New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Cool Magic Items

Quote Originally Posted by Phasm
    ::starts cracking up over the Whip of Subjugation::

I think the Rouge needs one of these, don't you? (Link for the curious: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1123787949)

Seriously, that would be an awesome weapon for a priestess of Loviatar or similar evil, domination-and-pain oriented deity.
    Geheh heh, I was afraid that'd be taken as a little too kinky. ;) I was actually gonna slap them on the kingdom's high priest of Hextor. TWF plus Lasher prestige class, yehaw!
    I don't want to be Elfstar any more! I want to be Debbie!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundpoe
    Mittens of Endurance

These particularily large, furry pieces of handgear grant the wearer a +4 resistance bonus to Fortitude saves and cold resistance 12. While worn, skills that require hand dexterity (Open Lock, Disable Device) can only be performed at a -2 penalty, and all disarm checks are made with a -2 penalty. Despite their ungainly appearance, these mittens cause no other penalty to attack rolls.
    you forgot one important penalty, a minor curse attached to them. If the wearer ever loses his mittens, he is prohibited from eating pie for 1 week. :D

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

The Willstaff

Once per month, allows a wish as per the wish spell, without the XP cost. However, the wielder must have the presence of mind to believe that the Willstaff will work. (Has to make a successful will save, DC 25 let's say)

Failing three consecutive wishes causes the Willstaff to disappear because the wielder no longer believes the Willstaff is useful. Use of the Willstaff is not transferrable after the first wish, unless it's wished for that the staff have a new owner.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ok, not really a magic item, but sooo funny. A mimic in the form of someones underwear. If these were possible to buy and transport withought having to fight it, man, what a laugh.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Porter
    Ok, not really a magic item, but sooo funny. A mimic in the form of someones underwear. If these were possible to buy and transport withought having to fight it, man, what a laugh.
    I remember something like this happened on a sci-fi program. It might have been red dwarf.
    The final scene I saw was the guy trying to take off these underpants that were constricting (ouch!), while standing over a female. Then the girl's father walked in.

6. - Top - End - #36

BarbarianGuy

Or a **** ****** [Edit]Squidi Thingy[Edit] polymorphed into an exact replica of someones helmet.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Munigur's Tunic

This gentle white silk tunic radiates an aura of calm and friendship. The bearer gains a +2 divine bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information. In addition, each day that the bearer refrains from violence and deliberate aggression the tunic gains a cumulative +1 armor bonus (max +12). Each day that the bearer commits an act of physical or verbal aggression the tunic loses one point of armor bonus (min +0). When transferred to a new owner, the tunic defaults to a +0 bonus to AC.

If the bearer of the tunic ever deliberately kills a sentient creature or allows a sentient creature to be killed when such death could have been reasonably prevented, the tunic crumbles to ash.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Here are some I have equiped NPCs with over the years.

Deck of Summoning:
    The Deck of Summoning is a set of paper cards that for all purposes save magical detection looks like a Deck of Illusions. When a card is selected at random (must be random or the card fails to function) and thrown on the ground the card is consumed in fire and the respective monster on the list is summoned and remains for 20 rounds following to the best of it's ability the deck holder's instructions.

Card List:
    Ace of Hearts: Celestial Dire Bear
    King of Hearts: Celestial Elephant
    Queen of Hearts: Bralani
    Jack of Hearts: Hound Archon
    Ten of Hearts: Lantern Archon
    Nine of Hearts: Celestial Black bear
    Eight of Hearts: Celestial Giant bombardier beetle
    Two of Hearts: Celestial Dog

Ace of Diamonds: Celestial triceratops
    King of Diamonds: Avoral
    Queen of Diamonds: Janni
    Jack of Diamonds: Celestial Brown Bear
    Ten of Diamonds: Celestial Lion
    Nine of Diamonds: Celestial hippogriff
    Eight of Diamonds: Celestial Eagle
    Two of Hearts: Celestial Monkey

Ace of Spades: Blue Slaad
    King of Spades: Bone Devil
    Queen of Spades: Chaos Beast
    Jack of Spades: Achaierai
    Ten of Spades: Howler
    Nine of Spades: Hell Hound
    Eight of Spades: Lemure (Devil)
    Two of Hearts: Fiendish Dire Rat

Ace of Spades: Hell Cat
    King of Spades: Babau
    Queen of Spades: Fiendish Rhinoceros
    Jack of Spades: Bearded Devil
    Ten of Spades: Yeth hound
    Nine of Spades: Dretch
    Eight of Spades: Fiendish Wolf
    Two of Hearts: Fiendish Hawk

Joker: Elder Elemental (Any)
    Joker: Elder Elemental (Any)

Strong Conjuration Price 76000 CL 20th;Craft Wonderous Item, Summon Monster 9, Cost: 38000 gp + 3040 exp

These are some more "off-track" items, feel free to heckle me about the pricing or machanics, but realize I reserve the right to ignore you. ;)

Robe of Wizardly Defensiveness:

[Removed because of suck.]

Wrestling Garb:
    This strong hemp vest fits over normal armor and provides the wearer a +6 on grapple checks and allows the wearer to reroll a failed grapple attempt or escape attempt twice per day.
    Faint Abjuration; CL 5; Craft Wonderous Item, Freedom of Movement, bulls strength; Price 16000 gp

Diplomats Coat:
    This soft velvet vest provides the wearer with +2 enhancment bonus to Charisma as well as a +10 competence bonus on deplomacy checks.
    Faint Transmutation; CL 4; Craft Wonderous item, Eagle's Splendor; Price 16000 gp

Monk's Vestment:
    This strong light cotton or wool vest fits over normal armor and provides the wearer with a +4 enhancement bonus on dex and inproves his unarmed damage to the next size catagory (Small to medium, medium to large, ect.) additionally the wearer is considered armed, even when unarmed.
    Moderate Transmutation: CL 10; righteous might or Tenser's transformation; Price 41000 gp

Paladin's Vestment:
    This white silk vest fits over normal armor and allows the user to use the lay on hands ability as a paladin 5 levels higher, if the wearer is not a paladin, it grants the user the ability to use lay on hands as a 5th level paladin. Additionaly, if the wearer has the smite evil ability, he can use it an addtional time per day.
    Moderate Transmutation: CL 10; Craft Wonderous Item, Magic Vestment and imbue spell-like ability; Price 13000 gp

Belt of the Scaled Ones:
    This light belt is made of mesh fibers from various swamp plants and studded with hydra teeth. The wearer of this belt gains a +4 competence bonus on deplomacy checks with lizard folk and a +2 bonus on similar checks with dragons kobolds and other lizard based creatures and a - 2 on deplomacy checks with everyoe else. The wearer can read, understand, write and speak Draconic. If the wearer is not a lizardman, it gains low-light vision, a +2 resistance to poison, and water breathing.
    Moderate divination; CL 12; Craft Wonderous Item, tongues, creator be a Scaled One; Price 14000 gp
    "I'll give you a 10 second head start; if I catch you, I eat you."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A shoe of materials:
    allows the creator to invest a certain amount of money into this shoe and that can later be used for spell components. The amount the shoe is created with allows the user to use up spent money in the form of spell components. i.e. A shoe is created with 7500 gp put into it. The user then wishes to cast Raise Dead. The diamond component is not needed but the shoes value drops by 5000.

Cost: 2,000 gp + Amount wanted for components.

works great with Eschew Materials feat.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

I have 2 sets of magic items, im only going to explain one.
    Book of light- This book is written entirely in my made-up language, Arcapsioic (AR-Kuh-sigh-ick)
    Therefore no character can understand it.
    But if a character cabable of casting up to 7th level spells attempts to read it, they gradually understand it.
    The book explains ancient secrets of light magic, unknown to the hombrew/purchased world.
    eventually, the players just start spontaeously learn magic based on lawfulness and goodness determined by the DM.
    The player can understand what the entire book says with one age group of study.

Staff of light-
    id10 melee damage.
    if the player using the staff also owns the book of light, reading it becomes easier. Therefore they learn thier spells faster (speed determined by DM).
    They also can cast 1 spell per day that is 2 levels higher then they can currently cast.

Cloak of light-Stops all dark magics casted on the wearer
    http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Gort%20flarsher&&you know you want to.....

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Here are some interesting things

Pain and Suffering
    Minor Artifacts

These are similar looking +3 unholy flaming daggers, and they glow with a black radience when they are drawn together. The blades are made of obsidian. When they strike the same oponent during a round, they cause the victim to be wracked with incredible pain. That person takes 1d4 points of dextarity damage and takes a -4 penalty to armor class, attack rolls, and damge rolls.

Means of Destruction: Holy Fire must be cast on them in a consecrated area.

Sniper's Crossbow
    This is a +2 Far shot heavy crossbow with a scope attached to it. This weapon allows people to make sneak and death attacks from within it's range.

Rod of The Bear

This heavy, dangerous looking piece of metal with the top carved into the likeness of a roaring bear head. It grants a +4 enhancement bonus to the strength and constitution of the wielder. Twice per day, the wielder of the rod may turn himself into a brown bear as per wildshape of a 14 level druid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vodrilus
    I remember a strange item from a D&D collection card. A cursed book that helps the user, but always by offering the most lengthy and ritualized procedures. In time, the user becomes dependent of the book and always consults the book before doing anything. This vicious cycle can be broken with a Remove Curse spell. Anyone remember?
    Wasn't there a Ring of Beaurocractic Wizardry that did something like this as well?