New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Douglas Adams... :D

Yeah. Why, in the movie, was the ship shaped like a teacup? Why wasn't shaped like a running shoe?

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb Raven
    I just want to stress that im generalising... im saying that americans in general. And there is no way you can disagree with that. You live there :P dont kill me either
    I won't disagree wit you there, but stating things like that on this board, where most American members will at least have some appreciation, is not necessarily the smartest move.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33

I just want to stress that im generalising... im saying that americans in general. And there is no way you can disagree with that. You live there :P dont kill me either
    True. Not all US citizens get British humor.

TR, aren't you German? Do Germans have a sense of humor :D ?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dunno... and the doors didnt say " glad to be of service etc," they just sighed which made me sigh. Ah well i can understand why they didnt do so much in the movie. I liked the adition of the temple sermon to the great grean archleseizure and the comming of the great white handkerchief.

my fav quote:

"The Hagamemnon would have done to Charles Darwin about the same as what a group of Alcturan Stunt Apples would have done to Sir. Isaac Newto"

*i buggered the quote a bit but have no referance on hand to correct with

EDIT: Lol no i am not german i mearly live here. im half English half Polish. And no germans dont have a sense of humour. I am allowed to make fun of any nation i like cos im British :P and we are allowed ot do that cos we can take the piss out of ourselves just as well :P

Bah i know generalising is bad. I know loads of nice and intelligent americans and i know a lot of erm... typical ones. You cant really generalise about anything but im going to never the less.

Im sure there are good Douglas Quotes that directly would benefit my defence in this position but i cnat think of any :( except for his description of new york
    "I was born a cynical bastard, and ill die a cynical bastard"
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

_- FULL METAL BIOLOGIST -_

~Retired Avatarist~

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

I think it's fair to say that Brits and Americans have different senses of humor. This is quite clear when you watch American sitcoms and British sitcoms.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

True, which is why the magority of americans dont find british humour funny. *shrug* although nowadays the hip brit prolly wouldnt get it either. whats the world comming to.

Raven
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

~Retired Avatarist~

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Do Brits find American stuff funny? Or is just too funny for you guys?

8. - Top - End - #38

EDIT: Lol no i am not german i mearly live here. im half English half Polish. And no germans dont have a sense of humour. I am allowed to make fun of any nation i like cos im British :P and we are allowed ot do that cos we can take the piss out of ourselves just as well :P
    Thanks for clarifying that. Let me say that a lot of Americans find British humor funny. Hence the success of Monty Python and Benny Hill, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, etc.

Of course, we like Canadian humor too, such as the Red Green show.

Bah i know generalising is bad. I know loads of nice and intelligent americans and i know a lot of erm... typical ones. You cant really generalise about anything but im going to never the less.

Im sure there are good Douglas Quotes that directly would benefit my defence in this position but i cnat think of any :( except for his description of new york
    My Dad always told me I was Scottish, Irish, and Danish. I've found that my ancestry is more Danish and German than anything else. My wife is mostly Norwegian. I'm sure our ancestry has some sense of humor, though. We're a pretty funny bunch. Or maybe it's just sarcasm ;D

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Well, if you were raised American, your ancestry probably has little to do with your sense of humor. More of a cultural thing.

Scientists have yet to find the funny gene.

10. - Top - End - #40

I think I have a funny gene. It's located somewhere near my elbow.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Im sure they do it being so base :P

No im kidding, yeah we like it. I especialy liek a lot of the simpsons and futurama. It realy very funny.

Anyway i think this is kinda drifting so lets shake hands and make up.

Raven
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

~Retired Avatarist~

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

I especialy liek a lot of the simpsons and futurama.
    I think those two shows are the closest to British comedy mainstream America produces. Take Friends or uh... I don't watch TV, so I really know what's on. But it's definitely the same type of funny British humor is.

American humor is loud and obvious. Compare the stand up Robin Williams and Jim Carrey (originally a Canadian) with Eddie Izzard.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

So what about those Americans who find that the English get their jokes far better than their fellow Americans do?

This board is probably CHOCK full of them, actually.

Case in point:
    When I was about 13, at school, we were supposed to fill in the end of a sentence for English class. "Make it funny!" the teacher told us.

The sentence: "Gilbert believes in himself, but ________________."

Everyone else in the class had some variation on "but he shouldn't throw himself off buildings." Or "but he shouldn't try to fly." (essentially the same thing, anyway..)

Mine was, "but others prefer more mainstream religions."

I thought I had comedy GOLD. (Well, yes, I was 13.) When I read mine, though, not only did nobody laugh.. but nobody could seem to understand what the humor was supposed to BE. A few moments of awkward silence, and the English teacher sort of fumbles, "Well.. it's a very DRY kind of humor."

Then again, I'm a confirmed Anglophile.. seen it all from Jeeves and Wooster to Mulberry; thought the HHG (hey, original topic, fancy meeting you here) was the funniest book ever the first time I read it, currently have a British flag hanging on the door to my room (funny things you find cleaning) and frankly, I am DYING to put the "u" back in "humour." Don't have clearance, though. Is there a form you have to fill out? Can I get authorisation authorization while I'm at it, or is that a seperate ministry?

Edit: Move AUX; Do insertion
    Runs on Earl Grey. Refuels daily at 4.&&\"What Haley Said\" Official Compilation-http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1148000972 &&&&I have \"authorisation\" authorisation (formerly \"\'authorisation\' authorization\") now!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf71
    2. Spoiler When Zaphod climbs out through the window into the universe made especially for him, he never climbs back in. As such, everything that happens after that point does not actually happen.
    Actually, (spoiler -->)Zarniwoop turns off his briefcase, which is generating the fake universe.

Also i doubt the world portrayed in the movie, the universe i mean is anything how h imagined it. It seems way too bleak and vogon orientated. In his books its much more colourfull (unless you are on the planet nowhere with the bog hogs (not sure if thats the name)) a lively place full of parties with improbabilit generators flinging underwear around. And the neverending quest for drinks. The movie seems a bit... dull... in that respect.

And most importantly they completely omited the towel entry in the guide, the towels must have been a complete oddity and mistery to people who havnt read the book.

WTF why are those guys running away from a man with a towel.
    The film is only of the first book, so the planet NowWhat and the flying party haven't appeared yet.

Also, i think the randomness of the towel makes it funny, it's a towel for Bob's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Howard
    Case in point:
    When I was about 13, at school, we were supposed to fill in the end of a sentence for English class. "Make it funny!" the teacher told us.

Everyone else in the class had some variation on "but he shouldn't throw himself off buildings." Or "but he shouldn't try to fly." (essentially the same thing, anyway..)

That's a great ending to the sentence, it cracks me up. Shows the difference between British and American humour, seeing as i'm British.

Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great White Shark, suddenly you've gone 'too far'.
    -Prof. Farnsworth, Futurama (Best TV Show Ever)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Case in point:

HAHAHA thats realy funny :P

Personaly i would have writen.

but he doesnt want to encourage a new form of streat art.

or

but he doesnt believe in pop art.

hmmm British stand ups are also realy good Jasper Carrot for example is one of my favourites. Old now :( i dont watch much tv anymore so i dunno any realy new ones.

Raven
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

~Retired Avatarist~

16. - Top - End - #46

Imp

So what about those Americans who find that the English get their jokes far better than their fellow Americans do?

Case in point:

I thought I had comedy GOLD. (Well, yes, I was 13.) When I read mine, though, not only did nobody laugh.. but nobody could seem to understand what the humor was supposed to BE. A few moments of awkward silence, and the English teacher sort of fumbles, "Well.. it's a very DRY kind of humor."

Then again, I'm a confirmed Anglophile.. seen it all from Jeeves and Wooster to Mulberry; thought the HHG (hey, original topic, fancy meeting you here) was the funniest book ever the first time I read it, currently have a British flag hanging on the door to my room (funny things you find cleaning) and frankly, I am DYING to put the "u" back in "humour." Don't have clearance, though. Is there a form you have to fill out? Can I get authorisation authorization while I'm at it, or is that a seperate ministry?

Honestly I laughed out loud right there (took me a second for me to get it, I'm not good with written humour because I can't hear tones which throws off my sense of humour badly.). I laugh out loud like once monthly without somebody laughing and overpowering my weak strength of personality forcing me to laugh (I laughed of my own free will). And, for reference, I'm a 13 year old american so we aren't all oblivious. On the other hand, I am the homeschooled child of an english teacher, which may or may not have something to do with it.

Spoonless Jedi: You built your own computer? At the age of Seven? Dear god, I do hope you work for NASA or somethign so my puny little ego doesn't have to poof out of existence (seriously, what the hell?). Wait a second, your born on a leap year day and count your age as the number of birthdays you've had don't you?

Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy: I don't get it.
    Brevity is the soul of wit

17. - Top - End - #47

Case in point:

Had I been in your class you would have had at least one hearty laugh from that.

On the topic of American humor, has How I Met Your Mother made it overseas yet? It's the only sitcom I watch these days. Who knew "Doogie Howser" could be so funny.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr

Spoonless Jedi: You built your own computer? At the age of Seven? Dear god, I do hope you work for NASA or somethign so my puny little ego doesn't have to poof out of existence (seriously, what the hell?). Wait a second, your born on a leap year day and count your age as the number of birthdays you've had don't you?
    Ha. I wish I had the qualifications to work for NASA. Unfortunately, as a mere college student, I simply work for Best Buy, giving advice on which hard drives to buy.

Coincidentally, I've always been fascinated with our leap-year system, and would be thrilled to have a birthday on February 29. Sadly, my parents did not take this into consideration when spawning me.

Thanks for the ego-boost, though, Cyr. ^_^
    "Why do we DnD players have large collections of colorful, shiny dice? Because we figure we might as well not get laid in style."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't Gary Howard, that made me laugh quite a bit.

Personally, I loved the Hitchhiker's Guide, and to a lesser extent Dirk Gently, and they're right up there with Discworld for funniest books I've ever read.

As for English vs. American humour/-or I am an American, but generally prefer British. Some of the funniest movies I've ever watched are Holy Grail and the Life of Brian (not Meaning of Life, it didn't appeal to me), and I just finished watching the boxed set of Flying Circus. Of course, Monty Python is not the be all, end all of British humour, but the only thing I found with it being really not funny was near the end of the series where it just sort of fizzeld out for me. And in fact, the biggest problem I had there was that it felt like they had some very good joke, but they were killing them by trying to squeeze too many of them into each sketch and being drowned in the attempted comedy. Some of the links and recurring jokes used between their sketches were hilarious, namely the one used in the Travel Agency episode where the phone rings and the person answers it, says "yes" several times and then takes off his shoe, tells the size, puts it back on, says "yes some more,...

I teleported home one night
    With Rob, and Sid, and Meg
    Rob stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got SIdney's leg.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

20. - Top - End - #50

NecromancerGirl

Praise Adams! Now there's a frood who knew where his towel was!

Seriously, I can't stand to let this thread sink to the nether reaches of "not the first page." Yeah, I know the conversation died, but... but... this is the greatest thread ever!
    "Why do we DnD players have large collections of colorful, shiny dice? Because we figure we might as well not get laid in style."

21. - Top - End - #51

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonlessJedi
    Praise Adams! Now there's a frood who knew where his towel was!

Seriously, I can't stand to let this thread sink to the nether reaches of "not the first page." Yeah, I know the conversation died, but... but... this is the greatest thread ever!
    While I love Hitchhicker's Guide and try to find an excuse to say "so long, and thanks for all the fish as often as possible," my favorite Douglas Adams book is The Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul, a sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, a wry investigation of the troubles plaguing the Norse gods in 20th century Britain. Marvelous.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

So how about you tell us your favourite douglas adams quotes?

Raven

Ill post some of mine later
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

~Retired Avatarist~

23. - Top - End - #53

Favorite quotes? Do you really want to do that, because just about anything he said could be considered a great quote. Here are a couple that I can think of right off the top of my head:

I teleported home one night
    With Rob, and Sid, and Meg
    Rob stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got SIdney's leg.

You are the most benightedly unintelligent piece of organic matter that it has ever been my most supreme displeasure not being able to avoid meeting.

An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

24. - Top - End - #54

We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh no, not again"

If you think my screen name was randomly chosen out of a hat, you are much mistaken.

My all time favorite line is:

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

26. - Top - End - #56

Another one:

"I'd trust him ot the end of the Earth."
    "And when is that exactly?"
    "Oh, about twelve minutes"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Zaphod, id like you to know that i respect you. Just not very much."
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

~Retired Avatarist~

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

i have only read the first three and they are fatastic

i need to get around to reading the rest ...

but they rock hardcore!

and he is a genius
    Cthulhu for president : don't accept the lesser of two evils.

Wicked Avatars c/o : The one, the only, needing no introduction ... Ceika!!!

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

Am I the only one who has read The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul?! :(
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

30. - Top - End - #60

I did and the other Dirk Gently, and they were good as well. I can't put my finger on which was better: those or the Hitchhiker's Guides.

"Let's go out and meet the ineffeable, and see if it might be effed after all."