The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyrulian Races

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hyrulian Races

Thank you for checking this topic.
    I am big 2nd edition DND and other games RPG player. And this is mainly geared in that direction.

But a Tabletop Zelda... ported so easily to DND it seems. Granted, who wants to do the one-player, Hylian quest of Link. Why not a whole party of crazy peoples with differing abilities?

So, here are some of ym thoughts on the more popular races, and want to hear everyone elses two cents.

Goron
    Generally taller than a human by anywhere from 2 to 4 ft. Exist on a diet of volcanic and other carbon-heavy rock.
    Natural armor, a lot of it. Gorons are essentially living rock themselves.
    Movement, under normal circumstances, just 10 ft. This is not a serious disadvantage for all Gorons, since most can not only curl up in a ball for protection, but can than roll at very High speeds. This is also used as a serious Ram attack, obliterating most objects in their path.
    Gorons can not swim.
    Preferred weapons are large hammers and two handed blades.

Gerudo
    An all female race. Based on their class preference for rouges, I am guessing a dex bonus is in order... that's about all I can think of. Prefered weapons are anything that can be dual wielded, or has range, or reach.

Zora
    An amphibious race of creatures, preferring aquatic environments. On Land, they operate very much like any person. Only problem being a dependency on water. Deserts and volcanic environments can be harmful, or even deadly, to an unprepared Zora.
    In water, Zora can swim like dolphins.
    Their arm fins can be used like weapons if they are trained, and in most cases Zora do prefer unarmed combat. Martial Artist would probably be the best class for them.
    Anyone else care to share?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hyrulian Races

These are good ideas, but I think that you should elaborate on their racial benifits. For example, how powerful are the Goron ram attacks? How much damage do the Zora take while in a desert? Also, how does a fully female race survive without reproduction? Are they asexual?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

That is where I was hoping I could get some help. The Zelda game system is quite diffrent from any other table-top game.

Goron ram attack tends to kill every animal, though not cows. Minor monsters and low level creatures like moblins (taking the shape of every goblinoid) tend to be either damaged or wounded.
    Than there is the enhanced abaility Link learned in Goron form, where he could obliterate all in his path with the attack.

The Gerudo have a male born to them every 100 years. Nuff said...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The Gorons should have some kind of fire resistance. *After all, they can walk around in lava without getting harmed at all. *And maybe you could create other races from Zelda, like the people who live in Kokiri Forest, don't know what they're called, and the fairies (like Tatl).

And if the Gerudo have a male born every 100 years, then...how long do the Gerudo live? And also, did you make that up, or is that really part of Gerudos?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The people who live in Kokiri forest are called Kokiri. ;D
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

wow i'm a big zelda fan and love this idea!

Having a fairy race would be kinda difficult for a pc wouldnt it?

it also sounds like the goron's are a bit overpowered, and there should be some kind of set dice for their rolling damage, i suggest 1D12 (but that's pretty dam powerful for a natural attack)

The zora's favoured class should definitley be monk (sorry, i'm 3.5 thru and thru) and they would be great for multiple attacks, if i remember correctly, they can also use the fins on their arms for a sort of ranged boomerang attack. waterbreathing skills are a give in, also they would be weak in cold. a dexterity and intelligence bonus would suit them well, cuz they seem kinda like aquatic elves to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak
    And if the Gerudo have a male born every 100 years, then...how long do the Gerudo live? *And also, did you make that up, or is that really part of Gerudos?
    No, he didn't make it up. But I dunno about the lifespans.

STATS PLZ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like this idea, when these are done I might just drop these into my campaign and see if my players get it.

Anyway, ideas, ideas

Kokiir are obviously small, and I'd give Zoras a swim speed. As for Gorons, I'm thinking fire resistance 10, some ability that doubles their weight penalty for swimming, and maybe a "Roll Speed." Why not use falling dmage for their roll attack, equal to the distance the rolled up to a maximum of thirty feet? Otherwise treat it as a bull rush.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The Kokiri would probably basically be small elves, maybe at level 2 of whatever class they are they would automatically get a Fairy, which would be like a familiar, unless they were wizards, sorcerors, rangers, or druids. If they were one of those classes, they would get Fairy as a choice for their animal companion or familiar. The stats for the fairy would probably be mainly intelligence and dexterity, maybe some wisdom, possibly CHA, but not a lot of strength or contitution. The fairies wouldn't be PCs.

