New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Warhammer 40k III - Hats for the Hat Throne

Oh... Really? I thought it was still set the old way...

Btw, what is the difference between regular CSMs and Chosens? I've checked the GW site, and I cant find any Chosen CSMs...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is no difference, model wise. Many people will model them more impressive, more symbols extra trophies etz. Other then that its just making sure the opponents knows what unit is chosen and which aren’t.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Infiltrate and better choice of weapons (special weapons and power weapons, that stuff). You can just use ordinary models, but if you're up for a challenge try adding lots of extra stuff to your csm. Oh, and +1 attack.
    Last edited by Etcetera; 2009-10-08 at 02:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754

The real benefit of Tzeentch is applied to Obliterators and Terminators. If you attach a character with the Icon to one of those squads, you can get them a 4+ invul save, which is quite awesome.

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    So what would I get for having Tzeench as my army's patron Chaos god? Thousand Sons as a regular troop choice, and the Demon of Change as an HQ choice, right?
    That is soooo 3e. Nowadays you really don't get anything special for just following one god. You can always pick all the special troops and demons, you just can't give more than one mark to each unit.

Also no sorcerors of Khorne.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was on dakkadakka.com, which I really just found out and don't exactly know the community, so if they're a bunch of rules-lawyers, my bad. But their argument of being able to use Gift of Chaos twice in a turn makes sense. Any psyker with the Mark of Tzeentch can attempt to use two powers per turn, the restriction being that two powers that count as shooting a weapon cannot be used.

Yay or nay?
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Well from the CSM FAQ on the GW site

Q. Can Abriman use the same power two or even three times during the same turn?

A. Powers that are psychic shooting attacks can only be used once per turn. Gift of Chaos can be used multiple times, as it is not a psychic shooting attack. The same is true for Warptime, but of course there is no point in using this power more then once per turn.
    I know in the Eldar farseer section with the spirit stone it specifically states that the same power can't be used twice. And in the main rulebook it just says psychic attacks that count as shooting can't be done twice.
    So it would seem you can use it twice.

8. - Top - End - #758

That's the sort of thing that would work well on low toughness hordes, mainly Imperial Guard and Tau. There's a pretty good chance I could remove a model as well as tie up a squad in CC for at least a turn. Even enemies that are good at CC could at least be slowed down with some luck.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

That's one advantage of CSM daemon princes. They're monstrous creatures, so they can use more than one shooting attack a turn.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Two shooting attacks to be more accurate, the first with one weapon and the second with another weapon, both on the same target.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hm. I checked the GW site, and apparently Possessed Chaos Marines come with a TON of bits, backpacks, and other fun things. So if I picked some of them up, I'd be getting some good troops for a good price, AND it'd make conversions easier and fun!

You know what, I think I'm going to go with Chaos Marines as my second army.

12. - Top - End - #762

Well, this is worse than having alt-itis in an MMO.

The new Space Wolves have impressed me. On one hand, they're definitely a flavor of the month right now, so if I used them, I'd be just one more of the crowd. But I can't say I don't like the looks of the army. I must try them...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't deny yourself something that pleases you just because everyone else is doing it. If you want to try Space Wolves, do so. And since everyone is doing it, it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who'll let you borrow their army for one game, so you don't even have to buy them.

I noticed the Grey Hunters can't use their bolters in one hand anymore, but since they're equipped with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon as well as a bolter, just like Chaos Space Marines, I guess it doesn't matter so much anymore.

And I think the Long Fangs and Razorback combo will please many.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

14. - Top - End - #764

Oh yes, I do intend to try them, though with VASSAL, my "test 40k before I buy 40k stuff." My bigger complaint with myself is that I can't choose an army.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Originally posted by Discord
    Don't deny yourself something that pleases you just because everyone else is doing it.
    Actually, that is a big part of why a lot of people don't play certain armies. Most people I know (who aren't ten years old, and including myself) stay away from Space Marines and 'Nids, simply because everybody plays them. It's a bad sign when your opponent can look at your army and say "Hey, I played those yesterday...So, I already know exactly how I'm going to flog you..."

Walking into Games Night the other night, everyone had Space Wolves. Some people (like me) like being unique individuals.

I play SMs simply because I've gone in a totally different direction to people. Scouts and Bikes - very Ravenwing-esque - no Tactical Marines or tanks. If it can't Infiltrate/Deep Strike or 'Go Fast' it doesn't belong. It's some sort of hyrbrid Ravenwing/White Scars-cross-Raven Guard army.

And my 1st Company of Imperial Fists (Deathwing list), now that Foundation Paints exist and yellow is easy to paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    My bigger complaint with myself is that I can't choose an army.
    It's not just you. A 'real' 40K player has about three or four (or six!) unfinished armies. To be honest, a lot of that indecision simply goes away after you've actually bought your first few models, or a big box. Unless of course you've chosen horribly wrong.

Should I go Space Marines, Eldar, or Imperial Guard?
    *Buys Eldar Battleforce*
    I hate Space Marines, Imperial Guard are too swarmy. Eldar are the best! Whoo!

The more you worry about it, the more you'll never actually buy anything. If you're one of those 'I like everything' players, then, either get a boatload of cash and start buying every model you like, or, play Eldar (who have a unit for everything), or play Space Marines (who have multiple units that can fulfill multiple roles).

And, VASSAL is nothing like the real thing. Sad as it sounds. You're missing out on a lot. Try actually going into a GW/Hobby store and trying out the game with some store models. My local GW store has at least 500pts of every army, and so is actually pretty handy for when people want to try out the game.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-10-10 at 11:05 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #766

Trust me, I would if I could. The nearest one is between a half-hour and hour away, however (I realize that's not a huge distance, but I don't tend to drive very far), I've not got a lot of free time to spend on trips to the Gaming Store, given the fact that I'm taking a load of classes and doing sports (still in high school). Also, I'm not sure what my parents would entirely think if I just quit my job because I don't have time to work with 4 AP classes, and then spent the money I did have on 40k.

Yes, I realize that playing a game on VASSAL is actually a few hours worth of time, but it's time I can multi-task and BS the easier homework, and it's not the 8 hours needed to have a job (or at least my old job). Maybe this winter, when I'll actually have a job, I can justify visiting the Games Workshop, because I'll have money and time.

This just gives me more time to stay indecisive on my army of choice. Blegh...
    In the interest of not being like everyone else (I agree with Discord that I shouldn't let everyone else's army of choice bother me, but I'm somewhat like Cheesegear, in that it does), how does each army fare on the "I'm just like/not like everyone else" scale, say, from 1 to 10? 10 being Space Marines, 1 being... Dark Eldar, I believe?
    Last edited by Copper8642; 2009-10-11 at 08:04 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    how does each army fare on the "I'm just like/not like everyone else" scale, say, from 1 to 10? 10 being Space Marines, 1 being... Dark Eldar, I believe?
    ...I swear we've been over this like, six quadrillion times.

Tier 1; Space Marines, 'Nids, Chaos Space Marines
    Tier 2; Imperial Guard, Orks, Eldar
    Tier 3; Chaos Daemons, Tau
    Tier 4; Dark Eldar, Necrons, Inquisition armies.

Whatever the 'New Army of the Month' is, automatically gets placed in Tier 1. At the moment, it's Space Wolves. But, let's be honest, a Space Marine is a Space Marine. Next army update is Tyranids - I think. Tier 2/3 are somewhat mutable.

Also, there's an indistinct correlation between an army's popularity and the recency of it's last Codex print.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-10-11 at 08:27 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #768

>.> <.<

Looking back, I think I was the one who asked last time. Doh...

Well, thanks again, anyways, for all of your answers, not just that one. It's been helpful.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I had a game yesterday of 1500 points vs Khorne Deamons of Chaos. It hardly seemed fair... in fact the only reason he had anything left on the board was because he dropped 3 units off in the corner by an objective so most of my army couldn't shoot at them. He only had 1 deepstrike mishap and it was just me getting to place the unit of bloodletters. It did mean he didn't have much of a chance of even trying to get to the other objectives. Dire Avengers shooting at bloodletters isn't pretty... especially when I only missed 4 out of 33 shots before the reroll from guide.
    His bloodthirster got lucky on the second turn and got held up on a jetbike (he killed 2 the previous turn and the last didn't run) so I couldn't shoot him down. He ended up assaulting my guardians with farseer on an objective, managed to kill the farseer (only made 2 of 3 invul saves) and got tied in. Now that I think about it though I think I only counted the farseer as 1 CR because that was all the more unsaved wounds he did, though it was instant death so should have been 3, though in the end it wouldn't have made much, if any, difference. I had my scorpions charge the bloodthrister to help out the guardians (since I needed them to hold the objective) and they only managed to do 1 wound (leaving 1 left) and my guardians actually managed to finish him off in CC. So yes, a bloodthrister brought down in close combat by eldar guardians.

20. - Top - End - #770

Do the space wolves have ANY imperial symbols’ on them? Cause combining those plastics with chaos ones would make a marine army with a lot more character then the normal ones.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #771

Again, killing the enemy's greatest heroes with your civilians is fun.

On that note (ok, a completely unrelated note, except it involves Eldar, and not even of the same variety), can vehicles come into play through a webway portal?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Colossus in the Playground

Have there ever been rules for a webway portal? Because that would be really interesting.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #773

Yes, for Dark Eldar. It allows a person to set one up and have others come through it.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

There was also an official Eldar variant army based around webway strikes (Alaitoc, I think, in the Big Book of Official Variants commonly known as Armageddon) It operated like a less extreme version of the current Demons, where you'd get about half your army on the table at start of game, play for position for a turn or two, and then dump the other half of you army into play on top of your most valued target.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    There was also an official Eldar variant army based around webway strikes (Alaitoc, I think, in the Big Book of Official Variants commonly known as Armageddon) It operated like a less extreme version of the current Demons, where you'd get about half your army on the table at start of game, play for position for a turn or two, and then dump the other half of you army into play on top of your most valued target.
    The Ulthwe rules in Eye of Terror incorporated Webway Gates, I don't know about Alaitoc though. As for DE, their webway portal rules are kind of stingy compared to Ulthwe's. They have to remain stationary to deploy it and if the carrier(s) die, all models designated to be entering through the webway are destroyed. It's very cool and really flavorful, but especially with TLOS now, it's hard to shield your WWP carrier from getting blasted before he gets a chance to deploy it-- particularly if half your army is off the board waiting to come through the portal. And yes, anything can come in through the WWP.
    Last edited by Tren; 2009-10-11 at 12:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    The Ulthwe rules in Eye of Terror incorporated Webway Gates
    Codex: Eye of Terror is illegal now anyway.

As is Codex: Armageddon, but, that's not such a big loss since every army in it has been reprinted - except Salamanders.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-10-12 at 02:04 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    As is Codex: Armageddon, but, that's not such a big loss since every army in it has been reprinted - except Salamanders.
    Codex: Space Marines?

Just grab some Land Raider Prometheus', some flamers, TH SS terminators, cut fast attack and call it a day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, so... My little bro was pissed off to find out I wanted a Chaos Marine army. He wouldn't really say why, other than it was stupid and pointless. He then basically said if I was going to play Chaos, he was going to quit, and he offered me his current army... which, granted, is only 2 Aspiring Champions and 14 Chaos Marines.

Now, my GF said I should just take his army. "Conquest," she called it. (I love that woman...) But I don't feel right about it... So I'm going to try and have a chat with him, and explain my reasoning behind it. I've already explained it to the other players, and they're fine with the idea. Heck, as an indirect result, the Space Marine player has decided he wants to play Dark Angles now.

The most info I managed to get from my brother, regarding why he didn't want to play if I played as Chaos, was because he thought it was stupid for Chaos armies to fight against each other. Now, I know for a fact that this isn't stupid - its common, fluff wise. And I'm sure I could educate him on the matter... But I have a feeling that he's using that as a cover for his real reasons. He either:
    -feels upset because I'd be stealing his Chaos thunder
    or...
    -is looking for an excuse to quit, since he's lost interest

I must admit, I feel kinda bad about the whole thing... But at the same time, I REALLY want to play Chaos Marines! I even went ahead and figured out how I'd set up my army! >_<

Anybody care to see my (work in progress) Chaos Marines army idea?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just grab some Land Raider Prometheus', some flamers, TH SS terminators, cut fast attack and call it a day.
    It's not the same. That day wouldn't be very fulfilling. And Prometheuses are rubbish. Redeemers would fit better.
    Not to mention that Prometheuses come out of Imperial Armour...And looking in those books leads down a slippery slope.

Originally posted by Lycan 01
    Stuff about taking his brother's army
    As I said a page or so back, playing the same army as someone else, especially if you play them a lot (I'm assuming that since he's your brother, you will go against him a lot), gets old really fast. And I wouldn't hold it against him if that was his reason.

Or, he's lost interest. Maybe. It happens.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-10-12 at 06:57 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01
    But I have a feeling that he's using that as a cover for his real reasons. He either:
    -feels upset because I'd be stealing his Chaos thunder
    Probably this. While its not necessarily wrong for you to want to play CSM, if your brother already is.... eh.

Not sure how to justify this, but I would feel the same way if one of my friends suddenly wanted to play my army. Although I'd like to think that I wouldn't throw a hissyfit like he did.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2009-10-12 at 06:09 PM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro