New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748
Results 1,411 to 1,433 of 1433
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Closed Account

Default Re: Community Worldbuilding Project [Ishka: Urban and Urbane]

Quote Originally Posted by Temassasin View Post
    I have a idea why is everybody running away? i swear this (shoud) not hurt anybody

POI

Name: The Ishkan Steps
    District: None
    Description: The mountans near Ishka are rich in gold, but but are hard to mine because of the ruggedness of the mountans. Outside of a few paths, which are nearly impassable because of the ogres and hill giants, which live here. They are ruled by the ogre Cheiftan Krog, who is really a greedy oni named Krogaren

Comments
    I've fixed all of your grammar mistakes. Anyway, this idea doesn't work because A) the ogres would just be annexed into the city, as there is no way they could stop the city, and B) This is Ishka. The Ruggedness of mountains aren't going to stop the city from mining them out.

NEW DISTRICT

Spoiler
    Show
    District: Anuzi
    Other Names: Gith, Lil Necropolis, The Dead God
    Government: Absolute Monarchy
    Police Force: Anuzi Enforcers
    Description: Twenty years ago, a wizard from the Academy named Anuzi, was doing a research project on the ecology of the Astral Plane. When he attempted to summon a githyanki to question, she, being a powerful wizard, accidentally made an entire githyanki fortress appear above the city. The fortress, which like all githyanki settlements, was made out of dead god, was still technically in the Astral Plane, but the spot where the god appeared was was coterminous with the Astral plane and if you touched the fortress itself, you'd enter said plane. Anuzi was forced by the city to send an expedition to fortress that, as it has appeared in Ishkas airspace, the city now considers it to be part of the city. The githyanki understandably did not agree, and fighting started. Anuzi's undead forces won and the fortress was annexed into the city.

The district is not apart of the Material Plane, and though it can be seen from the Material Plane, those on the Astral Plane cannot see it. The city boasts a sizable undead and illithid population, the latter of which moved in to spite the few githyanki remaining in the district. In addition, the district has many older people form all races live here, in order to avoid death. In the Material Plane, the district orbits around Mithril Heights. Stepping on any part of the visible image of the district on the material Plane takes you to the Astral PLane, where of course, the district is located. The district itself is ruled by Anuzi, however, she takes little interest in ruling the city and allows representatives from the people rule in her place. These representatives are decided by a vote, and if she wishes, Anuzi may overrule any decision by them.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-04-28 at 09:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    I've fixed all of your grammar mistakes. Anyway, this idea doesn't work because A) the ogres would just be annexed into the city, as there is no way they could stop the city, and B) This is Ishka. The Ruggedness of mountains aren't going to stop the city from mining them out.
    Maybe the loose tribe of ogres and hill giants were originally antagonistic but have long since been annexed by Ishka into their own district on the land they once called their own. I would put this district geographically close to both Gobin and Gulliver's Heights.
    NEW DISTRICT
    Spoiler
    Show
    District: Anuzi
    Other Names: Gith, Lil Necropolis, The Dead God
    Government: Absolute Monarchy
    Police Force: Anuzi Enforcers
    Description: Twenty years ago, a wizard from the Academy named Anuzi, was doing a research project on the ecology of the Astral Plane. When he attempted to summon a githyanki to question; she, being a powerful wizard, accidentally made an entire githyanki fortress appear above the city. The fortress, which like all githyanki settlements, was made out of dead god, was still technically in the Astral Plane; but the spot where the god appeared was coterminous with the Astral plane. If you touched the fortress itself you'd be shifted to the Astral plane. Anuzi was forced by the city to send an expedition to fortress that, as it has appeared in Ishka's airspace; Ishka now considers to be part of the city. The githyanki understandably did not agree, and fighting started. Anuzi's undead forces won and the fortress was annexed into the city.

The district is not apart of the Material Plane, and though it can be seen from the Material Plane, those on the Astral Plane cannot see it. The district boasts a sizable undead and illithid population, the latter of which moved in to spite the few githyanki remaining in the district. In addition, the district has many older people form all races live here, in order to avoid death. In the Material Plane, the district orbits around Mithril Heights. Stepping on any part of the visible image of the district on the material Plane takes you to the Astral Plane, where of course, the district is located. The district itself is ruled by Anuzi, however, she takes little interest in ruling the city and allows representatives from the people rule in her place. These representatives are decided by a vote, and if she wishes, Anuzi may overrule any decision by them.
    I think this is a great idea. I corrected some of your grammar mistakes for you. How closely does this orbit to Mithril Heights because if it's too close, it could pose a serious problem to the air traffic around Skyport.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Maybe the loose tribe of ogres and hill giants were originally antagonistic but have long since been annexed by Ishka into their own district on the land they once called their own. I would put this district geographically close to both Gobin and Gulliver's Heights.
    Yeah, but even then it would have probably been merged with Gulliver's Heights. Speaking of, I think this distrcit would work best as a P.O.I. within Gulliver's Heights, unless Temassasin wants to give it a radically differant flavor than said district.

I think this is a great idea. I corrected some of your grammar mistakes for you.
    Thank you, on both counts.

How closely does this orbit to Mithril Heights because if it's too close, it could pose a serious problem to the air traffic around Skyport.
    I figure it would orbit close enough to be a problem for someone who wasn't paying attention while piloting the airships, but if you knew what you were doing you'd be able to avoid it without a problem. I'm not exactly sure how far out that would be, though. Anyway, does Ishka use the Planescape cosmology or 3.5 cosmology? And for space, does it use Grubbian or real world physics? I suppose both can be changed by the DM to what they want, I was just wondering about the "default".
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-04-29 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Closed Account

I'm going to edit the next A Ratsin Saved into this post later tonight. Before I do that I'd like to know any criticisms of the story itself that anyone has.

5. - Top - End - #1415

Yeah, but even then it would have probably been merged with Gulliver's Heights. Speaking of, I think this distrcit would work best as a P.O.I. within Gulliver's Heights, unless Temassasin wants to give it a radically differant flavor than said district.
    I'm cool with it being a POI
    I figure it would orbit close enough to be a problem for someone who wasn't paying attention while piloting the airships, but if you knew what you were doing you'd be able to avoid it without a problem. I'm not exactly sure how far out that would be, though.
    So we'll say for the sake of making up numbers that it has a 10 mile radius orbit centered around The Mithral Tower.
    Anyway, does Ishka use the Planescape cosmology or 3.5 cosmology? And for space, does it use Grubbian or real world physics? I suppose both can be changed by the DM to what they want, I was just wondering about the "default".
    You mean as far as how the planes are arranged? Ummmm....I guess for the most part yes. As to any type of physics, though generally assumed to be loosely based on real world physics, I generally leave that up to the DM as far as how they want to handle a science that was so complex it had to have it's own advanced math system created to talk about it. (Yes playgrounders calculus is the language of physics. At least that's always what my math teacher said in HS.)
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Closed Account

You mean as far as how the planes are arranged? Ummmm....I guess for the most part yes.
    I meant for the planes that exist. I should have probably made it more clear, but do the para- and quasi-elemental planes exist in Ishka?

7. - Top - End - #1417

I meant for the planes that exist. I should have probably made it more clear, but do the para- and quasi-elemental planes exist in Ishka?
    So far I think we've forged a connection between Ishka and all of the Inner Planes and probably even some of the Outer Planes. I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be para- and quasi-elemental planes as well if you've got something you want to do with one or more of them. Just don't make it toooo crazy. We don't want this turning into Sigil.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Closed Account

So far I think we've forged a connection between Ishka and all of the Inner Planes and probably even some of the Outer Planes. I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be para- and quasi-elemental planes as well if you've got something you want to do with one or more of them. Just don't make it toooo crazy. We don't want this turning into Sigil.
    I was thinking of expanding the Elemental Guard and was wondering if there were any Inner Planes other than the energy ones that I could use. I think I'm just going to have a district in the negative and positive energy planes and the void plane.

9. - Top - End - #1419

Expand Away.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Closed Account

Sorry 'bout not doing those districts yet. My laptop got a bunch of viruses on it, so I haven't been on a computer for more than a half hour at a time. I'll have them done by at least Sunday. Maybe.

11. - Top - End - #1421

I feel you on computers with virus'. Mine was in the shop for 6 days about a week ago. Fortunately some friends of mine basically have a computer lab in their house so I was able to use that a bit.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just noticed that you asked for criticism on your story Rob. My criticism is based on my personal taste, and so you should feel free to adopt it, consider it, or ignore it. IMHO, having many different viewpoints can get confusing. Be careful to separate different viewpoints by as much as you can. Preferably by chapter if possible. Either that or write in a movie-like pan out that references action far away without giving it too much attention that will draw away from the story. The other thing I'm a big fan of is description. When I write stories, the drafting process always involves adding all the description I can muster, which is then edited for brevity and relevance. I like the dialogue, which is something I always have trouble with, but I feel like it could be balanced with more description of the characters and the surroundings. Overall however, I really like it.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    I just noticed that you asked for criticism on your story Rob. My criticism is based on my personal taste, and so you should feel free to adopt it, consider it, or ignore it. IMHO, having many different viewpoints can get confusing. Be careful to separate different viewpoints by as much as you can. Preferably by chapter if possible. Either that or write in a movie-like pan out that references action far away without giving it too much attention that will draw away from the story. The other thing I'm a big fan of is description. When I write stories, the drafting process always involves adding all the description I can muster, which is then edited for brevity and relevance. I like the dialogue, which is something I always have trouble with, but I feel like it could be balanced with more description of the characters and the surroundings. Overall however, I really like it.
    Thanks for the criticism. I'm not going to have too many viewpoints, with most of them either being merged or killed off (though I won't go into specifics), so I don't think that'll be a problem. As for the descriptions, I've always tended toward the "only if it's needed" camp, which means only things that'll be relevant get mentioned, except when I mention irrelevant things to throw people off. I'll add more description though.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Zaydos is working on expanding the fluff for the Inner Planes and many of them could prove interesting places to link through a Random Gate to Ishka.

Also [shameless self-promotion] take a look at the other community world building project I've started[/shameless self-promotion] which could theoretically be linked through a Secret District directly to the Draconic Heritage Collective.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2011-05-15 at 01:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Closed Account

Also [shameless self-promotion] take a look at the other community world building project I've started[/shameless self-promotion] which could theoretically be linked through a Secret District directly to the Draconic Heritage Collective.
    I'll have a look at it. I just got a new laptop, so I'll be posting some new Ishka stuff soon.

Zaydos is working on expanding the fluff for the Inner Planes and many of them could prove interesting places to link through a Random Gate to Ishka.
    I don't think I'm going to be toying with the Inner Plane districts. Mostly because I was originally going to recycle some stuff from a campaign setting I was working on, and I've decided to start working on that again. "Course, I do think there should be more Inner planes stuff with Ishka, I'm just not going to do it.

EDIT

I seem to have forgotten to put up a write up of Ixtab. Here it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ixtab
    Patron Saint of Refugees, Perseverance, and Tyrants.
    Some centuries ago, a cabal of imps trying to escape the monotony of Hell, hitched a ride on some adventurers poorly cast teleport spell. Ending up in a part of the multiverse they didn't want to be in, they set up small kingdoms, were overthrow, ran for there lives, before setting up a new small kingdom. This continued for a while until Ixtab was born, and as she grew up she gained a more than healthy fascination with magic. However, unlike most wizards, she cared not for the theories, all she cared for were the results. By her two hundredth birthday, she was one of the most powerful Xibalbian politicians, and she used her power to become the only Xibalbian politician. In other words, she became an absolute monarch, queen of the most vile group of refugees in existence. With the unquestioning support of her people, she was able to migrate them all to the Prime, through a spell of her own making. And it worked, unfortunately the spell sent them to a spot on the Prime where reality was weak, where inter-planar gates where, and are, common. Thousands of devil spawned monsters appeared in Ishaka, and this was before Customs and Immigration was established. Indeed, there are some that say it was established because of the appearance of the Xibalbians. The city and the Xibalbians were immediately hostile, indeed it is only because of Ixtab that the fighting stopped and the District of Xibalba was formed, and its people named after it. Ixtab ruled the district for one hundred years, until she, in darkest hour of the districts artificial night, hung herself. This was around two hundred years ago. Many still debate why she did it, but the official explanation is because she could see that the future of the district lay not with one ruler, but with seven. Her seven sons took over the district the next day and have ruled with an iron fist as the Merchant-Kings ever since. One-hundred and fifty years ago the city was forced to canonize Ixtab, as the Patron Saint of Refugees, Perseverance and Tyrants.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2011-05-22 at 11:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Well now, so this is where Ishka went. Darn World-Building subforum coming out of nowhere.

Anyway, some thoughts on some of the various stuff that's occured since last I posted.
    On the moon district, an alternative to the totems would be perminant walls of force surrounding the area & sealing in the air (along with enough plants to properly convert the carbon dioxide back). That however isn't overly important as the totems can work just as well. Still I might suggest not having it located exactly on the half of the moon facing Ishka, but rather slightly offset, thus allowing people on Ishka to see part of the district and part of the moon proper at night.

As for the oozekind, I personally think the corrosive touch should be heavily toned down, as currently they would likely be unable to touch anything not treated to be resistant to them without it visibly and rapidly melting. This would include not having them almost auto-break armour and weapons. It seems whatever membrane they have would likely help to keep most of their corrosive fluids inside, while leaving the outside fairly safe (though if you sick something inside you may be in trouble).

As for A Ratsin Saved, the dialogue and story in general seem fairly good. The main problems I see are seem to be mostly confined to the more descriptive areas. For example in the first part the paragraph,
    "The pair started walking out of the alley they teleported in to, when the dwarf notices a hole in the wall of one of the buildings. When he goes to investigate, he's sucked in and the orc quickly follows."
    seemed to be somewhat poorly written in regards to the everything before, and seemed somewhat jarring as a result pulling me out of the story. It seemed more like someone summarizing the scene for me rather than actually having it described in the story.
    Something more like,
    "As the two moved to leave the alley they had teleported into, the dwarf's attention was drawn to what seemed to be a hole in the wall. As it caught his attention he moved closer to investigate, only to find himself getting sucked in. The orc, quick to notice his companions actions, had approached as well, only to meet the same fate moments later."
    seems like it may have been better. Then again that may just be me.

As a side note, the talk of the moon district gave me an idea for a similar area.

District: Stadindelucht
    Other Names: The Flying Town
    Government: Single ruler with elected council
    Police Force: The Crew
    Description: A minor noble from the commons, Jason's life changed when he, along with a few other minor nobles including Joshua, founder of Reticuli, made a wager over who could do the most outrageous thing in three months. Having always been fond of airships and the view they offered, he hatched a plan he felt was sure to win him the wager, and thus poured all his money into it. The result was a giant airship, large enough to fit a small town. Shecially designed to have large decks exposed to the sky with lavish gardens, parks, and high class homes, the interior levels contained a small few floor market, and well furnished but more affordable dwellings. While the eventual outcome of the wage left Jason with all his money spent and vastly outclassed by Joshua's manor on the moon, he did now find himself the owner of something of a novelty with a large number of homes and rooms to rent out. So it was he became the ruler of his own minor district circling the sky of Ishka. While his descendants have full rule over the ship, and as such can overrule any choices or even evict any residents on a whim, they have tended to be content allowing an elected council make most of the choices while they take in the taxes and handle financial backing. The current head of the district is Jason's granddaughter Carina, who has proven to be skilled in her management of money, and due to growing up on an airship, knowledgeable of their workings, allowing her to start up a small but growing airship company with its main factory based in Mithral Heights, though the headquarters are on Stadindelucht. While Carina and the council make most of the more noticeable choices in the district, also of some rank are the pilots faction, which is made up of the approximately twenty pilots employed to control the airship that makes up the district. While they rarely make use of their power, their voice is often heeded in regards controlling where the ship will be at a given time, particularly as it relates to weather and the Derelict, which has been given wide birth by the district since the first time they approached one another and the Derelict attacked.
    The policing of Stadindelucht is left up to the Crew, who also fulfils the role of taking care of the ship, controlling it, and maintaining it. Due to the nature of the district, there isn't much crime compared to most of Ishka, though if this is due to fear of criminals that attempts to evade justice there could result in bringing down the ship or to the Crew's habit of throwing criminals they think are a threat to the ship overboard is uncertain. Either way most policing ends up being more of making sure children and fools don't end up places they shouldn't be or messing with things they shouldn't touch. All of the crew and pilots are housed on the lower levels of the district where they are provided free rooms and access to higher class amenities in to help make up for their lower pay.

Person of Interest: Carina Vandelutch
    Position: Current owner of Stadindelucht and Vandelutch Airships
    Description: Born and raised on Stadindelucht, her parents died when she was in her late teens leaving her owner of the district. Fortunately she proved more than able and rose to the occasion, increasing the districts wealth far beyond what it had been in her parent's and grandfather's time. As a child she had enjoyed exploring the ship and due to her position had been allowed places most weren't allowing her to learn much of its workings form an early age. As such she was able to use that knowledge along with her newly increased wealth to start a small airship manufacturing company, purchasing an old factory in Mithral Heights, while having headquarters stationed in her home district. All of the blueprints for ships they make must go through her, and many are in fact initially drafted by herself, though they are also examined and adjusted by other designers she employs. While still small, the company quickly gained a reputation for excellent products and high quality, much to the dismay of her competition, who take solace in the small scale of company and her difficulty expanding it while also trying to actively manage her district's finances.
    Still she is considered important among nobility of Ishka both for her rank and accomplishments.

District needs a name and the founder needs a surname (which likely would be used in the district name and airship company name). Otherwise it seems fairly complete, though I may have missed some things.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-06-03 at 01:59 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Well now, so this is where Ishka went. Darn World-Building subforum coming out of nowhere.

Anyway, some thoughts on some of the various stuff that's occured since last I posted.
    On the moon district, an alternative to the totems would be perminant walls of force surrounding the area & sealing in the air (along with enough plants to properly convert the carbon dioxide back). That however isn't overly important as the totems can work just as well. Still I might suggest not having it located exactly on the half of the moon facing Ishka, but rather slightly offset, thus allowing people on Ishka to see part of the district and part of the moon proper at night.
    The district being the only visible part of the moon is so that say, a non-Ishkan looking up at the night sky would have just one more reminder of how much power Ishka has over the world. Not really necessary, but I thought it was a neat idea at the time.
    As for the oozekind, I personally think the corrosive touch should be heavily toned down, as currently they would likely be unable to touch anything not treated to be resistant to them without it visibly and rapidly melting. This would include not having them almost auto-break armour and weapons. It seems whatever membrane they have would likely help to keep most of their corrosive fluids inside, while leaving the outside fairly safe (though if you sick something inside you may be in trouble).
    I think the slime trail was acidic too, but I might be wrong. In any case, when I next do an oozekind write-up, I'll change that. That being said, I procrastinate on projects like that when I loose interest in them, so in all likelihood expect a race of mobile, carnivorous, albino trees that would pick the city over nature any day, first.

As for A Ratsin Saved, the dialogue and story in general seem fairly good. The main problems I see are seem to be mostly confined to the more descriptive areas. For example in the first part the paragraph,
    "The pair started walking out of the alley they teleported in to, when the dwarf notices a hole in the wall of one of the buildings. When he goes to investigate, he's sucked in and the orc quickly follows."
    seemed to be somewhat poorly written in regards to the everything before, and seemed somewhat jarring as a result pulling me out of the story. It seemed more like someone summarizing the scene for me rather than actually having it described in the story.
    Something more like,
    "As the two moved to leave the alley they had teleported into, the dwarf's attention was drawn to what seemed to be a hole in the wall. As it caught his attention he moved closer to investigate, only to find himself getting sucked in. The orc, quick to notice his companions actions, had approached as well, only to meet the same fate moments later."
    seems like it may have been better. Then again that may just be me.
    Thanks for the tip. I've never been particularity good with descriptions, except for the really dry sort, or as you can see, summarizations.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

The district being the only visible part of the moon is so that say, a non-Ishkan looking up at the night sky would have just one more reminder of how much power Ishka has over the world. Not really necessary, but I thought it was a neat idea at the time.
    Well, the issue there as I see it is that, the impact is lessened if you lack the ability to contrast it with an uncovered portion of the moon. Thus looking up and seeing 2/3s of the visible moon covered in city would be more distinct than seeing all of it covered in city, where it would just all blend together and more easily be overlooked (particularly for generations born after it happened).

I think the slime trail was acidic too, but I might be wrong. In any case, when I next do an oozekind write-up, I'll change that. That being said, I procrastinate on projects like that when I loose interest in them, so in all likelihood expect a race of mobile, carnivorous, albino trees that would pick the city over nature any day, first.
    So what you're saying is that you're currently working on a particularly interesting race of tree people that is precluding your work on the oozekind? Because that's what I see there and I'd be rather disappointed if the above mentioned race doesn't now appear in the coming days.

Thanks for the tip. I've never been particularity good with descriptions, except for the really dry sort, or as you can see, summarizations.
    I can understand that. I personally have trouble with a number of aspects of fictitious writing like that, as my tendency is to try cutting everything down to be as short and concise as possible. As such I've had to practice working on drawing things out into more descriptive narratives, that often require me going over it a few times and building it up more each time.

Unrelated to the above, but something I forgot in my last post. I saw someone mention that outside nations should either actively trade with Ishka or else be opposed to it, though I feel it should be noted there are likely some neutral ones. After all, while there are those who would try moving to Ishka to get rich, there are likely to be many more who are content with their smaller town/city lifestyle that likely also has a lower danger level & cost of living. After all, the district in Ishka with the lowest levels of crime is still rather dangerous of a place to live if you aren't careful (though Ravenshome may not be the best place to use when looking for safe places in Ishka), and outside it you're much more likely to run into crime, strange magical anomalies, or other hazards than in some rural small town or reasonable sized normal city (at least those not known for such things).
    Not to mention many people outside of Ishka like natural light, and are probably accustomed to seeing the sky on a daily basis.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #1429

They'd be like a cross between albino redwoods, venus flytraps(if they could eat a rat instead of well, flys), and the opposite of a druid.
    Ok, you have my interest.

Speaking of Albinos, which I've always thought were very interesting, did you know there is an entire species of cats who are all Albinos; though technically a variation on the gene, Siames Cats are all Albinos. Their Albinoism-gene is heat sensative and instead of creating no melanin at all, it only produces melanin at lower then normal body temperature, which is why Siames Cats are mostly white except at the ends of their feet, tail and ears and the front of their face. Actually if you were to look up pictures of Siames Cats born in warmer climates like the Italy, and compare them to pictures of Siames cats born in colder climates such as Greenland; you would see that while the one from Italy was mostly white, the one from Greenland is mostly light-dark brown.[/end massive but informative tangent]

As to the surname for the Airship family, how about the following options, Senhordoar, Dell'aria, or Vandelucht.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

Vandelucht seems like it could work rather well. Used Stadindelutch as the district name though. I take it you intentionally put the name together to mean "of the sky" in Dutch?

As for the tree people, the anti druid part actually makes some sense, given that albino redwoods are actually parasitic, and don't help the environment at all, instead leeching off it. They also would likely be better suited for city life where they can purchase what they need allowing a more symbiotic than parasitic relationship. Mind their ability to eat would mean that they aren't actually parasites like real albino redwoods, but still.

Edit: Was just thinking about it, but it might be worthwhile to come up with an alternate list of common familiars in Ishka, and likely animal companions as well. While some of the animals would fit, others likely wouldn't make sense for the city and could likely be replaced with more fitting similarly low cr creatures. Also ones like the raven may carry connotations that many would not choose them.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-06-03 at 02:33 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

21. - Top - End - #1431

Vandelucht seems like it could work rather well. Used Stadindelutch as the district name though. I take it you intentionally put the name together to mean "of the sky" in Dutch?
    Yup, yahoo.bablefish for the win. (incidentaly it's also a conveniet way to come up with last names for Shadowrun characters)

As to alternate Familiar/animal companion lists, I will have to wait until I get home later and can take a look at my books to be able to figure something out for that.

On a completely unrelated note, someone posted a feat/trait/flaw whatever, I think it's called Multinational or something.....anyway the idea is that the character grew up in a place where there are several languages spoken on a regular basis so they know several different languages but none fluently. They have a d% chance to be able to communicate clearly in any given language (that they know), otherwise they wind up speaking in a miss-mash of different languages and are difficult to understand as a result. I'll have to find it to post a link because I'm not doing it justice right now.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there seems to be a handful of spelling and grammar errors, though I don't recall precisely where after having finished reading it. Given that the race is intended to not care for nature and generally have abandoned it, I'd suggest allowing them to leach off anything while sleeping, but if they do so with a creature it will become exhausted (if awake), need an additional hours rest (if asleep), or something similar. This would also open up the option of them purchasing or trading for the right to syphon energy off someone for the night, and occasionally them forcing subjects to do it unwillingly (though that would likely be illegal in many areas and frowned upon if one lacks a good reason).

It also seems it would be good to bring up what kind of family/social relations they have, as I expect being mainly plants, that they lack the standard set up that most races have.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure they'd reproduce asexually through spores, and they'd treat the whole grove that they were from as their "family". Raised by the village and all that. Now that I think about it, they could start off as parasites leaching energy off of other plants before reaching their mature form and being able to leach off of everything. Of course that just brings them back to being dependent on nature, but it's just speculation.
    Well, that could be solved by allowing the spores or young stages to leach off anything as well. Mind it may be the case that when they first get on something they're fairly easy to brush off or wash off, thus preventing any and every person going into a grove from becoming infected, but things like plants, rodents, etc. that may not take the time to do so, or would be too weak once the leaching kicked in, would have them start growing off of them. On the other hand they could also raise animals & plants for that purpose, as well as pay people to let one grow on them, among other things.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew