New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Platinum Grit

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Platinum Grit

So, I just binged on Platinum Grit, and I must say I'm astounded. That right there is some of the best writing in comics, and yet I never heard of it before I accidentally stumbled upon it the other day? For shame.

Unfortunately, the update schedule is a bugger. I shall have to wait, simply, because it is worth waiting for.

Question, however: does anyone know of any kind of active Platinum Grit community or fansite? I found Jeremy's Affections, but the last update in the "news" section is from 2005 (the forum on the comic's homepage didn't load for me, but I suppose it might have been a temporary error). I would love to read some withdrawal banter now that my binge is finished.

Edit: And, you know, feel free to discuss the comic in general here as well, because it really can bear discussing. What made me smitten with it was the characters, mostly (the story took a turn for the random at a point that I didn't really like, but's it's been catching up in the later episodes). The author manages to make the characters both splendidly diverse and incredibly believable. The fact that such a great veriety of personas (comparing Jeremy, Nils and Kate, I found that all three of them in some way are opposites to both of the other) work together so seamlessly is nothing less than astonishing.

AND it's funny as hell.

This might sound like fan wank, but I am genuinely surprised at the sheer quality of this work. While it's impossible to meaningfully compare across such different genres, I definately gained a new spot in my unordered list of superawesome comics, up there with Order of the Stick, Keychain of Creation and Erfworld, Goblins and 8-bit Theater.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2009-10-05 at 07:27 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Platinum Grit

Grit is an EXCELLENT comic. The reason you never hear about it is because it updates about once a year. Maybe twice, if we're lucky and Trudy actually manages to crank it out.

As for a community, the community here is the only one I know of. I'm not there though, since it's mostly dead. There are spurts of activity when he updates, and Trudy posts once in awhile to let folk know he's not dead.

Trudy does another comic, but it is VERY NSFW: Oglaf is funny as all hell, but don't read it if you are disturbed by pretty graphic sexuality.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Platinum Grit is a fantastic comic. I check in vain regularly for update status.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, wonderful. It seems I only tried the official forum at time when it was undergoing problems. Typical, huh?

I read in a thread that by 2/9 this year, Trudy was "over the half way mark" on issue 20. I do hope she'll press it out before Christmas!
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!