New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Why do people think it's okay to keep trying to rob me?

They haven't got into my apartment yet, but that's not for lack of trying. First time was about 2 months ago, I woke up around 1AM to what felt like the whole house shaking (it's a small house, I have the top half) as they tried to kick down my door.

They're stupid, and don't know how to kick in doors. All they did was scuff it up and make some dents near the bottom. But their efforts knocked loose a window screen which fell and made lots of noise, which I presume scared them off.

I called the police later that day, though I expected what the officer would say. They didn't actually get in, so the most they could charge the people with (if they found them) would be some form of vandalism. Figured that. I just wanted there to be a record of an attempted home invasion while I was home. Bastards.

I felt I wanted a little better protection than what I currently have, so I went to my families house and brought back my great-grandfathers Browning A5, 12 gauge. It still works great. Since that night I haven't had the reason to use it, which I'm thankful for.

Last night around 2AM "they" came around again. They didn't try and kick the door in; I think they were just testing my defenses. I was inside and clearly heard the sound of my screendoor being opened. It makes a very distinctive noise, and at 2AM there wasn't anything else going on for me to confuse the noise with.

I didn't hear anything after that, though I stayed up for a while. I wish these bastards would just leave me alone. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions about it being the same guys last night, or whoever it was having the purpose of robbing me, but....why do you come up my outside stairs at 2 in the morning and all you do is open and close the screendoor?
    Attacking the darkness since 1998. PbP Games
    Aberrant Adept / Revised Hexblade

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Why do people think it's okay to keep trying to rob me?

It's probably not a personal thing you know? They probably test every house on one street each night, hoping to get lucky. And of course they must sometimes.
    Last edited by Yarram; 2009-08-09 at 06:29 AM.
    This text is yellow.
    Spoiler
    Show

TUBATAR!

Why? Because tuba is the awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

First of all, do you have a big neon sign saying: Rob this place!

If yes, then it might be good to remove it.

Also keeping the light on in a room(which is clearly visible from the outside) in the night might deter them.(If you're willing to add that to your electricity bill)

Also, you say you live in the top of a house? Any idea why they take your place instead of taking the easier lower place?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 fighter View Post
    They haven't got into my apartment yet, but that's not for lack of trying. First time was about 2 months ago, I woke up around 1AM to what felt like the whole house shaking (it's a small house, I have the top half) as they tried to kick down my door.

They're stupid, and don't know how to kick in doors. All they did was scuff it up and make some dents near the bottom. But their efforts knocked loose a window screen which fell and made lots of noise, which I presume scared them off.

I called the police later that day, though I expected what the officer would say. They didn't actually get in, so the most they could charge the people with (if they found them) would be some form of vandalism. Figured that. I just wanted there to be a record of an attempted home invasion while I was home. Bastards.

I felt I wanted a little better protection than what I currently have, so I went to my families house and brought back my great-grandfathers Browning A5, 12 gauge. It still works great. Since that night I haven't had the reason to use it, which I'm thankful for.

Last night around 2AM "they" came around again. They didn't try and kick the door in; I think they were just testing my defenses. I was inside and clearly heard the sound of my screendoor being opened. It makes a very distinctive noise, and at 2AM there wasn't anything else going on for me to confuse the noise with.

I didn't hear anything after that, though I stayed up for a while. I wish these bastards would just leave me alone. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions about it being the same guys last night, or whoever it was having the purpose of robbing me, but....why do you come up my outside stairs at 2 in the morning and all you do is open and close the screendoor?
    Set up a camera or something and see if you can get their faces. Then show your neighbors so they know to look out for them.
    PM me for computer hardware advice/help.
    thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar
    cookies drawn by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

No, no neon sign. Good call though.

"They", or other people, have broken into the bottom half of the house before. Thankfully the two women that live there weren't home at the time.

While a camera might be a good thing to have to show the police their pictures, in all honesty it's probably my neighbors (people on my street), that are the ones doing it. I don't live in the best of neighborhoods.

6. - Top - End - #6

No, no neon sign. Good call though.

"They", or other people, have broken into the bottom half of the house before. Thankfully the two women that live there weren't home at the time.

While a camera might be a good thing to have to show the police their pictures, in all honesty it's probably my neighbors (people on my street), that are the ones doing it. I don't live in the best of neighborhoods.
    then get a picture and find out where the guys who are doing live. Then do with that info what you wish.

edit:grammar fail but too lazy to fix
    Last edited by Crispy Dave; 2009-08-09 at 06:38 AM.
    cookies drawn by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy Dave View Post
    then get a picture and find out where the guys who are doing live. Then do with that info what you wish.
    I'd rather have the law on my side if anything like that happens. In my state it's legal to use lethal & deadly force if someone breaks into your house.
    Last edited by lvl 1 fighter; 2009-08-09 at 06:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd rather have the law on my side if anything like that happens. In my state it's legal to use lethal & deadly force if someone breaks into your house.
    you could leave them a note.
    cookies drawn by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Big sign is big

NO TRESPASSING
    Forget the damn dog
    Beware of owner
    If you are found here at night
    You WILL be found here in the morning

On a side note, what kinda shells are you packin in your A-5? I wouldn't pack anything bigger than a 00, and I certainly wouldn't use a solid slug. The wall piercing capabilities could be...unfortunate. Something like a 3" shot used for goose or similar would be idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Even if someone breaks in, don't kill them. Seriously. The click-click should be enough to get them on their knees while you call the cops.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I've got 00 loads. It's standard, and what the police officer recommended.

Faulty - I don't see the point in having a gun in the house for self-defense/protection if it's not already locked and loaded. Course, I live alone (no small children or otherwise) so I don't have to worry about someone playing with it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Movies are a joke. Dramatic gun ***** don't exist in real life. There is only "safe" and "fire". Anything else means you are not prepared. You should never touch a firearm in that situation unless you are willing and able to fire it at another human, because when you escalate to that level, its deadly serious. If you aren't prepared to fire that weapon, you shouldn't be carrying it, because if the other guy has one too, he's probably not gonna have the same hesitation. Its not TV or a movie...its real life.

And that ratchet sound that you always hear on TV when anyone has a shotgun? Yea, thats the sound that a pump action shotgun makes when you rack a shell. A) Mr lv1fighter's firearm is NOT a pump action, its a semi-auto, which means that the inertia of the weapon ejects the spent cartridge and racks a new one, rather than under manual power like a pump. B) The "Dramatic Shotgun Pump" means either prior to the pump, your chamber was empty and you were not prepared to fire or you just ejected one of your 5 precious shots.

EDIT:
    he he he, silly forum automatic censorship...
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-08-09 at 10:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

First off, I know how annoying it is to have someone break into your house and take your things. Bugger egged the inside of our house and took my $60among other things and broke my computer .

I assume the state you speak of the Texas. In that case, make the sign Keld suggested, mentioning that you WILL use the Castle Law to its full extent if you feel the need to.
    Last edited by KilltheToy; 2009-08-09 at 10:50 AM.
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, DGC are for the movies.

Nope. Tennessee - the patron state of shootin stuff. [profanity on page]

This isn't the first time someone's tried to break into my place. At my previous residence they actually got inside and stole my roommates cash. Busted down the kitchen door. We weren't home at the time.
    Last edited by lvl 1 fighter; 2009-08-09 at 11:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, DGC are for the movies.

Nope. Tennessee - the patron state of shootin stuff. [profanity on page]

This isn't the first time someone's tried to break into my place. At my previous residence they actually got inside and stole my roommates cash. Busted down the kitchen door. We weren't home at the time.
    Ah, never mind then. I only know of the Castle Law here. Still, feel free to tell them that you'll make full use of the law if you feel so inclined.
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you look robbable? Do you have a robbable face?
    Faceist avatar by Kwarkpudding. Cheers!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Big sign is big

NO TRESPASSING
    Forget the damn dog
    Beware of owner
    If you are found here at night
    You WILL be found here in the morning

On a side note, what kinda shells are you packin in your A-5? I wouldn't pack anything bigger than a 00, and I certainly wouldn't use a solid slug. The wall piercing capabilities could be...unfortunate. Something like a 3" shot used for goose or similar would be idea.

...That's brilliant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Does TN have provisions for that like TX does? I know MI does. I'd never even think about breaking into a house in the Upper Penninsula. Those guys are armed to the teeth (you know, in case the Canadian's launch an amphibious assault across Lake Superior...) just as much as TX is.

I've actually been thinking about buying a sidearm. WA has pretty easy CCW laws, and I have a friend who knows a guy who makes REALLY nice handcrafted custom moulded leather back holsters. Plus, they are fun as all heck to shoot at the firing range.

I have a 20GA Pump and a .30-06 for hunting, but those aren't really good home protection weapons, especially the rifle, since I can't hit anything close range with any degree of accuracy because of the scope.

Keep out sign means keep out:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uncomfortable sign feels uncomfortable:
    Spoiler
    Show

Canibal Homeowners Association of America
    Spoiler
    Show

On the plus side, they'll be so busy looking up the regulation that they won't see you load your weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-08-09 at 11:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

These sound to be like some pretty dumb folks, if they're actually kicking down doors and making all that noise. Sure, a window makes just as much noise, but you hear the shattering of breaking glass and your mind tries to dismiss it a bit easier than the thump of someone actually trying to break your door.

Have you tried arming your door at night? Pulling some explosive charges? One good thump and -boom-, problem solved.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faceist View Post
    Do you look robbable? Do you have a robbable face?
    Maybe. I dunno.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yesterday at the park:

Perhaps if I went around dressed like I used to this might not happen...

Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39-11-61
    Paragraph (c) Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within a residence, dwelling or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest when that force is used against another person, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, dwelling or vehicle, and the person using defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

I don't think explosive charges are...um...legal. Nor would I employ such measures. You can't be sure who's going to be hurt by them.

21. - Top - End - #21

Personally, I'd be wary of putting up most of the funny signs. They could be plausibly presented in court as evidence that you had a violent mentality, and used excessive force, e.g. by shooting survivors who were otherwise incapacitated. Personally I'd go with a simple "homeowner is armed" or "protected by 00 buck."

You say you live in an apartment? 00 will penetrate reasonably well, from what I understand, and you may want to consider what angles you'll likely be shooting from, lest you kill or injure neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I have a 20GA Pump and a .30-06 for hunting, but those aren't really good home protection weapons, especially the rifle, since I can't hit anything close range with any degree of accuracy because of the scope.
    The 20 gauge is probably adequate if loaded with buckshot. The Box O' Truth did some tests with one that you might want to look at.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RS14 View Post
    Personally, I'd be wary of putting up most of the funny signs. They could be plausibly presented in court as evidence that you had a violent mentality, and used excessive force, e.g. by shooting survivors who were otherwise incapacitated. Personally I'd go with a simple "homeowner is armed" or "protected by 00 buck."

You say you live in an apartment? 00 will penetrate reasonably well, from what I understand, and you may want to consider what angles you'll likely be shooting from, lest you kill or injure neighbors.
    Yeah, Wal-Mart might have a simple sign like that. Courts do take things like that seriously.

It's technically an apartment. In reality it's the top half of a small house. The nearest other house is a good 20ft away. 00 won't penetrate their stone walls from 20ft.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think explosive charges are...um...legal. Nor would I employ such measures. You can't be sure who's going to be hurt by them.
    That's half the fun.
    الانفجار يكون المفاجأة مناسبة لكل مناسبة

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, you can use a smaller gauge shot and not loose any stopping power. #6 is plenty big enough to stop a man and have a lower chance of colateral damage. 00 is a big freakin load.

Something in a 2.75" or 3" would be ideal. Probably 2.75".

I'd also make sure you don't have an aggressive choke installed. You don't want a super tight pattern, and you aren't exactly shooting long range.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-08-09 at 12:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I would suggest investing in a home security system, or, if you don't have the cash available, putting up a Brinks sign. It's not the best option, but it may convince potential thieves to pass you over.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I think your best option is probably to find a way to make it clear to them that you do in fact have a shotgun with you next time they come around the house. If DGCs aren't actually reasonable/existent/wrong gun, then find something else, but if there's a way to concretely make a sound that says 'shotgun' that'd be best. If you just say so or put up a sign they might think you're bluffing.

27. - Top - End - #27

So far, both attempts have occurred at night, when he's at home anyway. A monitored security system can be a useful supplement if you're away, but is expensive (~$400/yr) and inferior to a shotgun in its ability to actually stop a burglary.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    If DGCs aren't actually reasonable/existent/wrong gun, then find something else, but if there's a way to concretely make a sound that says 'shotgun' that'd be best. If you just say so or put up a sign they might think you're bluffing.
    Maybe cut the top off the box of shells and tape it up in the window? Where did you you get a sign that says Federal Premium? Why, from the box of Federal Premium shells that are loaded in the shotgun pointed at the window with the sign that says Federal Premium.

Also:
    Spoiler
    Show

and
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

oh wow I know I shouldn't do this but...
    it's 'cause your only a lvl 1 fighter

and now for something actually helpful:

well a list of things could've happened. One of the guys could've gotten cold feet and begged the others to just turn back, they could've though they were breaking into someone else's house 'cause they needed something specific and realized they had the wrong address, maybe they looked around quietly but found nothing of extreme value (no jewelry or money out in the open), or they could just be some punk kids who have a grudge against you for some reason and just wanna scare you.

But usually 2 failed attempts will usually result in them not wanting to go back for 3rds since they know you must be prepared at this point.
    Last edited by Lerky; 2009-08-09 at 01:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proud Activist of The Goblinoid Sub-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre
    Let us all hail to the might of Lerky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsen
    Lerky, you have proven once again, that you are a being of tremendous might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lerky View Post
    oh wow I know I shouldn't do this but...
    it's 'cause your only a lvl 1 fighter
    Ha! Nice.

I'm pretty sure the shotgun hasn't been modified any, so whatever the original choke was when it was made (late-1920's) is what I'm working with.