New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

Shameless Bump

The Keepers of the Four Winds are a race of avian humanoids native to the Elemental Plane of Air. A colony of them have settled into the mountains surrounding Ishka. In an effort to reproduce the beautiful sounds of their native plane they created the Cathedral of The Four Winds.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

2. - Top - End - #992
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just curious, is there an undercity/aberration district? I know that the city is underground and all, but I had an idea about aberrations having a secret network of tunnels going nearly everywhere in the city, hidden from even the eyes. However, the aberrations charge steep rates for using the tunnels. The district that they live in is in a tunnel near the bottom of the city, leading even deeper in the earth, where it is even darker than the necropolis district. Here, aberrations, freakish members of other races, the black market, cultists, slavery, and H.P. Lovecraft all meet. It is here that aboleths buy enslaved lifeforms, children sold into slavery, and other lifeforms to turn into skum, the place where fleshwarpers and their customers meet (for non-silthilar grafts), the place where illithids come to eat brains, and where the beholder hivemothers live. The district would be huge, as most of the aberrations can't stand each other. There would be a main area where black markets meet, and tunnels going into separate wards where the different types of aberrations join. Drow also live here.The black market convenes here because the entrance to the aberration ward is guarded by illusionary walls, and the fact that the tunnel entrances constantly shift. All of the subtunnels that lead around the city would all pass through here, with the aberrations themselves charging high tolls. Certain individuals (and all of the inhabitants) instinctively know where the tunnel entrances are, and serve as guides to the black market to sellers and buyers. They are known as cave-touched, and generally are treated (relatively) well by the aberrations, for they are the ones who allow them to get food and slaves. The undercity doesn't have a leader, which lend a hand in the lack of police there, but all of the wards have individual leaders and laws, so the black market never bleeds into the residential districts, as each one has an extraordinarily complex law system. Also, although most of the city is aware that the ward exists, most inhabitants believe that it is a myth, and that it's just a fictional place made to scare kids into behaving, which is used as a name for the place the black market meets.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds good, save for the Drow part. I believe there is already a drow city that has been incorporated (mostly) into the city. The nobles that surrendered to Ishka are currently fighting a battle against the queen who refused to turn coat.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of that seems fine, but I'd point out some of the following.
    It most likely can't go almost anywhere in the city. Just to places in caves or around the outside. Unless some significant magic is involved to allow it to pass through large areas or city unnoticed where there wasn't even rock to begin with.
    Also, there already is at least one place darker than Necropolis. It's called Everdark. It literally has a ban on light in public.
    Just because they are aberrations and might have some behaviors that are seen as unpleasant by most other races, doesn't mean they are evil or illegal. Particularly if they have their own district in which case they can make the laws there (it could have a very competent police force and just have no laws against the habits of the aberrations, or the goings on of the black market).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #995
    Orc in the Playground

Not really on topic, but it turns out that WotC have already come up with a Ranger variant almost exactly like mine, thought you might like to take a look: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Rang...:_Urban_Ranger

They didn't think of the Druid variant though.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

6. - Top - End - #996

@DMofDarkness: Though the idea is good in principle, I have to agree with everything Owrtho pointed out. It is impossible for an underground district to be as extensive as you say this one is, especially if you want it to be unknown even to The Eyes which in itself is an impossibility. If there was something that large that The Eyes did not know about then they would not be doing their job very well and would indeed have been utterly useless from the get go. The whole point of them is that they know or can find out ANYTHING.

Also you seem to be assuming that all these aberrations would A. all have an interest in Ishka to begin with (Plausible) B. would all be as evil as they're painted in the MM (Myth Busted) C. would not have fond a way to work together not only with each other but with the rest of Ishka in a reasonable manner (Myth Busted)

All that being said I think there should indeed be an Aberration District (with a better name than "Aberration District") modeled after The Necropolis, only for Aberrations instead of Undead.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Silverscale OF coarse a library that sir is awsume also I like the cathedral of the four winds.
    I also think Silverscale is spot on in his assessment of DMofDarkness's idea. I think that the district should b located on the shore of an underground lake that was formed when the tunneling branch of the streetbuilders accidentally breached the river bed and caused a major flood making a place suitable for Abolothes and into that general vicinity other aberrations congregated because it would be easier to move in to the recently abandoned do to flooding but habitable and now with the flood halted safe tunnels than try to mix with the cities general population (at least in the opinion of some aberrations) As to the name how about DeepMire?

Here are the workforged body feats I promised a week or so ago.
    Spoiler
    Show

Porcelain body
    Your body is crafted with a delicate and visually pleasing layer of fine porcelain plates serving as external armor.
    Prerequisites: Workforged 1st level only
    Benefit: your armor bonuses is reduced to 1 and you lose the light fortification quality common to Workforged your inherent spell failure is reduced to 5%and you can ware armor or magic robes and gain their full effect (note the armor bonus from this feat overlaps with any armor not stacks and the spell failure stacks). Further you receav a +2 competence bonus on diplomacy, bluff and gather information check where wealth is a factor
    Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at first level, during character creation. Warforged druids who take this feat can cast druid spells, use the druid supernatural, and spell like abilities.

Fleshy body
    Your body is covered with a convincing substitute for hominoid flesh and your inner structure bares a strong resemblance to a hominoid skeleton making it difficult to notice that you are not some kind of hominoid if your schema is not obvious.
    Prerequisites: Workforged 1st level only
    Benefit: you lose the normal +2 armor, and light fortification common to Workforged your inherent spell failure is reduced to 5% and you can ware armor or magic robes and gain their full effect (note the spell failure from this feat stacks with that from any armor). Further you receive a +10 racial bonus to appear as one variety of humanoid in your size category and a +5 bonuses to a pear as any other humanoid in your size category. Further you receive a +2 competence bonuses to spot, listen and move silently and your sense of taste and smell are both comparable to those of a human.
    Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at first level, during character creation. Warforged druids who take this feat can cast druid spells, and use the druid supernatural and spell like abilities. If a Workforged with this feat takes any workforged feat or class feature that increases armor class or damage reduction they lose there +10 and +5 bonus to appear humanoid but retain there spot listen and move silently bonsais.

For similar feats, see races of Eberron. We could use the tracery feats from the same books for the pipe serpents who have acquired rare metal elements and eliminate the dietary requirement.
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-05-12 at 02:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't posted in a while, but I was reading about the abberition district and I love it. It kinda reminds me of District 9. Maybe it's a huge, sprawling place where there are quite a few inadvertent racial tensions merely because the aberrations find it hard to understand humanoid psychology and vice-versa.
    Oh and I was wondering, are there any LA +0 (or +1, +2) aberrations that could be sort of your "common man," kind of how we made our spontaneous zombies, ghosts and skeletons for Ishka? Maybe Thri-Kreen?

