New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Who is Acostas Gwyn ?
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

On that note, I remember reading an article about a Marine who survived being stabbed in the brain through his right temple. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...powers_071022/

His awesome name is obviously what saved him.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-07-27 at 10:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Gun are very in real life, but ABR has always leaned towards the fantasy/game side of things. Can you find a game that has the protagonist die from a single bullet?
    HELP! I'm being misinterpreted!
    Clearly, you didn't understand my point. I was agreeing with you! I was stating, quite clearly I thought, that guns were generally fatal if you're a decent shot, but if you used those rules instead of the rules written, it would break the game. That's why guns have lame stats. It's a shame, and one of my big goals is to figure out a way to balance this in my game, but there you go.

4. - Top - End - #844

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    On that note, I remember reading an article about a Marine who survived being stabbed in the brain through his right temple. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...powers_071022/

His awesome name is obviously what saved him.
    Too bad he's a Sergeant and not a Major.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    HELP! I'm being misinterpreted!
    Clearly, you didn't understand my point. I was agreeing with you! I was stating, quite clearly I thought, that guns were generally fatal if you're a decent shot, but if you used those rules instead of the rules written, it would break the game. That's why guns have lame stats. It's a shame, and one of my big goals is to figure out a way to balance this in my game, but there you go.
    Ah, my bad.
    I thought that the post seemed like it was agreeing with the "one shot kill" line of thinking.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    the "one shot kill" line of thinking.
    Well when I think about it it would depend on what the one hit are and where they are hit (a gun might kill human easily but a troll or zombie will just ignore it) what about 5 vital shots (though it would be ridiculous to survive that many head shots) will be deadly to regular humanoids if not threated soon after and fewer are deadly in the long run (blood loss an kill if you don't threat the wound) That sounds pretty fair to me.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    EDIT: Because of the Secret Project™ comic-making will go done a bit. Trust me, it's for the best.
    Well, good. I realized I can't really do much with the Secret Project™ without your end being complete. After all, the <message-redacted> is already done.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Well when I think about it it would depend on what the one hit are and where they are hit (a gun might kill human easily but a troll or zombie will just ignore it) what about 5 vital shots (though it would be ridiculous to survive that many head shots) will be deadly to regular humanoids if not threated soon after and fewer are deadly in the long run (blood loss an kill if you don't threat the wound) That sounds pretty fair to me.
    How about it we just use the regular stats but with a higher critical chance (15-20 or some such). And a X10 damage bonus on crits.
    That would not only make it not have too much damage but still have the ability to instant kill something if hit in a vital spot (which is what a critical hit is). It would also make it not very effective against undead, constructs, etc.
    Last edited by Lemming; 2009-07-27 at 04:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

How about it we just use the regular stats but with a higher critical chance (15-20 or some such). And a X10 damage bonus on crits.
    That results in an instant kill around 1/4 of the time. This would mean that the average player character will be taken out in a single round if he's facing four accurate goons, and we both know that's not going to happen most of the time.

Why do we need to make 'new' rules for firearms? Why not nominally use the existing d20 rules for firearms, and leave the actual results up to whoever owns the character being fired up? That's what we've done so far with most things.

10. - Top - End - #850

Well, like I said, a lot the characters are the types who can fall thousands of feet and keep walking or get dipped in lava or swim in acid with an acid-breathing shark and spikes at the bottom.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's really less that Firearms in DnD are unrealistic, as it is that DnD is unrealistic.

I mean, a Pistol or a Greatsword can both kill you pretty dead. At for your average Commoner, either will kill your average low-level commoner, which is what most people are. However, DnD regularly features people who can shrug off eight thwacks to the face with a Greatsword without so much as an "Ouch"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

I think HP is less a measure of how much hurt you can personally take and more a measure of how much more hurt you can take or mitigate or avoid etc.

So if you get shot, you might duck out of the way or whatever such that it grazes you or something.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    So if you get shot, you might duck out of the way or whatever such that it grazes you or something.
    Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy indeed.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy indeed.
    More like Jedi Lightsaber Blaster-Deflection Academy really

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I think HP is less a measure of how much hurt you can personally take and more a measure of how much more hurt you can take or mitigate or avoid etc.

"OW"
    "That barely hit you"
    "No, it got me, right in the Hit Points"
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #856

So, how does that work with getting dipped in lava/acid or falling thousands of feet?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    So, how does that work with getting dipped in lava/acid or falling thousands of feet?
    You Happen to have a tank of Liquid Nitrogen/A strong Base/ A Parachute on you.
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #858
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    You Happen to have a tank of Liquid Nitrogen/A strong Base/ A Parachute on you.
    Hey! BRC! How was the Return of the King musical?

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

No new comics for the last couple of days...

And I'm waiting on MM to post the comic he asked us to wait for, so...

I geuss I'm going to make a random kill, or something.

Figures. 3 seconds after I post this, Q posts something. >.>
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-07-27 at 07:09 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Hey! BRC! How was theRECORD ELIMINATED BY HOBO COMMANDOS
    I didn't watch it. In fact, I sent an elite team of Hobo Commandos to destroy every record of it's existance.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-07-27 at 07:32 PM.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #861
    Colossus in the Playground

you do realize that by mentioning its existence, you're publishing a record of its existence? The hobo commandos are cooomiiiing foooor yoooou!
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Seeing as these references still exist, I'm geussing you should have splurged and gotten regular commandos, BRC...
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

23. - Top - End - #863
    Banned

TJH. First page of chapter 2. Just to get Xartyve2 off my back.

Spoiler
    Show

You may wonder why the inside of the Home Base isn't....grey. That's because of my war on "realistic" grey and brown colour schemes. Plus, I would like to see a home base that looks like a nice place to live for once.
    Classic!

(you do realise though that I'm going to have to contradict the colour scheme in my comic )

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

Classic!

(you do realise though that I'm going to have to contradict the colour scheme in my comic )
    You do that. I'll just always draw things colourful in my comics, no matter how much you freaks want to make everything grey or brown, if that's okay with you.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #865
    Banned

You do that. I'll just always draw things colourful in my comics, no matter how much you freaks want to make everything grey or brown, if that's okay with you.
    Actually Xartyve2's quarters are white. But thats okay. I'll just say that all that psychadellic colour is how the shades see things. Or Shadesworth is taking too many of those pills he was given.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

Actually Xartyve2's quarters are white. But thats okay. I'll just say that all that psychadellic colour is how the shades see things. Or Shadesworth is taking too many of those pills he was given.
    Well, this is just outside Xartyve's quarters. Couldn't that be like what the hallways that link the living quarters look like?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #867
    Banned

Well, this is just outside Xartyve's quarters. Couldn't that be like what the hallways that link the living quarters look like?
    Well it's going to be hard for me to draw the floor. I'll make the wall the same colour as in your comic, but the floor.

It's giving me a headache, yet I can't look away .

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Well it's going to be hard for me to draw the floor. I'll make the wall the same colour as in your comic, but the floor.

It's giving me a headache, yet I can't look away .
    That's okay. I just tried to get something that looked like a carpet pattern. I understand.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-07-27 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #869
    Banned

That's okay. I just tried to get something that looked like a carpet pattern. I understand.
    Cool.

I'm assuming he's joining us in the meeting?

*stares at the the floor in Q's comic catatonically*
    Last edited by X2; 2009-07-27 at 08:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

Cool.

I'm assuming he's joining us in the meeting?

*stares at the the floor in Q's comic catatonically*
    Shadesworth? Of course. I mean, he's coming on the adventure, right?
    Spoiler
    Show