New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Good OOTSiverse

1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

Alrik Thrundling

"Mmmh... Chasing someone down, I guess? But if we don't find anything here anytime soon, I'm all for reading his personal notes. Ain't like its graverobbery, eh? If Alvor's dead, he'll hardly care." He flips through the book again, with a tense expression. Usually, he'd be all over this - so much new to read. But now? He wanted to know whatever was behind that crown and where exactly it was to be found. It seemed likely to him that Alvors killer already knew about those things - and wherever the crown would be found, the killer wouldn't be far. And who would ever find his dead body somewhere in the mountains?

2. - Top - End - #122

Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense

"Reading his personal notes is necessary. In fact, considering he is dead, I would think Alvor would want us to, so we can find his killer." Keothi says, carefully stacking the books and papers he has already read to one side as he continues to go through the papers from the desk.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel nodded to Alrik, in answer.

"Mhmm. Nhelid. Quick-footed, for all that he was an odious, cruel little runt. Cowardly, too."

He skimmed through the nearest pile of papers, hoping to come across something to jog his memory.

"All worked up about the Scream, didn't really watch where he was going."

He allowed himself a slight sneer, and rubbed his face wearily. He wasn't used to reading for this long, or in such a dusty place. But Keothi was right. They needed to do this, and the old scholar wouldn't have objected.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 11:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124

Alrik Thrundling

"Ah, so you got him in the end? But what Scream are you talking about?" His facial expression is a mixture between puzzlement and curiosity.

5. - Top - End - #125

Keothi listens to the tale Radel is relating, rather curious to hear about his new companions past.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Supposedly..."

Radel gave a wry smile, a mischievous light in his eye.

"Supposedly it's a spirit, in the woods near here. Wild thing, all blades, fury and noise. I've never spoken to anyone who's ever seen it, even among the few who've managed to escape it. They've heard it though, oh my yes. Screams and howls and gibbers. There's parts of the woods not far from here where bandits and poachers and the like wouldn't tread if their lives depended on it.

"That said, I've lived in those woods most of my life, and I've never been troubled. I've heard it, or at least something matching the description, but never on my trail. Not heard of anyone but bandits and scum going missing, neither."

He drew himself upright, strolling to another rack of books.

"Anyway... I'd chased Nhelid into one of the areas the thing is supposed to haunt. And he knew it! Hah. I started screaming and shouting, rushing at him through the bush... making as much noise as I could. Idiot ran right into a ravine."

He turned to face Alrik, and grinned.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 12:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Alrik Thrundling

"Haha! Well done I'll say. So that scoundrel, Nhelid, fell down - and that was that?" he says, again wondering if the mountains would be a good place to let Alvors murderer disapear.

"This Scream... a spirit or whatever it is, sounds quite interesting. Its a shame you didn't get any chance to study it." Now he'd usually feel like seeing how much of the rumors is true and travel there himself - but right now he had different prioritys.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Yes, well - the ravine wasn't huge, not deep enough that you couldn't survive it, with a bit of luck. But he hadn't seen it coming, and he landed badly. Broke his neck.

"And that was about that, yes... I'd imagine the carrion eaters got him, after I stripped him of anything I could use. He's probably been marked down as another victim of the Scream, frankly. I never reported it. Didn't feel the need to. The more of those scum fear to enter the woods, the better, as far as I'm concerned."

He exhaled slowly, finishing one pile of papers and scrolls, and glancing despondently at the other piles, as if deciding which one to tackle next.

9. - Top - End - #129

"Sounds like he got what he deserved, though. Have you ever considered that the Scream might be someone like you? After all, rumors start with small things." Keothi says, blowing dust of a tome and flipping it open.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel looked around at these words, a faintly surprised look on his face. He hesitated a brief moment, then smiled lightly. Chuckling, he put down the paper he had been skimming.

"I suppose it's a possibility. I can't say I've seen anything to prove it couldn't be a man. I'd be surprised, if only because the screaming and howling of the real thing didn't sound like anything as would come from a human throat. If Nhelid had ever heard the real thing, there's no way he'd have believed I was it."

He rubbed his chin in thought, glancing down at his boots.

"I'd have thought I'd have come across anyone else actually living in the forests... they'd have to be exceptionally skilled. But I suppose that doesn't rule it out."

11. - Top - End - #131

Alrik Thrundling

"I was thinking the same thing. But if you say it's something that sounds so strange... It might actually be some primal fury, perhaps released by druids. Mmmmh." With that he sticks his nose into the books again, slightly weary from the long search.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be away for ~4 hours

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn this thread's grown...

As Radel speaks, skimming the bookshelves, Alrik catches sight of something!
    Lying on the desk is a slim volume bound in black leather, a large, striped, white and brown quill holding open a page.

The dwarf recognises it as Alvor's journal!
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-04 at 02:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel

Unleashed by the druids, eh? A good theory. He'd have to remember it, spread it around the taverns. It served him well to have people swapping dread tales of the Scream.

He coughed deeply, before throwing down the papers he was working through. The dust was getting into his throat, and he was getting frustrated. He stood up sharply, and stretched his arms out wide.

"I'm sorry. I'm not built for libraries. I need some fresh air... I'll be outside if you need me."

He secured his hood and left the room with a quick pace, muttering under his breath about books and scrolls as he went.

