New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Spymaster alternate class feature [CAd]

Not sure if this is the right area to post, but I'll give it a shot...

I'm playing a Changeling Rogue soon, and I am going to be prestiging into Spymaster when able. However, I don't need the Cover Identity feature in the slightest, as the point of my character is that he has a large amount of cover identities anyway. My DM has given me the all clear to come up with a reasonable class feature to replace it, and I was wondering what you guys think? The character is Mr Disguise, incidentally, so any bonuses to bluff and disguise would be good.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Spymaster alternate class feature [CAd]

Maybe some sort of +2 bonus to one of the following; bluff, diplomacy, disguise and +2 bonus to a craft or profession that can/will directly affect one of your identities?
    Me as a D&D character (in the spoiler).
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19
    Alignment:
    Neutral Good

Many thanks to Bradakhan for making the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually I think you might want to keep the ability as-is, all it does is make a given cover identity even more covering, it does not limit the number of cover identities not gaining the bonus of the ability.

So, in short it makes you have X cover identities anyways, Y of them are pretty damn good (Y is the number that your class level allows of said ability), the rest of the X-Y is only a normal cover identity.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2010-10-04 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Actually I think you might want to keep the ability as-is, all it does is make a given cover identity even more covering, it does not limit the number of cover identities not gaining the bonus of the ability.

So, in short it makes you have X cover identities anyways, Y of them are pretty damn good (Y is the number that your class level allows of said ability), the rest of the X-Y is only a normal cover identity.
    I understand that, but my worry is that my character won't need those cover identities all that often, as he is constantly flicking through old and new ones, so the vast majority of the time I won't be recieving a benefit from the classes main feature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'd suggest something like this:

Cryptography
    You can send secret messages by writing. To use this ability you must spend one hour of preparation with the intended receiver of the message message, The coded message can be innocuous-sounding correspondence, or (at your option) gibberish. Cryptography affects the DC of the "Delivering a Secret Message" function of the Bluff check. Complex communications delivered by written message no longer have a higher DC than simple communications, and you gain a bonus equal to your Intelligence modifier on the check. For any person other than you or the target to understand the true nature of the message, they must make a Decipher Script check opposed by your Bluff check.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I'd suggest something like this:

Cryptography
    You can send secret messages by writing. To use this ability you must spend one hour of preparation with the intended receiver of the message message, The coded message can be innocuous-sounding correspondence, or (at your option) gibberish. Cryptography affects the DC of the "Delivering a Secret Message" function of the Bluff check. Complex communications delivered by written message no longer have a higher DC than simple communications, and you gain a bonus equal to your Intelligence modifier on the check. For any person other than you or the target to understand the true nature of the message, they must make a Decipher Script check opposed by your Bluff check.
    This is an excellent idea, and one that would be very useful for my character. Keep them coming, though, folks, in case my DM won't allow some of these.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

On second thought, I'd amend that slightly - not a bonus equal to your INT bonus, but a bonus equal to your Spymaster levels.

License to Kill
    Any murder you commit while on a mission for your superiors has no effect on your overall alignment. (It may still have repercussions on things such as religious vows and the Paladin's Code).

Or, for some more humorous variants...

Given you a number, Taken away your name
    Your past prior to becoming a Spymaster is erased from history. Divination and similar spells are ineffective. Legend Lore will use the "Rumors" rule (regardless of any other information known about you). Bardic Knowledge about your past requires a DC 30 check. Attempts to discern your True Name automatically fail. A Wish or Miracle will reveal only the character's original name and place of birth.

Not Stirred
    Any effect that would normally result in the character being Frightened instead makes the character Shaken.

Master of Seduction
    Your character is blessed with an uncanny ability to gain intimate affections. You gain a bonus equal to your Spymaster level on any attempts to seduce a target, as well as on Gather Information checks before, during, or after such seduction. Your character is also permanently immune to all venereal disease, and will never have any unintentional offspring.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As many smaller disguises isn't your need, why not use an alternate class feature to improve all of your disguises.

Improved Disguise: You have mastered the art of disguise, allowing you to imitate targets more accurately. At 1st level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks for disguising as a member of another race and all bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by -4 (to a minimum of +0). Lastly, observers who know an individual you disguise as by sight are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.
    At 4th level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks for disguising as a member of another gender and bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by another -2 (minimum +0). Lastly, friends and associates of an individual you disguise as are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.
    At 7th level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks to disguising as another age category and bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by another -2 (minimum +0). Lastly, close friends of an individual you disguise as are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.

Keep in mind that the penalties for assuming another race, gender, or age apply even when using disguise self, your racial changeling abilities, and so forth. Also, even though the assume quirk skill trick exists, it only functions for a single hour each day, which may not be enough.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-05 at 12:02 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    As many smaller disguises isn't your need, why not use an alternate class feature to improve all of your disguises.

Improved Disguise: You have mastered the art of disguise, allowing you to imitate targets more accurately. At 1st level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks for disguising as a member of another race and all bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by -4 (to a minimum of +0). Lastly, observers who know an individual you disguise as by sight are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.
    At 4th level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks for disguising as a member of another gender and bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by another -2 (minimum +0). Lastly, friends and associates of an individual you disguise as are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.
    At 7th level, you no longer take a penalty to Disguise checks to disguising as another age category and bonuses to opposed Spot checks due to being familiar with a creature you disguise as are reduced by another -2 (minimum +0). Lastly, close friends of an individual you disguise as are not treated as being automatically suspicious of you.

Keep in mind that the penalties for assuming another race, gender, or age apply even when using disguise self, your racial changeling abilities, and so forth. Also, even though the assume quirk skill trick exists, it only functions for a single hour each day, which may not be enough.
    I really like this, though I think it would be more appropriate to reverse the order of the bonuses, as disguising yourself as a different race would be harder than making yourself look older/younger. A friend of mine suggested to me today Glibness as a spell-like ability, but that'd be too overpowered most likely.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Actually, disguising as another age possesses the HIGHEST penalty. Instead of a static -2 like the other two, you take a -2 penalty per category older or younger.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Actually, disguising as another age possesses the HIGHEST penalty. Instead of a static -2 like the other two, you take a -2 penalty per category older or younger.
    Huh, I never realised that I've just gone back over the disguise rules now, and your Improved Disguise suggestion seems awesome .
    Last edited by Scarey Nerd; 2010-10-07 at 01:10 PM.