New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Farflung Worlds: Community world building project[3.5]

The idea for this project was given by a vote up a campaign setting project that came up with a cool idea and then dropped, mostly because each vote took so long. The idea was "cave men in space".

This idea has been nagging at me for a while, and I thought that it would be good to make a setting based on these ideas. feel free to submit worlds, races, items, artifacts, technologies, and what ever else, with a few exceptions:

magic and technology do not mesh well. Each race (or at least culture) is either "magic", "steampunk", or "furistic". I don't know why they don't mesh well, if some one wants to propose why, 100 brownie points for them.

please, no Psionics. It gives me a head ache.

The power level will be pretty high, but don't make a race that will naturally wipe out all the others please.

all right, lets get started!

a sample material:

Sirelium: an expensive metal with magical properties. it is one of the major tools futuristic races use to detect magic, and is used in many targeting systems. It is the target of many raids by magic users against futuristic races, as they cannot produce it themselves.

below is a sample race:

Welgan

type: magic (charisma)

ability scores:+2 str, -2 int, +2 cha

special qualities: fast healing 2, Welgan shield, spells

native weapons spell bow, swords, clubs.

Welgan are among the most common humanoids in the nine galaxies. They are large, muscular, have ruddy skin and pale eyes. They have minor metal smelting abilities, and a high sense of magic. They live mostly by raiding futuristic societies for metal and sometimes food, giving them a feared reputation. They are very tribal, and frequently war among each other.

Welgan shield: all Welgans have a magical shield they can throw up to protect against attacks. It deflects weapons rather than blocking them, so it is of half value against melee attacks. The shield adds 4 + charisma +1/2 Welgan's level to AC.

Spells: all Welgans cast sorcerer spells as a sorcerer of their level.

Spell Bow: d6 20/x3 .a spell bow delivers a spell or does an additional 2d6 energy(user decides what type) damage when wielded by a sorcerer. it also receives a +2 to attack when wielded by a sorcerer and -2 when it is not. A spell bow must be made out of Sirelium. range increment 60 ft.

Space Travel: Welgans travel by teleportation. They can travel to anywhere they want, but it takes a standard action, and if they teleport to the center of a solid object they will soon suffocate. They may travel with themselves and up to 50 pounds of weight. They arrive at their destination 6 seconds after disappearing.

sample futuristic race:

Naglews

type: futuristic

ability scores:+2 str, +2 con

special qualities: fast healing 5, Death Level

native weapons Lazer pistol, Lazer rifle, sabers, fullerene armor

Naglews are rumored by many to be highly advanced Welgans, a statement that will get you hit in the face on most Naglew ships. The fact remains though that they look like smaller, well dressed Welgans. Naglews are prolific traders, trading anything and everything to futuristic races across the galaxy and are friendly to most of them. They fear magic of any kind and shoot on sight. (or detection).
    Naglews have excellent nano Technology that strengths them and can bring them back from most conditions. This tech only works on them for biological reasons. It is said the tech could work on the Welgans if the Welgans would let down their magic and the bots did not attempt to destroy magical beings.

Death Level: Naglews can be kept alive by their bots inspite of very large wounds. they are not dead until they reach -30 hit points.

Lazer Pistol 2d8 20/x2 energy damage. range inc 30ft. may be used in melee with no penalty. May be an extra time each round at -2 per attack.
    touch attacks

Lazer Riffle 4d8 19-20/x2 energy damage. range inc 60 ft. May be an extra time each round at -2 per attack, or fired rapidly to gain a +2 to attack. touch attacks

saber d8 18-20/x3 slashing damage. material armor worn by opponents is reduced by 1. A long blade kept sharp by nanites. often coated for an attack. dull itself if touched by magic to become a d6 19-20/x2 weapon with a -2 to attack.

fullerene armor fullerene armor is made of carbon tubules. it not only stops physical attacks, it absorbs energy dammage if it cannot stop it. it comes in several varieties:
    casual: +2 AC -0 stealth, absorbs 5 energy per round
    light: +4 AC -1 stealth absorbs 10 energy per round
    medium: +6 AC -2 stealth absorbs 20 energy per round
    stiff: +10 AC -8 stealth absorbs 40 energy per round. -2 to attacks.

Space Travel: Naglews are most commonly found on ships. They Warp through space, bending space itself to move their ship forward. This has a speed of 1 parsec/hour.
    Last edited by erictheredd; 2011-06-02 at 04:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Farflung Worlds: Community world building project[3.5]

my stock answer to magica dn tech no coexisting is that magic works in four dimensions while tech needs to stay grounded in three and creates a field of stability around itself

Magic interferes with that stability and is cancelled in return.

Bam
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Farflung Worlds: Community world building project[3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    my stock answer to magica dn tech no coexisting is that magic works in four dimensions while tech needs to stay grounded in three and creates a field of stability around itself

Magic interferes with that stability and is cancelled in return.

Bam
    I thought about mutual interference. It doesn't seem to fit though, because that means you can use one as a weapon against another. I have considered saying that magic has a destabilizing effect on society, and that the magic societies can get more done by focusing on magic and the tech societies by focusing on tech. essentially having to two far enough advanced that they can't reverse engineer at all.