New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

No, its been done before.

For instance, the guy who invented the KISS flaming guitars named his poodle, well, Poodle. Of course, he did have Asperger's Syndrome, and thus also had an easier time remembering the names he made up for people than their given names.

EDIT: Despite the title, I kind of like this most recent comic of mine, actually. It's actually a nice characterization for Mr. X.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-23 at 02:40 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    No, its been done before.

For instance, the guy who invented the KISS flaming guitars named his poodle, well, Poodle. Of course, he did have Asperger's Syndrome, and thus also had an easier time remembering the names he made up for people than their given names.

EDIT: Despite the title, I kind of like this most recent comic of mine, actually. It's actually a nice characterization for Mr. X.
    No discriminating of Aspergers, me and about three other people in ABR has it and we don't like being seen as idiots.

PS: It's a funny comic ...
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-08-23 at 02:59 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    No discriminating of Aspergers, me and about three other people in ABR has it and we don't like being seen as idiots.

Certainly autism is, if anything, more intellect than less intellect.

I don't think he was an example of idiocy in Asperger's though.

Now Tatsuya Ishida, there's someone I consider a black mark on AS' reputation.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Certainly autism is, if anything, more intellect than less intellect.

I don't think he was an example of idiocy in Asperger's though.

Now Tatsuya Ishida, there's someone I consider a black mark on AS' reputation.
    Autism don't actually affect the level of intellect, more how you use it.

He assumed that having Aspergers meant you can't remember other peoples names well, I consider that an insult.

Who? the name sound Japanese but I've never heard about it (so it's probably a musician of the 20th-21th century ).
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Never heard of it (not surprising those few games we get are published horrible late)

Pragmatic and original ('cause I don't think anyone has thought of it before)
    Well, you'd be getting your games astonishingly late if you haven't heard of the Lost Vikings because it wasnt published in Denmark yet. It's an SNES game.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm one of them.

I was just trying to point out that the man did thing in patterns like that, so it was kind of expected. No one is calling people with AS dumb here (In fact, on average, we're a bit on the smart side, if precocious).

The man I was discussing, John Elder Robinson, who's brother wrote Running With Scissors, by the way, is, undoubtedly, a genius. He is a wizard with mechanical things. That being said, he did have a troubled life, although part of it was because his mother was schizophrenic and his father was an alcoholic, and their psychiatrist only made things worse, half the time.

His autobiography, Look Me in the Eye, is a great book.

Traditional Autism is generally thought to lead to slight mental retardation, but I'd argue that that's more because they don't "think" the same way non-autistic people do. The fact that much of the world is a riot of colors and the like doesn't help at all*.

*Seriously. And the noise levels. One of my bigger problems is that loud noises over stimulate me. I don't even eat in the school cafeteria anymore!

EDIT: Actually, I'd argue that part of the problem, to me, is that parts of my brain work too well. I expect things to behave logically, and humans don't. Rules are made to be followed, but people don't follow them. They drive over the speed limit, they cut to the front of lines, and... Ok, now I'm going on a rant. But I think I made my point.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-23 at 05:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Just so long as none of them are self-diagnosed.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Not me, it was a licensed Psychiatrist. or psychologist. I honestly can't tell the difference. Which one writes prescriptions?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Working on a TSS comic, and for the record, drawing somebody steering a ship is surprisingly tough.
    Also, Basic Nautical terms all TSSers should know
    Bow: front of the ship, also Fore
    Stern: Back of the ship, also known as "Aft"
    Port: left side of the ship
    Starboard: Right side of the ship
    Windward: the direction the wind is coming from.
    Leeward: the direction the wind is blowing. If the wind is blowing towards the shore, then it's a "Leeward Shore".
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-23 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #850
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Port: left side of the ship
    Starboard: Right side of the ship
    Err, wasn't port right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Err, wasn't port right?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_%28nautical%29
    I grew up with my Dad reading Hornblower to me. And While I'm no sailor, I know left from right on a boat.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-23 at 06:42 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

New Sea Scoundrel's Up, a complication has arisen!

I can hear your questions "Is Stern shooting the speaking tube, or is she hoping the bullet will ricochet up and hit Bow?"
    The answer is Yes.
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #853

I know you intended the hands to be the same color as the ships, but you can't really see them against the hull...
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    I know you intended the hands to be the same color as the ships, but you can't really see them against the hull...
    The hand's are supposed to be made out of rope, and yeah, while they arn't exactly the same color, they are pretty similar. I'll have to figure out a way to fix that.
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

BRC, are these characters on a different boat?

Because A) It was daytime on the Mustard Queen, and B) They were sailing towards another ship, so I'd hazard no navigational aid was needed when using your eyes would suffice.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

BRC, are these characters on a different boat?

Because A) It was daytime on the Mustard Queen, and B) They were sailing towards another ship, so I'd hazard no navigational aid was needed when using your eyes would suffice.
    I imagined it as the same boat, somebody else had it nighttime out the windows, but I'm willing to make changes, especially considering how easy it is to change a sky color.
    As for the navigational aid, even if you can see you're target, dosn't mean you know all the shallows and reefs between you and it, hence the navigator with her chart.
    Also, it's stated they were "In Sight" of the ship, which probably means they've gotten close enoguh to determine, by telescope, how many ships there are. That's still quite a ways to go.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-23 at 07:11 PM.
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

True. I considered Nameless's Comic as sort of a tangental opening scene, sort of a page 0, if you will. I was tempted to put his character on the deck, still passed out, but thought it detracted from the joke.

Edit: As it turns out, it IS night out there. Woops. Err... There was some sort of temporary... moonflash... ...moonflash?

Screw this, I got nothing. Just put the daylight in mine and Sinister's comics as... who knows what.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-23 at 07:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Not me, it was a licensed Psychiatrist. or psychologist. I honestly can't tell the difference. Which one writes prescriptions?
    Psychiatrists use medication, Psychologists use words.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I imagined it as the same boat, somebody else had it nighttime out the windows, but I'm willing to make changes, especially considering how easy it is to change a sky color.
    As for the navigational aid, even if you can see you're target, dosn't mean you know all the shallows and reefs between you and it, hence the navigator with her chart.
    Also, it's stated they were "In Sight" of the ship, which probably means they've gotten close enoguh to determine, by telescope, how many ships there are. That's still quite a ways to go.
    I've changed the background in my comic to night, just to prevent any continuity problems.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

Who? the name sound Japanese but I've never heard about it (so it's probably a musician of the 20th-21th century ).
    He's the guy that came up with Pokemon

21. - Top - End - #861
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

O RLY?

Tatsuya Ishida is a comic book author/artist.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

22. - Top - End - #862
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Do either of those people have anything to do with autism in any form?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #863

Satoshi Tajiri has been diagonosed with Asperger's, though how he is a "black mark" on Asperger's reputation I don't know. He seems like a nice, intelligent, and creative person, albeit "reclusive" and "eccentric"
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2009-08-24 at 01:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh...well there's no way for me to try and explain how I got them mixed up without seeming racist...

Essentially I'm not a big fan of pokemon.

25. - Top - End - #865

True, but disliking a franchise is no reason to dislike the man nor is it reason to assume that he, in anyway, casts those with Asperger's Syndrome in an unfavorable light.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    True, but disliking a franchise is no reason to dislike the man nor is it reason to assume that he, in anyway, casts those with Asperger's Syndrome in an unfavorable light.
    The problem is that as a popular example of Asperger's, people aware of him and his condition tend to automatically assume that everyone with Asperger's is just like him.

Which, as someone who responds to questions immediately with the most correct answer, gets somewhat annoying when you're trying instead to learn in your science class.

27. - Top - End - #867

There are much worse things than Satoshi Tajiri to be generalized as. People could, for instance, assume all those who suffer from Asperger's Syndrome are like William Cottrell, a man convicted of repeated cases of arson.

By contrast, Satoshi Tajiri is a successful game designer with a wonderful amount creativity and whose creation is known worldwide, guilty of only being "reclusive" or "eccentric", which frankly are character traits broad enough to cover a great deal of people, mental conditions or no.

If he is a mark on those with the disease, it certainly isn't a black one.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also been a couple of school shooters with AS, which was a predicament I warned a number of school bullies about (to little effect I'm afraid).

I could either be the reclusive guy that spawns hundreds of adorable little critters beloved by tweens and anime fans...or the guy that stabs them a box cutter and goes back to studying immediately afterwards.

You'd think that'd have more impact really.

29. - Top - End - #869

Well, since you're British, you obviously also wear a stovepipe hat, drink tea, and watch Doctor Who.

And since you're a college student, you're obviously a binge-drinking sex addict.

And since you seem to spend a great deal of time on the internet, you're obviously some sort of sexual deviant here to seduce innocent children.

And since you're male, you're obviously an idiot.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

I'm one of them.

I was just trying to point out that the man did thing in patterns like that, so it was kind of expected. No one is calling people with AS dumb here (In fact, on average, we're a bit on the smart side, if precocious).

Traditional Autism is generally thought to lead to slight mental retardation, but I'd argue that that's more because they don't "think" the same way non-autistic people do. The fact that much of the world is a riot of colors and the like doesn't help at all*.

*Seriously. And the noise levels. One of my bigger problems is that loud noises over stimulate me. I don't even eat in the school cafeteria anymore!

EDIT: Actually, I'd argue that part of the problem, to me, is that parts of my brain work too well. I expect things to behave logically, and humans don't. Rules are made to be followed, but people don't follow them. They drive over the speed limit, they cut to the front of lines, and... Ok, now I'm going on a rant. But I think I made my point.
    Oh, four others then. Colors? Noise? I never noticed any problems with that. My ADD friend do though

Not me, it was a licensed Psychiatrist. or psychologist. I honestly can't tell the difference. Which one writes prescriptiodns?
    I got diagnosed by a professional child psychologist some years ago and I still think it don't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    And since you're a college student, you're obviously a binge-drinking sex addict.
    Are you telling me I have to live with classmates like that for that long That's it! I'm using plan D (D: Convince people I'm insane and live peacefully in an Asylum)

Is there other funny stereotypes (nerd, manga fan, foreigner, etc.)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.