New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Who Wants to be a Superhero?

New show on the sci-fi channel has got me giddy. "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" takes a group of not-so-mild-mannered men and women and changes them into superheroes! I was watching the show with my mom, when I started to say..

"I haven't dreampt about being a superhero since I was a child... I mean, not for a while now... I mean, I've always wanted to be a superhero!"

Then I started thinking about what I would be like if I could be a super 8).

Most comic book heroes, I think, are too focused on defeating evil and thwarting bad guys. They don't realize that they cause horrendous amounts of casualties in the proscess, and stack up incredible amounts of collateral damage. Armed with this knowledge, my alter ego moves to help people get back to the lives they lost. I work to aid the common man, repair the damages, and to set an example of righteousness for the children.

I started to think of what my hero's name would be, and what his costume would look like. At first I was thinking, "insurance salesman." But that sucked :P. I also thought of going with black clothes with a reverend's collar, to kind of play up the righteousness bit, but some people are turned off by Christianity concepts. In order to be able to reach out and help anyone, the costume must reflect my will for an all-inclusive, respectful figure.

Then I thought, "an athlete is already like a hero!" And thus Major League was born.

Major League is a professional baseball player, who invests all of his money to aid the victims of crime. He needs no secret identity. In fact, he has no secrets, thus making him the perfect role model - someone the children can identify with.

Now, what superhero would be complete without super powers? The Major has super sensitive empathy, to better sense whether he's swingin' at a fastbally, or a curve ball. He can also sense when others are in distress, and help those in need. Though Major League abhors violence and always seeks peaceful resolutions to most situations, what pitch-hitter would be complete without a mean throwing arm and well trained proficiency in clubbin' (bats). Strength and speed come naturally to him, and his training has also taught him the fine art of real time strategies on and off the field.

With love, money, sportsmanship, and a strong sense of morality, I believe Major League is the greatest superhero ever!!

Don't be shy! What kind of super powers do you have? Do you have what it takes to be super? Post your powers here!

Oh, maybe I should make mention of the actual show...

The Iron Enforcer scares me. I don't like him at all. And Fat Momma should teach kids to be proud of there bodies WHILE encouraging them to eat healthy.

Also, Major Victory rocks my socks. "Be a winner, not a wiener!" He's so corny, he's looped back around to cool!

Here's the link: http://www.whowantstobeasuperhero.tv/
    Top Hat Circus LLC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Who Wants to be a Superhero?

Monkey Woman is made of win and good. Like Batman, but with cute monkies instead of grimy little flying rats.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Feedback, especially his catchphrase.
    That's so damn corny, it works!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    Monkey Woman is made of win and good. Like Batman, but with cute monkies instead of grimy little flying rats.

I'm glad someone else is pulling for Monkey Woman. Although she did screw up pretty bad in the first ep, she seemed REALLY hurt by that fact, and I highly doubt she'll mess up again. (Has Ep 2 been aired yet? I really don't watch enough T.V. to catch it...)

Lemuria needs to cover up. I don't like that the Sci Fi channel folks picked her SOLELY based on looks.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Ep. 2 airs tomorrow.

I have made up several superheroes, actually. My favorite has got to be The Vaccine. He's the cure for the common criminal. Infected with an alien, sentient bacteria, he has been given by them, in exchange for agreeing to be their host, the powers of superstrength, supersenses, super-reflexes, and super-balance. In fact, his balance is so refined that he can hang of the edge of a building by his toes. He also has access to a vast library of knowledge through the memories the bacteria keep of their old hosts. He uses these powers to fight crime and to help those who need him.

As for the show, I'm rooting for Major Victory, but you probably guessed that already.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deckmaster
    Ep. 2 airs tomorrow.

I have made up several superheroes, actually. My favorite has got to be The Vaccine. He's the cure for the common criminal. Infected with an alien, sentient bacteria, he has been given by them, in exchange for agreeing to be their host, the powers of superstrength, supersenses, super-reflexes, and super-balance. In fact, his balance is so refined that he can hang of the edge of a building by his toes. He also has access to a vast library of knowledge through the memories the bacteria keep of their old hosts. He uses these powers to fight crime and to help those who need him.

As for the show, I'm rooting for Major Victory, but you probably guessed that already.
    Dude, that is THE grosses hero ever!

"Stop right tha.. ah.. ACHOO!! ACHOO!! AH, ACHOO!!!"
    "Dude, don't give me your germs, man, nasty."

Who wants his hero to be a crusty eyed sicko with a nose dripping in snot? And intelligent bacteria ????

But I agree, I'm rooting for Major victory all the way! He's the only one who's really displayed merit as a hero. He kinda reminds me of Bender the Offender (Futurama), only he's cool - in a dorky sort of way.

"Be a winner, not a wiener!" - That's going in my signature...

Also, what was Lee thinking ????! I watched him eliminate the young Nitro G without batting an eye. Iron Enforcer has proven that, not only is he the scariest, but he is the most immature member in the whole bunch >:(. The only way I can reason why Nitro was given the boot was Lee was trying to focus on the one test, rather than the whole of it.

If Major League had been there, he would've at least tried to offer him Nitro a sidekick position as he packed up his bags...
    Top Hat Circus LLC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Let us not forget...though it stretched the genre...a reality television series, and bad, loud, obnoxious, outside-the-box, jerky, pompous contestants make for good reality television.

Though, I think that Stan Lee or the producers made a mistake, considering who their CORE audience should be for a show like this...comic fans. Getting rid of the 19 year old comic shop guy is probably a bad idea over the stupid useless pvc gun toting neaderthal that is Iron Enforcer.

Though, then again, here we sit discussing it, so it couldn't have been all bad.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A_Gray_Phantom
    Dude, that is THE grosses hero ever!

"Stop right tha.. ah.. ACHOO!! ACHOO!! AH, ACHOO!!!"
    "Dude, don't give me your germs, man, nasty."

Who wants his hero to be a crusty eyed sicko with a nose dripping in snot? And intelligent bacteria ????
    He's not sick. We've all got bacteria in us that do us no harm at all and are actually beneficial. This concept is that taken to the nth degree.

Though, his one weakness is penicillin. ;D

The crusty eyed sicko with a nose dripping in snot is actually his nemesis, The Plague. He's got a sentient virus. Nasty stuff.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, that sounds better, but "The Vaccine" doesn't quite seem like the right title. I mean, he's infected by sentient bacteria, so why is he called "The Vaccine?" Unless The Plague came first, and Vaccine then fought back, and thus came up with his name. Am I on the right track ;).

I'm still hoping that psycho Iron Enforcer gets the boot. He's scary.
    Top Hat Circus LLC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Major League sounds great indeed. It is great when you hear about the nice people in the world instead of the bad ones for a change.

Although i think this thread should be called "Who dosen't want to be Batman" ;)
    Inner Circle The Cookie Raid

Spoiler
    Show
    Credits: Avatar; ChrisTP Signature: Sneak, Trog, Ceika and Gengy
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Life is the set up and Death's the punchline line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    I give you the Master of sarcasm, (and puns).
    DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Aww, dammit! You know I can't smite you when you're wearing those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I watched the first ep last week with a mixture of amusement and horror. Amusement because, well, it was pretty entertaining and funny -- the superhero test and the little girl theatrically sobbing, "Where's my mommy?" Classic.

Horror because some of those folks were just plain scary. It's good to see people having fun and getting into it -- but is it me or are Major Victory and Monkey Woman (for example) just a little TOO into the whole superhero thing? Like they don't quite realize that after the cameras stop rolling, they have to go back into the real world and, y'know, work for a living.
    Thanks to Doihaveaname? for the custom avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Argent
    I watched the first ep last week with a mixture of amusement and horror. Amusement because, well, it was pretty entertaining and funny -- the superhero test and the little girl theatrically sobbing, "Where's my mommy?" Classic.

Horror because some of those folks were just plain scary. It's good to see people having fun and getting into it -- but is it me or are Major Victory and Monkey Woman (for example) just a little TOO into the whole superhero thing? Like they don't quite realize that after the cameras stop rolling, they have to go back into the real world and, y'know, work for a living.

But they don't...after the cameras stop rolling they're still on a reality show. They live there etc. etc. I believe.

And...I really don't know what you're talking about. They were in costume/in character the whole show, so they acted like their characters. That's part of the show's challenge.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin

But they don't...after the cameras stop rolling they're still on a reality show. They live there etc. etc. I believe.

And...I really don't know what you're talking about. They were in costume/in character the whole show, so they acted like their characters. That's part of the show's challenge.
    Yes, but after the show is over, they have to go back to their real lives. They won't be on reality TV forever. And as the roaring success (or lack thereof) of any post-show reality TV star shows, there ain't much demand for ex-Big Brother contestants after the season's over.

And yes, they're acting in character, but you can tell when someone's having trouble separating reality from their private little fantasies. We all know these people, the ones who think their comics/RPGs/LARPs are somehow realer than real life. Good example: the woman I ran into at Gen Con years ago who had a fantastic drow costume going -- black body paint, white hair, intricate costume, the whole shot. I complimented her on her costume only to be told, "it's not a costume, I really am a dark elf." I laughed and said, yeah, sure, great costume anyways. As I was walking away, she was still protesting that really, she WAS a dark elf! Someone had a bit of a perception problem there.

14. - Top - End - #14

Why not cite some examples of those two people not knowing fantasy from reality?

If we're going to be slanderous we really should back it up with something yes?

Er, right, in print it is Libel. ;D
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin
    Why not cite some examples of those two people not knowing fantasy from reality?

If we're going to be slanderous we really should back it up with something yes?

Er, right, in print it is Libel. ;D
    I sincerely hope you're kidding here. You're accusing a poster on a messageboard of libel over a discussion of a wannabe-superhero reality show? Yeesh. Discussion over.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Argent

I sincerely hope you're kidding here. You're accusing a poster on a messageboard of libel over a discussion of a wannabe-superhero reality show? Yeesh. Discussion over.

I'm going to copy this over from elsewhere:

"Hi,
    You may not remember me, but I'm your sense of humor. I'm the little being that's there to tell you when something isn't meant to be taken seriously. Somewhere along the way, you abandoned me in a truck stop. I really didn't appreciate that, but I'm back now, and would really love to be your companion again. I understand if you don't want me back, I'm sure you're getting along just fine being a boring person who over analyzes life.

Also, the sun says Hi, he thinks you should go outside more often.

Sincerely,
    Your Sense of Humor.

P.S. Please get back to me soon"
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

17. - Top - End - #17

TPATPAM needs to learn the definition of 'tongue in cheek'.

When is the second episode going to air? I've TiVo'd about 42 re-runs of the first episode, but either somehow missed the second or it hasn't been on yet.

On a seperate, somewhat related, topic: I'm really looking forward to Heroes this fall.

18. - Top - End - #18

I believe the seconde episode airs tonight...
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I've wanted to be a superhero forever. So when this season is over and they run it again, I'm totally trying out. I just need an awesome guise to assume.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Yes! The Iron Enforcer got kicked out...but shall return as the Dark Enforcer!

That's an awesome twist!

I can't wait until the next episode.

I hope they make a better costume for Tyveculus. Having to run around in his homemade duds after everyone else got a cool new costume just seems wrong, even though his old costume is still pretty cool.

21. - Top - End - #21

Major Victory is hilarious.

I'm still pulling for monkey woman, but it really seems unlikely.

Also her new costume isn't as good as her old one.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm very glad that Iron Enforcer was eliminated. I never like him, not from the beginning. I feel only slightly irrate at the fact that he'll still be sticking around, but I agree with Master Stan that he'd make one of the coolest villains!

I was suprised that Cell Phone Girl was dropped (get it? Dropped call..) Everytime I see her in the opening credits, she seems to have an especially cool costume. I thought she would've made it to the "new costume stage." Hm...

And Monkey Woman, Monkey Woman, Monkey Woman! I think I'm in love with Monkey Woman. She pressed on for ten minutes, and never gave up! She's my new favorite hero :-*... Er, next to Major Victory. Yes! That is the kind of girl I want to marry. She's probably an animal in bed (**snicker**).

Thank you, Mr. Death, for your compliment. I've always been at a loss as to why the hero usually disapears after he thwarts the villain. The job isn't done until after the cleanup stage. While it may be impossible for the public's lives to get back to normal, the hero should at least say a few words, or lend a hand. I think Superman does that sort of thing...

Major League is kind of like Batman, though. There isn't as much angst, nor a dark attitude, but I picture Major League to be more of a detective than an enforcer. He uses his well of money with much frugality and effect. (You can do anything with enough money). He always makes sure to use his speed and batting average as a last resort. And he has no secret identity, which makes influencing certain other members of society sometimes easier.

Indeed! If they do have a second Who Wants? then I'm also trying out ;D! See you there, Amanda ;).

I like how well the "contestants" are getting into character. More power to them :D!

P.S> Monkey Woman's last costume had immitation fur. Her new costume is a little more mature. After wrestling those dogs for as long as she did, she deserves a more "grown up" look.
    Top Hat Circus LLC

23. - Top - End - #23

Ok, watched the second installment last night.

I'm kinda warming up to the whole thing now.

I thought Monkey Woman was stupid at first, but after watching her wrestle with those attack dogs for almost 10 minutes, and wear both of them out to the point that she could then drag herself (and them) to the door, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with her level of determination.

Glad Iron Enforcer is gone. He seemed like just a big stupid lug with a lousy costume. Stan's twist of bringing him back as a Supervillain is a terrific homage to classic comic story writing-the old "Good guy gone bad" schtick. Cool.

"Cell Phone Girl"-dumb concept to begin with, and she was even worse in action. Glad she's gone, too.

Does it seem to anyone else that for a group of self-professed comic book junkies that most of them are missing the boat on some pretty obvious tests of superheroic character traits? Maybe it's easier watching from home, (in fact, it most probably is) but some of them have some pretty lousy judgement as far as embracing the personality traits of what it means to be heroic.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"-J. Lennon

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hungerdog
    Does it seem to anyone else that for a group of self-professed comic book junkies that most of them are missing the boat on some pretty obvious tests of superheroic character traits? Maybe it's easier watching from home, (in fact, it most probably is) but some of them have some pretty lousy judgement as far as embracing the personality traits of what it means to be heroic.
    That is what makes Major Victory so cool. He doesn't seem like the comic book type, but he plays the part well, and has passed all the tests so far.

And at first glance, Cell Phone Girl did seem like a dumb concept. Then I read her super powers and thought, "Hmm, that's unique." But she disgraced the superhero type by giving up so easily...
    Top Hat Circus LLC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hungerdog
    Ok, watched the second installment last night.

I'm kinda warming up to the whole thing now.

I thought Monkey Woman was stupid at first, but after watching her wrestle with those attack dogs for almost 10 minutes, and wear both of them out to the point that she could then drag herself (and them) to the door, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with her level of determination.

Glad Iron Enforcer is gone. He seemed like just a big stupid lug with a lousy costume. Stan's twist of bringing him back as a Supervillain is a terrific homage to classic comic story writing-the old "Good guy gone bad" schtick. Cool.

"Cell Phone Girl"-dumb concept to begin with, and she was even worse in action. Glad she's gone, too.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it more than I did the first episode. I'm glad Cell Phone Girl is gone -- I wonder how she made it onto the show in the first place. She didn't seem like she was really into the whole superhero thing -- everyone else seems like they WANT to be there, and she's very meh.

I like the Iron/Dark Enforcer thing -- I wonder if they brought IE onto the show with the express notion of turning him into a supervillain, or whether it was an opportunistic "hey, what if....?" idea.

Monkey Woman's irritating but I have to hand it to her -- to hang on for ten minutes while those dogs are dragging her around was amazing and I gotta give her major credit for determination.

And I'm liking Major Victory more and more -- I like his shtick where he knows he's a cheeseball and doesn't care.

Liking Lemuria's costume reboot. Hubba hubba.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

As for the whole superhero makeover thing, all the superheroes are shown in the promotional stuff in made-over duds, even Levity and Nitro-G. Except for Tyveculus. I think Stan liked his costume so much, he couldn't think of a way to improve it. At least, it was my favorite costume at the beginning.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, Tyv was the only one who did an AWESOME job on his home-made digs.

I'd actually rather they just leave him with that costume.
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I have to say that Major Victory is the only guy that really gets the whole thing.

He's picking up on the cues that lead to a really good silver age hero, just what Stan is looking for.

www.majorvictory.net

Yes, he has his own website, several of them do. I just find this the best with the vocalized links up top.

edit: eh yeah... .NET, ahem go about youre business

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uh, try this instead:

http://www.majorvictory.net/

Wee! I stayed up all night browsing my favorite heroes ;D. Now I need four hours of sleep beforing I go to work :P. Man I wish one of my powers was never having to sleep...
    Top Hat Circus LLC

30. - Top - End - #30

Cuuuuuuuuuuurse You Dark Enforcerrrrrrrrrrr! CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

I mourn the loss of Monkey Woman :'(
    "Aye"
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "No"
    "Damn."