New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Character Builder Thread II

Q35

Hi, this is my first time posting in this thread and I was wondering if you all could build me a 10th level assassin.

Books: Any 3.5 WotC sources. Would prefer to avoid campaign spacific sources.

Race: (in order of preference) Elf, Human and Non-LA

Class: Rogue/Assassin would be preferable for simplicity, but if something else is more effective...

Ability Scores: 32-point buy.

Alignment: LAWFUL EVIL. This is non-negotiable, I don't like him being evil but if he must he will at least live by a code. lol

House Rules: Umm... nope

Concept: The character is an assassin run by his older sister (who is an attache to the queen), he is a bit nieve when it comes to his sister but is very effective at his trade. I would like a stealthy combatant that can deal a substantial amount of damage using any means neccesary when taking an enemy unaware but can still be an effective ranged combatant with thrown daggers (preferred)/hand crossbow in open combat.

Other: This is a military campaign, the character (Named Ashrim if anyone is interested) is a member of a military unit where his primary tasks will be scouting and infiltration. The rest of the group is unaware that he aslo has hidden motives, namely the attaintment of peace through the selective assassination of key elements. As stated the character is "run" by his older sister who is an attache to the queen. Unbenounced to the party, the character included, his sister chooses these targets through her dealings with the queen, but not with the queen's approval or knowledge. He is, in essence, a disavowable hitman.

If you wouldn't mind key items for a character of this type would be great. I have the resources of a standard 10th level character to work with.

Expiration Date: ASAP would be wonderful. I say this because this is a replacement for my current character who is in a rather sticky situation and may be in need of replacement as early as... 24 hours. lol

As for a cut off date... 8.23.09 sounds good.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

A35

This should be somewhat more effective than a straight Rogue 5/Assassin 5, though it cuts down on your spellcasting and your death attack DC slightly.

rogue feat[Carmendine Monk], flaw[TWF]
    rogue
    swordsage Weapon Focus(Shadow Hand), feat[Shadow Blade]
    swashbuckler Weapon Finesse
    swashbuckler
    assassin feat[Daring Outlaw]
    assassin
    swordsage
    swashbuckler feat[ITWF]
    assassin
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

C35

The Carmendine Monk feat states that it is for a monk. I see what you're trying to do with the feat and the swordsage though. I can consult my DM on the matter, but I don't think it would swing. However, since the character's primary purpose outside of combat is as a scout, wouldn't it be better to drop the feat and have a high wisdom score?

I apprecite the help and this is a great starting point. If you don't mind could I get your opinion on what race to choose and where to assign my stats?

Also, I'm not familiar with some of these feats, so source references would really help me.

Thank you very much.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tommy19 View Post
    C35
    The Carmendine Monk feat states that it is for a monk. I see what you're trying to do with the feat and the swordsage though. I can consult my DM on the matter, but I don't think it would swing. However, since the character's primary purpose outside of combat is as a scout, wouldn't it be better to drop the feat and have a high wisdom score?

I apprecite the help and this is a great starting point. If you don't mind could I get your opinion on what race to choose and where to assign my stats?

Also, I'm not familiar with some of these feats, so source references would really help me.

Thank you very much.
    Yeah, some GMs let Carmendine Monk work with Swordsage, some don't. It was to reduce MAD and improve the INT synergy with Swashbuckler and Assassin.

Daring Outlaw is from Complete Scoundrel and stack Swashbuckler and Rogue levels for sneak attack and ... some swashbuckler class feature that isn't hugely useful.

Shadow Blade is from Tome of Battle and lets you add Dex to damage while in a Shadow Hand stance.

As for races and stats, as written (with Carmendine), the stat order would be DEX/INT/CON/STR/WIS/CHA, so Elf works, as do Human, Dwarf, and Halfling, all of which work well for a non-Carmendine version as well; Halfling might be my first choice, specifically Strongheart Halfling if you can get it.

If you drop Carmendine:
    WIS becomes more important, but Strongheart Halfling remains a good choice
    Changing it to Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 1 and dropping Daring Outlaw becomes a reasonable choice
    Other feats to consider for any new feat slots that open up:Improved Toughness, Weapon Finesse if you drop Swashbuckler entirely, and Craven (Champions of Ruin).
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

A35

Interesting because I was making the exact same character too.

A very simple yet elegant method would be to go rogue3 / swashbuckler3 / assassin 4. Picking up 3 levels of swash instead of rogue 6 you trade:

- uncanny dodge
    - +1 SA dice
    - trap sense +2
    - 8 less skillpoints

for:

- +2 BAB
    - weapon finesse
    - INT to your weapon damage (only to SA-able targets)
    - a little better saves

Pretty good trade. You can use a feat to get the +1d6 SA (Daring Outlaw) you missed, but that's your call.

Best race is Whisper Gnome (races of stone). Human is fine and my personal preference.

Gear, there's tons. Belt of Battle is disgusting, Deathstrike Bracers help if you think you'd encounter undead (or just take the Death's Ruin alternate class feature, complete champion, you drop the useless trap sense), anything that allows you to SA creatures after the first round is very good (blinking, invisibility).
    Last edited by Delandel; 2009-08-17 at 06:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Halfling in the Playground

Q.36
    Essentially I'm making this before I start any campaign, and I'm trying to make it into a sneak/scout with a possibility of being a backup fighter.

Books: Any 3.5, along with Manual of the Planes and BoVD. I prefer no psionics/incarnum however
    Race: Shadow demon
    Class: Monster class Or LA, then Beguiler
    Ability Scores: 32 point buy
    Level: 1-20
    Alignment: Assuming Chaotic Evil, If its possible than Chaotic Neutral
    House Rules: Nothing particular
    Concept: Shadow demon using spells to enchant claws, then to proceed to bring the pain from the shadows
    Other: I'm heavy set on the shadow demon, I just haven't been able to find anything to allow me to play as one yet
    Last edited by AzazelAshheart; 2009-08-19 at 02:31 PM.
    Avatar brought to you by: Tiffanie Lirle!~

Clickables:
    Spoiler
    Show

I Am:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Evil Human Rogue/Cleric (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 17
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 19

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Q. 37

First time on the thread; I was wondering if some kind soul would be willing to build me the most overpowered character they can using the below restrictions.

Books: core 3.5 rulebooks plus complete arcane, complete divine, complete warrior.

Race: one of the base races

Class: any

Ability scores: 32-point buy

Level: 9

Alignment: any non-evil

other: My group is doing a one-shot of the 3.5 edition version of Tomb of Horrors. It would be cheating to look up the adventure, but my DM informs me that it's pretty ridiculous difficulty wise and I'd really love to be able to breeze through it or at least get the character that would do best in this situation (Dungeon with a lot of traps is all I know about it.)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread is not really working out as I'd hoped. I'm cutting it loose from the sticky. If people want to keep using it that's fine.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex