New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

Quote Originally Posted by BLiZme.2 View Post
    @Silverscale Thanks for the reminder about Sphen I thought we had come to something like that (now I remember the discussion at least more clearly) you cleared some stuff up thanks.
    I do not remember the canals but I like how you describe them here
    Thanks although they are not in Galdren so much as they are between Galdren and the lake. Yes the irrigation they provide stretches into Galdren but all the houses and such that make up The Canal District are not part of Galdren

@ anyone and everyone(this would be a good account name )
    dose anyone have any advice (or references) on how to draw a lake I cant seem to make one that look natural for the map (yes i know development but I think much of the lake edge remains in a relatively native shape) [if all else fails I’ll stair at satellite views of the great lakes till something hits me maybe Ontario seams promising IIRC the shape right].
    Actually now that I look at them on Google Images, I rather like the shape of Lake Huron for some reason, with two of the canals coming off the southern edge of the section in the upper right and the other three coming off the east side of the main portion of the lake. And the river therefore would be coming off the southern tip of the lake much like the connection to Lake Erie.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, had an idea for a point of interest near the top.

Name: The Skylight Café
    Details: A wealthy merchant (needs race) in Ishka (needs name), decided to settle down and open a high class restaurant. Having always loved looking at the sky, and having the financial backing needed, to fund his idea, the merchant began work on the Skylight Café. Extending through 6 layers of Ishka, the name is considered by some to be somewhat erroneous, as only the top three floors are actually a café, while the remaining 8 are a high class restaurant. The top floor consists of an open feeling space covered by a large dome of magically re-enforce glass. Each floor is then further enchanted to make itself and all upon it look invisible to those on a lower floor, a clear view of the sky, and letting light pass all the way down. The Skylight Café is lavishly decorated, and often displays works of art from the most popular of Artists in Ishka.
    Due to the costs and popularity of eating there, most who eat there are wealthy or noble. Artists frequently compete to get their work placed within, hoping for the business it brings (so much so some wonder if it is not the art being there that makes it popular rather than the art being there because it's popular). Many hoping to impress their status or wealth will bring people to the Skylight Café for discussing business. It is also expect that one attend in finery.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huron is probably the best template the river would flow at an angle starting where St Ignace is and at about the angle to the cost of Lake Michigan. I think it might be best to close the connections of the islands on the north side and just ignore Georgian Bay as well as the North Channel and the area around Sault saint Marie.
    I should probably reflect it to for good measure it would make it fit my existing art better two.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought I'd mention it as I saw it causing some trouble, but seems you can't have 's or .s in the anchors for when you want to make text link to one, else it doesn't become a link.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #1145

Point of Interest: Falls View Cafe
    Location: The Commons near the were the river plunges into the canyon.
    Description: The Falls View Cafe is built near the falls as it plunges past the first 8 layers. Inside the tables are arranged to take advantage of the view out the large windows. Ouside there are decks for patrons to experience the falls as they rush past.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1146

Point of Interest: Bazare of the Bizarre
    Description: Given the connections Ishka has to the Multiverse, particularly in the Mages District, it is possible to find any item your heart desires and The Bazare of the Bizarre specializes in the strangest of them all. Where Amiel's has or can get any weapon or armor you can think of, the practitioners of the Bazare either have any magic item you're looking for or know where to get it.....for a price. Though all under one roof, it is actually a collection of smaller shops that each have their individual specializations.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1147

Point of Interest: Chubb's Grubb Shack
    Description: Though definitely not the best food in Ishka, the thing that attracts the customers is the price. Many patrons wonder if the cheap prices are because the food is gotten "Off the back of the truck". Others think Chubb must have some secret stash of game somewhere. The reality is sort of a combination of these two assumptions. Chubb has a portal to a distant world hidden away in the back of his premises. He's made deals with local poachers and rustlers to keep the meat coming in for less than it would cost to bring it through the regular channels of either CnI or The Market District.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

Idea for an organization.

Name: The Guide Guild
    Description: The guide guild started as a part of the Cartographers Collective with the purpose of providing extra money for it. However, it soon took on a life of it's own, particularly after certain unnamed investors took an interest in it. It now still works closely with the Cartographers Collective, making use of their maps, but has become its own entity. It advertises that it "We'll guide you anywhere in the city", and will do so for a price. They even will guarantee that you make it there alive if you pay enough.
    While no solid proof exists, some theorize that the guide guild has connections with the Alliance. This is in fact true, though no members will ever admit it, and many are unaware. The Alliance provides funding and leaves the guild alone, and in exchange the guild provides the Alliance with information regarding who is trying to go where. In some cases they will even have members in the know guide people the Alliance wants taken care of to their death, or a location of the Alliance's choosing. Such things are however written off as the person failing to follow properly and getting lost (not too strange as they usually take paths akin to those used by the Cartographers Collective unless paid extra not to).
    Despite their involvement with the Alliance and the rumours floating around, few actually believe them to be true. Weather this is because they do such a good job hiding it or because people don't want to lose such a convenient group for when they're in unfamiliar parts of the city is uncertain. All branches of the Guide Guild are also noted for being enchanted so that anyone focusing on them within a few mile radius can tell its location relative to themselves.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-06-09 at 04:07 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Owrtho "though no members will never" I think you mean ever.
    This seems really cool just one thing I’m not sure about the homing beckon effect seems to be the kind o thing the screen would kill (dose everyone like the name the screen for the divination block on the city it seems like the kind of slang that would come up an alternate could be the haze or the mist).

@ Silverscale The Bazare of the Bizarre right up has a couple of flaws in style but seems ok mostly the all under one roof bit i pictured the Bazare as a sprawling multistreet affair with shops stalls and spread carpets all along it for at least a cubic block (not a square block as Ishka is 3D I figure a cubic block is a real life city block but 3 layers tall), not some pan dimensional shopping mall all in one clean building with all the shops paying rent. Also I think we should mention there is a massive gate connecting the Bazare to the heart of the market district I would imagine Amiel's is in sight of the gate
    the other two POIs are assume though

I am having difficulty getting my pictures off the camera they are on it safe and sound I just cant find my connecter cable sorry everyone. My grandparents just visited from 3 states over so no written progress (on the map) sense last up date but ideas have been fruitfully simmering (maybe some time this week I’ll have the lake and sepon outlined right then the hard part starts).
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-06-09 at 03:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1150

@BLiZme.2: How about with the following changes in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Point of Interest: Bazare of the Bizarre
    Description: Given the connections Ishka has to the Multiverse, particularly in the Mages District, it is possible to find any item your heart desires and The Bazare of the Bizarre specializes in the strangest of them all. Where Amiel's has or can get any weapon or armor you can think of, the practitioners of the Bazare either have any magic item you're looking for or know where to get it.....for a price. Though all under one massive roof, it is actually a collection of smaller shops that each have their individual specializations. The Bazare is so massive it covers a area half a mile by half a mile on a side and extending through 4 layers. In the center of the Bazare, guarded by Gatekeepers, is a gate to the Astral plane as well as a gate linking it directly to The Market District.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ Silverscale the bit i do not like is the one roof bit it might be technically true in that the layers above form one solid roof but the turn of phrase dose not seem appropriate for this instance as it implies they all have a formal connection beyond there city and district (under one roof implies conglomerate ownership of the stores or at least the location (and that Is the only non trivial meaning in Ishka))(imagine if there were a dome over the city of Constantinople in the forth century the city bizarre would literally but not figuratively be under one roof) I appreciate your play to size description (to solve my complaint) but feel it is clumsy and dose not adores my concerns at all and could stand to be cut(it seams a little to specific {ha ha me complain about specific}), the bit about the gates is well done though.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Troll in the Playground

@ Silverscale the bit i do not like is the one roof bit it might be technically true in that the layers above form one solid roof but the turn of phrase dose not seem appropriate for this instance as it implies they all have a formal connection beyond there city and district (under one roof implies conglomerate ownership of the stores or at least the location (and that Is the only non trivial meaning in Ishka))(imagine if there were a dome over the city of Constantinople in the forth century the city bizarre would literally but not figuratively be under one roof) I appreciate your play to size description (to solve my complaint) but feel it is clumsy and dose not adores my concerns at all and could stand to be cut(it seams a little to specific {ha ha me complain about specific}), the bit about the gates is well done though.
    In a way though, they would be "under one roof" in the metaphorical sense. They are all cooperating in order to form the Bizarre Bazaar. There must be some sort of agreement made, in order to prevent hassles and stuff between shops. Just like how the various stores in a mall have to sign agreements, you probably need one for the Bazaar. Also, adding "massive" to the post lets the reader know that the description is talking about a literal roof rather than a metaphorical one, and is meant to show that the bazaar is in doors, in one large building.

Go Tigers!

13. - Top - End - #1153

I'm gonna have to agree with ForzaFiori on this. The Bazaar is like a modern day mall, each shop is independently owned but they all pay a small fee to operate in the same mega shopping center. There's probably even a small security force that reports to who ever it is that owns the whole Bazaar. In fact I'm working on a Taskforged Mercenary group (won't be able to do anything with it till next week since I'm going to my mother's house for a few days) when I have it done they can be the group that's been hired to provide security for the Bazaar. As to if it's indoors or not, pretty much anything that doesn't extend to the top layer is "Indoors". That being said, with a little magic anything can be made to look like it's outdoors (For example the ceiling of The Great Hall at Hogwarts is enchanted to show the sky outside) so if you want to have a few enchantments in place to make the Bazaar seem like it's outdoors that's fine with me.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1154

One thought that has recently occurred to me is that given the way Ishka is layed out in layers, and the sheer size of the city, most buildings are huge at least by modern earth standards. Even a single layer establishment is still 3-stories tall and probably has at least a 100ft square footprint. And those are probably some of the smallest buildings........Food for thought.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Halfling in the Playground

Something for the Wizards.

Point Of Interest: The Secure Labs (Needs a better name)
    Description:
    With space at such a premium; and with so many wizards, sorcerers, alchemists and arcane dabblers there is always going to be a problem with magical experiments going wrong. With this in mind the University constructed the first Secure Lab. Each Lab is constructed in it own pocket dimension. The security for each lab is different depending on what is being studied.

Several notable Labs are:
    Department Arcanometerology - Tasked with monitoring Ishka's background magical energy. Probes extend out into the city through hundreds of small portals. Minimal security.

The Far Lab - Built to study the Far Plane, this Lab has the highest security of all the Labs. Access is granted through a single heavily guarded portal which leads into the first of ten, sealed quarantine pocket dimensions. At the end is a small research outpost.
    Marvel at my IMPRESSIVE (and Expensive) collection of Discworld Books!!!

16. - Top - End - #1156

Quote Originally Posted by Terror_Incognito View Post
    Something for the Wizards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Point Of Interest: The Secure Labs (Needs a better name)
    Description:
    With space at such a premium; and with so many wizards, sorcerers, alchemists and arcane dabblers there is always going to be a problem with magical experiments going wrong. With this in mind the University constructed the first Secure Lab. Each Lab is constructed in it own pocket dimension. The security for each lab is different depending on what is being studied.

Several notable Labs are:
    Department Arcanometerology - Tasked with monitoring Ishka's background magical energy. Probes extend out into the city through hundreds of small portals. Minimal security.

The Far Lab - Built to study the Far Plane, this Lab has the highest security of all the Labs. Access is granted through a single heavily guarded portal which leads into the first of ten, sealed quarantine pocket dimensions. At the end is a small research outpost.
    Would the entrances to all these various labs be housed in one giant complex with the lower security on the first floor and each additional floor being home to higher and higher security labs? That would make sense to me.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1157

Actually another question I have with the labs....as you describe them these seem more academic then personal research so would these be at the University instead of the Mages district?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Dwarf in the Playground

They could be various locations and it could be against the law to do some kinds of magical experiment in the city proper?

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here is the first stage of the city map the lake and harbor are just place holders but I am happy with the layout of the city and the canyon going up river here are the sections 1&2, 2&3, 3&4,4&5, 5&6.
    Also i have some more holistic views like these three as well as one looking up river and one down river. (If you play with the brightness on the last two you can make the far end clear but all I have is MS Office Picture manager and MS paint to do graphical editing so I can’t make the far ends clear without washing out the near end. {If anyone wanted to balance the light levels on these last two and post them I would be much obliged [f.y.i. my monitor is dark so maybe this is a non issue for other people]}.)

Addendum: The station floor plans are coming along ok it is really hard to find space I will post what I have done soon
    Last edited by BLiZme.2; 2010-06-15 at 10:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Post Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

you guys seem to be complicating the transport system too much.

I'm thinking that in each district (or several smaller districts) are 5-6 stations that connect to each other and the Prime station for that district (like Necropolis Prime etc). then that Prime station is connected to 5-6 other Prime stations and an Omega station. that Omega station is connected to all the other Omega stations. that way normal stations are connected to 6-7 stations, Prime stations are connected to 13-15 stations and Omega stations are connected to 6-7 stations. the max travel time is 20 minutes (give or take for missed transitions) and allows people to go anywhere in a short amount of time. (more Omega, Prime and normal stations can be added in if needed but that doesn't affect travel time).

please post what you think about this idea.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

21. - Top - End - #1161

you guys seem to be complicating the transport system too much.

I'm thinking that in each district (or several smaller districts) are 5-6 stations that connect to each other and the Prime station for that district (like Necropolis Prime etc). then that Prime station is connected to 5-6 other Prime stations and an Omega station. that Omega station is connected to all the other Omega stations. that way normal stations are connected to 6-7 stations, Prime stations are connected to 13-15 stations and Omega stations are connected to 6-7 stations. the max travel time is 20 minutes (give or take for missed transitions) and allows people to go anywhere in a short amount of time. (more Omega, Prime and normal stations can be added in if needed but that doesn't affect travel time).

please post what you think about this idea.
    I think the Station system is exactly as complicated as it needs to be. You're describing a system where each district only has 5-6 stations. This is completely unrealistic since each district is at least as big as Manhatten, and that's just one layer of the district there are probably at least 5-10 layers, if not more for each district. The only District that has it's own Station system is Galdren because of the much lower population density and need to transport more goods then people. But even here the Galdren Stations Line has at least one connection to the rest of the system (probably through P.C.S.) to allow food goods to be distributed throughout Ishka.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Halfling in the Playground

@Silverscale

That is exactly what I was thinking. I was going to but it in the University, but I couldn't find it on the Wiki so I stuck it in the Mages district.
    Marvel at my IMPRESSIVE (and Expensive) collection of Discworld Books!!!

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

i thought that the stations are for long distance travel, we might have another type of transportation or if need be we can add in another couple of layers downwards. it wont affect travel times that much and the system allows for malfunctions. if a terminal goes it will only affect the one route. say necropolis 1 and necropolis 5 the link is broken between them. since this only affects that one link people can go to say necropolis 3 and then go to necropolis 5 via that terminal. we can even put in Sub-stations for when the normal connecting ones (necropolis prime connects the necropolis system to the rest) go completely down (that would be VERY rare) or someone has to go in a hurry they can go there, whereas with your one you go from stop to stop progressively, if one goes down the entire track is stuck until it's fixed. plus i think that your not thinking about the teleport magic enough. your system seems to be a series of bus stops when it can really only be a series of self-jumps. it becomes so much more efficient and breakdowns are less of a problem. by saving time when something goes wrong, stops compensation payouts to people who got fired from work for being late, so it's an economically viable idea, a political one and an efficient one. my system can handle a crisis and takes up around the same space as your in the stations and saves time for commuters not having to remember extensive station lines, lists and figures.
    call me Dragon

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Orc in the Playground

newD&Dfan stuff
    Look, even if your system is better than our system, which I don't think it is (all the things that you say your system does can already be done by our system!), the contributors of this thread have worked long and very hard on the current system. It's a fictional world, and we want to focus on enjoying creating it. If you genuinely think that your system will increase enjoyment of our world, then post a comprehensive and comprehensible explanation with full punctuation. If not, leave it and let's continue with the POI theme. Please and thankyou.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

25. - Top - End - #1165

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    Look, even if your system is better than our system, which I don't think it is (all the things that you say your system does can already be done by our system!), the contributors of this thread have worked long and very hard on the current system. It's a fictional world, and we want to focus on enjoying creating it. If you genuinely think that your system will increase enjoyment of our world, then post a comprehensive and comprehensible explanation with full punctuation. If not, leave it and let's continue with the POI theme. Please and thankyou.
    I have to second this.....the system is not connected by physical tracks they are simply arranged so that any given Chamber is programmed to teleport to a set series of Stations in a circuit. You mentioned that if one Station/Chamber fails then the whole line is shut down, this is not so, if one malfunctions yes the line will be temporarily disabled but within a matter of minutes the line can be programmed to temporarily bypass that Station while the problem is fixed. Actually to this effect I propose a new Organization.

Ishka Transit Authority: With their headquarters at Primordium Central Station, I.T.A. is tasked with ensuring the smooth operation of The Stations. There job includes working in conjunction with the Streetbuilders to maintain the Stations and also to monitor the flow of passengers and goods throughout the system, watching to make sure any malfunctions are bypassed and then fixed a quickly as possible. To help monitor the system they have a Great Map of Ishka with relatively low detail except for the fact that it is the only one that shows every single stop in the entire Station system.

Yes the stations are for long distance travel but so is the subway system in any major city......this is just a VERY big city.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Post Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

ok I'm sorry if i came over a bit strong i just think that my system would be more inline with Ishka than the current one.
    here is my system (it may need some adjustments)
    tiers:
    Colossal
    Huge
    Large
    Normal
    Small
    Tiny

lets use an example to start. say person1 wanted to go from a Small station in the necropolis to another Small station in The Academy, with the current system person1 has to know exactly which terminal to take him to the next stop on it's route then figure out which terminal that's in. the route might take 1/2 hour or 1/2 day to get there depending on how many mistakes made and number of stops. my way person1 only has to know to go 'larger' (Large-Huge-Colossal) and then 4-6 station names to got to the right Colossal then the right Huge etc. plus the map system for this would be easier to use, thus decreasing time spent traveling. simply input station name and sometimes size and it will show you the route required to get there, it would be easier to remember then a convoluted map full of black lines and blue lines. simply 4-6 station names and your off.
    on another note: accidents are going to eventually happen, stations shutting down, terminals not working, riots, etc. if you can't go too these places in the current system, entire lines shut down which can cause more lines to shut down or may be overloaded by passengers trying to get to and from work/home/shops etc, while my system is designed to compensate for redundancies. i think that it is because of these features that makes other districts more available to PCs and NPCs while the current system seems to stifle it. the reasons outlined above convince me that my system is better and should replace the current one.

PS. I'm sorry if i take away peoples fun of making things. i am only trying to contribute and point out flaws that could be fixed, which makes a more fluid and enjoyable setting for the DM and players which I'm sure most if not all of you are.
    call me Dragon

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

sorry for the double post. i didn't see what you had written silverscale, however i believe that even with the new organization there can still be improvements by adapting my idea to fit yours or just using mine.
    call me Dragon

28. - Top - End - #1168

@newD&Dfan: Seeing as you have yet to give a comprehensive explanation of your system and so far as I can tell from what you have written your system doesn't seem any better than what we've got and in fact as far as physical space would seem to require more.......

In the interest of moving on and not having everyone else shoot you down as I am want to do at the moment, please PM me with a comprehensive explanation of your ideas and we can work together to mesh our systems.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

i don't know how to pm i only joined here about 2 days ago
    call me Dragon

30. - Top - End - #1170

i don't know how to pm i only joined here about 2 days ago
    Click on my screen name next to my post and it will bring up a short menu. One of the options is to send a private message, after that it's just like sending an e-mail.

Spoiler
    Show