New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Admiral Euphoria's Random Banter Thread of Delusional Grandeur #124

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Huh, that is pretty cool. I had never noticed before.
    And the 3 and 6 tables always equal a multiple of 3, in case you didn't realize.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    And the 3 and 6 tables always equal a multiple of 3, in case you didn't realize.
    But...how couldn't they? I mean, the 3 table is just multiples of 3. Multiples of 6 will also have to be divisible by 3 since 6 is. Maybe I don't quite understand what you mean?

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Firbolg in the Playground

He means the sum of the digits of a multiple of 3 always equals a multiple of 3.

An interesting one: If you alternately add and subtract the digits of a multiple of 11, the answer is always 0.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #1354

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    An interesting one: If you alternately add and subtract the digits of a multiple of 11, the answer is always 0.
    That's pretty cool. I like the method of multiplying 2 digit numbers by 11: first digit, both digits added together, second digit, though if you get more than 10 when adding digits together, you add the first digit of the sum to the first digit of the original number.

EXAMPLE: 65 x 11 = 6 (6+5) 5 = 6115 715.

EDIT: Hang on... Thufir's trick doesn't work on this one!
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2009-08-11 at 01:58 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #1355

65 * 11 = 715

7 - 1 + 5 = 11

Hmm, yeah. Doesn't work.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    EXAMPLE: 65 x 11 = 6 (6+5) 5 = 6115 715.

EDIT: Hang on... Thufir's trick doesn't work on this one!
    59 x 11 = 649 (oops)
    60 x 11 = 660 (works)
    61 x 11 = 671 (works)
    62 x 11 = 682 (works)
    63 x 11 = 693 (works)
    64 x 11 = 704 (oops)

66 x 11 = 726 (oops)
    67 x 11 = 737 (oops)
    68 x 11 = 748 (oops)
    69 x 11 = 759 (oops)
    70 x 11 = 770 (works)

v: It does work if you add mod 11: 6+9 = 4; 7+4 = 0; 7+6 = 2; 7+7 = 3, etc...
    Last edited by unstattedCommoner; 2009-08-11 at 02:22 PM.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

What's amusing to me is that Dogmantra's example clearly demonstrates why it doesn't work in that case: it's because the 6 and the 5 exceed 9.

EDIT: Look at the line of examples: in each case where the sum of the two digits exceeds 9, you get an "oops".

This is because the effect depends on the fact that the two digits in 11 cancel each other out, and continue to do so in multiples, and continue to do so in 10's thereof as well (as a zero has no effect). But once the sums of two different 10's of 11 cause the next digit up to increment, the whole thing falls apart.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 2009-08-11 at 02:15 PM.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

8. - Top - End - #1358

Sorry, I remembered it wrong. They always add up to a multiple of 11.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes sense; by incrementing a digit you either gain one and lose ten or gain ten and lose one in the final number, making for a factor of eleven.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Orc in the Playground

I see lots of numbers, and now I feel stupid.
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

11. - Top - End - #1361

And I'm not even trying!
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Banned

So... If you feel stupid about that then how about this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Let A be a number which is a multiple of three and the digits of which add up to a multiple of three.

A=3B where B is a natural number and a factor of A
    3C=a1+a2+...+an where C is a unique natural number for each A we choose, at is the 't'th digit along the number A and where n is the total number of digits.

Then is we add three to A then clearly A is still a a multiple of three and then, by considering what happens to the final digit in the multiples of three we can conclude that eiter an is increased by three or decreased by seven and an-2 is increased by one. In either case there is still a natural number C that satisfies the equation, either it is one more or two less than before.

We can extend this, since we can just iterate adding threes; so adding any multiple of three to the number still satisfies it.

It works for three, so works for all multiples of three. Though technically you would have to explain why it works for negative multiples too.

It's just a proof of that 'any multiple of three has digits which add to a multiple of three' dealie.

I mean, it's a fairly simple inductive proof and I have long-winded it a bit, but it is pretty obvious...
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-08-11 at 05:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1363

Sometimes, I like to have little conversations with people in PM titles, in my signature or in the "reason for editing" bit. I'm planning on bringing this into real life with a pad of post-it notes and a lot of free time. I hope people will be co-operative. This all ties in with my plan to make the world a better place, which I have titled "Project Awesome".
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    So... If you feel stupid about that then how about this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Let A be a number which is a multiple of three and the digits of which add up to a multiple of three.

A=3B where B is a natural number and a factor of A
    3C=a1+a2+...+an where C is a unique natural number for each A we choose, at is the 't'th digit along the number A and where n is the total number of digits.

Then is we add three to A then clearly A is still a a multiple of three and then, by considering what happens to the final digit in the multiples of three we can conclude that eiter an is increased by three or decreased by seven and an-2 is increased by one. In either case there is still a natural number C that satisfies the equation, either it is one more or two less than before.

We can extend this, since we can just iterate adding threes; so adding any multiple of three to the number still satisfies it.

It works for three, so works for all multiples of three. Though technically you would have to explain why it works for negative multiples too.

It's just a proof of that 'any multiple of three has digits which add to a multiple of three' dealie.

I mean, it's a fairly simple inductive proof and I have long-winded it a bit, but it is pretty obvious...
    Unnecessarily convoluted.

Let A = a0 + 10a1 + 102a2 + ... + 10nan for integers ar, 0 <= ar <= 9.

Now, 10 = 1 (mod 3). Therefore 10r = 1 (mod 3), and

A = a0 + a1 + ... + an (mod 3).

So if A is a multiple of 3, then the sum of the digits of A is also a multiple of 3.

Similar proofs establish the tests for divisibility by 9 (10 = 1 (mod 9)) and
    11 (10 = -1 (mod 11)).

One can obtain divisibility tests for all primes in this manner: it's just that they don't reduce to memorable rules like 2 and 5 (A is divisible if a0 is), 3, and 11. 7, for example, yields nothing more useful than:

If a0 + 3a1 + 2a2 + 6a3 + 4a4 + 5a5 + a6 + etc, continuing the
    cycle, is divisible by 7, then A is.

Thus 710 = 282475249:
    1*9 + 3*4 + 2*2 + 6*5 + 4*7 + 5*4 + 1*2 + 3*8 + 2*2
    = 9 + 12 + 4 + 30 + 28 + 20 + 2 + 24 + 4
    = 133 = 19*7.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Banned

Yes, yes, you're compelled to try to one-up.

16. - Top - End - #1366

Quote Originally Posted by unstattedCommoner View Post
    Unnecessarily convoluted.

Let A = a0 + 10a1 + 102a2 + ... + 10nan for integers ar, 0 <= ar <= 9.

Now, 10 = 1 (mod 3). Therefore 10r = 1 (mod 3), and

A = a0 + a1 + ... + an (mod 3).

So if A is a multiple of 3, then the sum of the digits of A is also a multiple of 3.

Similar proofs establish the tests for divisibility by 9 (10 = 1 (mod 9)) and
    11 (10 = -1 (mod 11)).

One can obtain divisibility tests for all primes in this manner: it's just that they don't reduce to memorable rules like 2 and 5 (A is divisible if a0 is), 3, and 11. 7, for example, yields nothing more useful than:

If a0 + 3a1 + 2a2 + 6a3 + 4a4 + 5a5 + a6 + etc, continuing the
    cycle, is divisible by 7, then A is.

Thus 710 = 282475249:
    1*9 + 3*4 + 2*2 + 6*5 + 4*7 + 5*4 + 1*2 + 3*8 + 2*2
    = 9 + 12 + 4 + 30 + 28 + 20 + 2 + 24 + 4
    = 133 = 19*7.
    Why the get out is this more confusing?

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    Why the get out is this more confusing?
    Because he used modular arithmetic, more symbols and didn't consider his audience?

18. - Top - End - #1368

Because he used modular arithmetic, more symbols and didn't consider his audience?
    No, I think it's the font.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIISK

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    No, I think it's the font.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIISK
    No Risk. Not until you do your chores.

20. - Top - End - #1370

Ooh, I might be up for Risk.

21. - Top - End - #1371

No Risk. Not until you do your chores.
    I cleaned my room, took out the trash, made that mix tape for your big unexplained first date, did the dishwasher, put the new load in, sharpened your bread knife, checked the laundry for kitchen-related bloodstains, cleaned aforementioned bloodstains AND laid down the plastic wrap in the basement for your waterfight.

I think I've earned a little world domination.

EDIT: ^Whabam! How many do we need? This is good, keep it coming people, huptwoetc.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 2009-08-11 at 07:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Modular arithmetic? What's that grouped in with, generally?

In other, more Coidzarian news (no word yet on whether Coidzarian or Coidzorian or Cuidan is really the proper way to write it out), I am heading out into the wilderness of _._. to release an Opossum female young adult that my brother found abandoned as a kit.

Wish me luck. Or for a drop bear to eat me. Though I think any drop bears in the U.S. would be very confused and starve to death or get eaten by cats/dogs/yuppies depending upon what area they settled in.

Hopefully I'll be able to unload some of this furniture on my bro or something or at least convince the 'rents to give it to goodwill to boot. But first.... plastic tubs...

Interestingly, I've stumbled onto something. Where previously a chain fit around my body and I could slip into or out of it with a little effort, though it would stay in place by virtue of my girth and friction around my midsection, now the chain merely falls straight to the floor.

So I think I've lost a bit to my waist haha.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-08-11 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #1373

At least 3 for a decent game, but I prefer 4 or more. I may be able to dig up a 4th player, but probably not. He has work tomorrow, so no staying up late.

24. - Top - End - #1374

Alternatively because having read your proof, reading another seemed pointless. And because despite the fact he said yours was unnecessarily convoluted, his appears to be longer (Though that could be partly because he used normal sized text).

Or even, having actually read his proof now, because the actual proof is maybe a third of his post, the rest being taken up by related but off-putting looking extra stuff.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #1375

Alternatively because having read your proof, reading another seemed pointless. And because despite the fact he said yours was unnecessarily convoluted, his appears to be longer (Though that could be partly because he used normal sized text).

Or even, having actually read his proof now, because the actual proof is maybe a third of his post, the rest being taken up by related but off-putting looking extra stuff.
    Sooo...that's a "yes" for Risk, then?

26. - Top - End - #1376

Don't be ridiculous. I came here to talk about maths, thus continuing the RB time loop which amplifies my superpowers.
    'sides, last time I played Risk it took 10 hours, so I'm hesitant to start a game at 1:30am.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Orc in the Playground

'sides, last time I played Risk it took 10 hours, so I'm hesitant to start a game at 1:30am.

I once played monopoly for 2 years. I lost.
    Thanks Dogmantra for the two-face dressed up as him.
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/49682
    Click the dragons please!

Thanks to Nevitan for the Two Scale Dragon Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you Nevitan

__________________________________________________ ____
    Last edited by (Big Brother):Today at Zero Hour.

28. - Top - End - #1378

Don't be ridiculous. I came here to talk about maths, thus continuing the RB time loop which amplifies my superpowers.
    It just means you'll stay up really late to finish the game, and exhaustion will make you lose. I don't see the problem with this.

29. - Top - End - #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    It just means you'll stay up really late to finish the game, and exhaustion will make you lose. I don't see the problem with this.
    I don't think Risk requires enough brainpower that I would be sufficiently impaired by exhaustion to make me lose if I was otherwise winning. But I'm disinclined to mess up my sleep pattern playing Risk over the internet.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ahh, endurance games. Hmm...

What do you do when your hat starts to smell like your dog and is developing a fine coating of lint and cat hair?

I'm trying to look for a lint roller, but I really don't wanna febreeze my hat anytime while it would be in ocntact with mein head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide