New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Imperial Sins (Evil)

The hand leads onward through the winding streets of the city, through the teaming masses. Into the seedier side of town. The smells of city life increase as the density of the unwashed masses increased. Onward until it finally enters a decrepit abandoned church in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

The inside of the chapel is dark, darker than any building has a right on such a painfully bright day. The building is crumbling and decrepit. The room is cool, almost cold and a lingering smell of blood clings in the air. A lone figure, clad in the simple tunic of a priest kneels at a dark alter, with dark stains that don't bear close inspection.

As eyes adjust to the gloom, it becomes apparent that the room contains more figures, not all of them human.

The priest, rises from the alter. "I was expecting more to answer the summons, but I fear all that are coming have arrived."

The priest flashes a smile that seems dazzling in the gloom. "I'm sorry I couldn't meet you all in more pleasant surrounds, but secrecy is the byword in this line of work. My name is Rhavas" He pauses considering just how to continue. "I'll just get straight to the point, what I propose is nothing less than treason. I've seen the light and had my eyes opened. The Empire must fall. I've called you all here to help me make sure that the empire dies. We all have our reasons, enjoying killing, the pain and ostracization the empire has caused us and the callous disregard it has for the well being of it's own people. If that's insufficient to to persuade you on my crusade, I've got powerful friends that would reward you handsomely for your aid.

What do you say? Will you be my harbingers, heralds of a new age?"

(For quick reference)
    Spoiler
    Show

Taelas Yewleak Half Elf Ranger, MCerberus
    Loren Druid, PId6
    Aztara Sagitariya Fighter, ConwayCS
    Therlond Werakas Ranger Danger!, Roland Deschain
    Elran Hillson Orc Wizard, TheStranger
    Last edited by Thatguyoverther; 2009-07-06 at 03:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Imperial Sins (Evil)

THERLOND (Kas for short)
    Let it all burn. Therlond says as he walks to the door and nocks his bow, picking targets of opportunity in the street. Who dies first?
    Last edited by Roland Deschain; 2009-07-05 at 08:25 PM.
    Sig is getting out of hand, so into the spoiler box it goes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Special thanks to Fayt for the AWESOMEly complicated and cool avatar! i gave him a hypnotoad in return!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

If we hit the Bullseye Then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

A shaggy, brown dog sat in the corner, eying the priest and everybody else suspiciously. He growled threateningly when anyone else came near, but mostly he just sat quietly and stared at the priest as he talked. Finally, when the priest finished his speech, the dog stood up. As he stood, his form grew taller and taller. His paws grew into hands and his fur turned into clothes. Within a moment, a tall unkempt human in a crude brown outfit stood before you.

His eyes looked grim as he began to speak in a rough voice reminiscent of the dog's growl, "You expect me to trust you so easily with your swift promises of gold? How did you even find me, and why should I trust your word?"
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Elran

An orc leading a mule nears the church, muttering curses at the balky animal as the pair's progress stops and starts at the beast's whim. There is no way this process could be described as clandestine - the best that could be said is that the scene is probably too comical for any observer to suspect conspiracy. Eventually, however, the orc enters the dim chapel. Close up, he looks little like you would expect from a representative of his race. There is nothing savage about him - he wears simple scholar's robes, and a pair of spectacles perch on the bridge of his nose. Though tall and big-boned, he is gaunt and carries himself in an awkward slouch. Despite the crossbow slung across his back, he is clearly unused to combat, or any other demanding activity. He seems rather uncomfortable to hear treason mentioned so openly.

"I'm listening," he says noncomittally. "What do you propose?"
    Last edited by TheStranger; 2009-07-05 at 08:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Taelas

Almost hypnotically lead through the streets by the summoning hand, Taelas lets his mind wonder from the obvious questions why someone would talk to him. The oppressive heat ceases and the crowd of humans blur as he makes his way into the church.

Taelas is slightly shorter than what you'd imagine a human so athletically built to be. Most of his being is covered by the dark clothing and dyed armor he wears. A hooded cloak covers his hair and a featureless, half-red half-white mask his face.

Standing still as to show no body language, he lets the others speak before him, disregarding the shape shifter, orc, and very eager human, he questions the priest, "What manner of new age?"
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2009-07-05 at 08:46 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

The smell of blood stops Aztara's concerns for her horse. She does not fully understand the priest's speech, but the agitated use of "Empire", and the suspicious men around her, tell her that this is not good.
    She watches the others, evaluating them. The bowman has shown his intentions, it will be easy to see any treachery and cut him down; a shape shifter! this...unnatural should be put down; an orc...the priest is stupid, to suggest I should work with it; and a masked man, a coward or a snake? Karl would be interested in this group of wolves in sheep's clothing.
    With extreme distaste the foreign woman advances and asks him quickly if he can speak any form of Paduan. Her arms bulge at her sides with clenched fists.
    "How much do you offer? Why...should we attack the Imperials?", she demands in a heightened accent, remembering the Empire's own promises of wealth.
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2009-07-05 at 09:40 PM.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #7

The priest who calls himself Rhavas answers the questions in turn.

His face stretches into a smile. "I admire your enthusiasm, Abbadi of Marukan, but I'll get to that in a second."

His smile fades, "I'm sorry if my offer offends, men such as you and I have no need for gold, but there are many more mercenary amongst us. I did not find you, I received a dream from the god I serve. He led me to you. You have no reason to trust me, but I'll do my best to remedy the situation."

"There is no need to seem so concerned, I've made arrangements to ensure this meeting goes unnoticed. I propose quite a bit, murder, regicide, insurrection and the eventual destruction of the empire of Videssos, all in good time. For at the current moment, I propose the assassination of one diplomat, the aforementioned Abbadi."

His eyes narrow at Taelas' question. "An age without masks."

"I offer a thousand for Abbadi dead, two thousand if it looks like an accident, three thousand if it looks like botched thievery, and twice that if it looks like a mob action."

"Why?" Rhavas pauses, considering his answer."I do it because my lord commands it." He switches into Paduan before proceeding. "You should do it for your people. The Empire dangles gold in front of the khans and makes them fight amongst themselves, bleeding them and keeping them week. You yourself are here looking for coin, would you be here if imperial pay masters weren't paying for the blood of your brothers?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren is startled when he sees the orc enter the room. He looks as if he was about to leap over and attack, before visibly taking control of himself. He turns back to the priest while keeping one eye pinned on the orc. "What is this? Am I to believe this god of yours should happen to know all about me? Wouldn't your god know then, that I would never work with an orcish murderer?" Loren looks furious and glares hatefully at Elran.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

9. - Top - End - #9

Thaelas

Below his mask, Thaelas glares at the shifter. "Because it doesn't look like you, it's nothing but a beast?"

Turning towards the priest he takes a few steps forward. Already at each other's throats, Thaelas considers walking away right now. Of course the reward is in the thousands of gold. Even split between everyone here that's a lot. At this rate there will be a lot less splitting. An age without masks is likely impossible, but the money could be useful.

"Where can we find him?"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

"You know nothing of this, stay out of it! All orcs are murderous thugs!" Loren snaps, then turns his head slowly towards Elran, "And beasts, are better than orcs."

11. - Top - End - #11

Loren's question seems to through Rhavas for a loop. "I'm sure the great god has his reasons for his decisions, I am but a humble servant." He regains his brilliant smile. "Besides, this man who stands before us hardly seems the murdering type."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren doesn't respond, but he does see Rhavas's point. This orc looks like he would fit in at one of the numerous universities in this city. He's nothing at all like the typical barbaric orcish scum that brought Loren so much loss before. Still, he's an orc; their kind is not to be trusted. Loren continues glaring at Elran in a way that makes it obvious that were he still in dog form, he would certainly be growling angrily.

13. - Top - End - #13

Thaelas

Now drawn into an argument, Thaelas moves closer to Loren, drawing the man's attention with a pull of the shoulder. "Why?"

Being so close, Thaelas' eyes are visible behind his mask. They glow with an eerie green and look angry. "If you treat someone as a monster, they become one. If you step on a man will he not defend himself? "

Now in Loren's face, Thaelas pushes him back. "And if you hate them so much, how much vengeance can thousands of gold buy?"
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

"As I've said, this is not your problem!" As Thaelas stepped closer, Loren leaped back and instantly changed into a large silver wolf, his teeth bared at the man, his yellow eyes glinting with challenge, daring the human to step closer. Yet he calms himself again, and resumes his human form, though no less threatening than before. "Yes, you are right, gold can buy vengeance. Gold can buy blood. For that, I will endure this vermin in my presence." His anger cooled, he turns back to the priest, "Well? Where can we find Abbadi so that I can sink my teeth into his throat?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Rhavas tenses visibly as the words escalate, as Loren's anger dissipates he seems to relax. "Abbadi is usually safe and secure in the Marukan embassy surrounded by guards, or meeting with officials with the palace surrounded by even more guards."

"However he has taken to visiting a bordello in this part of town, after treating in the palace so as to avoid the suspicion of his wife. He never takes more than two of his most trusted guards with him. He's scheduled for an audience later today which means that he's likely to have another 'appointment' tonight."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

Aztara hears, but does not listen to anything beyond the priests words in Paduan and whatever she can pick up about some Abbadi. Let these animals kill themselves; but I need this gold, and the Imperial Army has forgotten me.
    She talks to the priest, in Paduan again:"You are right, I do not trust you. You offer gold, which I do not see; you have access to knowledge, but how do I know you have the power and resources, beyond what you saw in your sleep?" It is clear, to anyone perceptive enough, that Aztara's outburst is more for reassurance than persuasion.
    "I will need an advance, if we are to disguise it as a mob; and where can we find people willing to attack a Marukan?"; the Paduan's thin eyes slant a little more, and a smile reveals her sharpened teeth, at her own ingenuity.
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2009-07-06 at 05:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Elran

Elran is visibly discomfited by Loren's hatred, though it is nothing he has not experienced before. As the unkempt man confronts him, he shuffles his feet and his eyes dart nervously. Twice he opens his mouth, starting to say something, but he makes no response to Loren's anger. When Rhavas and Thaelas defend him, he seems relieved to no longer be the focus of attention. Taking a half step back from the shapeshifter, he watches the man out of one eye as he studies the rest of the group. The masked man, at least, seemed to bear him no ill will on account of his race. Would the same be true of the woman? Those from the steppes were prone to an irrational hatred of orcs. And what of the bloodthirsty man with the bow? Would he see nothing but green skin and tusks, as the shapeshifter did? That such prejudice was so common was not the least of the reasons the empire had to fall.

18. - Top - End - #18

Rhavas answers Aztara in Common, "If finding you and leading you here are insufficient evidence of my resources what else would you ask of me? I know only a little of the magical arts, other than that I have only what power Skotos grants me." He pauses briefly to gauge the reaction of the group.

"You can find men willing to assault a Marukaner for coin in just about any seedy tavern. Finding a group willing to assault an Marukaner Diplomat might be harder. As for an advance, I only have what gold I have on me." He reaches for his belt pouch and produces a full purse of gold. A money changer, tax collector or other seasoned thief could give a good estimation of the purses worth, but to the layman's eye it appears to be roughly, "allot".

"There's a 'prophet' on the east side docks who regularly gathers a crowd. In the summer heat, a few choice words might incite a riot, but the bordello is a good mile and a half away."
    Last edited by Thatguyoverther; 2009-07-06 at 02:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

"Bah! Off with this riot business. I say, we just go in there and rip his throat apart." Loren made a savage snarling noise. He opened his mouth widely and partially transformed it into a wolf's maw, showing off a mouthful of jagged teeth.

20. - Top - End - #20

Taelas

The riot option seems foolish to Taelas, a pointless risk that could easily expose them. The more subtle, hands-on murder would be a better option. Even better someone may want to buy whatever this diplomat has on him, especially anything private from his masters.

"I am going to go observe this man. Letting him fall to the ground bleeding to death in daylight will only get us killed. If a robbery is staged, there's a smaller chance of being caught."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or we could just burn the bordello down. More lives taken and it looks less like we targeted just him.
    Sig is getting out of hand, so into the spoiler box it goes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Special thanks to Fayt for the AWESOMEly complicated and cool avatar! i gave him a hypnotoad in return!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

If we hit the Bullseye Then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

Aztara's eyes widen at the sight of the gold, especially from a mad man proposing treason. She moves forward to take it. "I can only guess these others want to do something more direct. Please tell them this, as I only have basic grasp of your language: a good commander will use all his...resources...together to achieve his goal. I suggest that tonight someone stages a riot, which at the least can serve as a distraction; the rest of us can break in and quickly kill him; and - " pointing at the bowman "you suggested a fire? we torch the building. This will give us three different chances to make sure he is killed."
    What are you doing, Aztara? You are suggesting destruction! Can you be as bad as those orcs? Yet somewhere, deep in her heart, the woman is thrilled by the thought of killing...
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2009-07-06 at 05:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

"Burn the building! Are all of you mad? And how do you propose getting out of there while we're surrounded by a mob and BEING BURNED ALIVE?!"

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

Elran
    "Ahem. I don't think we would be in the building. But what about the whores? I wouldn't want to kill them. Why not just wait for him to leave the brothel and jump him?"

25. - Top - End - #25

Taelas

Fire?! Taelas couldn't quite believe the suggestion. Not only could they kill themselves in a burning building, but that way gives a significant chance of them not even killing their target.

"A dagger through his throat and stolen jewelry are certain. Make it look like a mugging, or get him while he sleeps."

Motioning with his head towards Aztara he asks, "What's her deal?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren furled his brows in thought, then looked up, "Then again, the idea does have some merit. If we kill him with the mob outside, then burn the building afterwards, it would look like the mob destroyed the building and he died in the fire." He turned to the priest again, "Do we get a bonus if it looks like the mob botched a thievery and killed him by accident?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops, wrong color there for a moment.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-07-06 at 05:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Elran

*Blinks in confusion.*
    Last edited by TheStranger; 2009-07-06 at 05:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ashvar conveys Aztara's message.

He smiles at Loren. "I admire the ingenuity. But I don't think so. If you do set fire be careful. It's dry and could spread easily. Skotos has plans for you. I'd hate to see them thwarted by a fiery death."

29. - Top - End - #29

Taelas

The group arriving at a multi-faceted plan, Taelas turns from Rhavas and begins to move towards the exit. Still thinking the more publicly visible options won't work out, he throws his last thoughts over his shoulder,

"I'll go shadow the man. If he wanders off alone, I'll stick him myself. Considering where our target's at, a few lies should make people angry in this heat."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

Shocked by this sudden turn of events, Aztara drops the money to the floor:"someone should find a mob; Ashvar, can you tell me how to find the brothel? I shall scout it out, from the outside at least; the inside" - the depravity of her next thought almost forces her to the ground.