1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4e] Warbreaker, Need Help with Campaign Setting

I've been working on this for a few days and I think I've got most of the mechanical stuff I want done. But I have never been very good with fluff. I did my best to fill out the races and nations but I have hit a wall.

I need ideas for other nations, how Arcane fits into the setting, and any other additions you think would help. Please read over this thread and the linked Bio-Chromatic magic thread in order to get a feel for what I have done so far.

Warbreaker

Hallendren, the city of colors, the city of Gods. Hallendren is both the name of the country, and the capital city itself. Nestled on the banks of the great inland sea Hallendren is a temperate and fertile land, which suits well it's economy based on the cultivation of brilliantly colored local flowers for use in dyes and various foodstuffs.

Most of the land in Hallendren is sparsely populated, with most of the populace itself crowded into the massive complex of Hallendren city.

Once Hallendren was ruled by the Royals, put in place by Austre and gifted with the Royal Locks. The mark of a Royal is their color shifting hair, which changes to match their moods and can be grown at will.

The Royals, and in fact most of Hallendren at that time, worshiped Austre God of Colors. But with the discovery of BioChromatic Breath the country began to fragment. BioChromatic Breath, Awakening, and the Lifeless. All of these things were outlawed under Royal Decree, on order of the Austrian church. Yet many explored these dark sciences regardless.

Then came Kalad the Usurper. His origin is lost in the mists of time and legend, but all know the name of Kalad, a name used to frighten children. Kalad perfected the creation of Lifeless and with his unholy armies he laid waste to Hallendren, conquering all that stood before him.

With Hallendren city in chaos and the Royal forces scattered other smaller protectorates and states broke away from the empire. They fought and squabbled amongst themselves over land, resources, and Breath.

This later came to be called the Manywar. Nation rose and fell like the waves of the ocean, thousands upon thousands were killed, and civilization collapsed. The Royals fled into the highlands, founding the nation of Idris in the upper passes.

Kalad was eventually defeated by Peacegiver, who then went on to end the Manyway through decades of diplomacy. With the Royals fled and Kalad no more the people turned to Peacegiver to rule them. Peacegiver was a Returned, and thus he became the first God King of Hallendren.

Three hundred years later the city of Hallendren is ruled by the current God King Susebron, and the Court of the Gods. The Court is a collection of Returned and their requisite priests forming the governing body of the nation.

Outside of Hallendren's borders much of the world has fallen into savagery. The nations of Goblinkind press in on the periphery. Tensions between Hallendren and Idris fester quietly, on the brink of outright war as they have been for centuries.

Bio-Chromatic Magic

The Races

Human - Overall the most common race in all the civilized nations. Alignments and personalities vary wildly between regions. On average an Idrian will be reserved and polite, sometimes cold and distant. At worst they are self-righteous and judgemental. They are commonly of Lawful Alignment. A Hallendrite will usually be friendly and flamboyant, prone to bright colors and overblown shows of emotion. At worst they are vindictive and cruel, at best they are helpful and free. They are usually of a Chaotic Alignment.

Dwarves - Large clans of Dwarves work the mines and forges in the Idrian Highlands, they are very uncommon in Hallendren itself. They are a stolid and humble people, working quietly and taking pride in their craftsmanship. Most worship Austre in his Craftsman aspect (treat as worshiping Moradin for the purposes of feats and items)

Elves - Elves are commonly found in the Rainforests of Southern Hallendren, and among Hallendren city itself. Many take up some form of Art as artistic expression is highly valued by worshipers of the Iridescent Tones. They are a free spirited and peaceful people preferring the lush gardens of Hallendren to the stony mountains of Idris.

Half-Elves - Unheard of anywhere outside of Hallendren city. They can be like Elves or Humans and of any alignment. There are no real unifying factors for the Half-elves.

Half-Orc - Some of the smaller nations at the end of the Manywar did not fight with their goblinkind invaders and instead made peace, and eventually, interbred. Half-Orcs are seen as a curiosity in Hallendren and met with disdain in Idris where they are commonly called "Mongrels."

Goliaths - Concentrated almost entirely in Pahn Kahl. They are gruff and serious. There is a simmering resentment of Hallendren rule. Rather than residing in the mountains they roam the limestone caverns of the Pahn Kahl lowlands.

Gnomes - Mysterious traders from across the Inland Sea these diminuitive humanoids speak much too quickly and are generally confusing to everyone. Their massive freighters bring amazing goods from across the sea in exchange for vats of Hallendren dye.

Goblinoids - This includes, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears and Orcs. These races make up the savage tribes on the outskirts of Hallendren. They are uncommon among the civilized lands but not completely unknown as slaves or servants.

The Nations

As political bodies go there are two major nations who remain after the Manywar, and one smaller protectorate under the rule of Hallendren.

Hallendren - The largest remaining nation in the Inland sea region. Mostly agrarian, with large plantations spread throughout the fertile plains. The southern portion of Hallendren is overrun with dense Rainforest and home to the Elves.

To the northeast the land becomes increasingly rocky and mountainous until eventually reaching the highlands of Idris. To the southeast along the banks of the Inner sea is the small nation of Pahn Kahl. To the west are the former nations of Kuth and Huth.

Residents of Hallendren are usually Olive skinned, though there is a wide variety of hues and hair colors among the populace. Due to the wide variety and low price of dye most Hallendrites wear flamboyantly bright colors and a wide variety of clothing.

The government is Theocratic, with the Court of the Gods dealing with day to day governance and the God King acting in a more ceremonial role. The Hallendren army numbers only 30,000 living troops, but an additional 40,000 Lifeless warrior under direct command of the Court of the Gods.

Awakeners and Lifeless are very common all throughout Hallendren. Lifeless are commonly used as laborers or guards. Breath is easy to obtain in the city itself as anyone in need of money in the city is usually willing to sell their Breath. The buying and selling of Breath is very relaxed in Hallendren.

Idris - The Idrian highlands are home to the Royal family of Hallendren as well as the church of Austre. The entire population of Idris is barely even with the city of Hallendren itself. Idris survives through the wealth generated by it's rich mineral deposits and it's lucrative trade routes.

Idris holds 5 of the 6 passable routes through the mountains, the only way to reach the other civilized nations.

The people of Idris are conservative and restrained, commonly wearing dull and drab clothing which covers their entire bodies. It is considered immodest to wear clothing which exposes... just about anything.

Idrians see Hallendrites as crass and arrogant, not to mention heathens. Austrian teachings say that the Breath is synonymous with the Soul, buying and selling Breath is the ultimate blasphemy against Austre in their minds.

Lifeless are completely unheard of in Idris, they are considered abominations and no Idrian would willingly own or use one. In addition there is no market for Breath in Idris, it is almost impossible to obtain.

The governance of Idris is a monarchy under the Royal family. Due to the strict adherence to Austrian teachings the Royals live simply, and the palace would only be considered a modest home in Hallendren city. Nonetheless the Royals have command of nearly 50,000 troops and some of the most defensible passes in the land.

Pahn Kahl - The only smaller nation to have rejoined Hallendren since the Manywar, or as the Pahn Kahls would say, "The only nation to be reconquered by Hallendren."

Pahn Kahls worship neither Austre nor the Iridescent Tones but have a general reverence of nature and a form of Ancestor worship tied up heavily with spirits and animism.

Pahn Kahl has very few Arcane or Divine organizations and is controlled by Primal Shamans and Druids. It is also the only noteworthy population of Goliaths.

Kuth and Huth - To the West of Hallendren, as the lush jungles transition into barren plains and steppes is the land of what was once Kuth and Huth. The northern half is Kuth, the southern is Huth. Both nations were once military superpowers and the main rivals of Kalad during the Manywar.

As the fighting wound down Kuth and Huth were among those nations to fall, and never rise again. They are now nearly devoid of civilization, ruled by the Goblinoids and their bestial kin.

Still many strange and wondrous relics and ruins lurk within the barren lands of Kuth and Huth, magics far removed from the science of BioChroma were once commonplace in Kuth and Huth, and some of their great works linger on.

The Governance of Kuth and Huth (if it can be called that) is Tyranny. Despotic Warlords and their various clans battle for resources, land, slaves and their own general bloodlust. The flatter prairie of Huth is dominated by Gnoll packs and Bugbear clans while the slightly rockier Kuth is home to Goblin and Hobgoblin settlements. As they draw closer to the border with Hallendren there are cities where Orc, Half-Orc and Humans live together in what approximates harmony (you probably won't get murdered, but mugging is more of a friendly hello)

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is based on the novel Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. so lots of stuff is copyrighted by him and I don't own any of it blah blah blah. Anyway I need help making it less of the source material and adding more DnD spin to it.

Especially need momre nations and organizations especially for the Arcane power source classes.
    Last edited by Limos; 2009-08-08 at 02:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [4e] Warbreaker, Need Help with Campaign Setting

Saved for Future additions

Officially done everything I can think to do, could use some suggestions, criticisms and so on.

3. - Top - End - #3

Really? Not a single person is willing to help me out? A single idea, that's all I'm asking people.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this based on a book?
    Marvelous avatar by the brilliant and illustrious Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5

It is indeed, Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I had to try and find places for other races seeing as the source material was all humans.

I don't really think it's fair to force everyone to play human, and for that matter for everyone to play a martial class.

I know I had a credit to that somewhere in here. It must have gotten deleted in one of my edits.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the problem is that people are never sure where to help when someone translates a pre-existing setting into D&D terms. There isn't room for that much new material and there's a whole world with a lot of subtleties and nuances that the rest of us aren't aware of.
    Marvelous avatar by the brilliant and illustrious Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7

Updated this a wee bit, I still think it needs one more race that fits in with the others. One that gets an Intelligence bonus, since none of the others do so far. Lots of Strength, Constitution, Charisma and Wisdom, but no Intelligence.

Added Kuth and Huth as the homeland of the various Goblinoids.

8. - Top - End - #8

GreenSorcererElf

smile Re: [4e] Warbreaker, Need Help with Campaign Setting

Perhaps the intelligent race could be a sort of shapeshifting colourchanging creature, that bends the colours around it to make itself appear different. Perhaps call them Khroma.

With Hallendren a place of nature, their should really be a race centered around nature, that are sort of humanoid plants. Perhaps call them Katatosk.

Nearly all the names I make up, both here and in other places, are wordplays on Greek and Latin.