New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe [M&M 2nd ed]

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "Hey, Cat, you know, it's not nice, here I am trying my best to make you all laugh or at least chuckle a bit to relax after we fought for our lives, and here you are trying not to laugh. C'mon, no fair!"
    At this, Cat does laugh, lightly and briefly. It switches off like a light, though, and she frowns.

"I don't know where I'm headed, actually. I wasn't at home earlier, I've been at a training camp in Marseilles. Don't know if they expect me to go back there first, or if they'll have sent my stuff home ahead..."

She yawns, and takes a seat beside Emi.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben walked into view ahead of Lorne, still looking pretty pissed off. When some of the passersby started to avoid coming too close because of the heat he was giving off, he finally reached up and touched his fist to his chest. Then he flung that arm out wide and his armor suddenly fragmented, glowing red-hot along the lines of separation. Each segmented piece seemed to loosen before increasing to white hot and then seemingly evaporating before your very eyes. Ben was left in the same clothes he'd been wearing earlier. He ran a hand through his hair while his amplifier let off a small cloud of smoke and deactivated.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

Two days later. It's about noon, you are aboard a transport helicopter flying over the North Sea, off the coast of Germany. Your personal belongings are safely packed in the back of the chopper - nobody complained no matter how many of them did you bring with yourself, there was enough place even for James' bike.
    Your pilot makes sure the trip isn't monotonous. She sounds like Chuck Yeager if he was a woman - and a talkative one to that.
    "I hear you ran into the old squad at your first mission. Bad luck to meet Devon so early - I bet she was all 'I like to talk about pseudo-existentialist crap, and I am also better than you.' Poor Laura. Out of all her teammates, Devon must have survived and everyone else died. I hear she fainted from power overdose. That's normal for her PSA - the first time she rewrote reality, she almost died. But then, she used that power on herself at that time." This sentence sounded different, almost shifty - like if the pilot wanted to tell you a juicy rumor.
    "We'll be arriving soon. Take a good look, you can see HQ now."

You lost sight of the coast (be it German, or any other else) long ago, but now you see new land - an island! It is pretty small, about ten by six kilometers. As you fly closer, you can notice more details. Its shoreline are mostly moderately high cliffs, although one side has a port with several small vessels docked. Most of the island is left wild, with even trees standing in loose groups here and there, but you cannot miss a large gathering of buildings, all placed near the highest cliffside. They look modern, with glass and metal used in construction as much as concrete, but there are also many fortifications - the new headquarters of SECT, set in a remote and therefore safe location. Your new home, at least for a while.

The helicopter heads towards a landing pad situated near a tall tower-like structure. It should land in a while.

(If you wanted to do something before the timeskip, then you can freely post about it like if the timeskip didn't happen yet)

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

As per his usual, it seemed, Ben was sitting in the back of the helicopter fast asleep. It was amazing that he could sleep with all the noise the rotors made. Even the earplugs and headsets that had been provided didn't do much to dampen it. The sound was like having an endless freight train going by your head. Still, it seemed like the boy could probably sleep through a parade with a full marching band going by under his window if he put his mind to it. He had a talent for just nodding right off whenever they had any downtime. It was an enviable ability, since they hadn't had much time to really get any sack time with all the moving around and debriefing they'd been doing. He didn't even snore. He just let his chin fall to his chest and he was out like a light in a thunderstorm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to have Ben sleep for the rest of the trip then sleepwalk inside following the flow. I, myself, am also going to bed as it's 2:30AM on the Pacific Coast. I'll be back six to eight hours from now to catch up.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Andy, on the other hand, is quite interested in the travel, and has even put aside his handheld (which is probably whichever console Nintendo came up with after the DS) to look through the windows and chatter with the others. His pack is quite small - just stuff to entertain himself and clothes changes, because he really doesn't have many needs apart from that. And even those don't take much, given the advent of ebook readers and the very simple clothes he uses .

"Aw, an island? ...Well, I guess it makes sense. It gives our unit that superhero base feel, too, which I have to say is pretty cool. Well, it rather looks like a supervillain's lair, but after all the supervillains are usually the ones who pay attention to security measures, so that's fine by me" he jokes.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

"It's much cooler than the previous HQ." The pilot answers. How can you communicate so easily with each other despite the rotor's noise? Headsets, of course.
    "That one was mostly underground. This one has an underground section as well, but the overground is quite a thing to look at. Triumph of modern architecture."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

It was obvious Todd was quite tired, however he wasn't able to fall asleep. The noise, mixed with the inability to actually lay down made it damn near impossible for him to.

"So, uh, hey? What about all the stuff at our homes and stuff? I mean, sure, all I had was one small room where I lived but I had some nice stuff there. What gonna happen to that?"

Todd strokes his chin like an evil mastermind.

"Oh, and if anyone thinks these chairs are too hard they are more then welcome to sit on my lap. Just putting that nce in a life time offer out there!"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

"You didn't take it with yourself? If it was a room in SECT building then I think someone emptied it out already and sent all your stuff in a package to your new room in the HQ. If it didn't arrive already, it should in a few days."
    "Or you can tell someone to go back to your home and ship some stuff here. I hear Laura Ericks did just that. She was transported straight here from after your mission two days ago, not to her living place."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, no. It's fine, I guess it just didn't get here yet. I was just confused as to how the hell it all worked, it all."

10. - Top - End - #220

Cat dozes. She has but one suitcase of clothing, mostly due to her father doing the take-this-what-if-you-need-it routine, and a carry-on with a few personal and peripheral belongings. She blinks sleepily and lifts her head to look out the window as the chatter rouses her.

"Looks good to me," she yawns. Then she grins. "Which is hardly surprising. But there's plenty of rock for you to throw around, even if it is an island, right?" This last, of course, is directed at Andy.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, yeah. It's just, never been much for the sea. Always preferred swimming pools. Plus, you know, there's the fact that a misjump in here during training and I'm going to have to climb all the way back from the bottom of the sea" he laughs.

((Gonna be absent for all the afternoon today, as I have an IRL game so don't expect much answering from me))
    Last edited by Drascin; 2009-07-24 at 07:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222

"Don't worry, I can always pluck you out. Just make sure to stay on my good side."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, so are there training grounds at this place? I know the whole 'Try not to use PSA' things and all, but I haven't exactly logged much fight time in the Green Wizard so... yeah."
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-24 at 07:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Emi probably took the most stuff with herself - she brought almost all the contents of her room, apart from the furniture, with the case holding her guitar as the most prized possession. Her outfit is different this time - a creme-colored sweater and a blue jean dress, its chest pocket containing her iPod - she concentrates on listening to classic rock (and jRock) rather than participating in the conversations. She feels good - finally a new beginning, away from the toxic atmosphere at home!
    "There probably are - where else do they expect us to hone our abilities?", Emi answers Todd's question. She says nothing about his previous offer - that was just too silly.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ahhh, yeah. True."

Todd laughs a little and then looks at everyone in the helecopter.

"So! Who wants to be the first person to spare with the Todd man?!"
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-24 at 08:49 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

"Hold your horses. I hear there won't be a lot of opportunity for your PSAs to get sweaty." Your pilot clicks a button on her console, and starts talking with flight control on the ground. Simultaneously with the current discussion.
    "Receiving transmission. All clear, Pineapple Three ready to land. But don't listen to me, I'm not the commander. Pineapple, what kind of callsign is that? I hope not to die from pineapple-related deaths. Flight control, please disregard that statement."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine by me. I am not a fight-crazy Shonen anime character."
    Emi looks into the window - start and landing are the best parts of a flight.
    Unlike some other people here...

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd shrugs his shoulders and makes a rude off hand remark.

"Yeah, your more of the "Sits in the corner and offers little in a fight" anime type of character. Like Sakura! Or Puck! Just, you know, a little more emo about it."
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-24 at 09:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229

"It would be good to get the opportunity to train, though. I'd rather not get all my practice with my armour while my life is on the line..." Cat offers absently, looking out the window. When Todd speaks, her head snaps around to stare at him, but she says nothing.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, excuse me for being a normal human being instead of an emotionless fighting machine. That was my first real combat, how did you expect me to act? And... you were occupied with the SE so much that you completely ignored the MSASes and the buds that went after them. If I didn't do anything about them, those people would be dead."
    Emi folds her arms. She looks offended.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

"Emotionless!?"

Todd is grinning. He seems to enjoy arguing, though not nearly as much as a good fashion brawl.

"When I fight, I fight with emotion! Rage, sorrow, love, PASSION! What I do not fight with though, is regret. What I do not fight with is hesitation."

Todd nods his head, and looks deep into your eyes. His eye burn with the fires of youth!

"And I assure you, I felt it when it when they were hurt! Each one of there wounds struck me deep in my soul, and I bled! I bled fury and determination!"

His voice becomes low, yet still retains all of it's fire.

"And after the battle, I did not fall from these wounds. I did not weep in a corner, nor did I ball myself up and hide from the world. I went to the man who was so willing to sacrifice his life for humanity, and I congratulated him. As you should have done."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Emi looks away - she doesn't like staring contests.
    "Okay, then you feel emotions, if only from the 'uber hot blooded macho' category. Fine if that works for you, I don't care. But not everyone is like that! People have the right to be afraid, to feel regret."
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-07-24 at 11:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd nods.

"No, your right. Fear and regret is rather... foreign to me. And yeah you're right, there's nothing with it. However, do you know what is wrong?"

Todd points his two fingers at you, the grin fading from his face. He looks right at you, even though you avoid his gaze you can still feel his eyes on you.

"Being timid. I want to explain something to me, and if you have guts to look me eyes while you tell me. Why did you go off in a corner and weep when the people who bled for us were writhing in pain?"

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"Leave her alone, Todd." Ben spoke up, interrupting the caffeinated wonder's speech. It seemed that he had just woke up now that they were on the final approach to the island. "Don't you have better things to do than pick on a girl for acting like a human being during her first exposure to violence? Are you really that low?" he asked pointedly, his eyes narrowing at the other kid. He was getting more and more peeved by Todd's lack of connection to reality. He seemed to think that this entire experience was some game or a comic book. It wasn't just him, either. "Saving the world" wasn't some glamorous thing that they threw parades for. Even Devon and her lone ranger thing pissed him off. Todd was just the loudest of the bunch and hence was deserving of the most scorn at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"Agreed," said Lorne, looking up from a book. "Fighting...is not something that should come naturally to anyone."
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Leave her alone, Todd." Ben spoke up, interrupting the caffeinated wonder's speech. It seemed that he had just woke up now that they were on the final approach to the island. "Don't you have better things to do than pick on a girl for acting like a human being during her first exposure to violence? Are you really that low?" he asked pointedly, his eyes narrowing at the other kid. He was getting more and more peeved by Todd's lack of connection to reality. He seemed to think that this entire experience was some game or a comic book. It wasn't just him, either. "Saving the world" wasn't some glamorous thing that they threw parades for. Even Devon and her lone ranger thing pissed him off. Todd was just the loudest of the bunch and hence was deserving of the most scorn at the moment.
    "Tch, fine. I'll quit it, for now at least. Just so long as she doesn't go crying in a corner again I'll keep my trap shut."

Todd stops pointing at Emi and leans back.

"Agreed," said Lorne, looking up from a book. "Fighting...is not something that should come naturally to anyone."
    "I dunno, other then fear I can't really think of anything that's more natural then fighting. Fight or flight and all that."
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-24 at 01:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

"I... wasn't crying."
    Emi doesn't say anything else. The guys handled this pretty well (she remembers to thank them later), and this conversation stressed her enough already.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

Cat just watches the exchange. Though there's no warmth in the look with which she studies Todd, nor does she make any move to defend Emi.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matar View Post
    "I dunno, other then fear I can't really think of anything that's natural then fighting. Fight and flight and all that."
    "Well," Lorne's tone quickly goes from confrontational to academic, it may be natural, but it shouldn't come naturally. If it weren't for the SEs, the only outlet for that would be to hurt other people.

Besides which, the flight-or-fight response is generally an obsolete technique, I believe. It complicates everyday life, narrowing our options to only those two in situations where it wouldn't be appropriate. Even in combat it takes more than raw adrenaline to win a fight. You have to understand your opponent, and use tactics, and stay cool. That's what put humans on top of the food chain, no matter how the SEs have tried to knock us off."
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

"I don't want to interrupt any squabbles here, but the trip's over. Security procedures finished, proceeding with the landing sequence. The local time is 12:06 and we're arriving at Helipad A, SECT Headquarters. Make sure you do not leave any baggage in the vehicle. Thank you for choosing SECT Airlines." The pilot pretends she's a commercial airplane captain.

The landing is relatively gentle. There is a group of about twenty people waiting for you at the pad - most importantly, Richard Clayton himself!
    "Welcome to Seeberg Island! I am glad you arrived safely. First things first." As soon as you leave the chopper, each one of you is approached by a SECT member. They wear uniforms, but look rather laidback and casual, in contrast of the mission's nervousness. You receive an ID badge and some kind of an electronic card.
    "Make sure to wear the ID all times - there are security checkpoints all over the HQ. Your keycard grants you level three access, out of five. That's quite high, so try not to lose it, and if you do then tell a security officer immediately." The commander looks happy that he can dump all that information on you. "Ladies and gentlemen, let's proceed to your quarters. I will explain everything during the way there." A horde of assistants moves towards the helicopter to grab your baggage. The whole group walks away from the helipad, towards a nearby... monorail station!
    "The headquarters are large, the size of a small town. Over eight thousand people work here, so we need transportation quicker than our own feet." Explaining, Clayton enters the monorail and gestures towards you to do the same. The assistants however load your luggage on some kind of a truck-like vehicle.
    "Let me explain a few basics rules to you. There will not be a lot of them - this is not military, unlike what some might think. You will be able to do whatever you want with your free time, even depart for the mainland if you wish to. Just do not forget two most important regulations. First: you should be always ready for an SE alert. When a Shifting Entity is detected, you must listen to all orders given - many lives are at stake so I trust for your cooperation. Second: anything that happens here is classified for the outside world unless otherwise noted. That includes everything that happened on your first mission and any subsequent ones. You cannot mention even the smallest details to people outside SECT, not even your friends or family. These two rules should be taken seriously - if you break them, there will be severe consequences." The commander really looks serious for a moment. He stays silent as various buildings move outside the monorail car you are in. But then, he lightens up just as quick.
    "Well, with that out of the way we can move to matters that are less grave. Your quarters are in the underground section. That doesn't mean you should stay underground all the time, to the contrary - feel free to wander around. This is just for your security. Even excluding your baggage there should be enough equipment in each room to live comfortably, but if you find yourself wanting a new piece of furniture or anything like that, inform the supply manager and it will be delivered to your room. There are maps all over HQ, but if you get lost then ask a guard for directions - do not worry, it can happen until you get used to the whole place. Cafeterias are set up in many places, so hunger should not be a problem."
    "Your team will have an hour of physical exercises each day at 9 AM. It is important to stay active and healthy, and the supervisor is someone you had a chance to meet already - so do not skip, alright? There will be PSA training every Saturday. It will be focused on pushing the limits of remaining in the armor without significant exhaustion, but we may let you practice your combat abilities as well, just be careful not to get injured."
    The monorail stops! Leaving it, you find yourself near an entrance to the underground complex. It is low, wide and looks just like you'd expect an underground base entrance to look like - with a security check point in front for protection, and two larger buildings surrounding it so that it's not easily visible from air.
    "Finally, after some consultations we have decided that, even if you might have vacation time now, Shifters are the best humanity has to offer and therefore you should respond to a higher standard. SECT has hired tutors - there's just enough of you for a small class. It starts tomorrow, just like physical exercises. Your rooms should have timeplans of your classes, as well as maps and lists of security regulations. Your baggage should arrive here soon - the staff knows about your assigned accomodations, so ask them on which room each of you have been assigned to."
    Commander Richard Clayton clears his throat.
    "I officially welcome you as new operatives of the Shifting Entity Crisis Team, stationed in SECT headquarters on Seeberg Island, territorial waters of Germany, starting today!" He salutes, but he's not the only one - a platoon's size of operatives, who were earlier hiding in and around the underground passage, have emerged from their hiding place just a few seconds earlier, and now salute you as well.
    "Make sure to ask me if there is anything I can help with. Now, or contact me later if any further questions cross your mind." He stretches his hand out, offering each one of you a handshake - his hand feels strong and more energetic than you'd expect of someone his age, and the shake is equally strong and confident for the male portion of the Shifter squad, but gentle for the girls.

At least for those of you who decide to accept the handshake, that is.

(I forgot one important detail - do you have amplifiers with yourself? The answer is no.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-24 at 02:05 PM.