New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Maptools?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Maptools?

Hey, I've been wanting to find a program to help me out with creating battle grids for my new worldbuilding project, and I came across maptools. Does anyone know anything about it, or if it's any good?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Maptools?

I use MapTools for my battle maps. It's pretty good, although it takes some time getting used to and you'll spend way more time looking for objects than actually making your map I definitely wouldn't use it for anything other than battle maps, though.

Some examples:
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Maptools?

I'm currently playing with players over very long distances so we use MapTools for everything. I've grown to really like it, especially the light and vision mechanics. It will generally be more work for the DM, but it can really pay off once you get used to it. I'll advise you that large, open terrain maps (aka not rooms) can be a lot of work because the PCs can see so far and go in any direction. If you are playing online and you use the right macros and token properties the game can end up running so smoothly, it is a joy.

I assume by battle grids you mean ones that you will print out and use on an actual tabletop. If that is so then I don't know how one would go from map to printed product, but I'm sure you can figure something out.
    I'm work'n on building an Avatar: The Last Airbender RPG from the ground up, I'd appreciate it if you checked it out.