New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40k III - Hats for the Hat Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    I miss the time Salamanders had 3 I and cheaper mastercrafted weapons.
    And Chaplains had Thunder Hammers for free. Sergeants could have Signums...Yes. I <heart> the Salamanders too. Originally it was because they were mean and green (and I love Orks). Now it's because all my Marines are green and I'm not repainting them.

/disappointment at Generic Marines.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ...In that case, don't bother with the Regimental Standard, since it only works when it's actually on the board.

I thought it would still count inside the Chimmy? Ah, well. Extra points. ^_^

Keep in mind that Tank Shock rarely works against any decent army. It just moves them out of the way. Make sure that your Tank doesn't end it's movement blocking line of sight from your Linesmen so they can shoot at them.
    (I never rely on Tank Shock to help me with anything. Because it has repeatedly failed. So, my thoughts on the matter aren't very comprehensive)

I don't try to Tank Shock thier squads, you wait until thier in combat, then TS through the middle, (along the line of assault), and your squad and the enemy get split apart by a block of armour. Admittedly if they have a powerfist or Melta's it's the end of your tank.

Only if you use Combine Squads. Remember that part.

Oh. >.>

That FR,F!SR,F! was an afterthought. Like a bonus. They don't all have to be in range. Just...A lot of them. You don't have to optimise every single thing you do (although it does help). The difference between say...80 Lasgun shots and a Heavy Weapon Squad, is that, you (should) have another whole platoon of where those lasguns came from.

More lasguns the better, plus it leaves the Plasmas' out of range (If still taken, though it would be a point suck at that point.)

Heavy Weapons need to pick their targets. And every shot not killing something that a regular lasgun couldn't kill (a tank) is a shot wasted. You can't 'waste' lasguns. And if you somehow manage to do so, you clearly don't have enough lasguns.

That's the point in having so many squads. Lasgun-related death, even for Terminators!

But, the amount of men (50) is not to shoot lasguns. The goal is to have loads of bodies in the way so you can actually get into assault, and, maybe even win. If you're going to Assault, you have to remember that you're a Guardsman, and you suck at it. The only way to win Assault is with numbers.
    Or, by softening the target with Blast Templates, Multiple Pinning checks and Ordnance.

Assault is more of an afterthought, the volley of 3 lasguns a piece for 9 troopers, plus whatever other squads get the Order can do damage to anything closing for Assault, leaving it vunerable when it charges one squad for the rest to close with it after and get the +1 Attack.

A squad with 5 'nade Launchers, backed up by a Heavy Weapon Team (the only kind of Heavy Weapon Team I support) of Mortars has no problem getting into assault. Being backed up by Ratlings is just icing.

I'm considering a few Grenade Launchers, now. One Platoon of Plassie, the other Launchers.

Storm Troopers don't need a Vendetta. They Infiltrate or Deep Strike for free. I'm also pretty sure that STs don't get their Airborne Assault bonus if they Grav Chute out. But, I'll check that, since the wording says that they might be able to - but I infiltrate mine (for the pinning checks), and so far haven't been impressed by the Valkyrie, so I haven't worried about it yet. Also, Grav Chuting also has the distinct possibility of killing you all far more easily than regular Deep Striking.

I suppose not, but I just like having them in it, so that they take the fire away from the single Vendetta, and lend support in thier role. (Fly out, land so that they bail out with a line of sight, but the Gunship stays behind cover, and hopefully taking out an expensive squad ( Armour 3+ one, obviously) before biting it and letting the Vendetta make it to round 2 for second tank-pickings.)

I think we just have differing stratagems, really.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The main problem with heavy weapons squads is that every second (unsaved) wound removes something important, or EVERY wound from something S6+, whereas the same weapons in infantry squads require at LEAST 9 wounds to remove it (although, admittedly, they might run sooner).