The Kokiri would also probably have favored class either ranger or druid.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kokiri would not make so hot PC races, since they can't leave the forest (unless you're going by Wind Waker. Actually, I'm not sure how that works). But, they'd probably be a NPC-Only race.

I actually found a huge ass repository of a Legend of Zelda d20 rules system. Quite amazing. It's well over a hundred pages long.

Gorons:
    - Large Size: And all that entails. I can't remember what it does.
    - Capable of surviving in heats and dryness that ordinary humans cannot.
    - Eat rocks, sand and similar minerals for substinance.
    - The rolling ability.
    - Fire resistance.
    - Natural armor, perhaps; but not if it, combined with the rolling ability, means the race is overpowered.

Gerudo live in the desert, so they'd have appropriate abilities; the ability to survive with little food or water, in high temperatures, to traverse difficult landscape, etc.

Zora have basically what you described there.

Kokiri have:
    - A bonus to a mental stat or two, and a loss to a physical one. Maybe +2 to Intelligence and Wisdom, and a -2 to Strength.
    - Fairy "familiars" naturally.
    - An affinity with nature.
    - An inability to leave their home.
    - A knack with forest skills; most Kokiri homes (Ocarina of Time) are crafted out of trees.

Moblins have:
    - Large size, and all that that entails.
    - Low light vision (the only area I can think of that you encountered them in was rather dimly illuminated)
    - Possibly an ability akin to a Barbarian's ability to Rage.

Ordinary Fairies have:
    - Flight
    - Magical capabilities (most characters in the game don't cast magic; it's Link and Fairies. Even the healing ones do it with magic).
    - Long lifespans.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm...I respect the old school completely, but how about a more recent Zelda race: the Minish. Fine size, favored class: Wizard, and a bonus on Craft are what I can think of off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I also don't see the Kokiri, or the Koroks, or the Faeries, as being a PC race. And Wind Waker is a completely diffrent setting than Hyrule.

And wow, had no idea someone else had already gotten to the step of putting down solid stats.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Who mentioned Wind Waker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Cyclone mentioned it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    And wow, had no idea someone else had already gotten to the step of putting down solid stats.
    Yeah. Want the URL?
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

What's so bad about Gorons or other races being overpowered? That's what level adjustments are for.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    That is where I was hoping I could get some help. The Zelda game system is quite diffrent from any other table-top game.

Goron ram attack tends to kill every animal, though not cows. Minor monsters and low level creatures like moblins (taking the shape of every goblinoid) tend to be either damaged or wounded.
    Than there is the enhanced abaility Link learned in Goron form, where he could obliterate all in his path with the attack.

The Gerudo have a male born to them every 100 years. Nuff said...
    Lucky males...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I've already had my own go at this, but by now I'd completely forgotten,
    races
    Gorons
    Zoras
    Dekus
    Hylians
    Gerudo
    Minish
    kokiri (can't leave the kokiri forest, but the lost woods are part of it, and the lost woods are huge)
    Classess
    (This is because certain classess couldn't be in Hyrule)
    Barbarian
    Bard
    Fighter
    Rogue
    Druid
    Sorcerer(because magic comes from magic power, not from a book, so the Sorcerer must be changed)
    Monsters
    Redeads
    Moblins
    Gibdos
    Bats
    Wolfos
    Deku plants
    Large deku plants
    Skulltulas
    Tekktites
    Dodongos
    Gohmas
    (off the top of my head)

I won't do stats, cos I'm not all that good at it.

Now then, Wind waker is set in Old Hyrule, where it has flooded and all the mountains (which there are many now ???) tops have become islands. Old Hyrule as it shall later be known is underneath, and when Link sails off for his next adventure, afterwards the sea dries up, the people climb down from the mountains, and New Hyrule awaits them.
    Just think of me as your Zelda guru.
    And Vaati rules.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Hylians haven't been mentioned yet, do you plan on giving them human stats? 'cause there's really nothing that suggests that they are good at adapting to new situations(which is what the human Feat and skill point come from).

Gerudo women "kidnap" Hylian males in order to propagate the species, but the children are always considered Gerudo(and of course are always female). Also, remember that the male born to the Gerudo every hundred years becomes their king.

Don't forget about those lizards link sometimes fights, I believe they were called Lizalfos, they would make a good evil race, kind of like orcs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Remember, though, Hylians have pointed ears. I'd say they're more like half-elves.

21. - Top - End - #21

Yeah, since we all know that pointy ears automatically mean elf attributes. And the Kokiri are ALSO elves!

I'm fairly sure Hylians are a variant of humans, like those Calatians. I remember having read somewhere that Hylians are more adept at magic, and Calatians are physically stronger. It might not have been true, though. It might just have been fluff made up for the thing (it was an RPG).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Yer, hylians have a better flair for magic, and their pointed ears are just decoration, but there are legtends that say it allows them to hear the voices of the gods.
    Good campaign idea that,
    And say hello to Swiftfin, the Zora rogue, carrying the triforce of wisdom (not light, I need that triforce now.. :P).
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd say the Kokiri are Small elves. While the Hylians are similar to half-elves, though they probably need different rules. I'd probably say...favored class wizard, but no modified abilities...maybe the listen/spot/search bonus. Not sure what else.

24. - Top - End - #24

The Kokiri are more fey than humanoids. They have a variety of magical properties (like their inability to leave the forests, how they don't age normally), and they're definitely connected to nature. They also have fairies as companions naturally.

I'd say that the Hylians have the following traits:
    - A +1 to caster level for the determining of spell effects
    - Maybe a bonus to Listen checks
    - +4 to skill points at first level, +1 for every level thereafter

Calatians, on the other hand, have something like:
    - +1 Strength, +1 Constitution
    - +4 to skill points at first level, +1 for every level thereafter

Kokiri would be easier to determine starting traits for:
    - Ageless
    - Need to stay in the forest
    - Fairy companion
    - Fey traits

25. - Top - End - #25

What race would Ganon be? Is he human?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Ganon is a Gerudo; they're the most human of all the zelda races, but they might want regional bonuses for living in the desert?

27. - Top - End - #27

Ah, Gerudo. I think that I knew that, but I probably didn't.

28. - Top - End - #28

What about dieties? The clerics and favored souls in this world would need something to worship. Kokiri clerics would probably worship nature. Maybe each race would worship a different element or something like that? Goron=Fire, Zora=Water, Kokiri=Earth, but I'm just spitting out random ideas. Maybe they worship the triforce, and the side they pick to worship has its own domain(s). Power=War, etc. It'd probably need new domains.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

There are tons of diffrent deities. There are the Three Creator Goddesses.

Din-Used her flamings arms to shape the red earth of hyrule.. Granted Link the Fire-Ball spell in one game.
    Good domains for her would be fire and Earth.
    Her avatar was a dancer.

Nayru- Uh... forgot exactly what she did. But she is blue, Gave link a shield spell... her avatar was a harp player.

Farore-Created all spirits and life to uphold nature and the law. Gave Link the teleport ability. Good domains for her, Law and Nature.
    Had no Avatar I am aware of.

Than there are a multitude of minor gods very limited in their domains and abilities. A small familiy of wind Gods, frog like, controlling diffrent weather effects.

And creatures with similar status that do not call themselves gods. Like Valoo, Dragon who took the sky as his domain. Known as the Sky spirit.
    Lord Jabu-Jabu, the great fish that could control the waters, and protected the Zora race.
    Deku Tree, a Large sentient tree created by Farore herself. Though when one dies, another will grow in it's place.

Hmmm... so many.

30. - Top - End - #30

They could also worship:
    - Din, Goddess of Power (and Fire)
    - Nayru, Goddess of Wisdom (and Love)
    - Farore, Goddess of Courage (and Wind)
    - Jabu Jabu, the giant fish, guardian of the Zora's
    - The Great Deku Tree, a huge ent-like creature, guardian of the Kokiri
    - The Triforce
    - That huge dragon from Wind Waker

Darn, Boomer beat me to it.