New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Still Not Safe [M&M 2nd ed]

(Out of Character thread)

It's late at night. So late that you can expect the sun to rise in an hour or two. Location: a parking lot near a highway, somewhere in northern France. The north has a reputation of being cold and wet, but it's late June so the weather is quite warm. What are you doing here? You were contacted by SECT only a few hours ago. Their orders were simple: a Shifting Entity appeared. You were to be transported to an interception point (that is here), where further details will be revealed. A helicopter (or in case of those of you who weren't near Europe, a private jet and then a helicopter) dropped you down here not so long ago, one Shifter by one, and since then you were so far left to your own devices. You do not have your amplifiers with you... yet.

Although closed off, the lot and the nearby highway are anything but empty. There are SECT operatives everywhere, talking with each other, organising traffic (new operatives arrive all the time in cars and helicopters), or hastily erecting structures - not just tents, but fortification-looking walls and box-shaped bunkers. There's easily more than a hundred of them. Most of them are clad in light gray SECT uniforms, but some also wear black tieless suits that just scream "bodyguard" or "secret agent". There are exceptions to the uniformed mass of people though. First of all, there's you - the orders caught you unprepared so you have whatever clothes you had on at that time (and Shifters don't have any official uniforms anyway). Second, a bit away from all the chaos stands about a dozen agents clad in bulky Alloy Suits - both mark I and II, although most belong to the former category. They're focused on checking their suits' performance and discussing something (probably military tactics), ignoring everything else.
    And finally, there is a young girl. She looks no older than 18-19, and wears a light, simple blue sundress. Her fiery red hair is kept in a loose braid of an impressive length. Accompanied by a suit-wearing agent, her gaze is down all the time and she tries to avoid attention. At least until now, because some SECT members whispers to each one of you to gather up in one place - including the girl.

"H... hello." She seems to have something to tell to you all. "My name is Laura Ericks. I am a Shifter... just like you." She smiles uneasily. Those of you who were with SECT for longer, especially Ben, already know her. The others at least heard about her - one of the original Shifter squad (she seems to look much younger than that though). She is quite famous, indeed. And she doesn't seem to cope with the present situation well.
    "You are the 'top' squad, aren't you? I think... we should get to know each other, if that's alright. Since we're supposed to work together. Our specific orders and... the amplifiers will arrive in a few minutes, so there is still time." She speaks extremely cautiously. It's obvious that she tries to overcome her shyness.

A new helicopter starts to land on the highway just as she finishes her sentence. It's true - you have a few minutes of free time.

(This is just an introductory post - feel free to react in any way you wish, and if you did anything particular before you all were gathered then post about it as well. Ask questions if you'd like any more details on how the current environment looks like. Like I've written, your amplifiers aren't at hand yet. This is true even for those of you who had them for longer periods of time - you had to give them away for maintenance a few days ago and didn't get them back yet.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-19 at 05:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe [M&M 2nd ed]

"Good to see you again, Laura," says Lorne, his voice soft and calm despite the stressful circumstances. Despite the warm weather, he is wearing thick black clothes, including gloves.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

"I'm happy to see you too... Lorne. I wish the circumstances were better... but don't worry. I am sure it will end up alright." Another uneasy smile. It seems Laura was trying to persuade herself rather than anyone of you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

He was ready for this. The suddenness of it all caught him off guard, that was true. Still, he was ready. He had been rehearsing this from when he was first contacted by SECT. Even before he went to see Mathieu Battiste, the SECT psychologist. In his hand was a bottle of neon-green finger nail polish, the only thing he had time to grab before being hurried away by the SECT operatives. He painted his nails on the way there, it was the first time all them would meet after all. He needed to look good.

He was grinning and his heart was racing in child like glee. The first battle. The first of many.

He threw the bottle of green finger nail polish in the air, in order to draw some attention to himself, and because he desired to throw something. He took a three steps forwards, and spoke in a loud and charismatic voice.

“Hello team mates!”

The bottle of green nail polish landed behind him with a thud. He spoke on.

“My name is Todd, spelled with two “Dees”, because one just isn't awesome enough! I hope you're as ready as I am, because if you're not I will not hold your hand! This is our first fight, so let it be as epic and colorful as I am!”
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-19 at 07:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Andrés has spent the helicopter trip warming up a bit - the call caught him sleeping, but he wants to be at peak efficiency. An enemy had appeared, and he was needed to intercept it! He's already picturing the battle in his head and ways it could go before he even arrives. What would that damn thing look like, he wondered?

When he's there, though, he pays attention to the surroundings, and obviously the rest of theam calls his attention. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that the bunch of people out of uniform like him are going to be the other shifters, so he gets near them and raises a hand in a friendly wave, but Laura speaks before he can finish opening his mouth. He bows deeply before doing so, after hearing her speak.

"A pleasure to meet you, miss Ericks" Admiration isn't at all disimuled in his tone, as is the obvious fact Andrés is not much used to talking so politely. He turns a bit and does an open gesture with his hands, adding everyone else as a listener to his following declaration. "I don't think we've ever been introduced - I'm Andrés, Andres Merina, but please just call me Andy. That's what my friends do" he adds with a friendly, big smile that says very directly he would be much pleased to count everyone here among his friends. "I guess you all are the other shifters assembled here, and so my teammates, no?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lorne clasps his hands behind his back.

"Ah...hello Todd, Andrés." Turning to the rest of the group, he continues "My name is Lorne. I'm usually employed in a research and development capacity, so although I have logged significant practice hours in my Shifted form, this is a bit of a transition for me."

He manages a small smile at his teammates.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-19 at 05:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

"The pleasure, umm, is mine." Laura's uneasy smile does not leave her face, probably due to being surprised (or embarassed, maybe?) by Todd's antics. The bodyguard-like agents try to appear stoic, but other SECT operatives who were nearby could be seen smirking under their noses or laughing quietly. Still, their good humour is shallow enough to betray nervousness underneath. The atmosphere is quite tense, despite the efforts of some of the Shifter squad to lighten it up.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-19 at 05:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Catríona is standing a little way away from everyone else, looking like she's still trying to fully wake up - going through a set of start-of-day stretches and exercises. Fortunately for her appearance's sake, she's no longer having to stifle yawns: she was asleep after training at a SECT facility relatively nearby, so she's had more time to adjust to the situation than some of the others. She's dressed in blue jeans and a simple black tee, long blonde hair tied back in a simple ponytail.

When the call comes to assemble she obliges, smiling pleasantly at the others. She has in fact seen Laura before, but they've never quite met - she's careful not to stare.

She waves to the others. "Nice to meet you, Miss Ericks, everyone. I'm Catríona. I haven't been in training that long, so I hope I can keep up..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Andy gives Todd a friendly bonk on the head and his smile widens. "Wow, someone woke up with an extra helping of energy today, it seems! Come on, man, we're going to fight for our lives in a few, you probably should try to look a bit more concerned or something!" Andres doesn't seem excessively worried by the "fight for our lives" part, though. He's pretty calm - energetic, even. And he's contagious. He's ready for this. There's a lot of people on the line here - and no hero would ever let them down!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd gives Andy a friendly grin, and raises his fist high into the air.

“Concern?!”

Todd laughs, and pats Andy's back a few times.

“Concern is for those who think there is a chance for defeat! I am... no, we ARE determination in it's rawest form! Of this I am sure! Who ever stand against us has no hope of lasting!”

He holds out his hand and shakes Andy's hand, and calms down a little. The grin, however, is still on his face.

“Nice to meet 'cha though.”
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-19 at 07:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Emi is still half-conscious - she always had trouble waking up, especially when it happens in the middle of the night and they expect you to get ready to move here and now. At least she managed to change into her tan-colored dress and fuchsia jacket (aka, see picture) instead of standing here in her pajamas. And listening to loud music on her iPod (only on one speaker, of course - she wants to actually hear what the others are saying) helps a little - only a little, though, the purple-haired girl still wonders idly if floating bubbles are coming from her head (they don't - that'd be just silly). Emi looks at the others.
    "Hello, everyone. I didn't expect to see so many... energetic people here."

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Cat* smiles at Emi. "Time zones, yeah? I don't suppose we all happened to be conveniently nearby, so no doubt it's not so early in the morning for everyone."

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, are we all based nearby? If we haven't met before I assume we've been working out of different facilities until now, but if SECT is largely European-based I suppose they might all be within a few hours of one another.

* Yeah, following Drascin's lead I'll spare myself and you all having to hunt down special characters.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

"Please, call me Laura..." The older Shifter answers Catriona, then gets suddenly interrupted as another SECT operative arrives and quietly hands her several sheets of paper.
    "Everyone, please listen." She sounds more worried than before. "The SE's course was confirmed - it will arrive here in 25 minutes. No other Shifter groups will manage to reach us before that point of time..." She looks at the operative next to her, who nods before turning and walking away. Laura holds the papers out in your direction. "Please read this - it's an update on the SE, it was made minutes ago. There are copies for everyone."

(The document's text is coming soon! As for time zones, SECT is not Europe-centric - they have operations all over the globe. Your characters could be anywhere at the time of receiving the order, as long as it's sensible that they could arrive in France using any kind of vehicle, including fastest jets, in ~4 hours time. 4 hours from their perspective.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Emi shakes her head. "It is less about the hour and more about monster from a species that was supposedly destroyed five years ago reappearing. And we are supposed to fight it - who would be looking forward to that?"

She takes one of the papers and reads it.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    "Hello, everyone. I didn't expect to see so many... energetic people here."
    Lorne gives Emi a sympathetic look on hearing this.

"It is less about the hour and more about monster from a species that was supposedly destroyed five years ago reappearing. And we are supposed to fight it - who would be looking forward to that?"
    "Agreed. Still...such an anomalous point in the data...it's an opportunity to learn something, at least."

He also takes one of the papers and begins to read.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd leaves Andys side and walks up to Laura to get a copy of one of the papers. Though he only over heard the conversation, he had to some sort of comment.

"Timezone are irrelevant! My energy is mighty and eternal! And even if it's not, those four hour energy drink things are only, like, four bucks..."

He grabs a copy of the paper and starts reading.

17. - Top - End - #17

Cat takes it upon herself to take a few copies of the document and distribute them among the others. She smiles sympathetically at Emi while doing so.

"I know what you mean. Still, better to be thinking positively, right?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

"We're lucky... this SE does not look very scary. We had to fight some very creepy things... it would be hard for a first battle. But - be cautious, okay?" Laura seems relieved. Anxiety in her voice has been replaced by concern.

The report includes a picture taken by an observation plane, as well as a rough sketch made by someone who obviously wasn't an artist:
    Spoiler
    Show

The paper's summary:
    Spoiler
    Show

The first part of the report, which looks like it was quickly added after the rest of the paper was finished already, contains a simulated flightpath of the SE (numbered 01B). It's technical and rather boring to read, but you can figure out that this Shifting Entity's path is roughly straight since it entered atmosphere, and that it indeed should be arriving at your rough position in around 25 minutes. The calculation is precise - there are high chances it will indeed fly over this very parking lot. Also, this part mentions that the SE was first detected in space by the Stork's Nest space station. The earth-based SE that should accompany it (preemptively named SE 01A) was not detected yet.

The second part is about the SE itself. Its main body is featureless and shaped like a seed of rice. Its surface is moderately reflective and has a dark gray color. The spot in the center of the sketch is not a feature of the body, but rather an area of shining red coloration - it can move around the SE's body and even disappear completely and reappear in different places. Since it was focused on the observation plane, the most likely theory is that it's some sort of an eye that SE 01B uses to see. The lower part of the creature ends in about 40 thin tendrils, each ending in something that looks like a cream-colored flower bud. These tendrils have an unknown function - they just float helplessly as the SE moves, with minimal movement on their own. It is likely that they will serve as the SE's weapon.

Rough measurements (anything more precise is impossible at the moment due to the SE's movement and staying Shifted):
    SE main body - 30 meters (100 feet) tall, 12 meters (40 feet) wide
    Tendril - 25 meters (83 feet) long
    "Flower bud" - 2.6 meters (8.7 feet) long, 1.2 meters (4 feet) wide

The SE's behaviour was not unusual for a Shifting Entity - it ignored human beings and nonliving objects alike, even letting manned aircraft observe and follow it for longer periods of time. It stays Shifted all the time.
    Hastily scribbled note: EXTREME HEAT DETECTED WITHIN 01B'S BODY. APPROACH WITH CAUTION!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Interesting..." murmurs Lorne. "Unusual that it is unaccompanied of yet, but..."

Hastily scribbled note: EXTREME HEAT DETECTED WITHIN 01B'S BODY. APPROACH WITH CAUTION!
    "Well, we know this much about its counterpart, whatever it will be: in all likelihood, it will be resistant to heat-based attacks."

((OOC: Can I make Knowledge (probably physical sciences) checks to see if I can pick up any other tactically relevant information from the "boring technical" sections?))
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-19 at 09:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Andrés picks one paper and starts reading it intently, the grin gone from his face to give way to a look of concentration that might be surprising to everyone who expected him to be a total goof all the time.

"Mmmm. Pretty big, ain't he?" he comments, thinking. "And many tentacles. It seems to me trying to attack it from the upside would be a good idea. I mean, I really wouldn't want to get caught in those. Times like these, I'd love for my armor to have a flying surfboard or something, like in anime"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

(Feel free to do it Haven - you never know what else you might discover)

"Yes, it is big. Not as large as some of others..." Laura shivers visibly. Unhappy memories, maybe? She changes the topic.
    "The Commander concocted a plan of action. They will tell us the details soon, I only know that we will ambush the SE. If you stick to the plan, everything should be okay."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-19 at 09:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd over looks the paper, still happy and eager as can be. He listens to Andres and nods his head in agreement. He speaks in a voice that can barely contain his excitement.

“Yeah dude, I agree with you. It wouldn't be a good thing for this to turn into a Lablue situation... So I guess we should try to attack it from above, or find some way to tie up it's tentacles and bring it to the ground for a beating?”

Todd looks over at Laura and asks.

“Hey, how high do these things normally fly off the ground? Or, well, this one? Will we have any trouble getting above it for an attack?”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"It looks like a giant... microbe." Emi blushes slightly. Microbes are not the only thing this SE reminds her of.
    "I think it's better to stay away and attack from a distance, rather than engage it in melee and get burnt to a crisp."

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Cat doesn't know what Todd's talking about. Cat is perfectly happy not knowing.

"Well, I might be able to do something to cool it down. That might help to bring it to the ground.'

25. - Top - End - #25

A rumbling sound can be heard from the distance. And a few seconds later, you can see a red and white sport bike came closing.

The rider parks it near the van. He asks something toward the nearest personnel, and then he walks toward the group. Someone tall, wearing a rather battered leather jacket, and a full-face helmet that covers his entire head.

"Sorry, I'm late" he says, as he removes his helmet. "You thought traffic is bad, and then you realized the complete lack of traffic is just as confusing. Is this the new SECT Team that I'm supposed to join?" He then shook his head to mess with his hair. "Did I miss anything?" he continues as he slowly unequips his leather gloves.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-19 at 10:16 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I could! Uh... uh..."

Todd mutters a couple times, thinking about what he could do.

"I could throw things at it. With great passion!"

Todd looks at the newly joined member as gasps.

"Dude! You get a bike!? Why don't I get a bike?!"
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-19 at 09:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Benjamin Brooks

"Zzzzuh? What?" the other member of the group, who had thus far remained quiet, spoke up as the agent handing out the papers poked him in the forehead. He was dressed in a black t-shirt that read, "Hi! My Name Is Inigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to die!" on a graphic that looked like one of those name stickers, jeans, red Converse sneakers, and a nice, leather jacket without all the excess zippers and metal. He'd been sleeping standing up, leaning against a nearby street lamp that provided light for the little gathering. It was impressive that he'd stayed asleep this long, considering Todd's antics. He blinked blearily a few times until his dark brown, almost black, eyes came into focus and raised a hand to brush some black hair away from his face. His sharp brows furrowed a bit as he seemed to notice the rest of the team for the first time, then he looked down at the data they'd been given.

"Huh...so this is it? The SE..." he said quietly before looking up at the others again. "I'm Ben Brooks. Nice to meet you." he said politely, but grinned when he saw Miss Ericks. "Hey Laura. Fancy meeting you here." he flirted through a yawn.

"Hey, extreme heat?" he noticed the little note on the paper. "That's my shtick. This punk's in my soup." his lip curled a little in annoyance. "Anyway, fire doesn't bother me, so I guess I'll take it head-on and see if he can stand some real heat." he said, crumpling the paper up into a ball and tossing it over his shoulder at a passing agent.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2009-07-19 at 10:03 AM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Cat doesn't know what Todd's talking about. Cat is perfectly happy not knowing.
    Andy, on the other hand, is pretty sure he does, what with being around nerd circles and all, and therefore makes very very sure his face does not reveal that. He focuses on the rest of the conversation.

"Ah, that could be a problem... y'see, I don't have exactly a lot of ranged firepower in the best of circumstances, and around here I lack the material for even what I have. I'm this close to wanting to engage it in melee anyway..." he notices the newcomer.

"Ah, welcome! Yes, you missed quite a bit - you're lucky they don't dock points here!" his smile makes obvious he's joking and being nice. "I'm Andy. Here, you should probably read this, it's about the thing" he affably hands him his own piece of paper.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

"Ah, yes..." The young woman looks surprised that someone addresses her directly. "Not all of SEs could fly, but they usually just floated a few feet above the ground. Some were flying higher, I don't know about this one..."
    Although if you take a closer look at the picture provided, it seems this Shifting Entity is high in the air. Or at least was when the photograph was taken.

Then the new squad member arrives on his bike. Nobody tried to stop him so he's obviously at the right place.
    "Umm... yes, here..." Perhaps surprised by the sudden appearance, and definitely embarassed by Ben's straightforwardness, Laura can only hand out a paper in James's general direction. Andy's faster than her though.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Even more people are appearing, and all of them seem suicidally overconfident. This only gets better and better.
    "If you need help with flying, I think I can give you a hand.", says Emi, to nobody in particular. At least she's not so sleepy anymore.

Spoiler
    Show