He'd made it no further than the door-frame when the cry of surprise from the dwarf made him turn his head and rush back in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the slight fudge there, but Alrik's going to be inactive for a good few hours, and no-one else would recognise it!
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 03:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to leave you guys hanging, don't want to seem uncaring or passive, it was merely that I was busy.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    It happens, and I think we managed to fill the time fairly well. Did you get my PM?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel snatched the book off the table, wishing they'd moved the stack of notes and revealed it in the first place - how much time would have been saved, how much less dust would have been inhaled!

He pulled the covers open, starting at the back of the book and skipping forwards to find the most recent entry. Any reference to the crown, the meeting in the tavern, anything...

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

The book flips open to the marked page, and in thin, wavering, hastily scribbled handwriting you can make out.......

October 12th, 1159.
    The Meduseld has been located, south of Greysky. Kor seeks it, must stop them, I go to meet Viper. End this threat, convince him to abandon mission. Cliffport in danger. Must leave now.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-04 at 03:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Keothi reads over Radels shoulder, frowning. "Kor and Viper? Sounds like someone else is involved in this matter already. Ever heard the names?" He looks at the two locals questioningly.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel

"Hrmph. Either Viper is our man in black and Alvor was betrayed, or Kor is our man in black and he was intercepted. I lean towards the first, as he didn't seem to be there under duress."

He handed the book to Keothi, being done with it himself, and checked himself over. He had everything he needed... there'd be no reason not to go immediately.

"We need to go. We need to intercept Viper, Kor, whoever it was. There may well be others too, there's no reason to assume they're working alone. And the area itself isn't safe either, even artefacts aside. We can expect to meet hobgoblins. Does anyone have anything they critically need to do, before we depart?"

He glanced at each person present in turn, keen to take to the trail, and not even considering that any of them might not want to come.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 04:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

"I agree, though perhaps Eosi could ask about the town for more information about Kor and Viper? They might have bought supplies, gear, employed mercs, or the like... and we might learn which way they went." Keothi tucks the book into his bag, intent on reading it throughly when they have more time. He turns to Alrik, then. "You are coming along to avenge your friend?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good OOTSiversetyqh

Noone speaks up, and soon you're out of the city. Radel is overjoyed, happy to be back in his domain, of mighty trees in vast forests, unmeasured plains of long grass, tawny, the color of burnished gold, rolling hills that flow into the sunset, vast mountains tipped with peaks of ice shining like diamonds.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Back in the confines of Cliffport, Radel had tended to loiter at the back of the group when they moved from place to place - wary, and unsure of his surroundings. Out here, it was an entirely different story. Without saying a word, he stepped out to the head of the group, walking with a spring in his step. Fionn flew high overhead, and would be sure to warn them if she spotted anything amiss, anything heading towards them.

Radel turned his head, ears scanning the surrounding brush, and his eyes darted from tree, to sky, to ground, watching for tracks or marks upon the ground that might show marks of recent passage.

23. - Top - End - #143

Keothi stays behind the ranger, letting him lead the way... it is his environment, after all.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel

Of course, he had only a rough idea of the place where they were heading. He knew the area, certainly, but they could not just walk around hoping. They would have to find a trail... he'd examined the man in black at the tavern, for just such a situation. He'd gauged his height, his weight... trying to get a feel for the way he moved. It's said you can learn a lot about a man by his footprint, but the reverse is also true.

At the next split in the path, he gestured for the group to halt, and dropped to one knee, examining the soil and the undergrowth for signs of any disturbance, anything at all. Animal trails, yes, mostly wild creatures. Here a fox, there a small bird. A thrush, most likely. But he was looking for larger prey...

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking roll (survival): (d20+10)[22]

Assuming there are no modifiers either way, that should be enough to find tracks if they are there. Of course, that's making two large assumptions, so I'll wait to be told what happens!
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 05:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Searching through the foliage, you come upon a deep bootprint in the dirt- fresh, only a couple hours old by your guess. Judging by what you observed in the inn they fit the dark man perfectly- and sure enough, a trail of the footprints leads off northward through the forest.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-04 at 05:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel

He took what more information he could from the bootprint - weight distribution, stride, anything he could use further down the line. This was their man.

He didn't straighten up just yet though, but started brushing at the undergrowth. This ground was quite soft, and it would be useful to know if the man had been travelling alone...

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel didn't look up from the ground, his eyes still darting to and fro as he tried to find the tracks of any other people. But he spoke out loud, that the others might know what he had already found.

"I've got him. Right size, right weight, right length of stride... yes, it's him. And he's heading that way..."

One hand rose, pointing out the path, although his eyes still didn't leave the ground. When he had pointed out the direction, he changed the position of his arm again, leaving it a convenient perch. Fionn landed upon it within seconds, and began to preen herself.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

The party sprints down the man's trail, brushing aside thorns and bushes, bounding over rocks, stumbling through thick undergrowth.
    Everyone, make constitution checks to try to catch up with the murderer.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-07-04 at 06:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Unreliable sources... false friends... seems like my luck was against me today. Not that I should blame it on luck really, I suppose it was my fault, probably. Maybe I came on a little strong, overloading people with things about the burning building and a murder. I guess that could close people down, come to think of it..."

Eiso spoke to nobody in particular, nor did he appear to be addressing an item on his person. He had to concentrate on his running, trying to breathe the way Radel did, so his usual token attempts to obey the convention that spoken words should be directed at someone were left out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Con check. (d20+1)[16]
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Constitution check: (d20+7)[9]
    That's +3 from stat bonus, +4 from the Endurance feat.

Oh god, that's appalling. The ranger can't be the only one to get winded!

Ack, thats so appalling I'm struggling to find any IC justification for it, to write about.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-04 at 06:58 PM.