suspicious lump of what could possibly be meat with a dented fork, and murmured to himself. Glancing up to be sure that the innkeeper was not watching, his hand went to the pack slung beneath his coat, and came back with some salt-cured venison he had prepared himself for trail supplies. It was tough, but it was nourishing, and he could at least identify the animal from which it had come.

    His new boots were comfortable enough, and his quiver was well filled. His guide's rather leading comment about his expensively made boots had naturally piqued his curiosity, and he had been watching the man closely whenever he felt he could do so without being noticed, trying to discern just what manner of creature he was. For the moment, he chewed idly while mulling over what he had already seen.

    But when the strains of conversation drifted over from the next table, his jaws fell still that he might better hear. He never intentionally eavesdropped, at least not without cause, but when someone was so careless as this it was hard not to listen. He glanced at his companions after the two men had left, concern apparent on his face, but said nothing.

    The power to rule? Interesting, and seldom good. It was hard to imagine any kind ruler plotting his rise in a dive of a tavern. This merited investigation.

    He straightened from his chair, quietly placing a few coins on the table to cover what he had pretended to eat. He nodded to his companions, drew his hood over his head, and slipped away.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 06:24 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense


    Keothi eats the meal, seeming not to care what it is, merely that it is food, and therefore enjoyable. However, when the two men behind him began to speak, even he paused. "That sounds like just the sort of job I am looking for...f" He thinks to himself, then starts as the man slams his ale down. After he has disappeared up the stairs, he turns to the others. "You all heard that?"

    He frowns for a moment as Radel slipped away, the realized he must be off to find out more on the men.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-03 at 06:43 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Spoiler
    Show
    That wasn't Eiso. Don't worry, I'm painting a new avatar as I type. Well, obviously not at exactly the same time, clearly. Oh heck I've started talking like my character now.


    "Hey... isn't sneaking around the city my specialty?" Eiso thought to himself. He finished his food, which he had found delicious, whilst wondering why his companions didn't all seem to enjoy as much the boiled offal he had so heartily reccomended. Dropping a silver for the food and a gold for the tip, he slides outside.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Where's the best view of the upstairs windows?
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Probably from the stables in back of the inn; the street out in front is too crowded.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel

    At the base of the stairs, Radel hesitated. This wasn't his usual environment... what to do, what to do. Ordinarily he'd lay in wait in a bush, or scale a tree, but in this case that was hardly an option. He could attempt to creep down the corridor and listen at the door, but if he was exposed there was nowhere to hide, no believable excuse, and he'd be entirely at the mercy of squeaking floorboards.

    No, it was best to stick to what he knew.

    He stepped out of the back of the tavern, one gloved hand slipping into his cloak and emerging with another scrap of salt venison. He held the scrap aloft with a patient air, and it wasn't long at all before it was snatched from his hand by Fionn. The hawk had been circling around the city, preying on fat city pigeons, but always keeping a watchful eye out for its master.

    Radel fondly stroked the bird's neck-feathers with a single finger, before glancing up at the lit windows of the inn. Meeting the hawk's eye, he grew very still for a moment, before speaking in soft susurrations, giving whispered commands to his companion. He thrust his hand upwards, and the bird launched itself upwards, towards the eaves.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Speak With Animals
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 06:54 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense


    Keothi remains at the table downstairs, not really one for spying and sneaking. He looks around, then follows Eosi out, figuring he would know where to get a map or more information about the mountains.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    "Radel, do you want me on the inside now, seeing as you appear to have the windows covered?"
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel spun round quickly with his scimitars drawn, as he had not noticed Eiso stood there. He swore under his breath, glancing upwards at the window to make sure they hadn't been heard. He sheathed the scimitars as quietly as he could, and nodded slowly.

    "Whatever you can do best, Eiso. You know your capabilities better than I, I'm sure..."

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Fionn hovers around the windows, and then she sees her target. Yes, this is the one her friend seeks, the dark man and the thin one; they are sitting down, talking, angry. There is a light now, yes, a tiny fire atop a rod of wax; the dark man has lit it. The dark man is frightening, fearful, strange; They are angrier now, fiercer, raising their hands, yelling, pointing; now the dark man has picked up the candle. He is smothering out the fire; now the two men are dark silhouettes. And now-now the dark man is lifting the metal stick in which the rod of wax is placed, lifting it above his head; the old man is trying to run, but not fast enough, the metal stick comes down, once, twice, three times on the old man's head, the old man crumples, the dark man turns towards me. He is coming, he has seen me watching him, is running to the window. I fly away, circle above the frightful city before reurning to my friend, to safety.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 07:18 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Eiso re-entered the tavern, hastened up the stairs and looked at the array of doors. He tried to focus on listening for voices, whilst moving quietly across the hallway.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Listen check: (d20+2)[6]
    Move Silently check: (d20+11)[12]
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tackyhillbillu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Taki, meanwhile, is busy investigating the 'food' to see if there is any 'truth of the blade' in it. After all, something that offensive could not be food. It had transcended food, into the range of Weapon. When Keothi stood up, the smaller Swordsage followed him, still pocking through the bowl.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Nightmonkey, nice avatar. Though with plate armor there's no bottom half of the body.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfMonkGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Radel issued a loud curse, and darted back into the inn, tossing Fionn another scrap of venison and bidding her to take to the rooftops and towers of the city, where she'd have room to manoeuvre and be safe.

    He made a beeline for the stairs, charging through the main room of the inn. As he passed through the bustle and noise of the main room, he whistled sharply, to draw the attention of those who had remained at their table.

    "Guards, call the guards!", he snarled at the bartender as he ran past, rushing headlong up the stairs and drawing his scimitars as he did so.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense


    Keothi waits outside, within sight of Radel, but watching him rather then the building. If there is any trouble, Radel can call to him for aid.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    As you run up the stairs, the dark man comes running from the other direction, nearly crashing into you headlong.
    "Help!!!!!" he screams. "Fire!!!!!Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There's a fire in my room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Sure enough, great tendrils of flame come chasing behind him, torrents of fire issuing down the hallway.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elfin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    CPPD officers come rushing up in a matter of seconds, having been patrolling right outside the inn.

    ...
    Half a hour later.

    Shaking and gasping outside the ashes of the tavern, the dark man explains before the crowd of fire escapees. "The...the candle fell to the ground...scrolls and papers everywhere. The ground caught fire right away, but I was able to get out of the room. My friend was not so lucky; he was trapped. It was...terrible."

    "Horrible accident", agrees an officer. "Well, lets get this cleaned up."
    "Will I...will I be held responsible?"
    "Don't be ridiculous, it wasn't your fault. Settle down now, everything will work out."
    The dark man walks away. You may have imagined it, but as he goes off it looks like his face is bent in a thin, cold smile.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-03 at 07:32 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Night Monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South American jungle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the complement Elvenblade, although the armour is meant to be chain shirt. Will see if I can make that more apparant somehow.


    Edit: The irony, my ninja got ninja'd.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Night Monkey; 2009-07-03 at 07:33 PM.
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •