New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421

Default Re: Admiral Euphoria's Random Banter Thread of Delusional Grandeur #124

That's horrible, why would someone link something so horrible

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: Why post something so horrible indeed...

I cannot believe my eyes.... I was seeing so much red I had to stop that video after about 44 seconds...

Also, I had my first official driving school for reducing the cost of insurance lesson yesterday.

Which was good, because my parents were refusing to teach me parallel parking despite my upcoming license exam. Something about being in fear for their lives.

Which is really funny, because I've driven them across country before at breakneck speeds, like, on those highways where 70 is the minimum speed rather than the maximum. Parallel parking is so slow it's a miracle if you leave even a scratch in the paint job if you tap one of the other bumpers. Heck. Cats, dogs, and small children are able to easily evade the car at such speeds.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-08-01 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Holy magic cat! That was the worst song I ever heard!
    It's BACK!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    That's horrible, why would someone link something so horrible
    Well, that's exactly my point right there. If I was hitting below the belt, it was because he opened with mustard gas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

I... I just listened to the song. I'm sorry Rutskarn, I commend your restraint, I would have bombed his house.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    It wouldn't be my thing, but I have been writing a "novel" for over a year now. I have *opens up file* 3180 words actually written of it, 1447 words of background info on the world, and 1219 words outlining the story which are frequently ignored by me.

I NEED MOTIVATION!
    Sorry, just noticed this.

Want to know how I work up the motivation to write 5 times a week?

Like this.

You get feedback, you get a littabit of exposure, and you're answerable to more people than yourself if you backslide like hell. It scares me straight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427

...Dammit Rut. Now I'm stuck in your blog.

Show

8. - Top - End - #428

NecromancerGuy

Soon it will be the TVtropes of literary exercises.
    @_@ YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.
    So, I had a kitten riding around on my hat for a little while there. Is that cute or just stupid/silly/disturbing?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #429

Kittens can never be anything other than cute and vindictive.

Show

10. - Top - End - #430

NecromancerGuy

Well, that's good, because they hurt my feet with their teeth and claws.

Also. SMBC + http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php...&id=1593#comic = NSFW brilliance.

Other than the lack of a space anyway.;..
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

The list now is:
    Em Blackleaf (The maker of the avatar seems to have left)
    DD the Cookiemonster, genderswapped.
    EleventhHour, her Roman Avatar. Elder Tsofu has been PMed for permission to use his avvie.
    SMEE, current avvie. Ceika has already approved.
    Mauve Shirt. Her normal avvie, not the Dragon week one. Since there are multiple versions of it, I don't think one particular person needs to give permission.
    Francinethefighter (GB'd Fredthefighter)
    CurlyKitGirl (but Dr. Bath has been PM'ed for permission to base something off his artwork)
    Je dit Viola (and Shades of Grey has given permission for his work to be the base)
    Recaiden has also volunteered one of his avatars for this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #432

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    The list now is:
    Em Blackleaf (The maker of the avatar seems to have left)
    DD the Cookiemonster, genderswapped.
    EleventhHour, her Roman Avatar. Elder Tsofu has been PMed for permission to use his avvie.
    SMEE, current avvie. Ceika has already approved.
    Mauve Shirt. Her normal avvie, not the Dragon week one. Since there are multiple versions of it, I don't think one particular person needs to give permission.
    Francinethefighter (GB'd Fredthefighter)
    CurlyKitGirl (but Dr. Bath has been PM'ed for permission to base something off his artwork)
    Je dit Viola (and Shades of Grey has given permission for his work to be the base)
    Recaiden has also volunteered one of his avatars for this.
    See, this... ... this is just silly. Seriously. Why on earth do you feel the need to specify that it's to be from her usual avatar rather than a throwaway dragon for a special avatar week?

<_< And are you asking for permission from the artists or contributions for some kind of collaborative thing?
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a banner idea, on page 9.

And I feel the need to specify, because EleventhHour's contributing avvie is the Roman/Greek one.

And Fredthefighter's cont. avatar is his GB one.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

I'l let ya know that I'm made by Bisected.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

15. - Top - End - #435

It turns out I'm going to be born soon, or something along those lines. Apparently my parents feel the need to give me things for accomplishing this massive feat, although I don't think I'm going to put a whole lot of effort into it. After all, how much can I do from my end? But of course who am I to refuse free things?

Unfortunately, I am the absolute worst person ever at deciding what sorts of things to ask for, since my parents rarely have any clue as to what I want I have to tell them, but I rarely know what I myself want. Makes for predictable gifts, but I've never been one to make make the celebration of my continued survival a big deal.

I've heard a few chaps and ladies here mention some obscure fellow named Terry Pratchett as a sort of man who occasionally writes a few words that are nice to look at, and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to where I should should start with his pretty scribbles. I think they'd make a decent enough gift for myself, as I am fond of the occasional scribble.

On a completely different note, I really wish I could fall asleep before 2 AM.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Terry Pratchett is highly recommended.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

17. - Top - End - #437

For specific books, small gods is a nice unconnected starting point (unconnected in that it's a standalone book with no prequels or sequels) and I heartily recommend the Night Watch books, starting with... guards guards? I think? Either that or men at arms.

Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Sorry, just noticed this.

Want to know how I work up the motivation to write 5 times a week?

Like this.

You get feedback, you get a littabit of exposure, and you're answerable to more people than yourself if you backslide like hell. It scares me straight.
    That's strange, because I already do that, though not 5 times a week
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

19. - Top - End - #439

NO! I WILL NOT CLICK ANOTHER BLOG!

I just got out of Rutty's...

Show

20. - Top - End - #440

IT IS NOT A BLOG!
    Besides, there are nowhere near as many posts as Rutsy's, since I only started it on the 17th.

And that Video Games song is terrible. I suggest we use it for BlackoutRolling now!
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2009-08-01 at 05:02 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, we're posting Blogs?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

22. - Top - End - #442

Oh yeah, and Rutty? You need to move Part three of your morrow wind LP into the LP section.

*throws blanket over blog links and Not A Blog links*

Show

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Wait, we're posting Blogs?
    Not necessarily, it's just Rutsky told me I should write a blog/notblog, and I pointed out that I already did, whilst cleverly slipping a link into the conversation.

I AM A GENIUS!
    BANG → !

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Bisected just PM'd me permission for you, DD.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Too many pages... Not inclined to catch up...

Sooo. Today was interesting. There was a protest/riot, depending on who you ask. (Police or protesters/rioters.) We were trying to go to some zoo that sounded interesting, but police had cordoned off the entire inner city. I get home, look up the news, and it turns out while we were getting dinner, the police were lobbing tear gas canisters at the protesters.

The protests were against some legislation that would allow detention without trial, for indefinite amounts of time.
    And now I wish I had been there with a camera. Photojournalism kinda interests me.
    This avatar by Phase.

26. - Top - End - #446

Randy: which city are you in now?

Coidz: You remember the kitten I've been hand-rearing for the past 6 weeks? (I named him Custard.) Well, he's just got to the really fun stage where he's started playing, chasing, running, and attacking things. Except he's still so tiny and so un-coordinated that it's absolutely adoreable. He just lost a fight with one of my bra straps. (I wasn't wearing the bra. JFYI.) And his favourite toy is a little plastic drinking straw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Bill--I wish I could pretend that sort of mistake was uncharacteristic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Soon it will be the TVtropes of literary exercises.
    @_@ YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.
    So, I had a kitten riding around on my hat for a little while there. Is that cute or just stupid/silly/disturbing?
    No, it's cute.

And that's an interesting name for a cat

It's still Kuala Lumpur, right?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Rand, I am always always worried about you. Seems like you're always in the middle of strife.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    I've heard a few chaps and ladies here mention some obscure fellow named Terry Pratchett as a sort of man who occasionally writes a few words that are nice to look at, and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to where I should should start with his pretty scribbles. I think they'd make a decent enough gift for myself, as I am fond of the occasional scribble.
    Move over!
    Resident Pratchett fangirl and 'expert' coming through!

There are several arcs in the Discworld series as well as standalones. The arcs are:
    Rincewind/Wizards Arc: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic (these two are the first two books, directly follow on from one another and are generally regarded as some of the poorest in the series; a more straight up parody of the heroic fantasy genre. Good, but not representative of the series as it grows up) about the world ending, Sourcery (world going to end via magic), Eric (demons!), Interesting Times (potential war must be averted), The Last Continent (Rincewind must save 'Australia'!), Science of the Discworld I, II and III (technically, these three are 50% science, 50% story and very, very good) (save ROundworld (Earth) from various things) and finally the upcoming Unseen Academicals (Wizards + football) to be released in the UK in October.
    Generally this is seen as the 'weakest' arc of the lot; but I'd still recommend Interesting Times and The Last COntinent out of these.
    The Witches/Tiffany Arc: Equal Rites (non - indicative of how the arc truly is later on - this arc is more about taking and deconstructing literature. Shakespeare, fairy tales and vampires all come under attack), Wyrd Sisters (Macbeth + Discworld), WItches Abroad (fairly tales + Discworld), Lords and Ladies (Midsummer Night's Dream and faery lore (especially Celtic) + Discworld), Maskerade (Phatom of the Opera + Discworld), Carpe Jugulum (vampyres + Discworld). The witch arc then fades into the Tiffany series 'for children'; this goes: The Wee Free Men, A Hat Fll of Sky, Wintersmith and the upcoming I Shall Wear Midnight to be released next year.
    This is a divisive arc, some like it, others don't; but I'd recommend all of them except Equal Rites.
    The Death Arc: What's it like to be Death? This arc finds out. Mort (Death gets an apprentice), Reaper Man (Death is made redundant and mortal, things stop dying and a subplot happens), Soul Music (Death goes on holiday and his granddaughter takes over. Rock music is involved), Hogfather (Death takes over the Hogfather's (Discworld Father Christmas') job, Thief of Time (time starts going wrong. The civil service is involved. And monks). The latter can also be argued as a stand alone, but Susan is involved heavily so I class it here.
    This is one of the best arcs in the series and pretty much everyone loves it. Mort is definitely the weakest of them; Reaper Man is often touted as one of the best book in the entire series. A view with which I agree. Death appears in every single Discworld book bar one, and he's probably the most popular character; definitely in the top three for most.
    The Watch Arc: Mystery and political intrigue in Ankh - Morpork (mostly). Guards! Guards! (here be dragon. Vetinari demonstrates how awesome he is despite being a minor character.), Men At Arms (a new weapon is going around assassinating people. The Watch investigates), Feet of Clay (who's going around killing harmless old men? Who's trying to kill the Patrician? Vetinari displays more awesome despite being a minor character), Jingo (Ankh - Morpork goes to war! Vimes and Vetinari, despite being only a secondary character, displays yet more awesome), The Fifth Elephant (Vimes goes on a diplomatic mission, he displays more awesome. A relic gets stolen), Night Watch (Vimes is sent back in time; he and Young!Vetinari display more awesome), Thud! (species difficulties and an evil entity all revolve around a board game).
    Probably the best arc and has a lot of fantastic writing and characters. Vimes is regarded as one of the best, most rounded characters in the series. I'd recommend all these books, but Night Watch and Thud! are probably the best.
    The Moist (von Lipwig) Arc: Going Postal (Ankh - Morpork's Post Office gets revitalised), Making Money (same as the previous, but with a Royal Mint). People tend to love the former, and see the second as a rehash. The third is heavily hinted to be about taxes. GOing Postal's the most recommended from here.
    Standalone: Pyramids (Egypt + Discworld), Moving Pictures(Discworld + cinema), Small Gods (a novice is on a misson from God Om. Currently a tortoise.), The Truth (Ankh - Morpork gets its first newspaper), The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (a 'childrens' book. Pied Piper of Hamlin + Discworld), Monstrous Regiment (a woman cross dresses and joins the army; Vimes cameos and pretty much steals the book), The Last Hero (a graphic novel which is basically a crossover of the Rincewind and Watch arcs; very, very good and the artwork is amazing).
    Hands down, Small Gods is the best of these, then The Truth. Monstrous Regiment is the weakest of these. By miles.

Non - Discworld:
    The Johnny Trilogy - kids gets involved in various hijinks.
    The Bromeliad Trilogy - nomes [sic] try to find their home.
    The Carpet People - his first ever book.
    Strata - the very tentative beginnings of Discworld are seen here.
    The Dark Side of the Sun - can't remember. Never read.
    Good Omens - the Anitchrist has been mislead and the Apocalypse is due to happen in a few days! Cowritten with Neil Gaiman.
    Nation - a catastrophe on an islands leads to a coming of age story and revolution of society.
    Recommendations: GOOD OMENS and NATION! You read them now! Awesome. Especially Good Omens.

Thus ends my list. And it's entirely complete. Not including the almanacs and extras, Flocklore of the Discworld or the book about the cat. I think.
    And see the films.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-08-01 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a summary

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!