9. - Top - End - #999

@BLiZme.2: The Workforged feats look good. One question, what's the physical difference between a Fleshy Body Workforged and a Similacrum?

District: DeepMire
    Other names: Aberration City, Deep Lake
    Police Force: ???????
    Description: Built around a massive underground lake that was formed when one of the many tunnels was dug too close to the bottom of The Rowalaz River. The breech was sealed leaving behind a large area of tunnel flooded. The resulting underground lake attracted a number of Aboleths. Once they took up residence, other aberrations moved into the area yet still maintain their own neighborhoods.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1000

@Owrtho:
    yes, I agree that the activities would not be necessarily evil, but the practices of the aberrations are generally frowned upon by the other races, but since these activities are legal in the district is why the black market shifted there. Also, by tunnels going everywhere, I mean Everywhere. The regulars at the black market generally a) don't want to be seen in there regular excursions there, so they hire the powerful casters there (like fleshwarpers) to make permanent portals that can easily be accessed going to Deepmire (known commonly as the undercity). The more people caught on to the idea, the more portals were made, enhancing the natural system of caverns around the city. The more intelligent aberrations picked up on the marketing opportunity, paying part of the steep toll to the founder of the portal (who gets free access, as well).
    @Silverscale:
    A large part of the tolls are paid as bribes to keep the operatives from the eyes from telling anything or investigating the use of portals. The bribes mentioned would be able to convince a dragon to retire. Over double the hoard of a standard great wyrm. The portals are extremely valued and have a high stream of customers because the eyes don't investigate. That is how the people slip around undetected; the eyes would need a higher bribe than that to disclose information on a single portal user; no one is usually willing to part with that kind of money. Because of the high toll, only rich people and assassins (and rich assassins) use the portals. That kind of crowd generally generates enough money to keep eyes away from the operations, as well as make the portal founder rich.
    @BLiZme.2:

good ideas. That's all I have to say.
    @Leaf-Eater:
    the huge, sprawling place you mention would be the center of the district, as there are humanoids and all types of aberrations (who have as much prejudice against each other as the humanoids have against them) mix. Although they managed to get along fairly well (killing rates down to one a week!), they still are very racist, and the only thing keeping the undercity together is the fact that they all need to trade to survive. An illithid would ideally consume 52 brains a year, and an entire community could never have the the number of brains they need unless they interacted (relatively) peacefully with the humanoid inhabitants to get their supply of requisite brains. Also, for the low LA aberration:
    Herald of the Deepmasters (modifies an existing racial template):
    Type changes to aberration
    +2 int, +2 strength, -4 wisdom: The cave-touched are shrewd, as the aberrations they serve, but have a mindset unlike either humanoids or aberrations, but as they need to communicate with both, they keep their charisma, despite being at odds with the both sides. The experience drives them somewhat mad.
    In addition, cave-touched do not suffer disadvantages from grafts (e.g., no more -4 penalty on will checks when wearing an illithid graft), as they have a bit of genetics from all of the inhabitants, but they have some parts of said heritage showing, which gives them a -2 penalty (can be changed) on disguise checks.
    +2 on Will saves: the cave-touched are constantly around a mire of entities that would have their minds (I'm looking at you, neogi) if given half a chance, so they constantly have trained their minds to resist outside influence. However, this has caused them to be constantly shifty and mistrusting, causing a -2 penalty on diplomacy checks.
    Locate portal: cave-touched instinctively know where the nearest portal to the undercity is. However, they have a -2 penalty on urban survival checks because they constantly find themselves drawn to the portals.

It is a modification to an existing race because a) cave-touched are needed in every part of the city, and b) I can't think of a low-level aberration power that is unique enough for a low-LA aberration.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-05-10 at 06:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1001

@DMofDarkness: You seem determined to make this idea work your way despite the suggestions of people who have been working on this project for the last 8 months. We have made suggestions that allow a district of aberrations fit into Ishka and though you agree with some of them, you have dismissed other out of hand.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1002

OK, sorry. I'll change that. I don't know much about the project and how it's worked, but I just gave suggestions that I thought would make it work in the game. I defer to your experience.

EDIT: could you tell me which parts exactly were out-of-line dismissals so I know what to cross out and not cross out?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-05-09 at 06:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    OK, sorry. I'll change that. I don't know much about the project and how it's worked, but I just gave suggestions that I thought would make it work in the game. I defer to your experience.

EDIT: could you tell me which parts exactly were out-of-line dismissals so I know what to cross out and not cross out?
    Sorry If my earlier post came across harshly as I said overall it's a good idea, sometimes a can get a little over zealous....gimme a little bit to feed my cat and make some dinner and I'll get back to you on how we can merge your idea seamlessly into the bigger picture that is Ishka.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1004

@DMofDarkness: Ok now about Deepmire, one of the big things that is not working is this idea of secret portals....we already have them, they are controled by The Alliance which is also who would be in control of the Black Market. This nothion that The Eyes can be bribed to ignore the portals is unnecessary, especially that the bribe would be double that of a dragon's hoard....in Ishka, a Dragon's hoard is rather large indeed since the twin dragon's all but have a monopoly on the stock market.

How about this modification of my earlier post? Edits in blue
    District: DeepMire
    Other names: Aberration City, Deep Lake, Undercity
    Police Force: Alliance Mercenaries
    Description: Built around a massive underground lake that was formed when one of the many tunnels was dug too close to the bottom of The Rowalaz River. The breech was sealed leaving behind a large area of tunnel flooded. The resulting underground lake attracted a number of Aboleths. Once they took up residence, other aberrations moved into the area yet still maintain their own neighborhoods.
    The Alliance has a sugnificant presence in the district and conducts a thriving black market away from the prying eyes of the more Lawfully minded folk who don't usually dare to venture down to Undercity. There are many Alliance controlled Portals that lead in and out of DeepMire. One of the main connections between Deepmire and the upper layers of Ishka is through Hedon, however one has to be brave enough to go all the way to the bottom of Hedon before they can reach DeepMire

Also I like your "Cave-touched" although the name could use some work.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So Deepmire is alliance controlled and connects with Ishka proper Via alliance holes. I guess that works.

How aware is Ishka Proper of Deepmire, if it's that big then you'd have to have some contact. Does MI know what it is but not where? Do Alliance members regularly head there, or is it, like Ravensholm, one of the last refuges for desperate criminals fleeing the Law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

I expect the following about it.

Ishka proper tends to know about it, but few actually go there. The MI not only knows of and where it is but will travel there on occasion in attempts to stop Alliance members. There are some more publicly accessible portals to Deepmire and other parts of the city, but they tend to be heavily guarded by MI. The reason has to do with why the district is so attractive to the Alliance. In a place run by aberrations with such varying customs and necessities, it is not only possible but easy to traffic illegal goods and run illegal businesses right out in the open and avoid detection. The aberrations tend not to see much issue with it, and most outsiders can find it all but impossible to tell the standard practices of the aberrations from the black market. This is aided by the many legal entrepreneurs who have realized the profit to be had by doing business with aberrations providing them with things that would be difficult for them to obtain themselves from the rest of Ishka due to their appearance. For this reason they can charge higher prices and have no extra costs aside from having to put up with the occasional MI search and the surroundings of Deepmire (mind there are also those that sell brains and body parts or other such things obtained through legal methods).
    Most people going to Deepmire legally do so through the MI controlled entrances, though it requires a somewhat heavy search. This is because it is quite difficult for the MI to find illegal goods once they have already gotten into Deepmire. There are however a still a good number of people on legal business who choose to par the alliance to use their gates to avoid the hassle of the search (which with some larger shipments can take a few hours).
    Alliance members travel to Deepmire much more frequently than Ravenshome (often to do business or just lay low for a day or two), but when it comes to fleeing for more major crimes, it is better to hide in Ravenshome. Mainly as the MI is known to do raids for a sufficiently wanted criminal and if they do so it can be hard to hide (for while it may be easy to hide things from a general search in Deepmire, it can be much harder to hide something that is being specifically searched for, particularly when it is yourself). Ravenshome however is free of that risk, but has somewhat more notable ones (if you can't figure out what they are yourself, then look back at some of the stuff on it).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

I would assume most people know it's there, but it would be like the deepest parts of Hedon, or the Drow city. You know its there, but no one really goes there unless they belong there. They probably don't know the full scope of it either. They might think that it's just one little place beneath Hedon, rather than the huge web of tunnels it apparently is. Obviously, the Alliance and most aberrations would know of it.

Go Tigers!

18. - Top - End - #1008

Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for. The thing is, people know that it exists, and they know what aberrations do. This being the case, few (sane) people go down there willingly, and so have no clue the extent of the area. Most people think that it's a small cave with a nearby lake where people have furtive meetings and aberrations lurk in the shadows, when in actuality it is a huge, sprawling bazaar where the freakish meet the freakier, and one can get anything they want for a price. The districts of (most) of the aberrations are grand (and disturbing for most people) models of the cities from whence they came, each with it's district police force, each one with a different set of rules (the main one being, unless you're one of us, you belong to us (for dinner or work)). For a name, how about Herald of the Deepmasters?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-05-10 at 06:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1009

@DMofDarkness: It's not so much a collection of Aberration Cities, Ishka is the city, it's a large collection of neighborhoods. Think about Chinatown and Little Italy in NYC, they are not cities in and of themselves just neighborhoods where Chinese and Italians tend to congregate.

As to the name of the template (Herald of the Deepmasters)....sounds good to me.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1010

I fixed it for you.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Take a look at this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675 with particular attention to Lowfolk, Weirded Way, Sialla Danda, and Urban Oasis

Also Take a look at E.M.I.T. Constructs from http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...50#post7987650
    Has anyone taken a look at the threads I linked to earlier?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone taken a look at the threads I linked to earlier?
    I just read over them. Pretty cool stuff. I like the Low Folk. I could see alot of them living in Ishka. I get the feeling that any Weirded Ways or Urban Oasii would be stamped out by MI though. Same with most of the constructs.

Go Tigers!

23. - Top - End - #1013

I've Transplanted the relevant posts below so they're easier to find

Weirded Way
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by adanedhel9 View Post
    Weirded Way
    Colossal Aberration
    Hit Dice: 28d8+224 (350 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+0 Dex, +16 natural, –8 size), touch 2, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +35/+51
    Attack: Bite +27 melee (6d6+14)
    Full Attack: Bite + 27 melee (6d6+14) and two slams +25 melee (3d8+7)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab, shortcut, swallow whole, tourist trap
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., freeze, resistance to cold 15, electricity 10, fire 10, spell resistance 25, tremorsense 120 ft.
    Saves: Fort +17, Ref +11, Will +19
    Abilities: Str 39, Dex 11, Con 26, Int 5, Wis 17, Cha 11
    Skills: Hide +5, Listen +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Altertness, Blind-Fight, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Natural Attack (slam), Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack
    Environment: Any urban
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 17
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: 29+ HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment:

Tendrils of morning mist glide over the cobblestones to a point in the center of the deserted street, where they sink into the ground. A great blast of warm air pushes the fog away, only for it to begin filling the street again. The pattern repeats itself several times before a massive maw suddenly erupts from the ground. With hide like polished stones, eyes like moonlit puddles, and limbs like pillars, the creature easily surprises its prey before sinking back to street level.

A Weirded Way is an extremely dangerous creature at home in the largest of cities. It lurks, seamlessly disguised as a cobblestone street, while it bends space around itself to ensnare its prey. Lost travelers, drunks, and occasionally even knowledgeable locals find themselves within reach of this creature's omnivorous maw. With a Weirded Way around town, even a single wrong turn can lead to disaster.

Young Weirded Ways find themselves drawn to fledgling towns. Once established, a Way prefers to stay in the same community as long as possible. They will even defend the city against serious threats, sometimes including other Weirded Ways. Eventually each Way finds that its stomach outstrips its host city, and it moves on to busier streets.

Though Weirded Ways are not particularly intelligent and are always hungry, centuries of experience have taught them well. Weirded Ways need little food to simply survive and understand that consuming too many people can draw unwanted attention. As such, most Weirded Ways avoid attacking when not starving and avoid eating prominent citizens. Weirded Ways in the smallest of cities snap up one or two citizens a month, while Weirded Ways in the largest can get away with over one meal a day.

Weirded Ways speak Terran and the most prevalent language of their current host city.

Combat
    Weirded ways always prefer to ambush their prey. By making use of its Freeze and Tremorsense abilities, a Weirded Way can avoid detection while maintaining its awareness of anything nearby. Once in melee range, the Way relentlessly attacks, swallowing opponents whenever possible and using Shortcut to drag fleeing combatants back into battle. A Weirded Way's only true fear is an aerial assault, against which it has no method of retaliation.

Freeze (Ex): A Weirded Way can hold itself so still it appears to be a simple street. An observer must succeed on a DC 30 Spot check to notice the Weirded Way is really alive.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Weirded Way must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Shortcut (Su): Once per round as a immediate action, a Weirded Way can concentrate its space-warping abilities to instantly move a single creature to any valid space within the Way's reach (20 ft.). The target creature must be touching the ground within 120 ft. of the Way in order for Shortcut to affect it.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Weirded Way can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+7 points of crushing damage plus 2d8 points of acid damage per round from the Way’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 30 points of damage to the Way’s digestive tract (AC 18). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Tourist Trap (Su): Space around a Weirded Way constantly shifts and twists so as to best draw potential prey into the Way's trap. Any time an intelligent creature fails a Gather Information check within the same city as a Weirded Way, that creature must make a DC 24 Will save or become lost in this region. Such a creature inevitably (within the next 1d10x10 minutes) passes over the Weirded Way's hunting ground. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lore
    Characters with ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering or local) can research Weirded Ways to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including the information from the lower DCs.

DC 38: Weirded Ways are urban monsters that can lure lost travelers into deadly traps.
    DC 43: The Weirded Way is an ambush attacker; it remains hidden as a common city street until it its prey is in position. Then it strikes from below, swallowing anything in its path.
    DC 48: The hide of a Weirded Way not only looks like stone, but is also nearly as tough. Don't expect cold, fire, electricity, or steel to pierce it.

Plot Hooks
    A large city holds a Weirded Way which feeds on a cycle: every four years it goes on a frenzy, eating hundreds of citizens within a one-month span. Nearly four years have passed since the last such event, and the citizens are becoming worried.

An impetuous young Weirded Way has moved in on the established territory of an older Way. Spars between the two have already destroyed several city buildings, and neither shows any sign of leaving just yet.

The addled patriarch of a growing town insists that a Weirded Way – a sign of a large city - is necessary to put his community on the map. As such, he has made it known that he will pay handsomely if anyone manages to attract such a creature to his town.

Sialla Danda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    My contribution:

Sialla Danda
    Small Fey
    HD 6d6+6 (27 hp)
    Speed 50 ft. (10 squares); fly 30 ft. (good)
    Init: +5
    AC 19; touch 19; flat-footed 14 (+5 Dex, +3 circumstance, +1 size)
    BAB +3; Grp +3
    Attack Surprising touch melee touch +9 (flat-footed + luck drain) or Small rapier +9 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
    Full-Attack Stunning touch melee touch +9 (1d4 + stun + luck drain, x2) or Small rapier +9 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Surprising touch, stunning touch, luck drain, stumble
    Special Qualities Impart luck, urban clairsentience, sibling of shadows, spell-like abilities, SR 15, low-light vision, thrive
    Saves Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +6
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 18
    Skills Appraise +6, Balance +10, Bluff +12, Climb +5, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +10, Escape Artist +11, Gather Information +13, Hide +11, Knowledge (local) +10*, Move Silently +11, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +14, Tumble +11
    Feats Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Combat Reflexes
    Environment Any urban
    Organization Solitary or family (2-8)
    Challenge Rating 6
    Treasure Double standard
    Alignment Always chaotic (any)
    Advancement by character class; Favored Class Bard
    Level Adjustment +8

*Racial skill bonus

Sialla danda are descendants of the fey of the natural world, who have adapted to humanity and the urban world.

A sialla stands 4 feet tall and appears as a young adult human might. Sialla have pointed ears, brown or coppery hair and rum-colored eyes. They choose fancy clothing in fashionable (not gaudy) colors, and their mischievous smiles never fully reach their penetrating gazes.

Combat
    A sialla danda prefers to start combat with its spell-like abilities, before closing to melee. The sialla tries a stunning touch on the most intimidating opponent, then uses its surprising touch to steal luck and retreat safely. Sialla are preternaturally fast.

Surprising Touch (Su) A sialla's touch attack passes through armor, clothing and the like to touch flesh directly. The unnerving sensation this confers causes the victim to become flat-footed. This effect does not work on creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Stunning Touch (Su) A sialla can extend her touch through her foe's flesh, causing shock and discomfort. Although barely harmful, the distressing sensation created by the sialla stuns her victim for 1d4 rounds (Will save DC 17 half.) The save for this effect is Charisma-based.

Luck Drain (Ex) Sialla danda seem to have some innate control over the flow of fate. On any touch attack a sialla makes, she may choose to steal luck from her victim. This manifests as a -1 luck penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks and saves, and is cumulative to -5. Each time she steals luck, the sialla gains a luck point. Sialla danda cannot retain more than ten luck points. Luck drain is nonmagical and fades one hour after the first draining.

Stumble (Su) Sialla danda use the shadows of their urban environment to their advantage. The sialla may make a trip attempt using a ranged touch on any creature within an area of shadowy illumination that she can see (sialla danda have low-light vision). The sialla and her foe make opposed Dex checks without modifiers for size category, and the defender is unable to make an opposed trip attempt on a success.

Impart Luck (Su) The sialla can channel the luck she has stolen, magically imparting it unto herself or another. She may expend any number of luck points to increase the caster level and save DC of one of her spell-like abilities. Alternately, she may impart up to five luck points into a single creature. Each luck point grants a +1 luck bonus to attack and damage rolls, skill checks and saves. Imparting luck to another is magical and fades one hour after the first infusion.

Sibling of Shadows (Su) Sialla danda are spirits of crowds, of alleys, buildings and evenings. They gain a +3 circumstance bonus to AC while in an area of shadowy illumination. Sialla can only fly in shadowy illumination, or outside after dusk. Sources of bright illumination are reduced in diameter 10' while within sight of a sialla.

Urban Clairsentience (Ex) Sialla danda are masters of the cities in which they reside. They can take 20 on any Gather Information check in their home city, and gain the synergy bonus from Knowledge (local) on top of that. They are also aware of all strangers in their city, and get a +10 racial bonus on Bluff, Disguise and Sense Motive checks related to impersonating a local.

Thrive (Su) Sialla danda have widely varied opinions on the humans they live amongst. However, they are definitively happier around crowds. A sialla danda gains 1 additional hp for every 500 people living in their city.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) At will - alarm, alter self, darkness, detect magic, faerie fire, flare, glitterdust, hypnotism, invisibility, message, minor image. 3/day - deep slumber, deeper darkness, eagle's splendour, hold person. Sialla cast spells as 7th level sorcerers.

Society
    Sialla danda are a younger breed of fey that have adapted to coexist with cities. Though some are more ardently malicious than others, most are content to be mischievous but supportive of their crowded homes. Whatever their alignment, no sialla will ever harm a child - often they will actively aid in returning the child to its parents.

Sialla enjoy using their control over luck to favor certain mortals at the expense of others. They have been known to message information to certain mortals, which might be for good or ill. This tendency actually gave rise to their urban legend.

Some sialla help the local law enforcement, weaving alarms and highlighting criminals with faerie fire. Conversely, petty thieves have vanished without a trace, made invisible by a bored sialla.

Generally, sialla prefer to use alter self to better integrate with the crowds. Their humanoid forms retain the striking, rum-colored eyes of their fey shape. Disguised sialla enjoy being the life of the party, and those who can devote time and attention to it often become bards.

It is rare, but of late, turf wars have ignited between rival sialla families in larger cities. Faerie fire in different colors delimits areas of control at night, and civil authorities who believe in the sialla often have difficulty choosing a side to ally with.

Lore

DC 15: A minor bout of bad luck is sometimes blamed on an impish spirit known as "the danda."
    DC 20: Invisible fairies called "danda" whisper advice to downtrodden folk.
    DC 25: Sialla danda are fey who retrieve lost children.
    DC 30: Sialla danda trade in luck.

Lowfolk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    The Lowfolk

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

-Emma Lazarus

Lowfolk
    Medium Fey
    6d6+6 (27 hp)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Init: +4
    AC 18 (+4 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 14
    BAB +3; Grp +3
    Attack Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20)
    Full-Attack Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks spells, spell-like abilities, visage of the downtrodden, below notice
    Special Qualities Damage reduction 10/cold iron, low-light vision, Scuttleborn
    Saves Fort +7 Ref +13 Will +12
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 17
    Skills Climb 11, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +10, Escape Artist +10, Handle Animal +13, , Hide +12, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Use Magic Device +12
    Feats Combat Casting, Dodge, Weapon Finesse
    Environment Urban
    Organization Solitary, Huddle (2-4) or Pack (5-10)
    Challenge Rating 7
    Treasure ½ Standard
    Alignment Usually Chaotic Good
    Advancement by Character Class; Beguiler
    Level Adjustment +7

"Mommy! Mommy!" the little girl yelped, her tiny fingers pointing at a bedraggled woman decked out in rags curled up against the sheltering wall of the Old Courthouse, "there she is! The lady from the park."

Her mother, well dressed with pearls dripping around her neck, looked at where the child pointed, squinting, "Don't be silly Amanda. There's nothing over there but a pile of rags."

That man on a street corner in the torn up coat. That woman, her dress bearing the stains and tears of long use, who sits feeding pigeons. That little playmate of your child’s who is never seen but talked about incessantly. These are the lowfolk, the fey of the cities so populous they can become barren of human contact for those dwelling within.

Lowfolk are the fey of the city, caring for its inhabitants much as a nymph or dryad would look after its woodland pools and groves. Lowfolk deal in subtlety, and keep the city within its domain from becoming too stratified or its peoples divorced from one another. Typically, they remain unseen, but when spotted they appear as a homeless member most common race in a given city; an image which serves as a reminder to the materially minded that their pleasures are not shared by all with whom they live. They can appear to be otherwise when it suits them, using the disguise self an alter self abilites as well as spells to take on the form they desire.

They use their powers to shape events in their urban homes, leading potential future lovers to each other randomly in the night, breaking the wheels of a nobles carriage in the poverty stricken sections of town to make the noble spend time there, pestering a young merchant into giving aid to those they would normally ignore, or even in dire circumstances impersonating a city official to change destructive policies. They have a particular soft spot for children and their Below Notice ability affects only adults. Children are those that can be most shaped to heal a wounded metropolis and a particular lowfolk may spend months or even years in the company of a special child, attempting to impart its values into the next generation of city dwellers.

The number of lowfolk in any given city varies with the size of the metropolis. The bigger the city, the more lowfolk, although there is no hard and fast rule for this ratio.

Although rare, neutral and evil lowfolk have been known to exist. These unpredictable fey can shape a city just as their good counterparts. Those that are neutral tend to be pranksters, causing random mischief and giving a city a sense of the strange and unexpected. Evil lowfolk can tear a city apart, pitting social classes against each other or even against themselves for their own malign amusement.

Lowfolk speek sylvan, common, and whatever languages predominate the cities in which they live.

Combat

Lowfolk typically avoid violence, but have been suspect of being responsible for indirectly instigating riots and uprisings of the poor on some occasions. If a lowfolk is spotted, they will typically attempt to talk to their would-be attacker first, using suggestion to avoid direct conflict. If that fails, they will typically use greater invisibility and attempt to flee.

Spell-Like Abilities
    At will- Alter Self, Disguise Self 3/day-Suggestion 1/day—Greater Invisibility, Caster level 7th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spells
    A lowfolk casts spells as a 7th-level Beguiler.

Visage of the Downtrodden (Su)
    As a move action, a lowfolk can gaze into the eyes of a creature within 30ft, reminding it that anyone can be brought low by chance. The target creature must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be effected as if by the spell Crushing Despair for one hour. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Scuttleborn (Su)
    A lowfolk adds twice (2x) his Dexterity Modifier as a bonus on all Reflex saving throws. In addition, he also adds his Dexterity Modifier as a bonus to his Will and Fortitude saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to his Armor Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Below Notice (Su)
    This ability affects all adult creatures with an intelligence score greater than 4 within 30 feet of a lowfolk. Their eyes slide over a lowfolk as if they were merely a piece of background. Those who look directly at a lowfolk must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be unable to see or otherwise detect the lowfolk just as if the lowfolk were subject to the spell Superior Invisibility. A character who sucessfully saves against a lowfolks Below Notice is immune to the effect by that particular lowfolk for 24 hours. A lowfolk can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lowfolk Lore:
    Sucessful Knowledge: Local or Knowledge: Nature checks will reveal the following general information about the lowfolk.

DC 10: Many large cities have fey inhabitants. Some of these appear as beggars.

DC 15: Lowfolk appear as beggars but are actually somewhat powerful fey. They look after the city, attempting to harmonize the interactions if its inhabitants. Lowfolk favor the poor, and to look upon one is to be reminded of the sorrow of those who go without.

DC 20: Lowfolk have many powers of illusion and often influence the politics and governing of a city by directing people to specific places at specific times or pretending to be influential people at key moments.

Using Lowfolk in Your Game:

Lowfolk can fit into virtually any setting that has fey creatures and cities. They are not particularly combat oriented monsters, although their access to beguiler spells does make them somewhat competent if they are forced to fight. Mainly though, they are intended to be used as parts of the overall feel of a city and serve as contacts, allies, or crafty and hidden foes of the PCs as appropriate to a particular game.

Urban Oasis
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Urban Oasis

Huge Plant
    Hit Dice: 18d8+144 (225 HP)
    Initiative: -2
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares); burrow 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (-2 Dex, -2 size, +10 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+29
    Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d8+8); or tendril +17 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +19 melee 2d8+8) and 4 slams +17 melee (1d8+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Pollen of peace, spell-like abilities, urban mirage
    Special Qualities: DR 10/slashing, immunities, improved grab, plant traits, swallow whole, tremorsense 60 ft., vulnerable to fire, writhing aura
    Saves: Fort +17, Ref +6, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 6, Con 22, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 24
    Skills: Disguise +35*, Hide +19*, Listen +24, Move Silently +19, Spot +24
    Feats: Ability Focus (urban mirage), Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Disguise)
    Environment: Any urban
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: 19-22 HD (Huge); 23-28 HD (Gargantuan); 29+ HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment:

Walking along the lane between rows of various lean-tos and rickety buildings, you spot a sudden empty lot that, inexplicably, has a small fountain with a cherub statue, a few small benches, and lush, beautiful grass with wildflowers in several places. Suddenly, you feel an odd sensation, drawing you to come lie down upon the grass and perhaps take a drink from the fountain.

Like the monstrous fish at the deepest parts of the ocean, some creatures in cities use disguises and other methods to lure prey to them. The urban oasis is one such creature. Relying on inherent magic and other abilities, an oasis is a giant plant that is usually almost entirely underground. The only parts aboveground are leaves, tendrils, and the creature’s gaping maw. Creatures are enticed to walk across the small park they see before them, really a mirage created by the oasis, only to be grabbed by tendrils and swallowed whole.

Combat
    An urban oasis usually only “fights” with those creatures it has managed to lure in, and then the fight is only the few rounds it needs to draw the creatures into its gullet. Against other foes, an oasis uses its spell-like abilities to slow down opponents while attempting to grab and feast upon others. Should things look bad for the oasis, it generates a fog cloud of dust and pollen motes and attempts to burrow to freedom.

Immunities: An urban oasis is immune to mind-affection effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and critical hits.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an urban mirage must hit a creature of size Medium or smaller with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the opponent in the following round. An urban oasis can also use its improved grab ability on a tendril attack. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold, picks up the opponent, and transfers it to the mouth as a free action, automatically dealing bite damage.

Pollen of Peace (Su): In order to capture its prey, an urban oasis can project pollen spores that force creatures to stop and smell the roses (as it were) or even fall asleep. As a standard action, the urban oasis exudes pollen in a cloud that extends to a 30-foot emanation. Creatures must succeed on a DC 25 Fortitude save or suffer the effects of the calming pollen. The save DC is Constitution-based. The effects of failure are based on HD – creatures of 8 HD or less are effected as if by the deep slumber spell, creatures of 9-12 HD are exhausted for 1d6 rounds, and creatures of more than 12 HD are sickened for 1d3 rounds. All creatures that fail their saves, regardless of HD, take a -2 penalty to Will saves against the urban oasis’s other abilities.

Furthermore, creatures that fail their save must make a DC 26 Will save or be compelled to move towards the urban oasis’s mouth (before falling asleep, if necessary) and to lie down on the “grass” in the area. The save DC for this effect is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: at-will – deep slumber (DC 20), fog cloud, ghost sound (DC 17); 3/day – crushing despair (DC 21), entangle (DC 18), hypnotism (DC 18). Caster level is equal to ½ HD. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex): An urban oasis can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to Large size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage plus 1d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the oasis’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out using a light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing 25 points of damage to the shark’s digestive tract (AC 15). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Urban Mirage (Su): As a manner of attracting prey, an urban oasis disguises itself as a small park, a grassy knoll with a gazebo, or other sort of natural area as would be found within a city. It can, as a standard action at will, disguise itself and its surroundings as if by the mirage arcana spell, though it can disguise itself within the area and the illusion only lasts for a number of rounds equal to the oasis’s Charisma modifier (7 rounds) after it ceases concentrating. Creatures interacting with the area are entitled to a DC 30 Will save (10 + ½ HD + 7 Cha + 2 synergy [Disguise] + 2 Ability Focus) to disbelieve the illusion.

Vulnerable to Fire (Ex): Like many plants, an urban oasis is vulnerable to fire. It takes half again as much damage when subjected to such an attack, and has a -2 penalty on saving throws against Fire effects.

Writhing Aura (Ex): Being an essentially flat plane (above-ground, anyway), creatures may fight atop the urban oasis. However, this poses some problems. The area atop the oasis is difficult terrain and as such prevents opponents from running or charging.

*Skills: An urban oasis has a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks and a +4 racial bonus on Disguise checks. It’s ranks in Disguise also provide a +2 synergy bonus to the DC of its urban mirage ability.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
    Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can learn more about urban oases. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

{table=head]DC | Result
    28 | An urban oasis is a large plant that uses mimicry, illusion, and other natural methods to lure in potential prey. This reveals all Plant traits.
    33 | The plant is rather versatile, with the ability to calm foes, draw them in, and even swallow them whole. They even have innate magic that allows them minor hypnotic powers.
    38 | Like many plants, an urban oasis is vulnerable to fire and hard to hurt with blunt or pointed weapons, but provides a dangerous battlefield to fight atop.[/table]

Plot Hooks
    • Children and small pets have begun disappearing all over the city after a massive clean-up program that added several new parks, lots, and open spaces. Local druids suspect an urban oasis, but finding the correct park or empty lot is a large job that requires many volunteers. Leaders hope to curb the deaths before they grow too numerous to cover up.
    • An evil gnoll druid, banished from a large city, has taken out his frustration by surrounding the outskirts of the city with allied urban oases. Many caravans and merchants have disappeared, and the town council seeks heroes to find out why.

E.M.I.T Construct
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    A robed figure strolled down the halls of the Silicavale College of Arcana. Construct lab 017b, normally empty of students in the evening, was just ahead. The lamps in the hallway were still on and the general buzz of several conversations was coming from behind the door. There was no doubt that this was the place. He yawned slightly before knocking on the door.
    "Hello, I'm here to evaluate your society." he called, as he pushed the door open.
    The lab was occupied by several apprentices. Most of them were wearing overalls, a clear sign that they took golem building more seriously than the rest of their studies. One of them looked up and cleared his throat.
    "Oh, good evening Professor Ludd."
    "Ah, Initiate William Walt, isn't it? In charge of a society already, eh? Take a seat."
    "Yes, Professor. But everyone calls me 'Gray', professor.", he mumbled as they sat at the nearest available desk.
    Ludd paused for a moment before he remembered that things were always less formal between students and lecturers outside of university hours.
    "Very well then, what exactly is this society about. I know you're rather keen on building constructs, but I'm sure you understand we can't have you binding elemental spirits without supervision."
    "Oh, that isn't a problem, professor.", Gray said quickly, "Show him, Warrik."
    One of the other apprentices, who had up until this moment been staring nervously from the benches as Gray made his pitch stood up and carried a small box over to the table. Ludd looked inside and cocked an eyebrow.
    "This...looks like the contents of the dustbins." He even recognised the old clock he threw out that very morning.
    "Yes, you see that's the idea. What we do is try to build our constructs from recycled...well I'll show you."
    Warrik lifted the delicate (in the sense of a bag held together by string) looking device out of the box and placed it on a table. It proceeded to hum dangerously.
    "What we did was use this old enchanted pair of glasses as a sensor...so it can tell when something moves passed that is...", he waved his hand vigorously and the device jerked to life, moving haphazardly towards it, "and we used the clockwork mechanism to make it move...so well it...er"
    "Basically we try to control them using simple enchantments...
    instead of binding elemental spirits to them!", a voice half squeaked, half spluttered from the benches.
    "Ye-yes. What Ada said." stammered Warrik, nodding appreciatively to the mousy young girl (who now appeared to be engaged in some sort of contest with him over who could look the most flustered).
    Ludd looked at the students for a moment and to their relief, smiled.
    "Ah yes, they used to do that in my day. E.M.I.Ts they called 'em."
    "Yeah, Entertaining Magical Intellectual Tricks. That's what it stands for...proffesor?"
    Ludd chuckled, "If that's what it stands for these days, then."
    And with that, he took out a small form, already with his signature, handed it over to them and went on his way as the buzz resumed.

E.M.I.T Construct
    Size/Type: Tiny Construct
    Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
    Initiative: -2
    Speed: 10ft. (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 12 (+2 size, -2 dex)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
    Attack: Shunt +1 melee (1d2-3)
    Full Attack: Shunt +1 melee (1d2-3)
    Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: None
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Sensor, Reactor
    Saves: Fort 0, Ref -2, Will -4
    Abilities: Str 4, Dex 7, Con —, Int —, Wis 2, Cha 10
    Skills: Spot (Wis) 5, Hide (Dex) 2, Move Silently (Dex) 2
    Feats: Stealthy
    Environment: Urban
    Organization: Solitary, Expo (2-20),
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Mundane Alchemical Items only
    Alignment: Neutral
    Advancement: By HD; 2-3 (Tiny), 4-8 (Small)

An E.M.I.T is a simple construct built by hobbyists. They typically consist of whatever resources the builder had lying around (scrap metal, logs, broken and discarded equipment and alchemical items). They are designed to be simpler than golems and other more complicated magical constructs, using simple alchemical and magical principles to guide them rather than binding elemental spirits to control them. For example using shards of metal from old enchanted eyeglasses as sensors, and the remains of a failed attempt at a dancing weapon to provide locomotion. A typical EMIT has a very basic "react and act" pattern of behaviour, making them ideal for certain tasks. In addition to being built by apprentice mages to expand their skills or simply occupy themselves many toymakers employ the technology to improve their wares. An E.M.I.T will follow any orders given to it with the right commands but it is not following any order more complex than simple directions (e.g. Forward 10, Left 90...)

Construct Traits
    Spoiler
    Show
    Features
    A construct has the following features.

• 10-sided Hit Dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
    • No good saving throws.
    • Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score. However, most constructs are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Traits
    A construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

{TABLE=head]Construct Size Bonus|Hit Points
    Fine|—
    Diminutive|—
    Tiny|—
    Small|10
    Medium|20
    Large|30
    Huge|40
    Gargantuan|60
    Colossal|80 [/TABLE]

• No Constitution score.
    • Low-light vision.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
    • Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
    • Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table.
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Sensor EMITs always have some sort of specialised sensor attached to them, this functions in addition to their normal visual and acoustic sensors and gives them some immunity to flanking. The EMIT becomes aware of anything within 20 ft. of itself which sets off the sensor. A sensor can detect one change (e.g. temperature, sound, movement, etc) which grants the EMIT some sort of bonus. Examples of sensors include;

• Fire: Set off by any high temperature, granting a +1 bonus to reflex saves against spells, hazards and traps that deal heat damage and a +1 bonus to AC against all heat based weapons.
    • Cold: As above but with cold based attacks
    • Movement: The EMIT cannot be flanked or sneak attacked by a creature within 20ft. of it.
    • Magic: The EMIT reacts to any magical object within 20ft. of itself (not including itself but including other EMITs). Its effective control range (see below) is doubled.
    • Signal: The EMIT is able to detect when other EMITs have had their sensor tripped. It cannot be flanked unless all other EMITs within 20ft. of it are also flanked and gains a +1 dexterity bonus to its AC for each EMIT in that range

Reactor EMITs typically have some sort of device which reacts when its sensor is tripped. This can replicate the effects of any cantrip (0th level spell) once every hour up to 3 times per day. It will usually target whatever set off its sensor or itself as appropriate (e.g. it could be set to project an illusion whenever something moves within 20ft. of it, or cast chill touch on any source of heat that comes close).

Combat

EMITs are mindless and typically wait until given orders (which can be from anyone who knows how to work them, given the simple nature of the magic that created them) from anyone within 50ft. (or 100ft. if it has a Magic sensor). They will not enter combat (and indeed are of little use) unless directed by manual control. Anyone controlling them can only prompt them to move in a certain direction (the sensor triggers its reactor automatically).

Crafting EMITs

EMITs are created from discarded and broken magical and alchemical items, re-purposed to form a working construct.

The base cost for constructing an EMIT is 100gp, plus 150XP. Adding a reactor costs the same amount as it would to brew a potion of the same spell in gold, plus 50% of that amount in XP.

The HD of the EMIT can be increased at a cost of multiplying the base cost by the amount above to (e.g. a 2HD EMIT costs 100 gp and 150XP, a 3HD EMIT costs 200gp and 300XP, 4HD 300gp and 450XP and so on).

At the DMs discretion, the material costs could be replaced by skill checks or XP to represent the fact that the parts are scavenged rather than bought (a DC of 10 + (5 x [1/100 amount of GP]) or 2XP per GP to represent the time spent scavenging).

Lore
    The following can be determined by a Knowledge (Arcana) or Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) check.

{TABLE=head]DC|Lore
    12|This is an EMIT. A simple magical construct built by amateurs, hobbyists or mages in training.
    17|They are built from discarded magic parts. They can be commanded to move by anyone within a certain distance.
    22|They usually have some sort of simple spell which is cast automatically when certain criteria are met.[/TABLE]

Plot Hooks
    • The PCs accidentally throw out an important magical item, which ends up being used in an EMIT by a young wizard. They must track him down before other parties interested in obtaining the item do.
    • The PCs are asked to find a missing EMIT builder. He seems to have left clues in the form of a trail of EMITs he's built everywhere he goes.
    • A massive swarm of EMITs are being guided through a city, causing disruption by blocking roads and even injuring a few people who were caught in the "stamped". The PCs are hired to find the one responsible and put a stop to it.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

The oasis wouldn't work, but I could see the others being in Ishka (the main issue with the oasis is that first, it lives under ground, which doesn't work with most of Ishka, and second, most people would likely find it rather odd to see a park in the middle of the city with no sunlight). The weirded ways would likely be somewhat small in number, but not be unheard of (for one thing they keep each other away). I could even see some that have formed some sort of agreement with a small district they live in where they protect it from criminals and in exchange it can eat the criminals and they don't have people come kill it and overlook the occasional disappearing traveler, even if he 'vanishes' right in front of them (it also avoids eating most of the citizens).

Anyway, they seem good.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Orc in the Playground

Sudden urge to homebrew:

Dual Object (Magic Weapon quality)
    This object can be treated as one of two items, and may take on qualities of one whilst looking like another. The two objects must have a vaguely similar shape, but otherwise any two objects may be used. The best way to describe this is through example, that of a violin/club and it's bow/sword. Elanor, their owner, can play music with them. Once she has finished she may use the bow/sword to stab an enemy with the object still appearing as a bow, and club an enemy with what looks like a violin but not wreck the precious object. She may then pretend to be part of a barbarian horde and attack her allies with her 'sword', but have it bounce off without doing any damage as if it were nothing but a violin bow.
    Other uses could include a spellbook/stone tablet, a poison dart/daisy, or a great sword/magic staff.
    The owner of a Dual Object is defined by its creator, and only the owner can manipulate the object. Switching owners requires a ritual costing 100gp and 25XP.
    Moderate transmutation and illusion; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor/Create Wondrous Item, Polymorph Any Object; Price ????? (any suggestions?)

Also, I think E.M.I.T constructs are quite a good idea. Of course, they'd be prettied up as toys, but I like the idea of there being a kind of construct-makers guild where you have to make one to apply. The lowfolk are just generally cool.
    Last edited by TheLonelyScribe; 2010-05-11 at 01:25 AM.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Fleshy body construct would be very hard to tell from a Similacrum or person an external exam could only tell by noting ether subtle imperfections or unusual shapes in the bone structure but if you were to cut such a construct open it would be quite obvious you weren’t dealing with an organic being (unlike a Similacrum which appears normal through and through until destroyed and turned back to snow) internally the bones would be made of stone wood and metal while the ribcage is solid and only has false lines of ribs the abdomen would have several of the less rigid vital structures as well as support for the upper body. Think a T 1000 but with a lot of stone and wood inside and also not all of the soft bits are expendable. I was thinking about the warforged magic items that attach and merge with the body and I was thinking that a Fleshy body workforged could attach them but it would deal 1 point of damage and give a -2 circumstance penalty when trying to appear humanoid.

They all seam to fit Urban Oasis would be used by the wild in the grove to defend ther hidden locations and to cause chaos plus there are border regions where a lose one would thrive. Also the borders of Galidrin would work well (otherwise Owrtho is spot on).

Sialla Danda's Thrive needs some limit or well you see the problem. SIX MILION HP!!!

E.M.I.T s are awesome especially if the rule is they can be made by any caster without the craft construct feat an E.M.I.T with a variation on magic mouth would make a good talking toy(I love constructs).

@TheLonelyScribe so are they like keys/guns in MSPA (Page forward a couple of times you should get the idea) or are they more like the sword bow and bow staff in magic item compendium?
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-05-11 at 03:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1017

The way the dual objects are described, I think it's along both lines....that is, assuming both object are roughly similar in shape/size then they can be made to function as one or the other.

As to the "Sialla Danda": Let's change it from "for every 500 people in their city" to "for every 500 living beings in their home district"

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    Sudden urge to homebrew:

Dual Object (Magic Weapon quality)
    This object can be treated as one of two items, and may take on qualities of one whilst looking like another. The two objects must have a vaguely similar shape, but otherwise any two objects may be used. The best way to describe this is through example, that of a violin/club and it's bow/sword. Elanor, their owner, can play music with them. Once she has finished she may use the bow/sword to stab an enemy with the object still appearing as a bow, and club an enemy with what looks like a violin but not wreck the precious object. She may then pretend to be part of a barbarian horde and attack her allies with her 'sword', but have it bounce off without doing any damage as if it were nothing but a violin bow.
    Other uses could include a spellbook/stone tablet, a poison dart/daisy, or a great sword/magic staff.
    The owner of a Dual Object is defined by its creator, and only the owner can manipulate the object. Switching owners requires a ritual costing 100gp and 25XP.
    Moderate transmutation and illusion; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor/Create Wondrous Item, Polymorph Any Object; Price ????? (any suggestions?)

Also, I think E.M.I.T constructs are quite a good idea. Of course, they'd be prettied up as toys, but I like the idea of there being a kind of construct-makers guild where you have to make one to apply. The lowfolk are just generally cool.
    Problem Sleuth much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Problem Sleuth much?
    Never even heard of it until now. I got the idea more from this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ron+motivators (11th post down, spoilered)

I thought, 'No way could a violin bow draw blood!', and then decided to make one that could (using the power of my imagination!).

The Dual Objects are less weird and crazy than the gun/key in that problem sleuth thing, and I'm afraid I do not own a copy of the magic item compendium. I'll detail the idea a little more though:

The object can do anything that any of its constituent objects can do, at the same time, except for look like both at once (that would be too confusing!). You could have your swordbow (violin bow, not one used for launching arrows) look and feel like a sword whilst playing a violin and stabbing an enemy with the pointy end. You could prepare spells from your stonespellbook above a roaring flame with no ill effect (to the spellbook). You could tickle someone with your poisondartdaisy and kill them. The idea is that, not only can it switch between being these two things, it can actually be both of them at the same time.

^I think that last sentence was the most helpful^

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

As to the "Sialla Danda": Let's change it from "for every 500 people in their city" to "for every 500 living beings in their home district"
    Or we could just pop some extra 0s on it. Change it from "for every 500" to "for every 500,000"

Go Tigers!