New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: DnD 2.5? What?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default DnD 2.5? What?

I'd never heard of anything along the lines of 2.5 in regards to DnD until about... 3 days ago. It seems like it has something to do with the rules used in the later CRPGs spawned from AD&D as far as I can tell...

Enlighten me as to what it is, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: DnD 2.5? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'd never heard of anything along the lines of 2.5 in regards to DnD until about... 3 days ago. It seems like it has something to do with the rules used in the later CRPGs spawned from AD&D as far as I can tell...

You've pretty much got it.

It's not 'official', but when you start getting into Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal you start seeing things like... Well, like epic feats being thrown around. Things that 2nd Ed just wasn't built to deal with. Things that the coders and designers implemented to help the epic feeling of the game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

AFAIK D&D2.5 is usually used as internet shorthand for the Player's Option series of books produced by late-period TSR. All I'll say about that little lot is that there were some good ideas hidden in there...if you dug hard enough.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-07-10 at 10:16 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

It's the revised 2nd Ed. and the line of Player/DM's Options supplements branded under the new logo.

This one.
    Last edited by jamroar; 2009-07-10 at 10:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    AFAIK D&D2.5 is usually used as internet shorthand for the Player's Option series of books produced by late-period TSR. All I'll say about that little lot is that there were some good ideas hidden in there...if you dug hard enough.
    It also spawned at least one decent module used to showcase some of the new rules (though it worked just fine without them, too): The Gates of Firestorm Peak. Eldritch horror plus giant invisible dwarves!

Good times.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by jamroar View Post
    It's the revised 2nd Ed. and the line of Player/DM's Options supplements branded under the new logo.

This one.
    What? No. The black books aren't 2.5. There are black books that are, but just being a black cover doesn't make them all 2.5.

The Player Options, DM Options, and Campaign Options are the 2.5.

Skills & Powers
    Combat & Tactics
    Spells & Magic
    High-Level Campaigns
    Council of Wyrms

Those are the 2.5 materials.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Generally, I haven't seen Council of Wyrms included in the 2.5 group... usually, it only applies to the Player's Options and DM's Options books (Combat & Tactics, Skills and Powers, Spells and Magic, and High-Level Campaigns). If you use these rules, you've substantially diverged from the rules of 2e... C&T has some very different initiative rules and critical hits, Skills and Powers and Spells and Magic have very different character creation processes, plus some spell point systems and options to go with that, and High Level campaigns adds a number of abilities.

Playing with those greatly changes the experience.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. The Player's Option and Dungeon Master's Option supplements are often now referred to as AD&D/2.5, though they are not really anything of the sort by comparison with D20/3.5. As noted, various rules were imported into computer titles like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape, but not very many.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)