New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536373853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by megadoomer45 View Post
    It is based in dnd and honestly you can not tell me what to do.
    It's really not.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: ABR rips off stuff from damn near everything, it just rips off stuff from D&D slightly more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Fixed for you.
    That's Knightmare to you, citizen.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #812
    Banned

smile Pewpewpew!

Just use Imperial Stormtrooper syndrome and have them be the lousiest shots in history?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Pewpewpew!

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Just use Imperial Stormtrooper syndrome and have them be the lousiest shots in history?
    Precisely! Empire Strikes Back, remember?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Pewpewpew!

That's one of the reasons I don't see why people have to be invulnerable, unless it's plot important then no non-players will hit you without being an army firing at you (and then they still only have killed you because all the non-vital wounds made you loose too much blood) besides how can guns be overpowered when half the resistance can hurl giant balls of fire at you?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pewpewpew!

The sort of guns we're talking about weren't exactly accurate in any case.
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

I believe it was Doctor McNinja that said "The problem with your gun is you have to point it where you want to send the bullets, and I can see that."

In theory that supports the use of swords and the like to deflect bullets given high enough reflexes, but I still think it would make more sense to have PfA be as effective against bullets as arrows & shuriken and have the UNA and such carry melee weaponry as backup.

7. - Top - End - #817

What technological era of guns are we talking about anyway? Like... muskets?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I believe it was Doctor McNinja that said "The problem with your gun is you have to point it where you want to send the bullets, and I can see that."

In theory that supports the use of swords and the like to deflect bullets given high enough reflexes, but I still think it would make more sense to have PfA be as effective against bullets as arrows & shuriken and have the UNA and such carry melee weaponry as backup.
    Well guns don't fire as slow as arrows so I think they would have a greater effect on the spell, but i agree that it could save your life (just don't use it as being the Juggernaut against bullets)

@Kippy: WW1 era weapons, at least that's what Mad said and I think it's a good idea (muskets are weak and boring)

(And I'm still calling you Kippy)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #819

No Kippy!

You know, I was going to tell you what the *secret project* was, but then you started calling me Kippy...

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

frown Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    No Kippy!

You know, I was going to tell you what the *secret project* was, but then you started calling me Kippy...
    Sorry I didn't know you hated that name that much (I think it's a good nickname and Everyone insist on calling me "Kev")...

I didn't even care about that project, you obviously either reveal it when you're done or not at all (sorry)

Sorry, sorry, sorry
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

11. - Top - End - #821

Psst... I'm not actually upset! I joke. I'm a joker. Also a mocker, a jester, a lover, a fighter, a space cowboy...

You take things waaay too seriously, Keveak.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Psst... I'm not actually upset! I joke. I'm a joker. Also a mocker, a jester, a lover, a fighter, a space cowboy...

You take things waaay too seriously, Keveak.
    Mocking is bad.

Yes I do take thing too serious, but you should remember the damn "" Smiley! else I can't tell if you are joking (Weren't the purpose of that smiley to show you are joking)

Wait! space cowboy Woah, can I get your autograph
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

13. - Top - End - #823

By the way, for people who are in the PbP game, but haven't said they're still in:

A word of warning to people who haven't said they're still in the game: I am not responsible if your character suffers a brutal death offscreen to demonstrate how dangerous a villain is nor if your character is turned into some sort of undead abomination your companions must fight.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    And with more me actually watching it.
    ...I've heard of CG before, but is it actually any good?
    The first few episodes are kinda bad, but it gets amazing.
    Then Code Geass R2 is even better.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll say this again: Future Imperfect is not "dark" as in "everybody's miserable". It's more "dark" as in "you can't tell the heroes from the villains". It's certainly not light-hearted, but certainly not GRIMDARK™, where everybody's evil.

If anything, the world's become more grey. Both sides have "knights in shining armour", metaphorically speaking (like Karen Dewey or Igon Minoblendy), but they also have real bastards (like Grim Ranger or Schwarz). And there are a lot of morally ambiguous people (like Chriky or Acostas Gwyn).

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    I'll say this again: Future Imperfect is not "dark" as in "everybody's miserable". It's more "dark" as in "you can't tell the heroes from the villains". It's certainly not light-hearted, but certainly not GRIMDARK™, where everybody's evil.

If anything, the world's become more grey. Both sides have "knights in shining armour", metaphorically speaking (like Karen Dewey or Igon Minoblendy), but they also have real bastards (like Grim Ranger or Schwarz). And there are a lot of morally ambiguous people (like Chriky or Acostas Gwyn).
    Which one is Keveak?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Which one is Keveak?
    I don't know, it's your character. What is his methodology ? Does he believe that the end justifies the means, does he believe that diplomacy is the best solution, etc. ?

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't know, it's your character. What is his methodology ? Does he believe that the end justifies the means, does he believe that diplomacy is the best solution, etc. ?
    He doesn't believe in those things but in that one should follow his heart and live life. I would say he is somewhat idealistic butI can't see where he fit.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Why did he choose to ally with the ALF ?

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Why did he choose to ally with the ALF ?
    he's a free spirit (UNA have too many strict laws), his friends is and most important; He felt it was the right thing to do at the moment.

EDIT: He's inbetween NG and CG to put it in DnD terms
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-07-27 at 07:30 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there going to be a Break the Cutie moment ?

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Which one is Keveak?
    He's a little anklebiter, and a constant thorn in the side of the resistance.

Going back to the firearms topic, why don't we use d20 Modern stats for them? It's a system that is compatible with D&D, as both use the d20 system, the d20 Modern classes have around the same hit points, and armour the same level of benefit (d20 Modern uses the exact same game stats for leather armour, chainmail and platemail). While d20 Modern characters also have a "Defence bonus" depending on their class, D&D characters have spells and magic items to boost their defence.

The SRD for d20 Modern can be found here, and includes all the weapon stats from the Core Rulebook.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Brraaawwwrrrr friggle gaggle poop.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Why should we ? It's not like we play a game of D&D. You aren't going to roll to hit, remove hit points and all that jazz when you draw your comic. You're going to draw a comic using (hopefully) your common sense and things we have previously agreed on.

If your character is shot and no attempt is made to cure him, he's going to die, no matter if you say "but he has 50 hit points and the bullet does a maximum of 20 damage !".

So when you're shot, call your doctor.
    Or in case of being undead, your necromancer

But I agree, let's use some common sense instead of saying "but I have one hit point left" when you have been shot in your head or is bleeding so heavily that your friends are losing blood by it.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Because of the Secret Project™ comic-making will go done a bit. Trust me, it's for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Going back to the firearms topic, why don't we use d20 Modern stats for them? It's a system that is compatible with D&D, as both use the d20 system, the d20 Modern classes have around the same hit points, and armour the same level of benefit (d20 Modern uses the exact same game stats for leather armour, chainmail and platemail). While d20 Modern characters also have a "Defence bonus" depending on their class, D&D characters have spells and magic items to boost their defence.

The SRD for d20 Modern can be found here, and includes all the weapon stats from the Core Rulebook.
    Why should we ? It's not like we play a game of D&D. You aren't going to roll to hit, remove hit points and all that jazz when you draw your comic. You're going to draw a comic using (hopefully) your common sense and things we have previously agreed on.

If your character is shot and no attempt is made to cure him, he's going to die, no matter if you say "but he has 50 hit points and the bullet does a maximum of 20 damage !".

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

He doesn't believe in those things but in that one should follow his heart and live life. I would say he is somewhat idealistic butI can't see where he fit.
    We'll throw him into the "naive idealist" category, along with Rose, who I should really get around to making a profile and such for, along with NC's 3F wrapup comic.
    I hearby swear an Oath to do at least the latter tomorrow!
    My other avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yay I quoted a post before it was posted
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet people still frequently describe they're characters as "a mid-high level rogue/wizard" or similar. People seem to like having a grounding in D&D rules for their characters, as it gives a method of comparison which most people on this board are familiar with.
    To this end, you proposed your D&D rules for firearms, which, amongst other flaws, are stupidly overpowered. Yet there are already rules for firearms in D&D, and more detailed rules for firearms elsewhere in the d20 system. And the d20 system goes through months of playtesting, it's designed to be roughly balanced between systems.

And if your character is stabbed and no attempt is made to cure him, he's going to die, no matter if you say "but he has 50 hit points and a +5 bastard sword one does a maximum of 20 damage!".
    Yet how often do people's character die from one hit? It's very rare, only happening when they are significantly outclassed, or want their characters to die.

And if your stabbed, call your doctor. And if your bludgeoned, or sliced, or pierced.
    Yet this seems to happen surprisingly infrequently in ABR.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-07-27 at 08:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    And if your stabbed, call your doctor. And if your bludgeoned, or sliced, or pierced.
    Yet this seems to happen surprisingly infrequently in ABR.
    If you are stabbed you can just put bandages on and also with sliced or pierced, if you are shot you'll have a very deep wound that need to be fixed quickly (though a cleric could do instead of doctor)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Barbarian in the Playground

Of course you don't need to die from a bullet (it could miss vital spots) but you shouldn't be able to just walk away after a head shot unless you are undead or something.
    People have survived head shots before, it's not like they kill you instantly.
    Unless you mean someone who is hit in the medulla oblongata (aka part of the brain stem), but being hit there would be highly unlikely unless a sniper is involved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda