New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

I'm not saying I should necessarily be a captain But surely it will only work if there are more then one pirate ships.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post

T-O-E, you have been ignor'd.
    (not really)
    In this context:
    Internet stereotypes > historical accuracy

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    A pirate is simply someone who does crimes overseas. It doesn't have to be like the stereotypical Peter Pan-like pirates.
    Ooh! We should be Modern Pirates! Like the Somalian ones!

Also, I might just end up joining this one... Probably as a freelancer. Gotta see how the plot starts, first.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

4. - Top - End - #514

Just back from (more) backpacking, here are my thoughts on the SS plot so far (assuming that's the name, it's what Nameless used for his comic):
    -I would prefer just pirates, but I suppose vikings would be ok in addition (rival crew maybe? Just keep them separate)
    -Who says this needs to be realistic? I think people should be able to do whatever vikings or whatever they want (btw, this non-realistic thought applies to FI as well, that doesn't need to be historically accurate either, IMO)
    -I agree with no or at least minimal magic
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    Just back from (more) backpacking, here are my thoughts on the SS plot so far (assuming that's the name, it's what Nameless used for his comic):
    The Sea Scoundrels seems to be the unofficial official name for the plot, I recall one vote against, two for, and several people just using it anyway.
    -I would prefer just pirates, but I suppose vikings would be ok in addition (rival crew maybe? Just keep them separate)
    It's not a pirate plot, it's a water-borne plot. And ABR runs off Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny a lot, so Vikings shouldn't really present any troubles.
    -Who says this needs to be realistic? I think people should be able to do whatever vikings or whatever they want
    I doubt anyone will make more than a passing gesture towards historical accuracy, but it's still nice to get your facts straight before ignoring them.
    -I agree with no or at least minimal magic
    Personally, I'd press for more than a modicum of magic, not minimal casters. The occasional village healer perhaps, but the only battle-mage would be a end-boss type villain.
    And I'd quite like to have the odd magitek ship floating around, so... yeah.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Nameless what did you do? You cannot start it yet. I have not the time to work on it at the moment, and what about TLAPD? And I was hoping to make a starting comic myself.

*angst*

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Nameless what did you do? You cannot start it yet. I have not the time to work on it at the moment, and what about TLAPD? And I was hoping to make a starting comic myself.

*angst*
    I thought "Anything goes", right? Anyway, I did it because I wanted to put something up before I leave tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-08-16 at 04:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

You cannot start it yet. I have not the time to work on it at the moment, and what about TLAPD?
    TLAPD is five weeks away, we could easily have forgotten about the new plot by then. Hopefully, having the plot running will prevent it from being forgotten or getting bogged down in planning. And I'm sure the rest of ABR can run it while you're busy.
    And I was hoping to make a starting comic myself.
    Perhaps you could make the first comic later, and we slot into the eventual archive before Nameless's?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

I think I might make a Sea Scoundrels comic too.

Can people post a profile for their characters so that anybody making a comic has other characters to work with? I already posted my character.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Threeshades, tell me if this character would be able to fit into the plot or if you think he'll be overpowered. Because really, I can't tell at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show

Name: Malaria 87 (Nickname: Mal)
    Race: Furon (an alien race from the Destroy All Humans videogames).
    Age: 3 (His line of clones have existed for over 300 years, but it's only been three years since he was last cloned)
    Powers: PK, weak mind-reading (that is, he can only read a one random thought at a time that usually doesn't mean anything), Transmogrification (to turn inanimate objects into ammo)
    Weapons: Zap-O-Matic (A gun that zaps foes with fairly weak lightning. A very weak model), Ion Detonator (a grenade launcher that's grenades sticks to targets)
    Weaknesses: Incredibly physically weak, cannot swim (he dies instantly if he touches water, which is a pretty big firggen weakness in a boat-themed plot)

Mal is an alien scout from Furon sent to scout Avbaroy. His saucer crashed into the sea of Avbaroy. He couldn't swim, so his death seemed very likely. Luckily, he was rescued by the pirates, who he joined. His saucer sunk, along with most of his alien technology, including his weapons and cloning machine. Because of this, he cannot return home, and he is now mortal. He cannot revive himself through cloning.

He serves as a warrior aboard the pirate ship, although he usually stays behind and supplies the cannonballs with his Ion Detonator. He can hold his own in a fight, but usually chooses not to go off into battle because he is mortal now, has no energy shield to defend himself, is pretty weak, and if he falls off the side of the boat he's toast.

He is pretty unwise, which isn't uncommon among his race. He is very quick to anger. He is, however, very intelligent, which he needs to be to use PK. He is very perverted, which again is not uncommon amoung his race since Crypto came back with human DNA in Destroy All Humans, Path Of The Furon. However, he is pretty calm in comparison to most members of his race, and is usually the last on to go off into battle (this would make him a "Non-Action Guy" in the plot, I guess). He is somewhat more sensitive then a lot of Furons, and shows a lot more depth then you might expect.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-08-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Can people post a profile for their characters so that anybody making a comic has other characters to work with? I already posted my character.I think I might make a comic too.

Can people post a profile for their characters so that anybody making a comic has other characters to work with? I already posted my character.
    My character will be revealed as the plot thickens. e_e

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question and an advice for you:

Question: Why?

Advice: You need to play less videogames

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Question: Why?
    Why what?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

I already did, too. Along with my FI characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Well, after the usual response to my Experiment, I decided to start hand-drawing my involvement in ABR, in an effort to improve my skills. Got some character designs out of it.

First, for the pirate plot thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Marquis Michael A. von Zeppeli.
    Probably an antagonist, since if a marquis is associating with pirates it's generally to get rid of them. Skilled user of the "Ripple" martial art (a.k.a. Hamon, a.k.a. Sendô), which is based around a breathing technique which creates 'ripples' within one's bloodstream. These 'ripples' can be channeled through the martial artist's strikes into various forms of physical waves, or maintained as ripples, healing and/or strengthening certain materials. Also grants the user increased endurance and longevity.

Second, the character profiles for FI.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja Chocobo.
    Much the same as he was in FFF, only with somewhat different motivations, and the high-powered pistols he took from the site of the destroyed Hellsing headquarters. As the organisation no longer exists, he is no longer a member, but instead works with the ALF to rid the world of the Sovice.
    Motivations: 1. Protect Rose. 2. Destroy Sovice. 3. Destroy undead.

Rose.
    Seven years old, and attending primary school. Born in a rural village but rescued from a bandit attack by NC. No biological parents remain, but she looks to NC as a father figure.

Pristine Sylph of Denouement (née Rose).
    Essence eight Chosen of Endings, and Grandmistress of Sidereal Martial Arts. The reincarnation of NC's previous martial arts master who maintains all his memories and skills. Generally wears clothes belonging to her previous incarnation, despite them being far too large.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Why what?
    Why a videogame related alien character in a pirates story?

If it was one of the pirates from Mêlèe Island™, I would see what its doing there. Or any sea related game.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2009-08-16 at 05:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Why a videogame related alien character in a pirates story?
    Because it's awesome.

But seriously, it's because I really didn't want to just reuse the Qs again for this plot. And Destroy All Humans was the only thing I could think of at the time when I was brainstorming a character. Destroy All Humans: Path Of The Furon is currently my favourite game, you see.

I thought it'd be cool to have an alien pirate. Who says aliens can't be pirates? I think it could make for an interesting character.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-08-16 at 06:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Nameless, that better not be a catboy pirate or I'm gonna have to make a bunnygirl viking.

My god. That actually sounds like a fantastic idea. Someone hit me.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-16 at 06:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Banned

Uhhh... Sea Scoundrels? Whats this?

18. - Top - End - #528

Aaaand here's my Sea Scoundrels character:

Spoiler
    Show

(Nope, he's not a Mind Flayer.)

Name: Kalum

Kalum is part of a race of octopus-people that, for a number of reasons, has slowly been driven nearly to extinction during the past few decades. He is one of the few that remain. He's also an extraordinarily good swordsman (one of the best, in fact). Aside from this, he has no powers or abilities, other than being able to spit ink (but he rarely uses this) and breathe underwater.

For the past few years, Kalum has been in prison for an unknown crime. He managed to escape, and joined the pirate crew in order to get as far away from the island where he was imprisoned as possible (and maybe procure some treasure along the way).

Personality-wise, he is easily angered and slightly paranoid.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. And also suggestions for a better name.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

With college coming up, and with the number of things I'm already involved with, I don't feel that I'll be able to participate in sea-scoundrels.
    Of course, who knows, I may show up later tonight with a 4-page backstory and an entire crew's worth of artwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #530

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Uhhh... Sea Scoundrels? Whats this?
    It's the new plot. It's set in a world covered almost entirely by water with a few islands. The main characters are a crew of pirates.

That's the gist of it, anyway. More can be found earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Actually, have we decided whether it's going to be just one crew or multiple? I'm not entirely sure.

If we haven't, I think one crew would be best, just so the characters aren't spread too thin.
    Last edited by SinisterPenguin; 2009-08-16 at 07:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Nameless, that better not be a catboy pirate or I'm gonna have to make a bunnygirl viking.

My god. That actually sounds like a fantastic idea. Someone hit me.
    *slaps*
    Do it!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll be a troglodyte pirate who likes hiding in a barrel.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

She became a pirate as I drew her up.
    Spoiler
    Show

At first glance Alana Bronze is likely the best example of a standard bedtime story pirate - she's an adventurous treasure-hunter who has developed a habit of breaking the law. On the inside, however, is a girl who knows that this appearance is important to the public opinion of herself. She just doesn't care.

Alana can hold her own in a swordfight, but is not excellent, and greatly prefers to be on the other side of something that can hit from a distance. She is weakest when being hit by a group larger than two, as she cannot keep up with all of the combat developments. So long as she is winning, she's happy - but god help you if she starts losing. Alana has never been a gracious loser.

Her only special ability is that she can jump about twice as far and high as a normal person. (Bunny girl!)
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-16 at 07:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    She became a pirate as I drew her up.
    Spoiler
    Show

At first glance Alana Bronze is likely the best example of a standard bedtime story pirate - she's an adventurous treasure-hunter who has developed a habit of breaking the law. On the inside, however, is a girl who knows that this appearance is important to the public opinion of herself. She just doesn't care.

Alana can hold her own in a swordfight, but is not excellent, and greatly prefers to be on the other side of something that can hit from a distance. She is weakest when being hit by a group larger than two, as she cannot keep up with all of the combat developments. So long as she is winning, she's happy - but god help you if she starts losing. Alana has never been a gracious loser.

Her only special ability is that she can jump about twice as far and high as a normal person. (Bunny girl!)
    Hmmm... You should draw the ears so they're hanging down.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Hmmm... You should draw the ears so they're hanging down.
    What, you mean like... floppy and stuff? It always comes out looking weird.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

I just hope that at least one person is a normal human. Otherwise my Furon character won't seem so special.

I might create a normal human character instead of my Furon character if nobody else make a normal human. Still, I'd rather not.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Floppy Ears

or Non-Floppy ears?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Floppy ears. The non-floppy ears look a bit off, imo.

And it turns out my character is going to be the most normal one in this plot.... wow.
    Last edited by Calamity; 2009-08-16 at 08:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Floppy ears. The non-floppy ears look a bit off, imo.

And it turns out my character is going to be the most normal one in this plot.... wow.
    It honestly shouldn't surprise anyone that everyone is making weird characters... and all the normal 'Weird character makers' are making normal characters who, due to everyone else being weird are actually the odd ones out anyways?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Move the ears a bit closer together and make only one of them floppy. I Think that would give the best result.