New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1747
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Not to be rude, but… That’s quite out of order.
    This is supposed to be for all ABR members to participate in, and making comics “in secret” and developing the story line/intro away from most of the other members is seriously wrong. what if other members want to add something to the intro?
    Because of this, along with all the other anoying preparation we've had- by the time we actually start FI, there probably won’t be much left to develop other then people’s own characters and follow what’s already been pre-prepared for them. It wouldn't suprise me if you MM alread has an ending planned outfor everyone.
    Is it really that hard for you guys to just... let it roll? You know, like FFF started, back when the plot was actually interesting and fun.
    Good thing too. ;P
    High five! Let's do a sit-in!

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXIV: What is this "Haste" you speak of?

I was wondering if I could finaly join the club when FI starts. I've been trying to creat a charactar but inkscape keeps crashing.
    I'll make avatars if any one wants them.
    Cool comic
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

@^ You could join the club right now if you really wanted to, it's just that we recommend waiting until FI starts, for the sake of getting FFF over with. The Inkscape crashing thing seems pretty common from what I've heard. Your best bet would be to just save alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    <snip>
    Preach it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    High five! Let's do a sit-in!
    I was gonna say that.

Although I'm interested in how MM is going to smooth talk his way out of this one.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 12:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Not to be rude, but… That’s quite out of order.
    This is supposed to be for all ABR members to participate in, and making comics “in secret” and developing the story line/intro away from most of the other members is seriously wrong. what if other members want to add something to the intro?
    Because of this, along with all the other anoying preparation we've had- by the time we actually start FI, there probably won’t be much left to develop other then people’s own characters and follow what’s already been pre-prepared for them. It wouldn't suprise me if you MM alread has an ending planned outfor everyone.
    Is it really that hard for you guys to just... let it roll? You know, like FFF started, back when the plot was actually interesting and fun.
    Good thing too. ;P
    Holy crap, I agree with Nameless. And CA yesterday? Holy crap.
    But seriously, if MM and KP and the Elite Group (grr, there shouldn't be such a thing)have done the intros in secret, I will be very mad. I wanted to do my own intro comic. Maybe Rand had a point.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Although I'm interested in how MM is going to smooth talk his way out Nameless's argument.
    I'm going to twirl my moustache and laugh villainously. Mwahahahahahaha !

Seriously, his argument would be valid if not for the fact that I intend FI to be "sandbox-style", with the characters able to travel anywhere any time as long as it makes sense.

Here are the rules to FI (may change):
    • Your character must be appropriate, setting-wise and be fair to the rest of the cast (no overpowered weapons or abilities). All characters must come from Avbaroy and related grounds.
    • Your actions must respect the setting and use common sense. So if you are with the Resistance, you do not have access to heavy weapons or massive armies. MacGuffins cannot be pulled out of a hat, either.
    • You can't force another participant's character to make any decision. If you want to go on a mission, ask their permission to bring their characters with you.
    • Whenever you enter a battle, you must accept that your character may die. After all, there's no element of risk if every body stays alive. However, you can only kill a given character if he has accepted to come in dangerous terrain*.

*Dangerous terrain is any area that is either openly contested between the ALF and the UNA or unoccupied by the same factions.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-02 at 12:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Seriously, his argument would be valid if not for the fact that I intend FI to be "sandbox-style", with the characters able to travel anywhere any time as long as it makes sense.
    Despite anyone's intentions, I think his argument about you and several of these proclaimed "veterans" making and planning the entire intro for FI without all the other members giving their 2 cents is still valid.

I personally don't care about the FI intro, seeing as I just want to make comics and possibly kill a few characters. But this argument is relevant to my interests, so I have to keep it going.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 12:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite anyone's intentions, I think his argument about you and several of these proclaimed "veterans" making and planning the entire intro for FI without all the other members giving their 2 cents is still valid.

I personally don't care, seeing as I just want to make comics and possibly kill a few characters. But this argument is relevant to my interests, so I have to keep it going.
    Um...

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    BLATANT LIE!
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-02 at 12:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think the big sticking point is that, by choosing a group to make the "secret" intro to FI, you're saying that "These people are the leaders of ABR". You're establishing a heiarchy, and people don't like that.

Personally, I have no problem with you guys making the FI intro comics. But I do have a problem with you trying to establish that some ABRers are more deserving than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Um...
    Damned white text. At least I wasn't the only one that missed it. <.<"

In order to move away from this now embarrassing moment, I offer you the worst thing I've ever seen. (In this week)
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 12:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Bugbear in the Playground

All characters must come from Avbaroy and related grounds.
    Define related grounds
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damned white text. At least I wasn't the only one that missed it. <.<"

In order to move away from this now embarrassing moment, I offer you the worst thing I've ever seen. (In this week)
    Spoiler
    Show

...Is that the actual episode????????????
    That's awful.

Epic win.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

St. Elsewhere's Home for Imaginary Friends?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    Define related grounds
    The planes (outer, astral, whatever) which are parallel to the planet Avbaroy.

14. - Top - End - #1274

• Whenever you enter a battle, you must accept that your character may die. After all, there's no element of risk if every body stays alive. However, you can only kill a given character if he has accepted to come in dangerous terrain*.

*Dangerous terrain is any area that is either openly contested between the ALF and the UNA or unoccupied by the same factions.
    Wait, are you saying that characters can be killed without permission from their owners? It's an interesting idea and all, but I sincerely doubt it would work in practice. It'll just make people angry and lead to arguments ("No, my character would've been able to dodge the bullet! ", etc.) and attempts to make the death non-canon. People don't particularly want to see the characters that they've worked hard on die.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, that's the price of trying to be a special snowflake, Sinister.
    Plus we've talked about heavy character death from the first planning stages of FI. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs after all.

Besides, I doubt a character will be instagibbed by someone the moment they step into the action. There will probably be some sort of chance to save oneself in most scenarios. Also, I can't see many of the people here going overboard with it. I mean sure, there are some people you'll probably want to watch out for.. (Pretty much every mercenary pc springs to mind.)

But then there are people like Nameless or Skimmer who I just can't see killing off pc's left and right because they looked at them funny.
    (But who knows, I may be wrong. )
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 01:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiffanie's got it right.

Also, the "characters can be killed without their owner's permission" only applies in fights you have agreed to be included in. If you don't want to have the possibility of dying, don't enter any fights ! It's that simple.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-02 at 01:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

The chance of death thing is largely why I've ramped up Bright's effectiveness. He's become much closer to Nero* from Devil May Cry 4 than anything, I've even dropped him down to a single gauntlet and have plans on him doing a lot more mid-air attacks like he was doing in his battle at the end of FFF. Seemed like natural character progression.

He's still not going to be wholly serious though, but as always, he is capable of serious-speak.

*He won't whine nearly as much as Nero though
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-02 at 01:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278

Tiffanie's got it right.

Also, the "characters can be killed without their owner's permission" only applies in fights you have agreed to be included in. If you don't want to have the possibility of dying, don't enter any fights ! It's that simple.
    Hm...I have my reservations, but I'll see how it turns out. Hopefully it will work, because I like the idea itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

The simple answer is to decide with the person you are fighting with through PM or something how the battle turns out. This way, you can set it up so that nobody dies, or that nobody dies in an unfitting way.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds interesting. Good idea.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-02 at 01:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

This also gives a chance to swap character abilities so you know, for instance, if one person can regenerate or not.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

However, your idea may remove the risk part, since some people may not wish their character to die, and put them through odds that are insurmountable without any chance of death happening.

Perhaps a combination of the two methods would work best ?
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-02 at 01:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like the whole pm idea, it'd just slow down progress even more. If people don't want their character to die, then make a different one or stay out of the action. As said, we were planning on character death being far more common then it was in FFF. Stop with the safety blankets.
    This also gives a chance to swap character abilities so you know, for instance, if one person can regenerate or not.
    Things like this could just be listed on the characters page on the wiki.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 01:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I've lost track of the discussion thread again. ON the plus side, I managed to keep up until about page 30...

Anyway...

I'm currently working on an introduction for a character and a couple of villains I'll be using in FI...
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Bugbear in the Playground

But then there are people like Nameless or Skimmer who I just can't see killing off pc's left and right because they looked at them funny.
    (But who knows, I may be wrong. )
    Crap! They noticed.....
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like the whole pm idea, it'd just slow down progress even more. If people don't want their character to die, then make a different one or stay out of the action. As said, we were planning on character death being far more common then it was in FFF. Stop with the safety blankets.
    I'd rather have a single safety net than go basejumping without a parachute. Besides, it'd be hardly different than it is now.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-02 at 02:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1287

I think that if you character shares your name for example chriky or Lyinginbedmon it has to be agreed that they can die whereas if they do not share the creators name then you have to be more careful. Also if someone does kill somebody else they would have to make sure thats reasonable depending on the two characters abilities. That way a rather weak new character couldn't kill a more powerful older ABRer. For example I personally would be annoyed if chriky was killed by some random new ABRer however I might be a bit less troubled if chriky was killed by somone like Ins.

Edit - I totally agree with DLB on this one.
    Last edited by chriky; 2009-08-02 at 02:09 PM.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Besides, it'd be hardly different than it is now.
    By "now" do you mean like it worked in FFF? Or as we originally planned for FI?

Planning the end of a battle to see who's going to get injured, who's going to live and whose going to die is completely different then having the fight run it's course and letting what happens happen.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2009-08-02 at 02:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

I just don't agree with the assumption that "Sudden death for any reason" is realistic in any way. What's wrong with simply incapacitating someone? I can't see a lot of characters killing people all that much, if at all. It just feels like everyone is saying "When you enter a fight, someone WILL die" when it should be, "When you enter a fight, someone MAY die". The PM thing is just so we don't have half a million "Bang, your dead! No, bang YOUR dead!" moments or even just have someone get insta-gibbed.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-02 at 02:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I have no problem with Mechafox's robot bodies being pulverized repeatedly. If someone tries to delete his AI, then we have a problem.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.