New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Over-rated/Under-rated

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniel

As much entertaining as Wrestling (WWE, RAW, SMACKDOWN).
    A true statement if you don't like either.
    A polar bear is just a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniel

As much entertaining as Wrestling (WWE, RAW, SMACKDOWN).
    Wrestling has energy beams now? Damn, I gotta tune in one of these times.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

over-rated harry potter

I'm sorry, but they are okay but not great.

under-rated alan dean foster

asome wirter, great books.

(this should be in SMBG)
    masked troupe&&&&&&&&LEGIONARY MAJORDOMO&&&&

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athanatos

Wrestling has energy beams now? Damn, I gotta tune in one of these times.
    Can you see what the Rock is laz0ring?
    Taking Over The World, One Tangent At A Time

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Overrated: Angsty/angry music. Nuff said.

Underrated: Almost Famous, my favorite movie ever. Beautiful movie, beautiful female lead and a beautiful scene involving a bus and a certain Elton John song. Watching that movie makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.
    *Insert random Terry Pratchett quote here*

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Overrated - Nirvana

Underrated - Pixies

Not sure this is quite on-topic, but having just gone through a draft:

Overrated - QBs in Fantasy Football

Underrated - TEs in Fantasy Football (only applicable in leagues where TEs get their own position)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Over Rated: Golf.

Under Rated: Vanilla Ice Cream.
    Mercy is the mark of a great man.
    *stab*
    Guess I'm just a good man.
    *stab*
    Well, I'm alright.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Overrated: Poker. It's a fun game, but there are about 3,500 versions and counting out there... Texas Hold 'Em wasnt good enough?
    Underrated: Table manners. 'Nuff said.
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Overrated: Zerg Swarms... and rushes.
    Underrated: Protoss Zelots
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Tursho
    Guest in the Playground

Overrated: Emo. Please, no more Dashboard Confessional.

Underrated: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, though I could understand why. The guy's voice is a love/hate sort of thing.

Overrated: Speed metal, thrash metal. M'kay kids, now we're going to record music then send the bpm rate up into the sky, because that makes us more metal than thou. Alright, some of it is okay, but... why? Are you hyperactive? Also, have you ever tried headbanging to speed metal? By the Noodly One, that really doesn't work well. Listen to Emperor instead, okay?

Underrated: Drone metal, sludge metal. Nice trippy slatherings of odd chords and stuff, but not enough people like it.

Overrated: "working class" Britpop. Okay cool, so you're not middle class. Oh, you're not middle class you say? Wow, nice song there, about how you're working class and not middle class.

Underrated: Shoegazing. The music style, though the past time is also pretty good. But really. Listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, you should get what I'm saying.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tursho
    Listen to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, you should get what I'm saying.
    Done and Done. :D
    Mercy is the mark of a great man.
    *stab*
    Guess I'm just a good man.
    *stab*
    Well, I'm alright.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Overrated: Naruto. Watch it if you want to see episode after episode of a kid in an orange jumpsuit defecating on the concept of a ninja, while experiencing flashbacks lasting large fractions of the half-baked pile of trash they call an episode.

Underrated: Individuality. Its like everyone wants to be in some sort of clique these days.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Overrated:
    I'm with Vaniel on The Chronicles of Narnia, provided he's only referring to the movie. Absolutely hated it. Of course, I am something of a purist...I disliked the LotR movies as well.

Robert Jordan! Read the first two books, they drove me up the wall. Tiresome, repetitive, not a single likeable character I could find.

Underrated: Starting a DnD campaign at level one. Maybe this is just due to newbishness, but I do not understand why the DM's I've played with so far can't stomach a campaign under level ten. I don't care if I can't dispatch ten goblins with a single swipe, or my wizard still can't vaporize an entire town. Adventure is about struggle, suffering, fighting against the odds! I find it MORE exciting the weaker my character is, because that makes things just more challenging. Yes, you can ratchet up the challenge by throwing more and more ridiculously high-powered monsters out there, but that gets tiresome. I'll stop now before this turns into a rant. :P

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

^ I hate starting at anything other than 1 or 2. I'm with ya there. :)
    If you have made an avatar for me, do not worry. I have them saved. Your work was not wasted. The reason I am not showing them right now may be because I feel they should be shown off at a better point in time.&&&&Orange Zergling doll by Sneak.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Over-rated: Starbucks. They're literally on every corner around here. There are a few blocks downtown where there are two on the same side of the street on one block and another on the other side of the street. GRAH!

Under-rated: Death to Smoochy. Hilarious movie.
    Jenn-doll compliments of Danielf! :)

Duct tape is like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

"Cheese is the devil's plaything." - House

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyjenn97
    Over-rated: Starbucks. They're literally on every corner around here. There are a few blocks downtown where there are two on the same side of the street on one block and another on the other side of the street. GRAH!

Lewis Black has a funny bit about how there are too many Starbucks.

Death to Smoochy! I can't believe anyone else has heard of this movie. I can vouch for the fact that is hilarious. It's a dark comedy that is actually funny.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Major Geek
    Lewis Black has a funny bit about how there are too many Starbucks.
    I love that one. Heck, I love all his stuff. I'm putting him in as "under-rated."

Quote Originally Posted by Major Geek
    Death to Smoochy! I can't believe anyone else has heard of this movie. I can vouch for the fact that is hilarious. It's a dark comedy that is actually funny.
    Definitely. It's a great movie. I love Norton's character, and Williams does a great job vacillating between weirdly creepy and outrageously funny (and at all the right spots, too). They play really well off each other, since Norton is, as usual, pretty low key. And I love the mobsters.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Under-rated:
    Endings. There are many comics, many manga, many webcomics, many book series, many books and many tv series that would have been better had they already ended. I enjoyed Wheel of Time books. I stopped around book 12 of the Finnish translation (~ 5 or 6 in of the originals) IIRC. I have long since stopped enjoying webcomics in which nothing happens. I was never a big Stargate fan, but others have commented that the end of the Goa-Uld war would have made a fine ending. The Bold and the Beautiful, Dallas, Berserk-manga and other series that last over a decade, or multiple decades, are fit right in.

Over-rated:
    Stagant and/or unchanging as a positive thing:
    See above examples. Some things were good. Some old things still are good. However, if something is just copied again and again and again, it becomes old.

Over-rated:
    Superlatives. I'll use the Gaming section as an example.
    Why ask for "the best build"? Isn't "a powerful build" good enough? Wouldn't "a build that does this" be a better question more often if you have any idea for a character? Many people ask for all of these things. I believe that those who buy for the most powerful build get the least out of it: they don't get the joy of having invented it, or the joy of trying it out because everything was explained to them, or the joy of succeeding against odds with a sub-optimal character. I know play styles differ, this is just an opinion.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Overrated: Titanic. I hate that movie with such a passion. The only part of the movie I found watchable was the band playing while the ship is sinking.

Underrated: Hulk. The editing was alot like a comic book, and for the most part, they stayed true to the form that Bruce Banner's biggest enemy is the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by happyjenn97

At least you don't have everyone and their brother thinking that you like coffee 'cause you live near the Seattle area (but, i can in fact smell the difference between several different brands, taste, no way. i put far too much sugar in my coffee to ever taste the difference)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Golf is awesome! Poker is awesome! All kinds of metal make my ears bleed and my brain sigh! Over-rated: Other people's opinions! :P

If you don't like golf then clearly you're not lazy enough. If you don't like poker then clearly you don't like lying and taking things from your friends (and strangers) enough. As for metal, whatever happened to music that actually sounded good and had melodies and stuff? :)

Flame away, for today I wear my over-sized asbestos hat and waistcoat.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

The most underrated band ever (and also imho the BEST band ever) are Mr Bungle.
    Things I'm not allowed to do while gaming:

64. My paladin's battle cry is not "Good for the Good God"

81. A picture of my ex-wife is not an acceptable backup weapon.

88. My bard does not get a bonus to perform if she is obviously not wearing anything under her tabard.

108. No, I do not get XP for every single crewman on that Star Destroyer.

22. - Top - End - #82

Over-rated: John Lennon and Paul McCartney

They're a great songwriting team, and they wrote some of the best songs of all time. But they're not the best songwriters of all time. Hell, they're not even the best songwriters in the Beatles.

Under-rated: George Harrison

This guy was the best songwriter in the Beatles. His songs were the highlight of Abbey Road, my personal favorite Beatles album, and he was the lead guitarist. Hear a solo in a Beatles song, the odds are it's him. And he only went up after the Beatles broke up. He had a whole bunch of unpublished songs because John and Paul only gave him two song slots per album. While John and Paul were busy having little spats, George organized Concert for Bangladesh, the first wide-scale charity concert and released All Things Must Pass, a whopping three-disc album that was full of gems that he had like All Things Must Pass, If Not For You (written for him as a favor by Bob Dylan, What Is Life, My Sweet Lord, and Isn't It A Pity. One of the best things about Harrison is that he was genuinely a nice guy. That's why, unlike the other members of the Beatles, he was still able to work with other people. IIRC, he's the only member of the Beatles who worked with every other member of the Beatles. John and Paul avoided each other like the plague, and Ringo never worked with John. George was hugely underrated and was always overshadowed by his bandmates.
    a secret to everybody.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar
    Nausicaä is somewhat underrated; the animation stands up remarkably well despite being 22 years old, and the world is just amazing (the manga is even better and much more epic in scope).
    Amen to that. I saw the movie after reading the manga, and my reaction was: "Dude! Where are the dorok and the forest people and the wormhandlers and..." Well, you get the idea.

Over-rated: Coffee. Its smells awesome and tastes horrible. 'Nuff said.

Under-rated: Books/reading. Probably not by people on these boards, but among 'outsiders' ;)...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGlutter
    EAT A BISCUIT, GIRL!!
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

- Hey, now, let's keep things professional. I'm not one of those disgusting biophiliacs.

one thing commoners do well is work and build stuff. - the_tick_rules

Characters
    Loft Flombard - Underdark Kidnapping

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old el Paso
    I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
    'Put on weight, you look like a scarecrow' is the general message.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Overrated: Monty Python. It's funny, sure, but stop proclaiming it to be the be-all-end-all of comedy. And Meaning of Life sucked.

Underrated: Blackadder. TRUE British humor.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Athanatos
    Overrated: Monty Python. It's funny, sure, but stop proclaiming it to be the be-all-end-all of comedy. And Meaning of Life sucked.

Underrated: Blackadder. TRUE British humor.
    Bits of The Meaning Of Life are funny. The tiger scene and the WWII one stick in memory the most. I still can't watch the fat guy explode at the end, though. Appreciating Python, like many so-called 'classics', often requires also appreciating its context, specifically its time and its peers.

And yeah, Blackadder does dominate. Apart from the first series which was just dire. On the basis of that one, it makes me wonder how the rest even got made at all.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

I agree, I didn't like Meaning of Life either, and the otehr moveis may not be the ultimate and comedic entertainment, but I'd be hardpressed to find another that makes me laugh quite so hard.

As for Flying Circus itself: it had a lot of very good sketches, thought towards the end they had a problem with cramming too many jokes into one skit which sort of killed just about all of them. I do have to say that they had the best links/recurring bits betweeen scenes of any similar show I have ever seen. An example that comesto mind; Stop I'm <Insert Animal> of Sctoland Yard, Airborne Division. It started off with Fox and teh resposne was *Gasp*"Flying Fox of the Yard?", and then animals only got more rediculous up until "Flying Thompson's Gazelle of the yard at the end of the argument sketch.

I've never noticed them to be over-rated per se, though I do know of mayn otehr comedies that are underrated.

Airplane for one. That is at least as funny as Holy Grail, though in a completeyl different manner. Holy Grail is silly in a witty, clever way, whereas Airplane does whatever you least expect and is easily more full of great quotes. I'm still dying to use something along the lines of "From the hospital? What is it?" "Oh it's a big building with patients." And the last comic contains a reference in "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing pixie dust."
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Under-rated: Rugby. It's harsh but fun, and so totally not gay.

Personally, Meaning Of Life is my favourite Python Film. It may not be the cult classic that its predecessors were, but I'd have to say I find it more watchable and less grating in the long-run than either of Life Of Brian or Holy Grail.

[EDIT: Airplane rocks.]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Over-rated-
    Emo. Seriously. Get a life. I don't see why they wallow in their angst like a bunch of eyeliner-wearing hippos.

Under-rated-
    Mott the Hoople. I don't know anyone that has even heard of them.