New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

frown Hammerfight Problems

Hey guys! I've begun playing this new game called Hammerfight. It's a pretty cool game, and it's got really low system requirements:

OS:Windows 98SE / ME / XP / Vista* Processor: Athlon / Pentium III 2 GHz* Memory: 256 Mb* Graphics: DirectX 8.0 compatible with 64 Mb VRAM* DirectX®: 8.0* Hard Drive: 150 Mb* Sound: DirectX 8.0 compatible

Now, I've met and surpassed these system requirements, but I'm having MONSTROUS slowdowns when I play the game. I have a 9800 GT video card, 2GB of ram, and an Intel Dual Core processor. Also, I am currently using Windows XP as my OS. My friend who's PC has lower specs than mine is able to run this game flawlessly with almost no lag. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Hammerfight Problems

I dunno. Maybe your friend is running it on lower specs for lag-free experience? Maybe your friend happens to have one thing faster than you (e.g. the processor), that is the bottleneck factor? Otherwise, maybe a virus/worm might have crawled into your PC and is slowing everything down.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, according to him he has all the settings at max. Also, I've already tried lowering the graphics settings but I'm still lagging. I'm not sure about his processor though, I'll have to ask him when I get home. I hope it isn't a worm/virus, although I already have the sinking feeling that it is. Ugh.
    Last edited by Razaele; 2009-12-04 at 03:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Have you optimised your system resources by turning off all unnecessary services and background applications?

Have you updated your video drivers recently? If you have and you're still getting slowdown issues, have you tried reverting back a few versions?

There's an odd quirk where the latest video drivers aren't actually the best to use, especially if you have an older system.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I've tried turning off all background applications before playing. It helped a little, but the lag is still massive. As for my video drivers, I'm running on the latest version of Direct X 9.0c, and I'm on Windows XP. Hmm. I guess I'll try downgrading my video drivers. Thanks for the suggestion!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

if its over the net make sure you have every port that it needs opened and you dont have a firewall blocking the actual game. Apart from that it sounds like a graphics card problem.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Given those specs, I assume its an older game? Because with older titles, its not uncommon for there to be severe lag under newer hardware, due to the two things speaking more or less different languages.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, it's an offline game. And no, it's a pretty new game. It got released on steam sometime during November. If it is a graphics card problem, what can I do about it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razaele View Post
    No, it's an offline game. And no, it's a pretty new game. It got released on steam sometime during November. If it is a graphics card problem, what can I do about it?
    Update your drivers? You might also try setting the game's process to only have affinity with a single core of your computer, as it could be a threading issue.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. Well, I've already tried checking if my drivers were updated, and they were so I'm guessing the problem isn't there. As for setting the game's process to only have affinity with a single core of my computer, could you please elaborate on how to do this?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I've tried the game and while the gameplay is adequate, the lack of any sort of documentation explaining the game mechanics or any of the backstory made me uninstall it at the caravan part.

That said, it seemed to run fine on my system which is about on par with yours. Are you running the game in windowed or full screen mode?

Edit:

A quick google check shows the following:

Start the program, then open up the Task Manager
    Right click on the Application then Set Affinity
    Make sure only CPU 0 is selected
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2009-12-05 at 03:12 PM.