The reason that mortar squads are so awesome is simply the fact that you can hide them, and they still do their work.
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

So, I have a lot of free time this weekend... anyone up for more vassal games? I might even do a little report.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I have a lot of free time this weekend... anyone up for more vassal games? I might even do a little report.
    I will! ...at what time? (Not in the next... 16 hours. I need sleep/work.)
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Hmm. 16 hours from now would mean 4AM over here. So, that's not really an ideal time A little later, then.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #37

Hmm. 16 hours from now would mean 4AM over here. So, that's not really an ideal time A little later, then.
    I know. It's 6:30 AM here. But I work from 6 - 3 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Salamanders follow the Triad of Bolter, Melta and Flamer. But, obviously, Razorbacks can't have Meltas.
    The FrogWorld have rules in IA:2, now available for free, for MM razors:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/ia2-update.pdf
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I've made the dive and purchased a small army.

This has led to the odd coindidence of several of my co-workers on the ship noticing my figurines and deciding to get into the game once we pull back into port. Two of them are going to get basic sets, for the Tau and Tyranid armies, and probably not much more. I'm considering getting the Assault on Black Reach set for variety and to allow others to play.

The thing I'm wrestling with right now is this: as the only person purchasing a set piecemeal, how much stuff should I get in order to match the starting kits for the other guys? And is two-on-one play remotely feasible, with the lone player having a larger army?
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
    Alright, I've made the dive and purchased a small army.

This has led to the odd coindidence of several of my co-workers on the ship noticing my figurines and deciding to get into the game once we pull back into port. Two of them are going to get basic sets, for the Tau and Tyranid armies, and probably not much more. I'm considering getting the Assault on Black Reach set for variety and to allow others to play.

The thing I'm wrestling with right now is this: as the only person purchasing a set piecemeal, how much stuff should I get in order to match the starting kits for the other guys? And is two-on-one play remotely feasible, with the lone player having a larger army?
    Depends on the set. If we're talking about the 90 US$ battalion sets, then the Tau are the only ones I'm aware of that have the mandatory 1 HQ and 2 Troop selections (this info is in the codex, which you're going to need for each army). That's generally where you should start when building an army. For much else you're going to need to know about how many points each army is. Usually 750 makes for a good short game.

In my experience a 3 player game really only works as a 2 on 1. In a 1v1v1 what almost always happens is two players gang up on the other and then duke it out among themselves. Doesn't make for a very good game.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The thing I'm wrestling with right now is this: as the only person purchasing a set piecemeal, how much stuff should I get in order to match the starting kits for the other guys?
    I have no idea about the other starting kits, but I can tell you what the Chaos kit contains - if the contents are similar for different races, that might give you some idea.
    The Chaos kit has:
    15 regular Chaos Marines - 225 points, with the equipment options probably about 300.
    8 Khorne Berzerkers - 168 points, with options probably about 200.
    5 Possessed Marines - 130 points, with options probably about 150.
    1 Rhino - 35 points, with options probably about 50.
    This is no legal army, as it still requires a leader who would have to be bought seperately and would probably cost about 100-200 points.

So the kit would contain about 700 points, the leader might bring this to 800-900.

As I said, not sure if it's similar for other races though.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Whats a vassal game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a way to play 40k online on a 2d, virtual tabletop. It comes with sprites for the models, but does not include the rules/army lists.

http://www.vassal40k.com/

Sadly, however, the maker of vassal 40k has received a cease and desist order, so he will not be able to update it anymore. The servers will still be up, though, so download the module while you can so you can play.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    This is no legal army, as it still requires a leader who would have to be bought seperately and would probably cost about 100-200 points.
    Or. a plain Chaos Champion from the CSM box can be done up as impressively as possible to do duty as a Chaos Lord.

It might look a bit under-impressive- but it is an option- CSM codex shows some heavily converted models where the base is a plastic Chaos Marine, so the model may be good enough to make a passable Lord on its own.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire15 View Post
    It's a way to play 40k online on a 2d, virtual tabletop. It comes with sprites for the models, but does not include the rules/army lists.

http://www.vassal40k.com/

Sadly, however, the maker of vassal 40k has received a cease and desist order, so he will not be able to update it anymore. The servers will still be up, though, so download the module while you can so you can play.
    ...That is amazing. I'll download it now, haven't played in about 2 editions so it'll take awhile to write a new army list up, but I'll be sure to come back and play a game soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Or. a plain Chaos Champion from the CSM box can be done up as impressively as possible to do duty as a Chaos Lord.

It might look a bit under-impressive- but it is an option- CSM codex shows some heavily converted models where the base is a plastic Chaos Marine, so the model may be good enough to make a passable Lord on its own.
    Er, right... I was going to mention that option, but completely forgot to write it.
    Though doing that would, I think, leave you with rather few parts if you wanted to additionally include actual Champions.

Not that it matters, of course, as by my understanding nobody in Zincorium's group was going to play Chaos anyway.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-25 at 02:58 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Erm, to clarify, I am the only one who won't be buying a boxed set, as I've already purchased a daemon prince, one each of thousand sons, berzerkers, and regular marines plus a rhino and obliterators. Everyone else is using a boxed set*. I am getting the impression that since my stuff is more expensive points-wise I may not even need all of it.

It was brought up that only the Tau starter set comes playable as-is... What do the others need? Specifically Tyranids?

Additionally, the Assault on Black reach set, where is it in comparison? I'm considered the 'resident expert' and I know nowhere near enough about any of the other factions to qualify as such.

*Everyone else plans on doing so. I would have to be pretty convincing for them to do otherwise considering how much stuff can cost.
    Last edited by Zincorium; 2009-07-25 at 03:04 PM.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, looking at it, the Tyranids also come ready to play (Warriors are an Elite or an HQ choice). Better HQs exist, but it could be done.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Erm, to clarify, I am the only one who won't be buying a boxed set, as I've already purchased a daemon prince, one each of thousand sons, berzerkers, and regular marines plus a rhino and obliterators. Everyone else is using a boxed set*. I am getting the impression that since my stuff is more expensive points-wise I may not even need all of it.

It was brought up that only the Tau starter set comes playable as-is... What do the others need? Specifically Tyranids?

Additionally, the Assault on Black reach set, where is it in comparison? I'm considered the 'resident expert' and I know nowhere near enough about any of the other factions to qualify as such.

*Everyone else plans on doing so. I would have to be pretty convincing for them to do otherwise considering how much stuff can cost.
    You've got substantially more points than anyone that's using just the box set: 1 HQ, 3 Troops, 1 or 2 Heavy Support. Off the top of my head I think you've got over 1000 points right there.

Looking at the Tyranids set, I think it might be legal out of the box (I think Warriors are HQ and there's enough gaunts for 2 Troops). The others tend to either need an HQ or another Troop choice. They're not particularly effective armies out of the box, but they're perfectly playable.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, that was clear - I merely intended to give you an idea of what such an intro box contains, on the hope that it's similar for different races.

Okay, let's see...
    According to Games Workshop's homepage, that intro box contains:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contents: 1 Tyranid Warrior Brood (includes 3 Tyranid Warriors), 1 Tyranid Hormagaunt Brood (includes 8 Hormagaunts), 1 Tyranid Carnifex, 1 Tyranid Termagants Brood (includes 8 Termagants), 1 Tyranid Genestealer Brood (includes 8 Genestealers).
    Hmmm... actually, that's a legal army. The Warrior Brood is a legit HQ choice, and with the termagaunts, hormagaunts and genestealers, that's even 3 Troops. And each brood is big enough to be legal, if barely.
    I'm not sure how effective this would be, but it sure works.

EDIT: Groan... double-ninja'd. >_<

What do you mean? It contains slightly less Marines than a battleforce box for Space Marines would contain (and the Space Marine force is not legal, lacking a Troop choice), same for the Orks, but together they count a fair bit more than a single box.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-07-25 at 03:24 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    What do you mean? It contains slightly less Marines than a battleforce box for Space Marines would contain (and the Space Marine force is not legal, lacking a Standard), same for the Orks, but together they count a fair bit more than a single box.
    Black Reach is still an excellent starter for a Marine player. The only thing it lacks is a second troop. But each starting force in that box on their own amount for to the cost of the box. I think a set of marines in that composition would run about 145 $US.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Also it comes with a rulebook. Which is normally like $55. Yeah....
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be even better if you can find someone else that also bought it and wants the orks. Then you could trade someone the orks for the space marines.

