The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5][Magic Weapon Special Ability] Breaking.

Breaking: On a successful critical hit, the tip of the weapon with the breaking special ability snaps off, lodging in the flesh of the enemy. Unless treated with a DC 20 heal check, on removal the shard deals as much damage as it did entering. It takes a full-round action to remove the shard, whether the check was successful or not.

In addition, while lodged, the shard inflicts a penalty on skill checks, saves and attack rolls dependant on the critical multiplier of the weapon. For a x2 critical multiplier, the penalty is -2, for a x3 weapon it is -4, and for a x4 weapon it is -6. Multiple shards stack.

Almost instantly after breaking off, the tip of the weapon regrows. Creatures immune to critical hits are not affected by this weapon special ability.

Caster level: 5th; Prequisites: Craft magic arms and armor, Bestow Curse; Market price: +2 bonus.

What do you think? Balanced, or not? I think it's a bit overpowered right now, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Reduce the penalty? Make it not stack? Up the market price? Make the penalty same for all weapons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5][Magic Weapon Special Ability] Breaking.

Probably balanced about where it is...

Now you need a similar thing that hurts less initially (probably) but goes slowly for the heart, like the Morgul Knife in the Ring Trilogy, or the spear-tip in Hellboy II.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Probably balanced about where it is...

Now you need a similar thing that hurts less initially (probably) but goes slowly for the heart, like the Morgul Knife in the Ring Trilogy, or the spear-tip in Hellboy II.
    Amusingly, you named the two sources of inspiration I had for it. Watched Fellowship of the Ring yesterday, and the Hellboy II last weekend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I could see it being a good option for a Hexblade or other debuff build. My only concern is that someone with lots of attacks and a high crit range weapon could easily take down even the toughest boss, regardless of the damage that they deal.

Perhaps adding a Saving Throw would be appropriate?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like it! I assume you couldn't use this ability on ranged weaspons?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks very meleeish to me, though a save could be warranted. I could see it being adapted to ranged as well, though that'd probably be having arrows and bolts sticking in people instead, which isn't more flavorful than anything.

What it reminds me of is this minor artifact from Return to White Plume Mountain, an ice sword that left ice shards in wounds rather similar to this. I don't remember the specific mechanics, as I think in that case they just prevented healing till removed, not penalties, though still fairly similar.

Them's my 2 copper. Take as you will.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!