New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Imperial Sins (Evil)

The first day of the voyage passes peacefully. A constant wind helps the vessel combat the flow of the river, and lets the oarsmen rest until their services are needed. One of the two of the brothers play dice with the crew, and from appearances seem to clean them out of whatever earnings they had left after making port. Taelas spends most of his time in his bunk avoiding the crew and discovery. Aztara spends most of her time at the ships rail, vomiting. This is the first time the Paduan has spent any lengthy time on board a ship. The scribe spends most of his time writing in a journal and the old man whistles and whittles, occasionally joining in the dice game.

When evening comes the Captain makes a point of inviting all of the passengers to dine with him. Taelas is the only passenger to refuse. Aztara shows up but barely touches the meal, more content with simply moving the food about her plate. The scribe is making his way north to help the Imperial Bureaucracy, with the falls collection and census. The old man, Obren, is a retired sergeant from the Imperial armory, he's on his way north to Skopotenca to collect his pension and take a position training the towns militia. The three brothers all claim to be fishermen, on their way north to visit an their ailing mother. The meal passes pleasantly with Obren regaling the group with tales of wars and actions he's been in. Apparently everywhere from the Marukaner border to the Free Cities and everywhere in between.

The morning dawns clear but less pleasantly. One of the crew was found dead in his bunk. The vessel stops and way's anchor near the center of the river while the crew prepare a make shift burial, and the Captain presides over the funeral. Afterwards the crew are ordered to the oars despite the prevailing wind.

((@Blacknight I assume you spend most of the time outside of your armor, but does Aslan keep his sword on him at all times?))
    Pwn 4 teh pwn god! N00bs 4 teh n00b thr1!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC(No, only when he's alone in his cabin or such, or asleep. Otherwise, he doesn't wear it.)
    Characters!
    Aslan Towerlock, the Fallen Paladin...
    [/B][/SIZE]

3. - Top - End - #243

The following day passes less pleasantly than the last. Obren still whittles, and the scholar still writes but a general sort of unease has crept into everything. With all the oarsmen at their stations the three brothers play cards to pass the time.

That night at dinner everyone is once again asked to the Captains table. Taelas refuses once more. Aztara makes it and actually manages to keep some of her meal down. About halfway through the dinner Obren puts down his fork and proceeds to berate the Captain about the death. "It weren't no illness! I saw the man last night and he was hale. Unless I miss my mark t'was murder." The Captain doesn't respond, instead looking down towards his food. The rest of the meal passes in awkward silence.

((Everybody make a Listen check))

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren sat below the table, taking scraps that the dinner guests slip to him.

Listen - (1d20+8)[12] Crap.
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-09-01 at 04:34 PM.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

Aslan tries to make causal conversation with whoever.

(1d20+1)[6]
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

6. - Top - End - #246

After a long uncomfortable pause Obren excuses himself and the meal progresses is a more normal air. As diners begin finishing and leaving the table Captain Tenbur waves to Aslan. "If you don't mind uh, sir knight? I'd like to have a word with you in private."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren hears the words from under the table and comes out, following at the heels of Aslan.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

"Mmm, as you wish, Captain." Aslan excuses himself from the table, and follows the captain.
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

9. - Top - End - #249

Tenbur looks around making sure that there are no eavesdroppers before continuing. "Obren was right. Something is wrong. I can't let on to the crew that something is wrong. They're a superstitious bunch and when ever something goes wrong they blame 'the curse'" He spits. "My guess is that one of the crew lost to much playing dice and wanted to get even, or it's one of the new passengers. I figure your group isn't to blame, one of you never leaves his bunk the other's sicker than a dog, and you don't seem the knife in the dark type. Begging your pardon sir. I know that it's not what you signed up for but I'd be much obliged if you looked into it."

"Where still three days away from the nearest..." The captain doesn't get to finish his thought. There's a large crash from bellow decks, and an effeminate scream.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren is the first to race out of the cabin, heading for the origin of the sound as fast as his canine legs can run.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

"Mmm, it's alright. If it makes this trip-" The scream cuts through the air. Aslan bolts off in the direction of the sound
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

12. - Top - End - #252

Captain Tenbur sprints after the other two a second after they leave the room.

The trio are some of the first people to arrive at the scene. Below decks the scribe sits against one of the ships support beams yammering to himself. From the tenor of his voice it would be safe to assume he was the originator of the scream. A large crate sits in the middle of the walk way dislodged from its position. Underneath the crate the flooring is splintered from an impact and a pair of booted feet protrude. Already blood is beginning to pool in the area.

The scribe holds himself and rocks. "He was there and now he's gone. Like a pancake. There was a man, but then not. Oh, oh God, he's dead!" He continues rambling on in that manner.

Already other members of the crew begin to arrive along with passengers.
    Last edited by Thatguyoverther; 2009-09-03 at 04:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

"Ah...this can't be good."
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

14. - Top - End - #254

Tenbur stares at the scene dumbstruck for a handful of seconds. "Get back get everyone back. You." He points to a pair crew member and one of the three brothers. "Help me get the crate off him." With a few grunts of effort the crate is dislodged, revealing the crushed form of Obren. The scribe tries to barge through the gathered crowd, but doesn't make it. Instead vomiting on himself and several members of the crew.

The Captain visible restrains his own bile. "Get to your Phos damned stations! You sick piles of feces!" Get out of here!" He begins physically shoving members of his crew towards their stations. The first mate and other high ranking crew members join in the effort, corralling dumbstruck men towards posts. Already, whispers of "Murderer" and "Curse" can be heard circulating through the crew.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Waiting until all of the crew had left and only the three of them stands in the room, Loren shifts again, transforming back into the form of a man. As soon as he is back on two legs, he turns to the astonished captain, "You are going to tell me exactly what is happening here, and you will do it quickly." His voice is cold and threatening, a look of savagery still clinging to his human form.

16. - Top - End - #256

Captain Tenbur stumbles back and quickly sketches the sign of Phos over his breast. He stammers a bit before getting out a single word. "Murder." He pauses a bit collecting himself. "I mean it has to be murder." He points to the crate. "These crates are strapped down in case of rough weather, they don't just tip over. Someone wanted Obren dead, and wanted it to look like an accident."

He recovers a bit more and puts his hand on the hilt of his sword. "And who exactly pray tell are you?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Loren sneers, and replies simply, "Your passenger," before turning away and speaking to Aslan instead, "We'll have to meet with the others to discuss this change of plans. Let's go back to the cabin." Not giving the captain another look, the druid transforms back into canine form and begins heading to their room.

18. - Top - End - #258

The captain watches Loren leave still slightly awed. In the distance shouts calling for canvas to be cut and mops to be brought.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

"I apologize. He's an odd one, that. Likes being a dog more than human. Anyway, I must away to discuss these events with my companions. Good day Captain." Aslan quickly follows Loren, back to the cabin.
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

Back in their cabin, Loren quickly transforms back into his human form and gets right to the point, "We've a murderer on the boat who is disrupting our mission. It may be necessary for us to deal with it, or forcibly return the ship to land. I'm beginning to think that traveling by water may be more trouble than it's worth."
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-09-10 at 10:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

Aztara is already inside the cabin, disinterested in whatever happened outside. Loren's synopsis has no affect on her: "do as you would will it" she says, forcing herself up to get to the stabling area.

[OOC:Aslan has a horse, right? In that case you forgot about mine when you were booking the passage. Can we just assume that I got my horse on as well, since it's kind of half the point of my character?]
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #262

((OOC: That's fine. I had forgotten about it. I'd assume that the captain made room when Aztara shoes up unexpectedly with a horse.))

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aslan the Black

"I suppose it's you and me, Loren. I'd rather find this killer before he finds me...Perhaps we should question the crew? They should know something."
    Characters!
    [/B][/SIZE]

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

"I suppose I can spy among them while you question them. Just ask them a few questions while I keep watch. Be subtle." With that, Loren transforms into a dog again and wanders out to join the crew members.

25. - Top - End - #265

Loren walks between the members of the crew largely unnoticed. The crew are on edge. One death on a voyage is a bad omen but two? The crewmen are all nervous and jumping at shadows. Most of the talk seems to be about "The Curse". ((Make a gather information check to see if you can get more.))

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

This won't be good: Gather Information - (1d20-1)[1]

27. - Top - End - #267

(Sorry about the pause I was waiting on Blackknight to post something.)

Loren weaves in and out of the ships crew but doesn't get any new or useful information. The crew seems to be mumbling about the curse, but all the information seems contradictory or nonsensical.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aztara

(A bit predictable, but I'll post her actions anyway)

Aztara enters the stable, and immediately heads for her horse. She then spends the next few hours grooming, feeding, and generally ensuring the well being of the closest thing to her. The smell of horses and leather is a comforting, if bittersweet, reminder of the steppes and a less dismal time for her.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Loren

After spending so much time hearing tales of curses and other nonsense, Loren gives up with disgust and returns to the cabin, finding a place to curl up and rest for a while. Why does he care if there's a murderer on board, as long as they get to where they want to go?

30. - Top - End - #270

((Aztara make a listen check.))