Anyways, I've been working on a Mechanized IG list. Here's what I've got so far.

Spoiler
    Show

HQ: Company Command Squad
    2x Plasma or Melta (depending on the opponent)
    1x Heavy flamer
    1x Power Fist and Plasma Pistol
    2x Bodyguards
    Krak Grenades and Carapace Armor
    a Chimera with a turret mounted Heavy Flamer and extra armor.
    Total: 235 points

Elites: Guardsman Marbo: 65

Troops: 2 Veteran Squads with: 2x Plasmas or Meltas, a Heavy Flamer, Carapace Armor, a Plasma Pistol and a Chimera with a turret mounted Heavy Flamer and Extra Armor.

Fast Attack:
    A Vendetta without any mods.

HS:
    Leman Russ Vanquisher with a Hull-mounted Lascannon, HB Sponsons, a Pintle-mounted Stormbolter and Extra Armor with Knight Commander Pask.

2x Leman Russ Battle Tank with a Hull-mounted Heavy Flamer, HB Sponsons, a pintle-mounted Stormbolter and Extra Armor.

This should roughly come to 1600 points or so. Cutting Guardsman Marbo and a few options should let me fit it in 1500 points. Cutting a Leman Russ for a Veteran Squad could also work.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The starter box is quite excellent yes. If you want to start marines: Get the box and a box of Tac Marine Squad, and you got a quite good base. If you want to start Orks, get a box of your chosing (I would recommend Nobs), and perhaps some more boyz, and you're set to go... and the best part is, as has been said, the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Anyways, I've been working on a Mechanized IG list. Here's what I've got so far.

Spoiler
    Show

HQ: Company Command Squad
    1x Heavy flamer
    2x Bodyguards

Elites: Guardsman Marbo: 65

Troops: 2 Veteran Squads with: 2x Plasmas or Meltas, a Heavy Flamer, Carapace Armor, a Plasma Pistol and a Chimera with a turret mounted Heavy Flamer and Extra Armor.

Fast Attack:

HS:
    Leman Russ Vanquisher with a Hull-mounted Lascannon, HB Sponsons, a Pintle-mounted Stormbolter and Extra Armor with Knight Commander Pask.

2x Leman Russ Battle Tank with a Hull-mounted Heavy Flamer, HB Sponsons, a pintle-mounted Stormbolter and Extra Armor.

This should roughly come to 1600 points or so. Cutting Guardsman Marbo and a few options should let me fit it in 1500 points. Cutting a Leman Russ for a Veteran Squad could also work.

Where to start...

1. Specialize your squads. Having both flamers (for light/medium infantry) and plasma (for heavy infantry/light tanks) or Meltas (for tanks) might seem like a good idea, but it aint. The jack of all trades unit will be beaten by something that's specialized almost as easily as something that's "wrongly" specialized.

2) You could probably cut down on your command squad. Why the Krak grenades, for a starter? I can understand the carapace, but I would probably be prepared to cut it all the same...

3) Extra Armour. Yes, it's nifty, but not for the price you pay. Skip it, get more units instead.

4) Only two squads of veterans? They'll get plastered. Get at least one more, preferably two. Especially so if you're aiming at 1500 pts (as a rule of thumb, have at least one scoring unit for every 500pts, more if they're squishy (and guard are)).

5) Why the storm bolters on the Russes? To me, at least, those are wasted points, it does way to little for the price. Also, the sponsoons on the Vanquisher probalby won't do all that much good. You want it firing at tanks all the time, and then HB won't do much (and Storm bolters even less)

I think that's all I can think off...
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll have a go Penguin. Keep in mind that I don't like Mechanised since points on Chimeras can be better spent on MOAR MEN!

[spoiler]
    Company Command Squad
    1x Heavy flamer
    2x Bodyguards
    Okay...You've gone all out and taken everything. Which isn't a very good idea. If your idea is getting close and personal, drop both the plasmas and meltas and go for double Flamers + Heavy Flamer. Otherwise, drop the Heavy Flamer. Drop the Krak Grenades. Plasmaguns and Meltaguns are both better at it. Unless you go for double flamers, in which case you have points for Meltabombs. Drop the Plasma Pistol too. It's more wasted points. With it's Pistol range, you're probably not going to get off more than one round of shooting before the enemy closes for assault. And, if you're especially unlucky, the plasma pistol will blow up in your face. A Medic is also a good choice for 'Heavy HQs'. If you're spending that many points on your HQ, you want them alive.
    Drop the Power Fist on your Officer, give him a Power Weapon. You don't want your Officer going last. But, most decent assault units will have Initiative 5. Leaving you to get killed anyway. Make points for a Priest with Eviscerator (which, going through this list, you can do). If you're going into combat, you may as well do it right.
    ...I'm not a fan of Short-range weapons on Transport vehicles. Double Heavy Bolter on a Chimera is much better at killing troops than a Heavy Flamer/Bolter combo will ever be. Multi-lasers are effective against Orks, 'Nids and other Guard. Sometimes Eldar.

Guardsman Marbo: 65
    The second most overpowered SC the Guard have. If he can't take out a unit of Terminators all on his own, in one turn, then you've done something wrong. How long he lives after said POP-BANG! is up to you. I've had him live a whole game since he's pretty good in assault too.

2 Veteran Squads with: 2x Plasmas or Meltas, a Heavy Flamer, Carapace Armor, a Plasma Pistol and a Chimera with a turret mounted Heavy Flamer and Extra Armor.
    ...This is a 1500 point list...And you have 20 linesmen? That's it? Are you ready to be murderlised? Once again, with the Heavy Flamers, if you're at range popping off Plasma/Melta shots, your HF is out of range. Plasma Pistol, once again, wasted points. Short range, limited fire-time and a chance of blowing yourself up. A unit that tries to do everything will get killed. Very quickly.
    Again with the HFs on Chimeras. Not the best idea in the world. If that's what you really want, you should be picking up Hellhounds - which are awesome.

Troops are where the Guardsmen shine. And, with the recent boost to how important Troops actually are now (they're the only ones who can hold objectives, cap quarters, etc.); IG should be taking a lot of men to every battle. This list has nowhere near enough Troops.

I have no comment.

A Vanquisher (with Pask) doesn't defend well against Infantry with Melta weapons. I realise that the Leman Russ box comes with a Hull-Lascannon by default, but it's a really easy conversion to change it into a Heavy Bolter from the Heavy Weapon Team box (which is cheap). Lascannon/Plasma Cannon combo is overkill against tanks. Like, a lot. Especially on a Vanquisher with Pask.
    Triple Heavy Bolter is the way to go if you've got Pask because you can't really defend against Infantry. Once you've done that, you don't really need the Storm Bolter.

Again with the Heavy Flamers? On a Battle Tank!? The kind that doesn't move forward? Stick with the Heavy Bolter, you can't go wrong with it. Plasma Cannon sponsons on a Battle Tank are full of delicious win. Drop the Templates, watch everything burn. Storm Bolter again, costs more points that you really don't need to.

You may also think about Splitting this squadron. One to defend your Vanquisher, and one to roll with the Chimeras.

The thing with IG Heavy Support, if you've got slots to spare, use them. If you want your tanks to roll together, they can still do so. If you don't want them to roll together, then they don't have to.

A squad with four meltaguns (Sisters Dominion Squad or Eldar Fire Dragons, for example) will hit all tanks in the squadron thanks to vehicle squadron rules. If the tanks are separate units the meltas can only shoot at one tank. Even if the tanks are only 1" apart.

Cutting a Leman Russ for a Veteran Squad could also work.
    Would work. Don't cut Marbo if you don't have to. In this list (as it is ), he's probably the most effective thing you've got. You've spent points on everything which costs a lot of wasted points, which could be better spent on more - effective - men.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-07-25 at 06:30 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, for a more revised list, I removed the power-fist and a large amount of options (Including the chimeras, which may come back to bite me), in favor of triple-meltas on all squads.

I still kept the Plasma-pistols, which I consider pretty efficient for their cost. I added a third squad as well. With some of the points that this freed. I switched to two Executioners with Plasma-cannon sponsons (Which may be lightly overkill).

The Vendetta Gunship seems fine as it is as far as I've noticed. The three Lascannons seem better than the anti-infantry option. I did opt to add sponsons with Heavybolters to it though.

This leaves the army count at: Command Squad, 3 Veteran Squads, Marbo, 3 Lemanrusses (1 Anti-tank sniper with Pask, 2 Plasma-spam), and the Vendetta for long-range firepower.

The largest problem I see is the lack of Chimeras, which means that the Veterans, even with Carapace Armor, are still very squishy. I'll have to re-convert the flamers into special weapons.

Since it's a Traitor Guard flavored army, it gives me some working room with the special weapons. I make them rather mutated looking, so they're distinct from the others, which is enough for everyone I've played against so far. Assuming I can get around to scratch-building all the vehicles, the only thing I'll need anymore is another unit of Veterans and general crafting materials.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmm, for a more revised list, I removed the power-fist and a large amount of options (Including the chimeras, which may come back to bite me), in favor of triple-meltas on all squads.
    ...It already has. Meltaguns have a huge 12" range. And unless within 6", it means that they're just a terrible version of a Plasmagun that has better range and is rapid fire. Melta squads without Chimeras (or at least some form of Transport) are next to useless.

With some of the points that this freed. I switched to two Executioners with Plasma-cannon sponsons (Which may be lightly overkill).
    It sure is. For the price of one of those tanks, you can get another two Veteran squads. You should.

The Vendetta Gunship seems fine as it is as far as I've noticed. The three Lascannons seem better than the anti-infantry option. I did opt to add sponsons with Heavybolters to it though.
    Well, again, I have no comment, since I've yet to try out a Vendetta this weekend. All my experience is with Valkyries, and they're rubbish as transports, and as Troop killers, I prefer my Leman Russes and linesmen.

This leaves the army count at: Command Squad, 3 Veteran Squads, Marbo, 3 Lemanrusses (1 Anti-tank sniper with Pask, 2 Plasma-spam), and the Vendetta for long-range firepower.
    ...By calling it 'spam', you already recognise that you have too much Plasma. I mean, sure, there's no such thing as 'too much plasma', but, there is when it comes at the cost of neglecting your troops. Which can roll with Triple Plasmaguns. If you want.

The largest problem I see is the lack of Chimeras, which means that the Veterans, even with Carapace Armor, are still very squishy. I'll have to re-convert the flamers into special weapons.
    Lack of Chimeras is very disturbing. Alternatively, and I may try this one day; Swap out all your tanks for Vendettas. And rapid assault people's brains out, with Fast Transports.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #58

The second most overpowered SC the Guard have. If he can't take out a unit of Terminators all on his own, in one turn, then you've done something wrong. How long he lives after said POP-BANG! is up to you. I've had him live a whole game since he's pretty good in assault too.
    Just out of curiosity, wich you consider to be guard's first most overpowered SC? Creed is nice and all, but he's pretty expensive, and he needs another expensive unit to worck well.

And yes, guard is an horde army at it's hearth. You may have an elite unit here and there, but you have to back them up with big masses of infantry.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which you consider to be guard's first most overpowered SC? Creed is nice and all, but he's pretty expensive, and he needs another expensive unit to work well.
    Al'Rahem. My Officer of choice if I'm using an 'Assault Platoon', which I've described a few times.

He kills enemy HQs dead. Fairly easily, too. He Outflanks his entire Platoon. And he issues two Orders a turn. With relative ease, he also does pretty well against Tyranid Warriors and Tyrants.
    (But Carnifii and Wraithlords are still best left to the Snipers and Lascannons)

Like The Wind is pretty amazing.

...I also like Pask in a Demolisher. Rather than Vanquisher. I'm of the opinion that Vanquishers don't need the help.

Luckily for everyone involved, my club doesn't allow SCs most of the time.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-07-25 at 09:39 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, Sticking all the squads in Vendettas seems nice. Even though Grav Chute Insertion is risky, scouting and then moving flatout just to drop all the meltas right next to tanks seems too fun to pass up. Beyond that, they're 3 Twin-linked lascannons strapped to a flying Chimera.